Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

18 hours ago, dlandon said:

The question mark in credentials is a problem.  Post diagnostics when Windows 10 Pro does not work.

I just realized that I skipped one of the iterations, now all the machines work, but there are some changes compared to my previous post. To sum up: everything works fine if you add machine names instead of ip addresses and a local account with permissions. 

thank you for your help!

I tried running a backup to my local external drive that I hadn't done since I starting having lockup issues due to macvlan docker network type. I upgraded from 6.9.3 to 6.10.3 and then enabled the ipvlan, that solved that issue, but that is all that I did besides some updates of this plugin that is since my last backup. Now, I get these errors. Drive is encrypted with LUKS that unRAID saves info for unlocking drive once I plug in. I use another drive in a similar fashion but without encryption and it does not have an issue.

Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'Backup'...
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'Backup' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Backup'...
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Using Unraid api to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/Backup' '/mnt/disks/Backup'
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID kernel: /dev/mapper/Backup: Can't open blockdev
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount of 'Backup' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Backup: special device /dev/mapper/Backup does not exist. '
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Partition 'Backup' cannot be mounted.

Edited by Iceman24

Greetings,

I hope this is the right place to ask for help. I'm using UD as a means to backup data on an UnRaid 6.10 server. I'm using four 8TB devices that are hooked up using 3 Motherboard SATA 6gb slots and 1 USB/HS slot. To test some of the backup I opened a terminal and ran an rsync command;

"rsync -avztp /mnt/user/Archive* /mnt/disks/UnRaid_Backup2 --progress --log-file="/mnt/disks/UnRaid_Backup2/copylog.txt"

If I read rsync correctly this is pretty standard.

The problem that I'm running into is that during the copy progress the throughput will go from 150mb/s to 20k/s quite rapidly. (no pun intended) At first, I thought I had a bad disk. However, trying this same command on four different disks yielded the same results. Each test the drop in performance was at different locations. I tried both NTFS and XFS partitions with the same result. 

I hate to think that I have four bad drives. I don't have much experience using rsync and was wondering if that app could be the issue.

I was wondering if anybody else has had issues with UD as a backup strategy? Or what strategy is used to backup using UD?

I appreciate any feedback about this. 

Thanks,

"Desperate in Denver" 

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) , Version Rev 1.xx

128gb RAM

Intel® Core™ i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz

Edited by mattm1121
16 hours ago, dlandon said:

The remote server you are mounting the shares from is using the older SMB 2.0 protocol.  What is the remote server you are connecting to?

a STB (from vu+, mod. vuduo4kse) and yes, im aware of smb v2 here.

so if thats the reason, the every 10 min check will report an error due < smb v3 i assume and its normal ? even its connected and working as supposed to.

7 hours ago, alturismo said:

a STB (from vu+, mod. vuduo4kse) and yes, im aware of smb v2 here.

so if thats the reason, the every 10 min check will report an error due < smb v3 i assume and its normal ? even its connected and working as supposed to.

My point is that you might try to apply an update to the STB because of the older SMB protocol.  I cannot find any information on the log message you are getting.  If everything is working correctly, you can filter those log messages.  The Enhanced Log Plugin allows you to filter log messages.

• Thanks 1
On 9/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, Iceman24 said:

I tried running a backup to my local external drive that I hadn't done since I starting having lockup issues due to macvlan docker network type. I upgraded from 6.9.3 to 6.10.3 and then enabled the ipvlan, that solved that issue, but that is all that I did besides some updates of this plugin that is since my last backup. Now, I get these errors. Drive is encrypted with LUKS that unRAID saves info for unlocking drive once I plug in. I use another drive in a similar fashion but without encryption and it does not have an issue.

Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'Backup'...
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'Backup' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Backup'...
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Using Unraid api to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/Backup' '/mnt/disks/Backup'
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID kernel: /dev/mapper/Backup: Can't open blockdev
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount of 'Backup' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Backup: special device /dev/mapper/Backup does not exist. '
Sep 23 11:26:34 unRAID unassigned.devices: Partition 'Backup' cannot be mounted.

Did I post this in the wrong place? Should I have started to different thread for this issue? I don't know if the issue is with this plugin or something else.

6 minutes ago, Iceman24 said:

Did I post this in the wrong place? Should I have started to different thread for this issue? I don't know if the issue is with this plugin or something else.

When the Unraid api is used to open the luks device, it does not provide any feedback on whether or not it was successful.  The following line tells me that your credentials failed and the luks open did not create the /dev/mapper/ device.

8 minutes ago, Iceman24 said:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

When the Unraid api is used to open the luks device, it does not provide any feedback on whether or not it was successful.  The following line tells me that your credentials failed and the luks open did not create the /dev/mapper/ device.

Thanks. I didn't change anything related to this, so not sure how this could be. How do I wipe the credentials and reenter them?

11 minutes ago, Iceman24 said:

Thanks. I didn't change anything related to this, so not sure how this could be. How do I wipe the credentials and reenter them?

The disk is trying to use the Unraid password/passphrase to open that device.  Has it changed since the disk was formatted?

You can enter the specific disk password in the UD settings if it is different from Unraid.

The disk password cannot be recovered or changed.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The disk is trying to use the Unraid password/passphrase to open that device.  Has it changed since the disk was formatted?

You can enter the specific disk password in the UD settings if it is different from Unraid.

The disk password cannot be recovered or changed.

Thanks. That led me to finding the place to set the encrypted password, which I just used what I had originally set it as. It must've forgot it between updates or whatever.

1 minute ago, Stubbs said:

Can array drives be mounted as unassigned devices?

Like, if I wanted to temporarily remove a drive from my array, plug it into a docking station and connect it to the server via USB, could it safely be used as an unassigned device with all its data intact?

Yes, but be careful.  You should set the UD read only switch so you don't make any changes to the disk and invalidate parity.  If you want to write to the disk, you'll have to re-write parity as a write operation to the data disk will invalidate parity.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Yes, but be careful.  You should set the UD read only switch so you don't make any changes to the disk and invalidate parity.  If you want to write to the disk, you'll have to re-write parity as a write operation to the data disk will invalidate parity.

Understood, thank you.

49 minutes ago, dlandon said:

you'll have to re-write parity as a write operation to the data disk will invalidate parity

To make this even clearer, even mounting an array disk as writeable outside the array will invalidate parity and require a full parity rebuild when you put it back in the array.

Why do you want to do this anyway?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

To make this even clearer, even mounting an array disk as writeable outside the array will invalidate parity and require a full parity rebuild when you put it back in the array.

Why do you want to do this anyway?

See what JonathanM linked above.

I'm exploring solutions that will let me transfer data on my current array to a new set of HDDs, while minimizing the downtime of my current array's data. I figured maybe temporarily mounting a current array drive as a read-only unassigned device while building the data on the new drives might be an ok option.

26 minutes ago, Stubbs said:

mounting a current array drive as a read-only unassigned device while building the data on the new drives might be an ok option

You mean transferring data from an array disk mounted read-only outside the array, onto another disk in that same array, while that same array is missing the disk ? ? ?

Unless you have dual parity, an array with a missing disk has no parity protection.

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

You mean transferring data from an array disk mounted read-only outside the array, onto another disk in that same array, while that same array is missing the disk ? ? ?

Unless you have dual parity, an array with a missing disk has no parity protection.

I know this sounds a bit complicated, but:

I want my new 4x10TB Hard Drives to replace my current array Hard Drives (1x3TB parity, 2x3TB & 2x2TB).

I don't have any SATA ports left, and cannot fit an HBA Card in right now.

So I was thinking of taking the current array drives out, putting them in an HDD USB3 Docking Station, connecting it to the Unraid Server and mounting them as read-only Unassigned Devices. This way, my current array's data will still be available when I build the array on the new drives.

Then I could put my new 10TB hard drives in the SATA bays of the server, maybe preclear them (I don't know if this is still important in 6.9+), then build parity, then either rebuild the data from parity or transfer it over from the old array disks mounted as unassigned devices, or just restore my data backups. I suspect doing the latter could lead to parity problems so I might have to rebuild it.

Edited by Stubbs