Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Are you using 6.11.2? There's a bug partitioning >2TB drives, looks like UD is also affected.

Yes!

I am using 6.11.2

Is there any ETA for the fixed version?

My Problem drive is 4TB, where the xfs/btrfs formatting is not working.

My working drive is 2TB

Edit:
After downgrading to 6.11.1 the formatting is working again!!!

Thank you very much.

Dammed i lost nearly a day for debugging^^

Edited by unr41dus3r

Hi,

i hope this is the right way to ask for help. Up til now my unraid server was an no brainer. I have a external usb 2TB hdd to be used as local backup for some of my shares. I run now 6.11.2 but i gues the problem started below 6.11.  I have both unassigned devices latest versions installed and destructive mode is enabled. I see the drive but in cannot mount or unmount it (no option available) it says "passed" and there is the small minus under the drie but its gray.  If i press  disk log information i got the following snippet.

Any idea how i can "reactivate " the drive.

BR

Zappmax

---------------------------

Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdh] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.82 TiB)
Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdh] Write Protect is off
Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdh] Mode Sense: 34 00 00 00
Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdh] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sdh: sdh1
Nov  6 18:17:56 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sdh] Attached SCSI disk
Nov  6 18:18:27 Tower  emhttpd: Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK1171YAGNNYMS (sdh) 512 3907029168
Nov  6 18:18:27 Tower  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdh
Nov  6 18:33:56 Tower  emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdh
Nov  6 18:34:58 Tower  emhttpd: spinning up /dev/sdh
Nov  6 18:34:59 Tower  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdh 

-----------------------------

10 minutes ago, Zappmax said:

@dlandon thx "Passed Through" was the solution, dont know exacvtly why but it solved my problem

'Passed Through' is used to indicate a disk being used outside UD by a Docker Container or a VM.  That tells UD not to do anything with the disk, and to disable any user actions.  UD mounting a disk or clearing a disk used by a Container or VM will cause corruption or lost data,

plugin: updating: unassigned.devices.plg
plugin: downloading: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices-2022.11.09.tgz" ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices-2022.11.09.tgz" download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

15 minutes ago, orlando500 said:

plugin: downloading: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices-2022.11.09.tgz" ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices-2022.11.09.tgz" download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

Try again.

Hi, I'm new to unRAID.

I'm having trouble deleting any files on my unassigned drive. It is a NTFS formatted drive, with perm 

drwxrwxrwx . I have tried deleting in unRAID when browsing the dir. It lets me checkmark the folders and hit delete, but nothing happens. This also happens in krusader and also when i connect to the drive from a windows 10 machine. It lets me highight folder and delete (progress bar appears and looks successful when doing it from win 10 machine), but all the files and folders are still there after.

Any help appreciated!

2 minutes ago, Nell1983 said:

Hi, I'm new to unRAID.

I'm having trouble deleting any files on my unassigned drive. It is a NTFS formatted drive, with perm 

drwxrwxrwx . I have tried deleting in unRAID when browsing the dir. It lets me checkmark the folders and hit delete, but nothing happens. This also happens in krusader and also when i connect to the drive from a windows 10 machine. It lets me highight folder and delete (progress bar appears and looks successful when doing it from win 10 machine), but all the files and folders are still there after.

Any help appreciated!

Post diagnostics zip file.

The ntfs disk is mounted read only:

Nov  9 19:23:55 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'ntfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdg2' '/mnt/disks/06.00TB'
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Version 2022.5.17 integrated FUSE 27
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Mounted /dev/sdg2 (Read-Only, label "06.00TB", NTFS 3.1)
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Mount options: nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,ro,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdg2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'sdg2' on '/mnt/disks/06.00TB'.
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) Could not mount read-write, trying read-only .

Read the last line on how to fix this.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

The ntfs disk is mounted read only:

Nov  9 19:23:55 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'ntfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdg2' '/mnt/disks/06.00TB'
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Version 2022.5.17 integrated FUSE 27
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Mounted /dev/sdg2 (Read-Only, label "06.00TB", NTFS 3.1)
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Mount options: nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,ro,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdg2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS  ntfs-3g[5860]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'sdg2' on '/mnt/disks/06.00TB'.
Nov  9 19:23:56 NeilsonNAS unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) Could not mount read-write, trying read-only .

Read the last line on how to fix this.

Thanks for trying to help. I put the disk back in my windows PC, booted up. Formatted the drive. Shut down completely, moved drive over to unRAID machine, booted up and I'm still getting the same error in the logs. 

Hello, so I am moving from Synology NAS to UNRAID. I have about 40TB of data to move. I copied all the data over 3x 18TB drives. Synology only supports formatting to ext4. I formatted the drives in Synology and started my 4 days of copying via a USB dock.   

Back to my UNRAID, I connected the drives via the onboard SATA connector. UD, lsscsi and lsblk sees the drives, but I can not mount them so I can access them in Krusader to transfer the files to my UNRAID. I played with the switches in UD+, but when I got to /mnt/disks/ I see nothing "0".  

I searched and read thru some of the comments but, there seems to be mixed information on EXT4 support for UD and UD+. I would like to avoid transferring 40TB via 1G network connection. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I know some people will recommend other methods. But I would really like to transfer data SATA (ext4) to UNRAID

Here is the error from logs when I hit the mount button. 

unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdd1' mount point '1.42.6-25426' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.

2 minutes ago, powerplyer said:

Hello, so I am moving from Synology NAS to UNRAID. I have about 40TB of data to move. I copied all the data over 3x 18TB drives. Synology only supports formatting to ext4. I formatted the drives in Synology and started my 4 days of copying via a USB dock.   

Back to my UNRAID, I connected the drives via the onboard SATA connector. UD, lsscsi and lsblk sees the drives, but I can not mount them so I can access them in Krusader to transfer the files to my UNRAID. I played with the switches in UD+, but when I got to /mnt/disks/ I see nothing "0".  

I searched and read thru some of the comments but, there seems to be mixed information on EXT4 support for UD and UD+. I would like to avoid transferring 40TB via 1G network connection. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I know some people will recommend other methods. But I would really like to transfer data SATA (ext4) to UNRAID

Here is the error from logs when I hit the mount button. 

Just as the error says.  You need to be sure each mount pont is unique.  You have duplicates.  Click on the blue mount point, and change the name to be unique.  Then you can mount disks.

Trying to install the latest update, getting an error.

plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices-2022.11.11.tgz ... 8%
plugin: unassigned.devices-2022.11.11.tgz download failure: File I/O error
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Is this something wrong on my end, or the file host?

Edit: on UnRaid 6.11.3

Edited by Alex.vision
add information about OS
3 minutes ago, Alex.vision said:

Trying to install the latest update, getting an error.

plugin: downloading: unassigned.devices-2022.11.11.tgz ... 8%
plugin: unassigned.devices-2022.11.11.tgz download failure: File I/O error
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Is this something wrong on my end, or the file host?

Just worked for me.  Try again.