Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Unexpected spin down in Unraid 6.11.5

Scenario:

1. Insert one Sata SSD and pass through this disk to a Synology VM.

2. Mark the SSD as passed through in UD settings.

image.thumb.png.c569cceb71b71e39e99a6c37c80c1b28.png

But Unraid alway spin down this SSD disk intervally and VM will spin it up right away. This is very anony.

It seems there is no disk activity from Unraid OS, so unraid will spin it down every 15 min (which is my disk setting)

Is it possible to ignore the spin down of this passed through disk? I have no need to spin it down and just want to keep it running.  Thanks.

@dlandon

image.png.3b2f161f8e0d4fe8367b73ecd6d66cbc.png

Edited by jinlife
1 hour ago, jinlife said:

Is it possible to ignore the spin down of this passed through disk? I have no need to spin it down and just want to keep it running. 

If you click on the drive on the Main tab then you can set the spindown delay for that specific drive from the resulting dialog.   This will then precedence over your global setting for spindown on that drive.

20 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you click on the drive on the Main tab then you can set the spindown delay for that specific drive from the resulting dialog.   This will then precedence over your global setting for spindown on that drive.

Thanks for reminding, I cannot find this setting, it looks like the setting does not exist for unassigned disk or passed through disk.

This is a normal cache setting:

image.png.1d6d4d94cf0889c78cae9e6119388006.png

This is unassigned disk Dev 1, all settings are missing.

image.png.fe857be98650962061315c0479fb5d18.png

Edited by jinlife
1 minute ago, dlandon said:

There is no spin down control on UD devices.  The best way to do this is to set the global spin down to never spin down disks, then set a spin down on the disks you want to spin down.

This is really a smart setting. Just tried, problem solved! Thanks a lot.

Hello! I recently replaced my single left over cache SSD for two new SSD's and i want to use the left over SSD with unassigned devices. However i cannot mount or format the SSD or anything like that:

image.thumb.png.fbb6f5b14f46c77beb09d4fc06636ca0.png

When i press the red cross that says "clear disk" it wants me to type "yes" and after that, nothing changes. The SSD was previously BTRFS formatted. What do i have to do to format/mount the SSD?

Edited by YourNightmar3
38 minutes ago, YourNightmar3 said:

Hello! I recently replaced my single left over cache SSD for two new SSD's and i want to use the left over SSD with unassigned devices. However i cannot mount or format the SSD or anything like that:

image.thumb.png.fbb6f5b14f46c77beb09d4fc06636ca0.png

When i press the red cross that says "clear disk" it wants me to type "yes" and after that, nothing changes. The SSD was previously BTRFS formatted. What do i have to do to format/mount the SSD?

Did you type 'Yes' with a cap 'Y'?

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Do you have the latest version of UD installed?  I recently made a change.  Also check the log.  It may show a message suggesting a reboot to finish removing the partition.

Ah you're right. It said this in the console:

Dec 14 19:15:47 Tower unassigned.devices: Remove all partitions 'partprobe' result: Error: Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sdc have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

I rebooted the server, accessed the GUI and saw the partition was removed. However soon after that my entire server froze. The display out on my KVM was also frozen. I hard shutoff the server and rebooted again, and now it seems to be working without any issues. I managed to format and mount the unassigned SSD :). Not sure if that freeze was related to UD but i thought i'd mention it because it's definitely weird.

Hello - i am getting an issue where my windows shares cant connect to unraid.  My network shares are all showing as "disconnected" and I keep getting the same error message for every network drive I have mapped:

image.png.a242fbc5b1bfe1f8a770e2e8ebd7ccb0.png

I went through Google troubleshooting but figured I'd stop by here and realized that UD controls the windows shares.  That being said, the only changes I've made on the servers are updating the UD plugins a couple days ago.  I know my shares worked a week ago so I am assuming this is the problem.  Anyone else having similar problems?  How do i roll back my plugins?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

Hello - i am getting an issue where my windows shares cant connect to unraid.  My network shares are all showing as "disconnected" and I keep getting the same error message for every network drive I have mapped:

image.png.a242fbc5b1bfe1f8a770e2e8ebd7ccb0.png

I went through Google troubleshooting but figured I'd stop by here and realized that UD controls the windows shares.  That being said, the only changes I've made on the servers are updating the UD plugins a couple days ago.  I know my shares worked a week ago so I am assuming this is the problem.  Anyone else having similar problems?  How do i roll back my plugins?

Thanks!

Remove UD and see if the situation changes.

35 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Remove UD and see if the situation changes.

I uninstalled all Unassigned Devices (preclear, plus, and UD) and still have the problem.  Do I need to restart the server?  The odd thing is that I can access plex via the browser and access the server via Putty from my windows PC.  Its only my windows shares that dont work. 

Edited by Hawkins12
13 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

I uninstalled all Unassigned Devices (preclear, plus, and UD) and still have the problem.  Do I need to restart the server?  The odd thing is that I can access plex via the browser and access the server via Putty from my windows PC.  Its only my windows shares that dont work. 

If you have all your Unraid shares set for Public access, you'll need to make some changes on your Windows clients.  Microsoft has made some changes recently that causes this issue with Public shares.

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

If you have all your Unraid shares set for Public access, you'll need to make some changes on your Windows clients.  Microsoft has made some changes recently that causes this issue with Public shares.

I dont have all or many of my shares set to Public but I'll give that a try.  I guess I am back to square one.  Any idea what changes Msft has made?  This issue literally started within the last week.  I am trying to figure out how to roll back any Windows updates as well. 

12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't see in the log where it was ever installed.

Yes, now it is seems like nerver installed before. But I am quiet sure it was installed before (to formart a disk), and never uninstalled it mannually. Does any action could result in uninstalled UD Plus from system silently?

Is that possile the UD Plus is installed in one of the array disk, however I booted into system without array disk ever (or missing part of array disk), system could not recognize UD Plus corretly and regard it as never installed?

Here is some action I did before I realized UD Plus was disappear:

1. Removed and Reinstalled Network Adaptor;

2.Removed HDD and booted into Unraid, and then attached back HDD, booted into Unraid;

3.Upgraded to a whole different motherboard (but in same chipset), booted into system without HDD;

last action I did is attach back all HDD to the motherboard intergrated HBA to SATA ports, booted into sytem with HDDs. found UD Plus is missing, while array stopped and started.

8 minutes ago, Albert Wu said:

Yes, now it is seems like nerver installed before. But I am quiet sure it was installed before (to formart a disk), and never uninstalled it mannually. Does any action could result in uninstalled UD Plus from system silently?

Is that possile the UD Plus is installed in one of the array disk, however I booted into system without array disk ever (or missing part of array disk), system could not recognize UD Plus corretly and regard it as never installed?

Here is some action I did before I realized UD Plus was disappear:

1. Removed and Reinstalled Network Adaptor;

2.Removed HDD and booted into Unraid, and then attached back HDD, booted into Unraid;

3.Upgraded to a whole different motherboard (but in same chipset), booted into system without HDD;

last action I did is attach back all HDD to the motherboard intergrated HBA to SATA ports, booted into sytem with HDDs. found UD Plus is missing, while array stopped and started.

+ the screen captures showing the UD Plus folder is existed in Boot Flash disk:

779948370__20221217_231229.thumb.png.c97703121b6cfb7b40548f8dd0d233d0.png

408669819__20221217_231211.thumb.png.8c4cc8f31563a5f4c2e7979bc04a2ce1.png

32 minutes ago, Albert Wu said:

UD+ will not install if UD is not installed.  If UD is uninstalled, UD+ will not install on the next boot.

24 minutes ago, Albert Wu said:

+ the screen captures showing the UD Plus folder is existed in Boot Flash disk:

Those are the packages installed by UD+, but the plugin has to be installed to install those packages.  Go to the 'Apps' and re-install UD+.  Everything should work then.

I'm using a Luks->Ext4 (with system enc key) external HDD. In the past mounting this device was working well, however after last reboot (and perhaps a new version of UD) I'm no longer able to mount the device because UD tries to mount it as XFS. Decrypting and mounting the volume manually wis working fine so it's not an issue of the device, see also the log:

Dec 18 19:15:11 lud unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'WD_Elements_25A3'...
Dec 18 19:15:11 lud unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'WD_Elements_25A3' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/WD_Elements_25A3'...
Dec 18 19:15:11 lud unassigned.devices: Using Unraid api to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Dec 18 19:15:11 lud  emhttpd: shcmd (281): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 WD_Elements_25A3
Dec 18 19:15:13 lud unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/WD_Elements_25A3' '/mnt/disks/WD_Elements_25A3'
Dec 18 19:15:13 lud kernel: XFS (dm-5): Invalid superblock magic number