Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 hours ago, chuckthetekkie said:

It seems that Unassigned Devices is now blocking ZFS Pools from working. They work if I uninstall UD. I even deleted the UD cfg and ZFS pools still don't work.

karamediagroup-diagnostics-20230304-2349.zip 220.1 kB · 0 downloads

Do you have a ZFS Pool configuration problem?

Mar  4 20:34:17 KaraMediaGroup  zed[8063]: zed_udev_monitor: skip /dev/sdm1 (in use by ntfs)

I had a slightly different problem. I can see the disk share but was unable to access it, even with a user that has access and that works on VMs and the WebGUI. So I set the option "Add 'force user = nobody' to SMB share config?" and then I was able to read from the share but I am unable to write. If I want to create or delete files/folders Windows keeps telling me that I need permission. I was able to do writing before the update. So I disabled that Add force... option again and now everything works as before. Don't know if this toggling helps others as well.

My SMB Security is set to Yes and the user i'm using has Read/Write Access to all shares.

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Do you have a ZFS Pool configuration problem?

Mar  4 20:34:17 KaraMediaGroup  zed[8063]: zed_udev_monitor: skip /dev/sdm1 (in use by ntfs)

If I uninstall UD my ZFS Pools work no problem. When I reinstall UD my ZFS Pools stop working. 

SDM is an NTFS drive and not part of my ZFS Pools.

Edited by chuckthetekkie

The NTFS Disk in UD for me is for a Windows VM in passthrough.

I currently cannot even have UD installed as it is somehow stopping my 2 ZFS Pools from being seen and accessed. With UD installed I can't even Export the pools as it say it cannot find "X" Dataset. With UD uninstalled I get no such errors. No idea what is going on now. 

I originally put a HDD (my #71) in UD as NTFS, and it had only 1 partition named "71".  Now I am trying to reformat it as XFS.  But it seems it is not working.  The steps used were:

1.  Unmount

2.  Delete partition

3a.  Format as XFS

3b.  But the old partition listing "71" comes back just before the end of the format process.

4.  So I click "Mount" anyway, and the old partition remains.

I am concerned that the old partition "71" did not stay deleted when I reformatted.  The partition is empty, and I can rename it, so I hope all is OK.  

Edited by xrqp

Now I am copying 3 TB of files from the unraid array to this unassigned HDD formatted as XFS.  It started about 100 MiB/s and slowed down to 66 MiB/s after 1TB.  All drives are SATA wired.  Use cache is set to "no".

Edited by xrqp
18 hours ago, gentux said:

I had a slightly different problem. I can see the disk share but was unable to access it, even with a user that has access and that works on VMs and the WebGUI. So I set the option "Add 'force user = nobody' to SMB share config?" and then I was able to read from the share but I am unable to write. If I want to create or delete files/folders Windows keeps telling me that I need permission. I was able to do writing before the update. So I disabled that Add force... option again and now everything works as before. Don't know if this toggling helps others as well.

My SMB Security is set to Yes and the user i'm using has Read/Write Access to all shares.

That option probably corrected some permissions on your UD device.

7 hours ago, xrqp said:

I originally put a HDD (my #71) in UD as NTFS, and it had only 1 partition named "71".  Now I am trying to reformat it as XFS.  But it seems it is not working.  The steps used were:

1.  Unmount

2.  Delete partition

3a.  Format as XFS

3b.  But the old partition listing "71" comes back just before the end of the format process.

4.  So I click "Mount" anyway, and the old partition remains.

I am concerned that the old partition "71" did not stay deleted when I reformatted.  The partition is empty, and I can rename it, so I hope all is OK.  

Are you using the latest version of UD?  I think that might be fixed now.

7 hours ago, xrqp said:

Now I am copying 3 TB of files from the unraid array to this unassigned HDD formatted as XFS.  It started about 100 MiB/s and slowed down to 66 MiB/s after 1TB.  All drives are SATA wired.  Use cache is set to "no".

This is probably due to the Linux disk caching.  The first writes go to ram , then eventually to disk.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:09 AM, Jef74 said:

Hi,

Started to use UD to mount a NAS to my Unraid, I have configured it to automount under settings but if I make a reboot of the unraid it will not automount, I need to click Mount manually to get it to work.

What have I missed to do?

Thanks for good work!

Post diagnostics.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, dlandon said:

There is a new feature in UD to help with plugins that need a mount point folder.  UD now creates a mount folder '/mnt/addons'.  This folder should be used to mount your plugin devices to prevent FCP warnings and keep your mounts separated from UD.  It is recommended you switch to this new folder for your addon and custom mounts.  You are welcome to leave the mounts at '/mnt/disks' or '/mnt/remotes'.  Things will still work, but if you request support for UD issues, you will be asked to remove them first.  One thing to keep in mind is there is a protection added to the '/mnt/addons' so a misconfigured app cannot fill the rootfs and crash the system.  If you mount something at '/mnt/addons' before UD is installed, you will see a reboot message over the banner.  This is because UD cannot apply the protection while a device is mounted at '/mnt/addons'.  You will have to delay any mounts at '/mnt/addons' until UD has installed.

So what does this mean for me? I have a mount for security camera footage I use an UD for. It is currently mounted at /mnt/disks/security_recordings. Am I right in my interpretation that the recommendation is the move that to /mnt/addons/security_recordings?  The only mapping of this folder is to Frigate

If that is the case, does this mean I should delete the /disks and /remote folders?

3 minutes ago, CybranNakh said:

So what does this mean for me? I have a mount for security camera footage I use an UD for. It is currently mounted at /mnt/disks/security_recordings. Am I right in my interpretation that the recommendation is the move that to /mnt/addons/security_recordings?  The only mapping of this folder is to Frigate

If that is the case, does this mean I should delete the /disks and /remote folders?

The /mnt/addons folder is only for mounted devices not mounted or managed by UD.  If UD mounted it, there is nothing you need to do.