Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

37 minutes ago, trurl said:

Probably no current version of UD is going to be compatible with whatever old version Unraid you have (you don't say).

You can mount disks at the command line. What filesystem?

I updated to Unraid 6.11.5 and overall the system still works. Well minus anything CA.

So I'd like to mount an external USB drive formatted in exFAT, any hints on mounting through the command line would be greatly appreciated!

36 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can transfer its data over the network of course.

Yeah, that would be my fallback option in case I can't mount the USB drive directly – but I'd really like to be sure about  alternative options as the transfer will take some time…

30 minutes ago, lwi said:

Yeah, that would be my fallback option in case I can't mount the USB drive directly – but I'd really like to be sure about  alternative options as the transfer will take some time…

Go to the Plugins->Install Plugins tab and enter this line:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices.plg

It will install UD.

1 hour ago, lwi said:

Depending on the USB implementation, network may actually be faster. Give it a try, but if you have a healthy 1000Mb network, your overall time to transfer will probably be either the same or better there, and it's going to be less hassle.

10 hours ago, dlandon said:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices.plg

It will install UD.

9 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Depending on the USB implementation, network may actually be faster. Give it a try, but if you have a healthy 1000Mb network, your overall time to transfer will probably be either the same or better there, and it's going to be less hassle.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try!

And a really amazing community – I'm impressed 🙂

15 hours ago, dlandon said:

It will install UD.

And this worked out exactly like I hoped it would! Copying speed is much faster than over the network.

As I wanted to mount exfat, I used this link in the end to install UA+:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/master/unassigned.devices-plus.plg

Hello,

Since few hours, I have been struggling to mount the remote SMB share called "Audio Studio E". When adding the remote SMB share, I entered the username (which is 5 letters) and pwd (combination of letters and numbers), and I had to enter the shared folder by hand  (because it didn't detect it). The corresponding Unraid user is created with the same credentials.

The log shows the error: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

I'm attaching the diagnostics file. 

Could anyone help me? This is very frustrating. 

sunlightprime-diagnostics-20230513-2050.zip

Edited by sunshine59
3 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

The log shows the error: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

Try using the AUDIO-PC IP address instead of the name.

If UD doesn't list the shares available on a remote server, it won't be able to mount it.  One reason that shares may not be listed in UD is incorrect credentials.  Work on getting UD to list shares.

There are also some timeout issues with CIFS iun your log:

May 13 19:19:34 SunLightPrime kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\VFX has not responded in 180 seconds. Reconnecting...

But that is with another server.

It would help in the future to turn off the mover logging.  There are a lot of log messages from that in the log to go through.

2 minutes ago, Gimletho said:

Someone can help me please?

Settings only show if the disk has a valid partition with a recognized file system.  What file system did you format on the partition?

UD won't be able to mount the disk, even if passed through is turned off.  Linux does not recognize the file system.

20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Settings only show if the disk has a valid partition with a recognized file system.  What file system did you format on the partition?

UD won't be able to mount the disk, even if passed through is turned off.  Linux does not recognize the file system.

Thank you for your help. I did format with xfs (sudo mkfs.xfs /dev/vdb) 

778612183_Capturadepantalla2023-05-19alas19_27_01.thumb.jpg.42db22a6ae09c43713dac183c58a14ff.jpg

19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The device is mounted at /mnt/nvme.  Why?

UD shouldn't mount it if it is already mounted somewhere else.  It will cause corruption of the disk if UD does manage to mount it.

It's mounted in the VM for testing purpose. The VM is stopped now.

I don't know if is important but the reason I did format the disk is because the filesystem was linux_raid_member. I used this disk in a Synology NAS (caché).

I tried formatting in UD at first but the filesystem did not change and linux_raid_member continued to be the filesystem. The disk was not possible to mount. My only option was pass through to a VM and this is the reason for formatting from VM.

I hope that my bad English can be enough to make me understand

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Enable the UD destructive mode in Settings->Unassigned Devices and then use the clear disk (click on red 'X') by the serial number.  That will clear the disk of all partitions.

Thank you. I'm going to try learn how I must do this

I have found an additional issue in UD where the Unraid wave continues to show and does not go away.  This comes from ISO and Remote Shares with unprintable (from languages like Chinese) and php reserved characters being used to identify the share.  This is mostly an issue when English is not used on the server, but will occasionally occur on an English language server with characters like '#' in the ISO file name or Remote share name.

If you experience this issue, do the following:

• Delete the '/flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/iso_mount.cfg' file.
  • Click on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page.
  • Refresh the UD page.
  • If the Unraid wave continues,  Delete the '/flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg' file.
  • Click on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page.
  • Refresh the UD page.

You will have to then add your ISO and Remote shares back to UD.

The next release of UD will take care of both ISO and Remote shares.