Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

A few months ago I tried to use this plugin to move from rfs to xfs disk format.

I formatted the xfs drive in the plugin but after copying the files from the rfs drive, unRaid did not like the new xfs disk.  I couldn't mount it in the array.

At that time someone said that the xfs format laid down by this plugin was not unRaid array compatible.  Is this still true?

Why complicate the process by adding one more step? Why not add the disk to the array at once and let it be formatted as xfs?

I just tried this plugin on a sata drive outside the array (to replace SNAP plugin).

I use no script, mount and share is set in "Main" setup.

Read is OK, but I can't write on the share from my Windows PC (authorization error).

Thank's for help.

Click on the 'Help' button then click on the 'Download" button and download the log.  Then post it so I can review it.

here is the log file : i only want to mount and share the WD disk, i don't use the ST disk.

unraid-unassigned.devices-20160124-2252.zip

I just tried this plugin on a sata drive outside the array (to replace SNAP plugin).

Read is OK, but I can't write on the share from my Windows PC (authorization error).

Thank's for help.

Click on the 'Help' button then click on the 'Download" button and download the log.  Then post it so I can review it.

here is the log file : i only want to mount and share the WD disk, i don't use the ST disk.

Go to the command line and get a copy of this file: /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/BACKUP_DD.conf and post it.  This will show the read and write privileges of the share.

A few months ago I tried to use this plugin to move from rfs to xfs disk format.

I formatted the xfs drive in the plugin but after copying the files from the rfs drive, unRaid did not like the new xfs disk.  I couldn't mount it in the array.

At that time someone said that the xfs format laid down by this plugin was not unRaid array compatible.  Is this still true?

Yes.  Hasn't changed.  Let unraid format the drive when it is added to the array.

Thank's for help.

Go to the command line and get a copy of this file: /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/BACKUP_DD.conf and post it.  This will show the read and write privileges of the share.

I don't understand : "invalid users = @users"

=> I enabled SMB Security in the Plugin settings and set R/W for me and Read-only for an other user!

BACKUP_DD.conf

Thank's for help.

=> I enabled SMB Security in the Plugin settings and set R/W for me and Read-only for an other user!

Are you sure you aren't having a Windows issue? Windows will only allow one login from one computer to another. If you have already logged in to your server with the read-only user then you cannot also login to it with the read-write user.

Thank's for help.

What that means is that unassigned devices does not think you have any valid users set.  Check the settings in the Unassigned Devices Settings.  I did a little testing and can't reproduce the problem.  If it continues for you, give me more information on your user settings.

Edit: I've added a log error message for this so this situation will be seen easily.

Thank's for help.

What that means is that unassigned devices does not think you have any valid users set.  Check the settings in the Unassigned Devices Settings.  I did a little testing and can't reproduce the problem.  If it continues for you, give me more information on your user settings.

Edit: I've added a log error message for this so this situation will be seen easily.

Here a screenshot of my user settings in Unassigned. I use "fred" acces

After many testing it's very strange:

- if i set Read/write for the last user (ftpjee) i lost all acces to the share

- if i disable SMB security i have Read/Write access

- if i return to my user settings i have again read only acces

I removed the plugin and installed it again but there is no change...

unraid-unassigned.devices-20160125-0207.zip

screenshot_35.jpg.b61049203e7ecfb96bd2657fe9c34f37.jpg

Thank's for help.

Here a screenshot of my user settings in Unassigned. I use "fred" acces

After many testing it's very strange:

- if i set Read/write for the last user (ftpjee) i lost all acces to the share

- if i disable SMB security i have Read/Write access

- if i return to my user settings i have again read only acces

I removed the plugin and installed it again but there is no change...

Take a look at the /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file at the section marked '[Config]'.

It should look something like this:

[Config]
smb_security = "yes"
smb_admin = "read-write"
smb_home = "read-only"
smb_guest = "no-access"
nfs_export = "yes"
common_cmd = ""
destructive_mode = "enabled"

Make sure there aren't duplicate entries and only one '[Config]' section.

Let me know if you see anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Post the '[Config'] section with the users set to where it fails and I can test on that.

Take a look at the /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file at the section marked '[Config]'.

[Config]
smb_security = "yes"
smb_admin = "read-write"
smb_home = "read-only"
smb_guest = "no-access"
nfs_export = "yes"
common_cmd = ""

Post the '[Config'] section with the users set to where it fails and I can test on that.

Only one [Config] section but nothing after the last smb user.

[Config]
smb_security = "yes"
smb_admin = "no-access"
smb_fred = "read-write"
smb_delphine = "read-only"
smb_yohan = "no-access"
smb_dune = "no-access"
smb_marine = "no-access"
smb_backup = "no-access"
smb_hp8600 = "no-access"
smb_ftpuser = "no-access"
smb_ftpjee = "no-access"

[Config]
smb_security = "yes"
smb_admin = "read-write"
smb_home = "read-only"
smb_guest = "no-access"
nfs_export = "yes"
common_cmd = ""

Only one [Config] section but nothing after the last smb user.

[Config]
smb_security = "yes"
smb_admin = "no-access"
smb_fred = "read-write"
smb_delphine = "read-only"
smb_yohan = "no-access"
smb_dune = "no-access"
smb_marine = "no-access"
smb_backup = "no-access"
smb_hp8600 = "no-access"
smb_ftpuser = "no-access"
smb_ftpjee = "no-access"

Go to a command line session and enter the command.

cat /boot/config/passwd 2>/dev/null|grep :100:|cut -d: -f1|grep -v nobody

You should see a list of your defined users.  Post the output of that for me.

The old plugin worded for me until I upgraded to 6.1.7, then my 2 SSDs used for VMs show as historical with missing status. Reverting unraid to 6.1.6 fixed the problem.

I have uninstalled the old plugin, rebooted and installed the new one and I still have the same problem after the upgrade to 6.1.7, both SSDs show as historical with status as missing. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can post to help troubleshooting?

The old plugin worded for me until I upgraded to 6.1.7, then my 2 SSDs used for VMs show as historical with missing status. Reverting unraid to 6.1.6 fixed the problem.

I have uninstalled the old plugin, rebooted and installed the new one and I still have the same problem after the upgrade to 6.1.7, both SSDs show as historical with status as missing. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can post to help troubleshooting?

It's probably a device serial number (identification) issue.  Remove the historical device and let it be found again.

It's probably a device serial number (identification) issue.  Remove the historical device and let it be found again.

I have removed them, should a reboot be required to have them found? I am not seeing them after rescanning disks.

I have removed them, should a reboot be required to have them found? I am not seeing them after rescanning disks.

That should work.  It looks to me like unraid is not recognizing the disk.  Try a couple things.

1) Remove the unassigned devices plugin and see if the drive in question shows up in the default unassigned devices tab.

2) On the command line 'ls /dev/disk/by-id/' and see if the drive in question is showing up.

If it does not show up in either case, unraid does not recognize it.

Here the output:

games
ftpjee

ftpjee is a user, games not. All other user are not listed.  :(

Here the output:

games
ftpjee

ftpjee is a user, games not. All other user are not listed.  :(

That's the problem.  Can you pm and send me the /flash/config/passwd file?

Thank you for the passwd file.  I can now understand why the user lookup in unassigned devices failed to get the users.  It looks like you updated back in the V5 days when LT said that the passwd file had to be re-done. Better security I think.  Needless to say, unassigned devices failed on that file format.

I have implemented a different user lookup based on a built in user.ini file that will be more reliable to parse.  I'll release a new version that will fix the user lookup.

Ok, I will try your release tomorrow.

Merci beaucoup. 8)

I found the release that said to re-enter users and passwords: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29096.msg260091#msg260091

This was one of the V5 releases.

4. If present, delete these files from the flash (sorry, you will need to re-enter all your users after upgrade):

- 'config/passwd'

- 'config/shadow'

- 'config/smbpasswd'

Fred, it sounds like you still have the v4 user and password files (passwd, smbpasswd, and shadow), which were supposed to be deleted and re-entered in ALL v4 to v5 upgrades, and of course before upgrading v4 to v6.  That means you may not have upgraded to v6 correctly, and may still have other remnants of older versions, which are going to cause you more trouble.  I recommend reviewing the instructions in the Upgrade or Clean Install section, and checking your boot drive files against Files on flash drive.  There were only a few v4 config files that were safe to keep.

Thanks to dlandon for further developing this essential plugin. I strongly feel that this plugin should be part of the core unraid os. I find copying from and to other non-array drives over the network an indispensible function a file server should provide. If others feel the same please chip in so this get's some traction.

Ok, I will try your release tomorrow.

Merci beaucoup. 8)

I found the release that said to re-enter users and passwords: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29096.msg260091#msg260091

This was one of the V5 releases.

4. If present, delete these files from the flash (sorry, you will need to re-enter all your users after upgrade):

- 'config/passwd'

- 'config/shadow'

- 'config/smbpasswd'

Ok, i didn't see this step when i went from 4.7 to 5rc11 in 2013! Not easy to follow all the instructions for a french guy.

Thanks to your warning, I will soon make a clean install and probably get a new drive and convert my drives to XFS. Just have to find the time...

But at this time, your last release works fine with my "old" config files.

Good job dlandon.;)

Fred, it sounds like you still have the v4 user and password files (passwd, smbpasswd, and shadow), which were supposed to be deleted and re-entered in ALL v4 to v5 upgrades, and of course before upgrading v4 to v6.  That means you may not have upgraded to v6 correctly, and may still have other remnants of older versions, which are going to cause you more trouble.  I recommend reviewing the instructions in the Upgrade or Clean Install section, and checking your boot drive files against Files on flash drive.  There were only a few v4 config files that were safe to keep.

Thank you Robj for your warning, I will follow your advice.

I now use Unraid for 4 year with no problems and with the help of the Unraid community this will continue. 8)

• trurl pinned this topic