Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Release 2016.02.03 is now available.

I have added a script execution window so you can run your script and see the output in a window.  When a drive is mounted, click on the Identification (serial number) and you'll see a lightning bolt.  Click on the lightning bolt and a window will open and your script will run just as if the drive was plugged in and mounted.  The script runs in the foreground regardless of how the run in background switch is set.

You can add any standard bash commands as necessary to troubleshoot.

This is a valuable tool to test your script and see if if is running properly.

There is one down side to this implementation.  You won't be able to file check any disk formatted with btrsf.  The icon next to the partition information can only be file check or run script.  The btrfs file system can only be checked when mounted, so I cannot have that icon be a file check and a script execution at the same time on btrfs.  I chose to implement the script execution at the expense of the btrfs file check when mounted.

Thanks again for this.  I have had a thought, not sure how practical it is, or even if the risks outweigh the benefits but would it be possible to mount .img or .raw files in this plugin?

My use case is I run an Unraid Virtual Machine for testing and compiling the mediabuild versions.  To update the bz files on the VM I manually mount and copy the relevant files across.

Being able to do so in Unassigned Devices would be very useful and I wonder whether it would be useful to others for pulling files off their Virtual Machine disks?

Obviously I know you have picked up this project and this would require some work, so I'd understand completely without any need for further explanation, if you did not want to look at this at all.

Thanks again for this.  I have had a thought, not sure how practical it is, or even if the risks outweigh the benefits but would it be possible to mount .img or .raw files in this plugin?

My use case is I run an Unraid Virtual Machine for testing and compiling the mediabuild versions.  To update the bz files on the VM I manually mount and copy the relevant files across.

Being able to do so in Unassigned Devices would be very useful and I wonder whether it would be useful to others for pulling files off their Virtual Machine disks?

Obviously I know you have picked up this project and this would require some work, so I'd understand completely without any need for further explanation, if you did not want to look at this at all.

Let me ponder this.

My business has picked up because of the nicer weather here in southern Ohio.  I won't have as much time now to spend on UD.

Let me ponder this.

My business has picked up because of the nicer weather here in southern Ohio.  I won't have as much time now to spend on UD.

Like I said, no problem, I'm quite happy to mount it manually. No biggie, just wondered if it had scope for further use for others.

I'm a newbie to unRAID and in the process of evaluating it.

I installed this plugin (dlandon version) to do some direct copy to the array, but was surprised to see 'gfjardim's version installed as well. Uninstalling either one of them uninstalls the other. This happens when installing through both CA and using plugin URL.

On plugin tab, only dlandon's version is listed.

Is this normal? I searched around but couldn't find anything relating to the issue(if indeed an issue) I'm seeing.

I installed this plugin (dlandon version) to do some direct copy to the array, but was surprised to see 'gfjardim's version installed as well. Uninstalling either one of them uninstalls the other. This happens when installing through both CA and using plugin URL.

Is this normal? I searched around but couldn't find anything relating to the issue(if indeed an issue) I'm seeing.

Until this version is taken out of beta status, CA has trouble distinguishing between the two on it's installed section due the identical names (unfortunately not at the top of my list to fix this)

Once this is out of beta, gfjardim version will disappear from CA completely and that problem will disappear

Until this version is taken out of beta status, CA has trouble distinguishing between the two on it's installed section due the identical names (unfortunately not at the top of my list to fix this)

Once this is out of beta, gfjardim version will disappear from CA completely and that problem will disappear

I'll take it out of beta later today.  This situation is quite messy and confusing. I haven't seen any show stoppers come across..

It's out of beta, so I reinstalled. Still see two versions in my 'Installed Apps' list. Any cache clearing to be done?

Edit: By the way, I updated CA before reinstalling.

I don't live next to the computer    ;)

gfjardim is now blacklisted and will not appear within CA.  Had to do a minor update to CA to get rid of it still showing gfjardim within the installed / previous.

If gfjardim is installed, then uninstalled, if you go to previous apps and reinstall unassigned devices from there, it will pull dlandon's version

It's out of beta, so I reinstalled. Still see two versions in my 'Installed Apps' list. Any cache clearing to be done?

gfjardim is now blacklisted and will not appear within CA.  Had to do a minor update to CA to get rid of it still showing gfjardim within the installed / previous.

If gfjardim is installed, then uninstalled, if you go to previous apps and reinstall unassigned devices from there, it will pull dlandon's version

Didn't realize CA could manage user instances (Didn't know we could have instances either)

(Yeah I know out of context...)

Didn't realize CA could manage user instances (Didn't know we could have instances either)

Don't mess with Squid, he isn't afraid to type /ban from the command console!  ;D

blacklists (and moderator comments [basically my own comments]) within CA have existed for a while now.  Takes me off the hook.  In this case, since both plugins are named identically, CA is smart enough to force the user if they uninstall gfjardim's version and then try to reinstall it via the previous apps section to instead pull dlandon's. 

As an aside, all blacklists / moderator comments are free for anyone to look at and/or contribute to.  https://github.com/Squidly271/Community-Applications-Moderators

This time it worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled. This time there is only dlandon's version.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Squid,

It is now out of beta.  Do your magic.

As you took the 19.09 version of gfjardim as a basis for further development, I wonder which features of the newer gfjardim versions are no longer available in your newest version?

gfjardim's change log:

- Fix: better logging

- Add: force unmount after 5 attempts

2015.09.28b

- debug: debug version

- Fix: minor fixes

2015.09.22b

- Add: NFS share mount

The NFS share mount was added to this version.  I don't know why, but he was in the process of rearranging the code.  As I looked through his latest version, I saw a lot of things that were broken.  I extracted what I could use from that version.  I chose not to use his 2015.11.18 version because I didn't want to troubleshoot half-written code and too much was not working.

If anyone that was successful in using his latest version sees any feature I missed, let me know.

So I'm using this to manually migrate all my disks from my old crashed server to my new one.  I mount the drive one at a time, then go into Midnight Commander and copy them all over to a new drive.  Problem is permissions on them when they are copied over seems to be screwy.  Is there a better way to do this?  And is there are easy way to fix the perms on everything I copied over?

So I'm using this to manually migrate all my disks from my old crashed server to my new one.  I mount the drive one at a time, then go into Midnight Commander and copy them all over to a new drive.  Problem is permissions on them when they are copied over seems to be screwy.  Is there a better way to do this?  And is there are easy way to fix the perms on everything I copied over?

You are not providing enough information for anyone to help you.  What does permissions "seems to be screwy" mean?  What version of unraid are you coming from and what are the permissions on the old drives vs the new drives?

The old drives were 4.5, new drives are latest 6.1 release.  When I try to delete or rename files that were copies over from my Windows machine with a UNC mapping I get permission denied and that they are owned by either "root" or "nobody".  If I try and manipulate files that I copied over from say a Windows machine I have no problems.  This probably isn't specific to the plugin and I can move the question over to 6.1 support if you would rather.

The old drives were 4.5, new drives are latest 6.1 release.  When I try to delete or rename files that were copies over from my Windows machine with a UNC mapping I get permission denied and that they are owned by either "root" or "nobody".  If I try and manipulate files that I copied over from say a Windows machine I have no problems.  This probably isn't specific to the plugin and I can move the question over to 6.1 support if you would rather.

I don't think this is a plugin issue.  I'd get them all on your new server and run the new permissions utility in tools ==> unraid os ==> new permissions

I think I am doing something wrong.... I have installed the unassigned devices plugin on my unRAID 6.1.7.

I have been able to mount an SSD drive that I plan to use for a VM. However, after I have mounted the drive I copy files to it, but once I reboot or unmount and remount, the files that I had copied are gone. The drive is formatted as XFS.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

I think I am doing something wrong.... I have installed the unassigned devices plugin on my unRAID 6.1.7.

I have been able to mount an SSD drive that I plan to use for a VM. However, after I have mounted the drive I copy files to it, but once I reboot or unmount and remount, the files that I had copied are gone. The drive is formatted as XFS.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

How are you copying the files?
  • trurl pinned this topic