Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

It works great now.

If I could make a suggestion, I think it would be nice to have a toggle for destructive mode next to the toggle labeled "Complete" on the main page.  Then add a second button for each drive that is always there labeled "Format" and have it greyed out if the destructive mode toggle is off.  If destructive mode is on, and you click the format button, have UD delete the existing partition. 

One more thought:  Put a link to this support thread next to the words "Unassigned Devices" in the title bar of this plugin on the main page.

Now that I understand how the UI works, I don't need these changes. But, I think they would make UD more intuitive so you would not have to provide as much support to the next guy who gets stuck.

You did a great job on this.  If you PM me an email address I can use to paypal you, I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee.

If I could make a suggestion, I think it would be nice to have a toggle for destructive mode next to the toggle labeled "Complete" on the main page.  Then add a second button for each drive that is always there labeled "Format" and have it greyed out if the destructive mode toggle is off.  If destructive mode is on, and you click the format button, have UD delete the existing partition.

Now that I understand how the UI works, I don't need these changes. But, I think they would make UD more intuitive so you would not have to provide as much support to the next guy who gets stuck.

Adding to his comment, the toggle for destructive mode does not seem consistent with the rest of unRAID.  Would you consider changing it to be more consistent, perhaps require checking a check box with the text something like "Yes I want to do this", prior to making the Format button active.

Got everything running and mounted a share at /mnt/disks/usenet/.

NZBGet is already running and working on my system and previously downloading and moving stuff to /mnt/user/usenet (an array share).  I changed the config to have it move to /mnt/disks/usenet (new share on an unassigned device).

NZBGet gets the file, and says it's successful, but the download seems to literally have disappeared. Cannot find it anywhere on my system.  Did a full "find -name "foo*"" on my system (where "foo" was the first 3 letters of the usenet download) and it's nowhere to be found. The only entries returned are from the nzbget download history folder where it shows a "fooXYZ.nzb.queued" file..

Any ideas why in the world something would just disappear?

NZBGet is already running and working on my system and previously downloading and moving stuff to /mnt/user/usenet (an array share).  I changed the config to have it move to /mnt/disks/usenet (new share on an unassigned device).

NZBGet gets the file, and says it's successful, but the download seems to literally have disappeared. Cannot find it anywhere on my system.  Did a full "find -name "foo*"" on my system (where "foo" was the first 3 letters of the usenet download) and it's nowhere to be found. The only entries returned are from the nzbget download history folder where it shows a "fooXYZ.nzb.queued" file..

After setting up a UD mount, Docker needs to be restarted for the mount to be seen by the Docker.

After setting up a UD mount, Docker needs to be restarted for the mount to be seen by the Docker.

Yep did that too because I had to add a new mount point mapping for the new location.

Adding to his comment, the toggle for destructive mode does not seem consistent with the rest of unRAID.  Would you consider changing it to be more consistent, perhaps require checking a check box with the text something like "Yes I want to do this", prior to making the Format button active.

While I appreciate everyone's suggestions, there are some issues with the amount of real estate available on the UD webpage and adding more things to the webpage will make it even busier and more crowded than it is now.  On iPads the display scrunches down the on/off buttons.  gfjardim did the original UD layout and I think he did a pretty good job.  I really don't want to redesign the webpage for very little gain.

The goal of the original UD was to be able to mount a thumb drive, or USB drive and share the drive so files could be taken off the drive and put onto the unraid array.  The natural progression was to add a script that would run when the drive was installed.  UD has now morphed into a drive management tool - preclear, format, mount drives for VMs and Dockers, share remote mounts, and mount iso files.

I don't like the idea of destructive mode being too easy and users losing data too easily.  That's why gfjardim put the destructive mode in the settings page.  If it were on the UD webpage, I can guarantee that someone would do the wrong thing and lose data.  The destructive mode was not intended to be an everyday thing.  As I said UD has morphed into something it was not originally intended to do.  Although I don't have much trouble with where it is now.

I contribute my time to some plugins that I deem pretty important to myself and the unraid community.  I enjoy doing this because I no longer am employed in the software industry and want to keep up my skills.  UD has become quite a task lately and I will do what I can to fix anything that comes up, but I don't have the time (or interest) right now to add new features to UD.  I know some of you feel that LT is too slow in implementing features to unraid and try to get plugin developers to add features to get things done faster.  I was recently asked about adding VM disk mounting.  While I like this idea a lot, it is something that LT should implement.  Some time ago I was asked to add the ability for UD to create a btrfs array.  I understand the request, but this is something LT needs to do.

In all my years of working on software, I have seen the 'feature creep' make a very usable software package something that doesn't do anything well.  The original Norton Utilities were awesome back in the DOS days.  Norton software has grown into what I consider an usable beast.  Whenever I get a new consumer computer, I uninstall it immediately.  I don't want to see UD get to that point.

I guess the point of my rant is that I do what I can on the limited time I have, but I get zero compensation for my time and I need to feed the family.  Don't be offended when I turn down requests for new features.  Some make sense for UD like mounting iso files, some don't like mounting VMs.  Some I just don't the have time for.

Stepping down from soap box

Back to reality.  For the moment I will only work on problems/bugs that come up.  I appreciate the feedback on issues users are having with UD, but I need more information about the issue.  Please report which version of unraid you are using, and as much information as you can provide on how the problem came up.  The latest issue with formatting disks was quite a drain on time until gfjardim and I determined that both of us were testing on unraid 6.2, and users were having issues with 6.1.9.

Found a problem not sure if it is fixable or not.

When I try to map a SMB share that has a dollar sign in it "Drives$" for instance or the Windows created "ADMIN$" I get the following showing up in the GUI.  NOTE the error is over printing the headers:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 751

Device Source Mount point Remove Size Used

I am using unRAID 6.1.9 and 2016.04.16a of unassigned devices.

Attached is the diagnostics if you want to look at them.  Last operation I did was to add "Drives$" as a share.

unraidserver-diagnostics-20160417-0845.zip

When I try to map a SMB share that has a dollar sign in it "Drives$" for instance or the Windows created "ADMIN$" I get the following showing up in the GUI.  NOTE the error is over printing the headers:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 751

Device Source Mount point Remove Size Used

Attached is the diagnostics if you want to look at them.  Last operation I did was to add "Drives$" as a share.

So the share with the $ was created on a Windows computer?  I know why that is happening and I'll see if I can reproduce.

EDIT: Windows doesn't let me share a folder with a $ in the name.  How did you set up a smb share with a $ in the name?

Device  Source  Mount point      Remove  Size  Used

So the share with the $ was created on a Windows computer?  I know why that is happening and I'll see if I can reproduce.

EDIT: Windows doesn't let me share a folder with a $ in the name.  How did you set up a smb share with a $ in the name?

It is easy to share in Windows 7 just go to advanced sharing and when the default name for the share comes up or if you type in your own name then add the $ to the end and hit apply.  That is how you create shares that are hidden from windows machines as far as browsing the network anyway.  The dollar sign has to be at the END of the share name only I don't think you are allowed to create a share with a $ anywhere else but the end of the share name.  I just shared Input folder on my laptop D drive.  I added the dollar sign to the end of the share name and hit apply.  This is the PC I am typing this post from.  I can't browse the share but I can bring up the share in a Windows Explorer window if I type the share name.

Shares with a $ in the name cannot be mounted.  I am adding code to block trying to mount a share with a $ in the name.  A log entry will say that it can't be mounted.  You will have to rename your shares without the $ character.

Those are built in shares for WinOS, such as C$ or D$, so one can not rename those. They can however create their own shares with the proper share names.

Shares with a $ in the name cannot be mounted.  I am adding code to block trying to mount a share with a $ in the name.  A log entry will say that it can't be mounted.  You will have to rename your shares without the $ character.

Those are built in shares for WinOS, such as C$ or D$, so one can not rename those. They can however create their own shares with the proper share names.

I understand, but the point is the user will have to find another way.  Why would someone want to mount a Windows drive (C$) using UD in the first place?

The problem as best I can tell is that a share with a '$' in the name cannot be mounted with cifs, so there really doesn't seem to be much I can do except to prevent it with UD.

Actually that is not true.  Attached is a graphic of a mount on unRAID to the C$ share that Windows automatically creates.  But I can certainly create a windows share without the $ in the name.

DriveC_mounted_in_unRAID.png.308db40d80edcc8f5cdf789912dfd9d6.png

Actually that is not true.  Attached is a graphic of a mount on unRAID to the C$ share that Windows automatically creates.  But I can certainly create a windows share without the $ in the name.

As I said, doesn't work for me.  Username and password triple checked.

mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,username=***,password=********* '//HANDYMAN/C$' '/mnt/disks/DiskC'
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs( manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I don't know how it works for you.  I can mount shares without $ in the names.

Bottom line is that with this situation and the fact that the $ character is a reserved character in php, it is not worth the effort to pursue it further since you have an alternative.

mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,username=***,password=********* '//HANDYMAN/C$' '/mnt/disks/DiskC'

Bottom line is that with this situation and the fact that the $ character is a reserved character in php, it is not worth the effort to pursue it further since you have an alternative.

It might have worked for me because I left off the "rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777" from my mount command.  I will see if I get the same error as you got when I put it in and then see what is actually causing it.  NOTE I am only curious here.  I will just not put the $ in the shares on Windows when I use it.  Just wanted to let you know about it and putting in a check and not allowing a $ should be sufficient for me and anybody else that tries it.  I will let you know if I determine why I can mount and you cannot as in which mount parameter is causing the problem.

It might have worked for me because I left off the "rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777" from my mount command.  I will see if I get the same error as you got when I put it in and then see what is actually causing it.  NOTE I am only curious here.  I will just not put the $ in the shares on Windows when I use it.  Just wanted to let you know about it and putting in a check and not allowing a $ should be sufficient for me and anybody else that tries it.  I will let you know if I determine why I can mount and you cannot as in which mount parameter is causing the problem.

Found it I think.  For me I get an error if I use iocharset=utf8 in the mount command but when I removed that the mount succeeded. 

Edit:Of course the error I was getting was different then yours:

mount error(79): Can not access a needed shared library.

So I wonder do you have UAC turned on or off on your windows box?  Mine is turned off.

Edit2:well I found out I was WRONG I made a typo when I tried it with the iocharset.  I can mount mine with your command specifically I used this:

mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,username=sagetv,password=SageTV //HDServer/C$ /mnt/disks/DriveC

So I wonder if it is UAC related on the Windows box will try turning it on and see if that makes a difference.  The user SageTV I used is an administrator on the box too so I will try a regular user next as well as the UAC turned on.

Edit3: Yep when I turned on UAC I get the same as you a "13 permission denied."  So mystery solved.  Normal windows setup with UAC active prevents connecting to $ shares on a Windows box.  Doubt I will find a way to actually connect to one either.  Anyway had to find out what was causing the difference.

Howdy all...

I'm hoping this is a common issue, or me being stupid somehow, but here goes:

My setup is basically that I have 1 "unassigned device" SSD, and on that disk, I install my various plugins (sabnzbd et al.)

But I'm having this issue where every single time I restart the server/array, the plugins all run their annoying "wizards" as they are failing to read the config folder held on my SSD. I can see in my logs that the SSD (sdd1) is not mounting until after the plugins have tried to install.

So basically, how do I force UD to mount this disk before the plugins try and run?

Thanks!

And thanks for keeping this plugin alive dlandon!

p.s. both UnRAID and UD are completely up-to-date.

Howdy all...

My setup is basically that I have 1 "unassigned device" SSD, and on that disk, I install my various plugins (sabnzbd et al.)

But I'm having this issue where every single time I restart the server/array, the plugins all run their annoying "wizards" as they are failing to read the config folder held on my SSD. I can see in my logs that the SSD (sdd1) is not mounting until after the plugins have tried to install.

So basically, how do I force UD to mount this disk before the plugins try and run?

Thanks!

By plugin's, do you mean Plugins or Docker Applications?

If docker Applications, then you have to stop and start the entire docker service in order for any apps to see any mountings that UD performs (6.1.x)  If you're under 6.2, then you can modify your volume mountings to use the new "slave" option which should fix this up for you.

Howdy all...

Thanks!

By plugin's, do you mean Plugins or Docker Applications?

If docker Applications, then you have to stop and start the entire docker service in order for any apps to see any mountings that UD performs (6.1.x)  If you're under 6.2, then you can modify your volume mountings to use the new "slave" option which should fix this up for you.

Just plugins I'm afraid. I've never ventured into the world of Docker.

You might be able to use a string replace of $ with %24.  Also I glad to see you move the packages to your repo. I would suggest not using any from slackware current (14.2) for 6.1.9 which is slackware 14.1. While some make work they were compiled for 14.2. Many packages compiled for slackware current just won't work on 14.1. I had to create separate repos for NerdPack.

You might be able to use a string replace of $ with %24.  Also I glad to see you move the packages to your repo. I would suggest not using any from slackware current (14.2) for 6.1.9 which is slackware 14.1. While some make work they were compiled for 14.2. Many packages compiled for slackware current just won't work on 14.1. I had to create separate repos for NerdPack.

If a user was to enter 'Drive%24' as a share name rather than 'Drive$', it would probably work.

I just got bit by the package problem with parted 3.2.  It was apparently compiled for Slackware 14.2 and when I tried it on unraid 6.1.9 (Slackware 14.1), it did not work because of some library dependencies and I'm sure other things that were broken.

Moving the required packages to my own repository will keep things from breaking again if the 'current' packages change and I can be assured that I have the correct packages.  Very messy!

On the front post, I noticed this:

Try to use a file format other than ntfs when writing to disks.  Ntfs write speed on Linux is not that good and I have had some serious problems (corruption) when writing to a ntfs disk that is full.  I use xfs on my backup USB drives.

It only refers to Linux. Will I run into problems if I use NTFS with Windows VM?

• trurl pinned this topic