Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

...When creating my array for the very first time, I picked from the dropdown list both of them. Next I noticed I have to format them in order to use them in array, so it was a no-go...

Starting the array with any disk assigned as data with a non unRAID supported filesystem will destroy the existing partition, it shouldn't be very difficult to recover but you'll need to use data recovery software.

The SMB share permissions are set on a global basis, not by UD device.  I can do the same thing for NFS shares.  UD was not designed to allow per device share permissions.

Add: Ability to make NFS shares private.

Awesome, thanks Dan.  That'll be a huge help.  Now, if you ever feel the desire to give UD the option to have per-device SMB and NFS share permissions, you can have my first born.  Well, no... no you can't, it's a bit late for that.  But you'll have my undying gratitude  ;) 

Big overhaul to the code there though, so do understand if you don't have the time or inclination. 

Thanks once again,

overbyrn

Hi all,

After updating my UD plugin to the latest version (2016.12.04), I've noticed that when restarting my server, my drives are not automatically shared. They are mounted, but not shared via SMB. If I uncheck the "share" button the main screen and then recheck it, they appear in the SMB share. I'm not sure if this is a bug introduced in the new update or a user error. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi all,

After updating my UD plugin to the latest version (2016.12.04), I've noticed that when restarting my server, my drives are not automatically shared. They are mounted, but not shared via SMB. If I uncheck the "share" button the main screen and then recheck it, they appear in the SMB share. I'm not sure if this is a bug introduced in the new update or a user error. Anyone have any thoughts?

What version of unRAID?

Post a UD log.

UnRAID is 6.2.4. Attached is my UD log. Thanks!

I just ran a test and it worked.  It looks like your device was unmounted and failed because of open files on the device.  Other than that, I don't see any problem and the device should have been shared.

If you boot up again and see the device is not shared, get a UD log and post it before you do anything else.  Also post the /flash/config/smb-extra.conf file.

awasome plugin but im having a issue

im trying to access 2 USB drives that are mounted and shared via windows but it keeps asking for username (no users are setup on unraid atm) and i cant find anything to eather disable this or let me access them outside (i can access them using shell for MC) but nothing in windows

awasome plugin but im having a issue

im trying to access 2 USB drives that are mounted and shared via windows but it keeps asking for username (no users are setup on unraid atm) and i cant find anything to eather disable this or let me access them outside (i can access them using shell for MC) but nothing in windows

Check that you have the share permissions set up in Settings->Unassigned Devices.

Hi

I am using an NTFS formatted nvme drive in unassigned devices so that I can passthrough the partition in a windows 10 VM.

I do this by using /dev/disk/by-id method. This works well but the UNRAID console keeps outputting a blockdev error....

blockdev: cannot open /dev/nvme1n1p: No such file or directory. This error appears when I rescan or refresh the unassigned devices list in the main webUI. The nvme1n1p device does not exist in /dev/ so I am not sure how to exclude it or where it has manifested from.

Any ideas?

Uh Oh, what have I done wrong here???  :-X

I thought I would use this plugin to be able to move items off an array disk to a new disk formatted as XFS, mounted with this plugin.  That all went fine and the data was copied across.

My plan was then to remove the old array disk and put in the new disk which was already formatted as XFS with my data on it and then do a new config and rebuild parity.

HOWEVER, the new disk is showing as not formatted.

Even when I try re-mounting it now with unassigned devices the mount button is greyed out and just the format button is available!

Where have I gone wrong here?  Can I save the data on the disk that I used in unassigned devices??

I thought I would use this plugin to be able to move items off an array disk to a new disk formatted as XFS, mounted with this plugin.  That all went fine and the data was copied across.

My plan was then to remove the old array disk and put in the new disk which was already formatted as XFS with my data on it and then do a new config and rebuild parity.

Even when I try re-mounting it now with unassigned devices the mount button is greyed out and just the format button is available!

Where have I gone wrong here?  Can I save the data on the disk that I used in unassigned devices??

You can't format a disk with the plugin and then use it on the array, it will appear as unmountable.

You can't format a disk with the plugin and then use it on the array, it will appear as unmountable.

You can, however, assign the target drive as a single slot cache device, select XFS as the file system, and format it that way. It can then be moved to another system, and / or mounted using UD. Or just copy the files across while it's in the cache slot.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? Your post is not fully fleshed out as to why you couldn't just rebuild the new drive in the old drive's slot, which would populate the old drive's data on the new drive.

You can, however, assign the target drive as a single slot cache device, select XFS as the file system, and format it that way. It can then be moved to another system, and / or mounted using UD. Or just copy the files across while it's in the cache slot.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? Your post is not fully fleshed out as to why you couldn't just rebuild the new drive in the old drive's slot, which would populate the old drive's data on the new drive.

I was basically upgrading from a 1g to a 2g drive and trying to change filesystem from reiser to XFS at the same time.  Guess I was trying to be too clever.

So is there now no way to read the data on the disk formatted as XFS through the UD plugin?

I was basically upgrading from a 1g to a 2g drive and trying to change filesystem from reiser to XFS at the same time.  Guess I was trying to be too clever.

So is there now no way to read the data on the disk formatted as XFS through the UD plugin?

Yep, no way to change file systems and rebuild to a new drive at the same time, you have to copy the data. At this point, it's probably going to be quicker to go ahead and add the new 2TB to the array, format it as XFS, and copy the data back over again from the 1TB Reiser disk. If you recreate the partition the way UD set it up, the original data will probably show up intact, but you still will have to repartition and format it to add it to the array. I can't think of a way to get around that and still add the drive to the parity protected array.

Yep, no way to change file systems and rebuild to a new drive at the same time, you have to copy the data. At this point, it's probably going to be quicker to go ahead and add the new 2TB to the array, format it as XFS, and copy the data back over again from the 1TB Reiser disk. If you recreate the partition the way UD set it up, the original data will probably show up intact, but you still will have to repartition and format it to add it to the array. I can't think of a way to get around that and still add the drive to the parity protected array.

OK thanks for your help.

Hi, is it possible to disable SMART test notifications for drives mounted with the "unassigned devices" plugin ?

Unraid has some difficulties seeing correct smart information with some Intel SSDs, which results in incorrect SMART data and lots of notifications starting from that (humongous amount of "#187 - Uncorrectable error count" for example).

In Unraid hdd settings, certain SMART error notifications can be disabled, but the plugin device settings do now allow for this. If it's not possible now, would it be hard to implement such a setting ?

thank you very much in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a error message :

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 911

I have opened the lib.php file :

capture file attached

Do you know where it comes from?

thanks

Capture.JPG.c1c14c5a24a5670bddd2434bc9781804.JPG

Hello,

I have a error message :

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 911

I have opened the lib.php file :

capture file attached

Do you know where it comes from?

thanks

Post your /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/iso_mounts.cfg file.

Hi, is it possible to disable SMART test notifications for drives mounted with the "unassigned devices" plugin ?

Unraid has some difficulties seeing correct smart information with some Intel SSDs, which results in incorrect SMART data and lots of notifications starting from that (humongous amount of "#187 - Uncorrectable error count" for example).

In Unraid hdd settings, certain SMART error notifications can be disabled, but the plugin device settings do now allow for this. If it's not possible now, would it be hard to implement such a setting ?

The SMART notification is built into unRAID and is not controlled by the UD plugin.  You would have the same issue with the drive installed as an unassigned device without the UD plugin.  Post the issue on the Dynamix post and see if bonienl has an answer for your issue.

The SMART notification is built into unRAID and is not controlled by the UD plugin.  You would have the same issue with the drive installed as an unassigned device without the UD plugin.  Post the issue on the Dynamix post and see if bonienl has an answer for your issue.

In Settings - Disk Settings you can choose which SMART attributes to get notifications for. But you can also override this global setting for individual disks in the array. I think this override for UD disks is what's being asked for.

In Settings - Disk Settings you can choose which SMART attributes to get notifications for. But you can also override this global setting for individual disks in the array. I think this override for UD disks is what's being asked for.

Exactly... I can override smart notifications only for disks in an Unraid array, but not for disks managed by the UD plugin.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a drive that just finished the preclear script successfully and I want to mount it to my unassigned devices.  The problem is that I do not see that option.  Under FS (file system) it says precleared and the format button is greyed out.  I can only add it to the array if stopped or run another preclear on it.

How do I format it to xfs so that I can mount it to my unassigned devices? Thanks.

Edit: I found the answer.  You must turn on destructive mode from the settings page under Unassigned Devices.

I've been going through my mountain of retired hard drives and using the plugin to see what's on them, get what I need, if any, then zeroing them out.

I found a NTFS partitioned drive with the label "Server (IDE)". The label reported by the UNRAID OS is "Server\\x20\\x28IDE\\x29". After mounting & sharing with this plugin, the shared path is "Server_\134x28IDE\134x29" which is an invalid Windows network path due to the backslashes.

• trurl pinned this topic