Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

12 hours ago, ksarnelli said:

Would it be possible to add a description/note column to each unassigned device?  I have some disks that I pass through to VMs and it would be nice to be able to see which is which easily.  Thanks!

The best way to identify the disk is by changing the mount point to something meaningful to your situation.

Just curious if i have this done right. I have an SSD mounted with UD to specifically be used with plex as a transcoder drive. I then have a container path in plex pointing to the mounted drive. theoretically is this all i need to do to make the drive available in my docker? Just having a bit of trouble getting it to work how i want it. I'll go to the plex docker support if i at least have this much done right.  

1 hour ago, tazire said:

Just curious if i have this done right. I have an SSD mounted with UD to specifically be used with plex as a transcoder drive. I then have a container path in plex pointing to the mounted drive. theoretically is this all i need to do to make the drive available in my docker? Just having a bit of trouble getting it to work how i want it. I'll go to the plex docker support if i at least have this much done right.  

See this post in the Docker FAQ. Might be useful to see other parts of that FAQ also.

3 minutes ago, tazire said:

Sorry about this now but I wouldnt be 100% savy when it comes to all this. Do i need to passthrough the unassigned device in order to use it with the docker? i was just assuming the mounting did that for me. 

Passthrough is a VM concept. Never need to pass through anything to a Docker.

What you need to do is set up a volume mapping of the UD to the Docker to be able to see it in the Docker.

5 minutes ago, tazire said:

Sorry about this now but I wouldnt be 100% savy when it comes to all this. Do i need to passthrough the unassigned device in order to use it with the docker? i was just assuming the mounting did that for me. 

No. Dockers have access to any folders mapped. They don't need to directly access the device. UD mounts the disk and provides unRAID access to its folders. You need the docker to map to the folders. Be sure to read that FAQ I linked for specific information on mapping UD folders.

ok well i have another parameter in the docker called /transcode and it is pointing to the mounted volume in UD. i assumed that was the correct approach?  

I have a feeling that i have the volume mapped correctly and it may be an issue with my plex docker

Edited by tazire
1 minute ago, trurl said:

That is part of the correct approach. Did you read the FAQ I linked?

Yes i am reading it and trying to find the appropriate posts. again as im not 100% confident with this yet im not sure im reading the right thing. from what im reading in relation to my issue... this appears to be the only thing i havent done

"If you are running unRaid 6.2beta 20+, then you need to adjust your volume mappings mode (usually either RW or Read Only) to be RW:Slave or Read Only:Slave)"

10 minutes ago, tazire said:

Yes i am reading it and trying to find the appropriate posts. again as im not 100% confident with this yet im not sure im reading the right thing. from what im reading in relation to my issue... this appears to be the only thing i havent done

"If you are running unRaid 6.2beta 20+, then you need to adjust your volume mappings mode (usually either RW or Read Only) to be RW:Slave or Read Only:Slave)"

Yes, that's it.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Yes, that's it.

Ok i have everything done as described... funnily enough i found a step by step guide for plex dockers just after this. I am transcoding to my phone to try test if its actually transcoding to the new drive but I cant see any change in the amount of space its using up... I guess this would indicate that its not working??? at this point is this something i should be asking in the plex support rather than here?

Hey guys,

I'm still new to unRAID, so bear with me ;-)

I have a pretty simple setup so far (see my Sig.)

The 1TB drive I use for timemachine is a very quiet 2.5" drive - which is important because my server is basically in my kitchen ;-)

The main 4TB drive is a much more audible 3.5" drive.

I am now looking into getting a second 4TB drive for parity.

Issue:

If I keep the 1TB drive in the array (as it is right now), it would spin up the parity disk for the hourly timemachine backups, which I don't feel needs parity protection anyway.

So I thought I'd remove the 1TB drive from the array and UD it, but then I don't have the easy (and so far reliable) option of enabling the AFP timemachine share.

How do I keep my timemachine on a UD without having to manually mount the timemachine share on my Mac, as every tutorial I've seen so far suggests?

My Mac is a Macbook that I travel with a lot, so mounting the drive on login is not going to work, I need timemachine to do that itself (as it does with the unRaid-integrated AFP settings).

Cheers

Stefan

4 hours ago, Sayuuk said:

Hey guys,

I'm still new to unRAID, so bear with me ;-)

I have a pretty simple setup so far (see my Sig.)

The 1TB drive I use for timemachine is a very quiet 2.5" drive - which is important because my server is basically in my kitchen ;-)

The main 4TB drive is a much more audible 3.5" drive.

I am now looking into getting a second 4TB drive for parity.

Issue:

If I keep the 1TB drive in the array (as it is right now), it would spin up the parity disk for the hourly timemachine backups, which I don't feel needs parity protection anyway.

So I thought I'd remove the 1TB drive from the array and UD it, but then I don't have the easy (and so far reliable) option of enabling the AFP timemachine share.

How do I keep my timemachine on a UD without having to manually mount the timemachine share on my Mac, as every tutorial I've seen so far suggests?

My Mac is a Macbook that I travel with a lot, so mounting the drive on login is not going to work, I need timemachine to do that itself (as it does with the unRaid-integrated AFP settings).

Cheers

Stefan

UD mounted disks cannot be shared with the AFP protocol.  My suggestion would be to change the quiet drive to a cache drive and set up the time machine backup as a cache only share so the parity disk will not spin up.  All your time machine backups will stay on the quieter cache disk.

Edited by dlandon
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

UD mounted disks cannot be shared with the AFP protocol.  My suggestion would be to change the quiet drive to a cache drive and set up the time machine backup as a cache only share so the parity disk will not spin up.  All your time machine backups will stay on the quieter cache disk.

Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought of this before.

This would necessitate retiring the SSD as the cache drive, correct?

Would it make sense to just enable the Cache for the timemachine drive (in the array) instead? This would add it to the parity again, but at least it would only spin up that drive once a day, when the mover kicks in (the parity isn't queried for the reads during a backup cycle, correct??)

Cheers

17 minutes ago, Sayuuk said:

Would it make sense to just enable the Cache for the timemachine drive (in the array) instead? This would add it to the parity again, but at least it would only spin up that drive once a day, when the mover kicks in (the parity isn't queried for the reads during a backup cycle, correct??)

Cheers

The SSD would work fine if it is large enough for your needs and setting the share to cache would move the files to the array each night.  You will have to  keep an eye on the parity during a backup though.  Time machine may do writes on the array files when it does a backup so the parity would spin up again for each backup.  This is why I suggested a cache only share.

Edited by dlandon
40 minutes ago, Sayuuk said:

Cheers

Another option is to mount the disk in UD and share it SMB, then access it with SMB on the Mac.  I'm not a Mac user, so I can't tell you how to do that, but there are some on the forum that will probably know how.

18 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Another option is to mount the disk in UD and share it SMB, then access it with SMB on the Mac.  I'm not a Mac user, so I can't tell you how to do that, but there are some on the forum that will probably know how.

I think that this won’t work with Time Machine. Would work with Carbon Copy Cloner though. IMO CCC is a better backup utility anyway.

• trurl pinned this topic