Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

As much as I'm in the no need to preclear camp, I don't agree with that.

I think it's time for you to change your avatar to the one I've suggested.
It was more to mitigate the effect the preclear plugin is having on UD.

Was a genuine "Could this be an approach to fix the plugin mess in the interim?" question.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, BRiT said:

@CHBMB I think the better suggestion is to have UD push the users to install Fix Common Problems, which would then have a check for PreClear-Plugin with solution step of removing it. That would be better, right @Squid?

FCP already complains if Preclear is installed on 6.4.1 since it is incompatible.

• Upvote 1

I am getting some php errors on the main page:

Warning: Use of undefined constant byte11h - assumed 'byte11h' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 208

Warning: Use of undefined constant byte10h - assumed 'byte10h' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 208

Seems nobody else is seeing them?

If I wrap the byte11h, byte10h in  single quotes they go away but seems odd only I am seeing this.

mjms-diagnostics-20180315-1308.zip

Edited by jjslegacy
10 minutes ago, jjslegacy said:

Warning: Use of undefined constant byte11h - assumed 'byte11h' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 208

Warning: Use of undefined constant byte10h - assumed 'byte10h' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 208

If I wrap the byte11h, byte10h in  single quotes they go away but seems odd only I am seeing this.

I see it and I'll fix it in the next release.

3 hours ago, jjslegacy said:

Do you have the preclear plugin installed?

Hello,

New unRAID user here. I've been having a lot of fun setting my new server up having come from a Synology background. I'm pretty much there, but do have one question about mounting an encrypted unassigned device that I'd appreciate some help with please.

My array consists of 6 x HDDs, 2 x SSDs for cache and I have just added a final single M.2 SSD which I intend to use as a standalone unassigned device for virtual disk images. The main reason for being standalone is that I see that SSDs are not yet supported as part of the array and it's much higher capacity than the 2 x SSDs working as cache so wouldn't be fully utilised.

I would very much prefer to have the M.2 SSD encrypted in the same way as the other disks in the system (all BTRFS encrypted).

I read this statement in the plugin info...

An encrypted array disk can be mounted in UD with the following restrictions:

• The array disk passphrase has to be defined. You cannot enter the passphrase for the disk in UD.

• An array encrypted disk cannot be created with UD.

• The disk can only be mounted if the current array passphrase is the same as the UD encrypted disk.  Note: There has to be at least one encrypted disk in the array.

... and thought I'd been pretty clever in adding the M.2 SSD temporarily to the array so it was formatted as "BTRFS encrypted" using the same array passphrase, then removing it (shrinking the array) so I could then mount it via UD as per the above.

When I try and mount it however, I see this error message in the logs:

Mar 16 17:23:51 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0B-00YS70_180481420126: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 

I thought perhaps there was an issue with using BTRFS encrypted, but if I remove another HDD of the same format from the array, it mounts without error in UD, so UD is using the array passphrase OK.

The M.2 SSD will also add back in to the array without needing to be reformatted, suggesting the file system is OK.

Any suggestions appreciated thank-you.

Rich.

Edited by Oldbean57
SSD size clarity
37 minutes ago, Oldbean57 said:

Hello,

New unRAID user here. I've been having a lot of fun setting my new server up having come from a Synology background. I'm pretty much there, but do have one question about mounting an encrypted unassigned device that I'd appreciate some help with please.

My array consists of 6 x HDDs, 2 x SSDs for cache and I have just added a final single M.2 SSD which I intend to use as a standalone unassigned device for virtual disk images. The main reason for being standalone is that I see that SSDs are not yet supported as part of the array and it's much higher capacity than the 2 x SSDs working as cache so wouldn't be fully utilised.

I would very much prefer to have the M.2 SSD encrypted in the same way as the other disks in the system (all BTRFS encrypted).

I read this statement in the plugin info...

An encrypted array disk can be mounted in UD with the following restrictions:

• The array disk passphrase has to be defined. You cannot enter the passphrase for the disk in UD.

• An array encrypted disk cannot be created with UD.

• The disk can only be mounted if the current array passphrase is the same as the UD encrypted disk.  Note: There has to be at least one encrypted disk in the array.

... and thought I'd been pretty clever in adding the M.2 SSD temporarily to the array so it was formatted as "BTRFS encrypted" using the same array passphrase, then removing it (shrinking the array) so I could then mount it via UD as per the above.

When I try and mount it however, I see this error message in the logs:

Mar 16 17:23:51 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0B-00YS70_180481420126: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 

I thought perhaps there was an issue with using BTRFS encrypted, but if I remove another HDD of the same format from the array, it mounts without error in UD, so UD is using the array passphrase OK.

The M.2 SSD will also add back in to the array without needing to be reformatted, suggesting the file system is OK.

Any suggestions appreciated thank-you.

Rich.

Post diagnostics.

2 hours ago, Oldbean57 said:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me already. Diagnostics file attached.

Thanks,

Rich.

nas-diagnostics-20180316-1903.zip

After seeing the output of the diagnostics, I decided to have a look for the successful mounting of the HDD from the array to see why that would be any different for /dev/sdd, but I'm not sure if the details of a successful mount are recorded in detail as part of the "unassigned.devices" logging?

I was able to see the failed mount, for example:

Mar 16 16:57:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdj1'...
Mar 16 16:57:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0B-00YS70_180481420126'
Mar 16 16:57:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0B-00YS70_180481420126: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 
Mar 16 16:57:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WDS100T2B0B-00YS70_180481420126' could not be mounted...

Looking in the logs at how the encrypted disks in the array are unlocked using "cryptsetup" and then mounted, I replicated this manually via the Terminal for /dev/sdj1 and it mounted successfully, so I have a manual workaround for now from which I can run VMs:

root@NAS:/mnt# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdj1 sdj1
Enter passphrase for /dev/sdj1:
root@NAS:/mnt# mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/test'
root@NAS:/mnt# cd /mnt/disks/test
root@NAS:/mnt/disks/test# ls
root@NAS:/mnt/disks/test# ls -la
total 16
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  0 Mar 16 16:50 ./
drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody users 60 Mar 16 20:27 ../
root@NAS:/mnt/disks/test#

However it would be great to be able to use Unassigned Devices to have this happen automatically using the same passphrase as entered to start the array after each boot, then all will be mounted and ready for the VM services to start. I think the key is to work out why /dev/sdd mounted using the array passphrase but /dev/sdj will not.

Thanks for your help, Rich.

• trurl pinned this topic