Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Do you have NFS support enabled in Settings->Unassigned Devices?

Post diagnostics.

I don't have NFS enabled in those settings. I attempted to reboot and got a shutdown cannont execute /sbin/init error, so I fixed that with chmod and rebooted and it seems to be ok now. I'll circle back if the issue comes up again.

tower-diagnostics-20180903-1339.zip

Edited by ffhelllskjdje

A while ago, I created an NFS to a share on a remote unRaid server which mounts fine. Now I'm trying to create another NFS to a different share on the same remote unRaid server. Both of the remote shares have NFS security settings set to Export Public.

The source for the new NFS is:  192.168.1.200://mnt/user/U2USB

When I try to mount, it says mounting, but then fails. Am I missing a step? How would I debug this? 

Thanks, Richard

2 hours ago, RichardU said:

A while ago, I created an NFS to a share on a remote unRaid server which mounts fine. Now I'm trying to create another NFS to a different share on the same remote unRaid server. Both of the remote shares have NFS security settings set to Export Public.

The source for the new NFS is:  192.168.1.200://mnt/user/U2USB

When I try to mount, it says mounting, but then fails. Am I missing a step? How would I debug this? 

Thanks, Richard

See what the syslog says about why it couldn't be mounted.

Thanks dlandon,

It says access denied by server. The settings for the desired share on the other server are identical to the settings for the share that does work. Further, the desired share can be accessed by Windows computers on the network.

Is there anything I need to do on the other server besides create a share and make it public?

2 hours ago, RichardU said:

Thanks dlandon,

It says access denied by server. The settings for the desired share on the other server are identical to the settings for the share that does work. Further, the desired share can be accessed by Windows computers on the network.

Is there anything I need to do on the other server besides create a share and make it public?

Sounds like a permission issue.

I had a 2TB USB external disk that had an rsync daily user script running working for a while - but needed to be bigger drive.

I bought a new 3TB USB instead, formatted in windows, copied the files to it, added to unassigned disks.

The next scheduled rsync failed with issues, I tracked that down to the device not being spun up ?

Never had the issue on on the old HD.

Is there a way of me adding something to the script to spin up the device before the nightly backup ?

I can spin up manually, then manually run the script and it works fine.

Thanks.

Edited by vw-kombi
8 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

I had a 2TB USB external disk that had an rsync daily user script running working for a while - but needed to be bigger drive.

I bought a new 3TB USB instead, formatted in windows, copied the files to it, added to unassigned disks.

The next scheduled rsync failed with issues, I tracked that down to the device not being spun up ?

Never had the issue on on the old HD.

Is there a way of me adding something to the script to spin up the device before the nightly backup ?

I can spin up manually, then manually run the script and it works fine.

Thanks.

Use the same command you used to manually start it.

20 minutes ago, UntouchedWagons said:

How do I mount an encrypted external hard drive? UD recognizes the LUKS header but when I click "Mount" nothing happens, the page simply reloads

I don't think UD supports encrypted disks that weren't created on unRAID since it has no method to get any key. From the 1st post in this thread:

On 1/21/2016 at 10:55 AM, dlandon said:

An encrypted array disk can be mounted in UD with the following restrictions:

• The array disk passphrase has to be defined. You cannot enter the passphrase for the disk in UD.

• An array encrypted disk cannot be created with UD.

• The disk can only be mounted if the current array passphrase is the same as the UD encrypted disk.  Note: There has to be at least one encrypted disk in the array.

That's a shame.
How do you figure?
if I have an encrypted disk in my system and somebody walks off with it I don't want them to be able to mount it on their system to try to read my data I mean that makes perfect sense I think of course I am not a expert at disk encryption just saying

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

How do you figure?
if I have an encrypted disk in my system and somebody walks off with it I don't want them to be able to mount it on their system to try to read my data I mean that makes perfect sense I think of course I am not a expert at disk encryption just saying

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

HaHa I think you have bigger problems if someone can walk off with one of your drives🤣

20 hours ago, mrbilky said:

HaHa I think you have bigger problems if someone can walk off with one of your drives🤣

Not all drives are bolted down - some people have them that travel to and from locations.  It's not inconceivable that a drive could get taken.  Workplaces have removed drives waiting to be disposed of that could be swiped.  Granted, they're not supposed to, but it's not that unbelievable.

Genuine question: isn't the main reason of drive encryption to protect your data should it fall into the wrong hands?

8 minutes ago, sevilla_jjl said:

Been having a difficult time finding information for this.

I have 2 unassigned devices.

1xnvme with one partition

1x4tb hard disk

I would like to format these disks with multiple partitions.

I've used fdisk and parted. The partitions are created, but none are mountable.

Did you format them or not? If so, what filesystem are they formatted as?

If not, have you enabled formatting (Destructive Mode) in Unassigned Devices settings?

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Did you format them or not? If so, what filesystem are they formatted as?

If not, have you enabled formatting (Destructive Mode) in Unassigned Devices settings?

I partitioned, but i did not format. Did i miss something that obvious?

Destructive mode is still enabled. I used it to clear the original partition table.

Hi, in regards to this quote"DIsks formated XFS or BTRFS will be partitioned compatible with the array disks and can be installed in the array without a re-format."

If i move an unassigned disk that was formatted to XFS, to my array, will the data be still in tact, or will it delete all the files? I have the files in the appropriate share folder.

2 hours ago, reflectz said:

Hi, in regards to this quote"DIsks formated XFS or BTRFS will be partitioned compatible with the array disks and can be installed in the array without a re-format."

If i move an unassigned disk that was formatted to XFS, to my array, will the data be still in tact, or will it delete all the files? I have the files in the appropriate share folder.

Depends on how you move it. If the array is already parity protected, adding the drive to the array would invalidate parity, so it will be cleared before adding. If you don't have a parity disk assigned, it will be added intact. If you wish to add it to the array and you already have valid parity, you will have to set a new config and rebuild parity after adding the disk.

If this is not clear, ask specific questions before doing anything. You can easily erase data if you push the wrong button.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 9/20/2018 at 9:22 PM, jonathanm said:

Depends on how you move it. If the array is already parity protected, adding the drive to the array would invalidate parity, so it will be cleared before adding. If you don't have a parity disk assigned, it will be added intact. If you wish to add it to the array and you already have valid parity, you will have to set a new config and rebuild parity after adding the disk.

If this is not clear, ask specific questions before doing anything. You can easily erase data if you push the wrong button.

Thanks mate, I'm glad i raised the question. So to make sure the data on the unassigned drive is intact once i add it to the array. Firstly, i would stop the array, go to settings, new config and then i would preserve the data slots and cache slots but not the parity slots. 

Start the array and then add the unassigned drive and then later rebuild the parity drive? Would this be correct?

6 minutes ago, reflectz said:

Thanks mate, I'm glad i raised the question. So to make sure the data on the unassigned drive is intact once i add it to the array. Firstly, i would stop the array, go to settings, new config and then i would preserve the data slots and cache slots but not the parity slots. 

Start the array and then add the unassigned drive and then later rebuild the parity drive? Would this be correct?

Close. Once you do the new config you can keep all the drives, and it will build parity based on those drives. You can preserve all slots, and add the unassigned drive before you start the array. Only the parity drive(s) will be overwritten at that point.

New config tells unraid that parity is not valid, it needs to be rebuilt from scratch. That's why it says the new config can not be used to recover data from a failed drive.

• Like 1
  • trurl pinned this topic