Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

8 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Ah, brilliant it works now 🙂 I am sure this will make others with missing nvme temps happy also.

Great work and thank you for your prompt responses and dedication to getting this fixed.

Try one more thing for me.  Click on the device on the UD page and be sure the attributes for the disk are shown.

The issue was with the device that UD was trying to use to get the smart information for the disk.  The device is 'nvme0', but UD was using 'nvme0n1' as the device and that failed.  I think there might also be an issue with the device name when clicking the smart attributes because the device is displayed as 'nvme0n1' on the UD web page.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try one more thing for me.  Click on the device on the UD page and be sure the attributes for the disk are shown.

The issue was with the device that UD was trying to use to get the smart information for the disk.  The device is 'nvme0', but UD was using 'nvme0n1' as the device and that failed.  I think there might also be an issue with the device name when clicking the smart attributes because the device is displayed as 'nvme0n1' on the UD web page.

Clicked on attributes and all info is displayed correctly including the temp.

Trying to get some data off of my old Unraid server.  The hardware no longer boots so I have pulled the drives and plugged them into an external USB enclosure.  I've plugged the drives into my current Unraid server, but I'm unable to mount any of them so far in UD.  The drives are formatted in ReiserFS.  I get these messages in the log when trying to mount:

Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sda1'...
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t reiserfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/old1'
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): using ordered data mode
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: reiserfs: using flush barriers
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): journal params: device sda1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): checking transaction log (sda1)
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 ASC=0x24 ASCQ=0x0 
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x2a 2a 08 00 01 00 cf 00 00 08 00
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: print_req_error: critical target error, dev sda, sector 65743
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: print_req_error: critical target error, dev sda, sector 65743
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 8210, lost sync page write
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): journal-837 _update_journal_header_block: IO error during journal replay
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): reiserfs-2006 journal_init: Replay Failure, unable to mount
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): sh-2022 reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sda1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/old1: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST315003 41AS' could not be mounted...

1 hour ago, adammerkley said:

Trying to get some data off of my old Unraid server.  The hardware no longer boots so I have pulled the drives and plugged them into an external USB enclosure.  I've plugged the drives into my current Unraid server, but I'm unable to mount any of them so far in UD.  The drives are formatted in ReiserFS.  I get these messages in the log when trying to mount:

Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sda1'...
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t reiserfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/old1'
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): using ordered data mode
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: reiserfs: using flush barriers
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): journal params: device sda1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sda1): checking transaction log (sda1)
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x2a 2a 08 00 01 00 cf 00 00 08 00
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 8210, lost sync page write
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): journal-837 _update_journal_header_block: IO error during journal replay
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): reiserfs-2006 journal_init: Replay Failure, unable to mount
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sda1): sh-2022 reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sda1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/old1: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 
Oct 14 11:12:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST315003 41AS' could not be mounted...

Looks like a corrupted file system.  Click on '+' on the UD page, then click on the four squares icon.  That will do a disk file system check.

3 hours ago, adammerkley said:

This is a hardware error, likely related to the USB enclosure.

36 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

This is a hardware error, likely related to the USB enclosure.

Ah, thank you.  I will plug it into one of my open drive caddies.

Edit:  Plugged a single drive into one of my caddies and it worked right away.  Thanks so much!

Edited by adammerkley

Hello.
I am a newee user on this forum and unraid os,

i started using unassigned devices plugin for copy my old data from old disk formatted on ntfs to new disk on unraid for no loss data, the problem i am found is when the label of this contains especial characters for example '&' the url for access to view data is broken.

start.png.df4bfa430f802cb91ab4e7e09f86020c.png

broken.png.0de6f9ffecfa417265055f7e8dc82c4e.png

if the character is encoded the problem is resolved

solved.png.4226a13c4057d426706e11e8d2060514.png

i am not know if the problem is on plugin or unraid, sorry if not correct place for this.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  When I have an SMB setup in UD, it works great.  No issues.  But, if the NAS I have it connected to is shut down, and UD can't find it, it freezes up unraid and will not clean shut down meaning a hard shut down.  Is there a time out or does it just keep trying to connect indefinitely?  Thanks!

Edited by poopsie

Asked this question in more detail here, but figured this could be something UD might be able to help with:

I noticed that UD has some hooks/scripts in it somewhere that can keep UD shared devices in /etc/exports even if files services get restarted(the file gets blown away and rebuilt) so just a user script at array startup that echos those lines in and restarts nfsd won't work.  I have a ZFS file system I would like to share and was wondering if I could somehow use UD to share it over NFS, even though it is not mounted by UD itself.

Thanks,

-dev

On 10/14/2018 at 9:12 PM, 3d24rd0 said:

Hello.

i started using unassigned devices plugin for copy my old data from old disk formatted on ntfs to new disk on unraid for no loss data, the problem i am found is when the label of this contains especial characters for example '&' the url for access to view data is broken.

i am not know if the problem is on plugin or unraid, sorry if not correct place for this.

I'll take a look at this.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, poopsie said:

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  When I have an SMB setup in UD, it works great.  No issues.  But, if the NAS I have it connected to is shut down, and UD can't find it, it freezes up unraid and will not clean shut down meaning a hard shut down.  Is there a time out or does it just keep trying to connect indefinitely?  Thanks!

You need to keep the NAS running or unmount the remote SMB when the NAS is shut down.  I'm not sure there is anything UD can do.

7 hours ago, devros said:

Asked this question in more detail here, but figured this could be something UD might be able to help with:

I noticed that UD has some hooks/scripts in it somewhere that can keep UD shared devices in /etc/exports even if files services get restarted(the file gets blown away and rebuilt) so just a user script at array startup that echos those lines in and restarts nfsd won't work.  I have a ZFS file system I would like to share and was wondering if I could somehow use UD to share it over NFS, even though it is not mounted by UD itself.

Thanks,

-dev

UD has to mount it to be able to share it.

10 hours ago, dlandon said:

UD has to mount it to be able to share it.

with ZFS you can create ZVOLs, which present themselves as a normal block device /dev/zd0 for example.  You can partition, create other filesystems on it, just like you would a hard drive.  I created a test one and had UD rescan to see if it would pick it up, which it did not.  Since its just a regular block device, would it be possible to have UD recognize it and treat it like a hard drive?

On 10/14/2018 at 9:12 PM, 3d24rd0 said:

Hello.

The '&' character is not a valid character in the mount point name.  I updated UD and the '&' character will not be allowed in the mount point name.

12 hours ago, devros said:

with ZFS you can create ZVOLs, which present themselves as a normal block device /dev/zd0 for example.  You can partition, create other filesystems on it, just like you would a hard drive.  I created a test one and had UD rescan to see if it would pick it up, which it did not.  Since its just a regular block device, would it be possible to have UD recognize it and treat it like a hard drive?

UD started out as a way to mount USB drives to copy data to/from the server.  If has morphed into mounting hard drives for VMs and Dockers and remote SMB/NFS shares.  What you are asking for is taking UD to a feature set that is beyond the scope of where I care to take it.  You are asking for what I feel is a one off feature that I don't have time or interest in implementing or supporting.

You can mount the device manually and add to the SMB Extras to share it with samba to accomplish what you want.  Post in general support if you need help with doing this.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, poopsie said:

I changed the unmount when the server is shut down to specify the cifs file system when the server is shut down that may help with this situation.

The next time it happens, post the diagnostics captured from the shutdown so I can see more of what is happening.  The shutdown diagnostics can be found on your flash drive in the /logs folder.

• Upvote 1

When I mount NFS shares (after the second NFS mount) I cannot list the "/mnt/disks/" anymore and unraid becomes very unresponsive, so much that even restart got stuck for so long that I had to manually press the server reset button. I posted the message here but was asked to post on the General Support and/or the UD plugin support.

Maybe someone experienced this and can help me?

I'm attaching 2 diagnostics zip files, one after launch into 6.6.3 and before the 2 NFS mounts, and the other after the NFS mounts, the last one should show the problem.

Thanks,

Jorge

unraid-diagnostics-6.6.3-after-NFS-mount.zip

unraid-diagnostics-6.6.3-before-NFS-mount.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with the format button being grayed out.  I know it is mentioned in the OP to click the "+" next to the drive serial, but I don't have that.  On that drive that is already formatted ntfs I can click the "mount" button if it isn't clearing.  I have also removed and added the plugin.

5CEsR0b.png

Edited by DerfMcDoogal
  • trurl pinned this topic