Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I've been getting this fairly constantly in my logs since upgrading to 6.6.6 (possibly earlier, but may have not noticed)

Dec 25 22:28:35 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: Close unmatched open

Happens whether I force UD to mount via SMB 1.0 or autodetect (in which case it uses 2.0 for my secondary server shares and 3.0 for my window shares)

SMB issue?  Possible to silence it?  Happens between every 30 seconds and every 5 minutes

15 hours ago, TechMed said:

(Squid, your profile pics and quips crack me up! haha)

So I have the same issue as munit85 described, the UD's go missing after rebooting the server they were attached to.

The spinning circle of death appears...

UD_Gone_Missing.thumb.png.128b6a2f523c503dfef0881f2ccb403d.png

I have to reboot to get them back...

Any thoughts on how to get them back without having to reboot?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Try to unplug  all other USB Devices except your unraid Stick.

that was my fault.

Hi @Chrysen,

Unfortunately, I do not have any USB attached, other than the unRAID stick.

Everything is on the network.

This really stinks too because, I forgot to mention this earlier, every time I have to reboot, that server locks up and I have to reset.

REALLY do not like having to hit the 'reset' button.

Always fearful of corruption and it costs me a (32-hour) parity check.

Thank again for the potentially fix though.

Hope you had a nice holiday.

7 hours ago, Squid said:

I've been getting this fairly constantly in my logs since upgrading to 6.6.6 (possibly earlier, but may have not noticed)

Dec 25 22:28:35 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: Close unmatched open

Happens whether I force UD to mount via SMB 1.0 or autodetect (in which case it uses 2.0 for my secondary server shares and 3.0 for my window shares)

SMB issue?  Possible to silence it?  Happens between every 30 seconds and every 5 minutes

The best I can tell, this is from the changes lately to samba.  Can you only mount the remote devices that use SMB 3.0 and see if the log messages stop?  I believe that they are related to SMB 1.0 and SMB 2.0 mounts only.

17 hours ago, TechMed said:

(Squid, your profile pics and quips crack me up! haha)

So I have the same issue as munit85 described, the UD's go missing after rebooting the server they were attached to.

The spinning circle of death appears...

UD_Gone_Missing.thumb.png.128b6a2f523c503dfef0881f2ccb403d.png

I have to reboot to get them back...

Any thoughts on how to get them back without having to reboot?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

This is how CIFS works and I'm not sure UD can do anything about it.  Please post a diagnostics when this happens and I'll see if there is a place I can add a timeout to at least stop the hang.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Can you only mount the remote devices that use SMB 3.0

Unfortunately, that's impossible as unRaid doesn't look like it supports 3.0 for exports for some messed reason (both running 6.6.6)

Dec 26 08:56:46 ServerA unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//SERVERB/Movies' using SMB3 protocol.
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: Dialect not supported by server. Consider specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(95): Operation not supported Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

This is how CIFS works and I'm not sure UD can do anything about it.  Please post a diagnostics when this happens and I'll see if there is a place I can add a timeout to at least stop the hang.

Hi @dlandon,

Thanks for the assist.

I just had to do the reboot, about 24 hours ago, so here is a Diag zip file for your review when you have time.

Much appreciated!

tower01-diagnostics-20181226-1014.zip

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Unfortunately, that's impossible as unRaid doesn't look like it supports 3.0 for exports for some messed reason (both running 6.6.6)

Dec 26 08:56:46 ServerA unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//SERVERB/Movies' using SMB3 protocol.
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: Dialect not supported by server. Consider specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95
Dec 26 08:56:47 ServerA unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(95): Operation not supported Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .

k  I'm 'tupid  Seems like there was an entry in SMB Extra on the second server that limited SMB to be 2.0

EDIT: And it doesn't make a difference...  Not a big deal.  Merely an annoyance

Edited by Squid
7 hours ago, Squid said:

EDIT: And it doesn't make a difference...  Not a big deal.  Merely an annoyance

I saw where this particular log entry came from SMB 1.0 and 2.0, but I guess not.

I've been noticing these kinds of log entries showing up lately.  Not sure where they are coming from, but I suspect it's from changes being made to samba.

Is there any command line interface to this to look up information, mount/unmount drives?  I was using SNAP and am now moving to this, but I'm unsure how to fix a couple of the scripts I had that would mount and unmount drives following some logic, as well as checking if a drive is part of the array before performing certain functions.

2 hours ago, jfrancais said:

Is there any command line interface to this to look up information, mount/unmount drives?  I was using SNAP and am now moving to this, but I'm unsure how to fix a couple of the scripts I had that would mount and unmount drives following some logic, as well as checking if a drive is part of the array before performing certain functions.

Click the Help and read while on the UD page.

I posted over in the General Support section, but didn't get any bites; hopefully someone will be able to help out over here...

I recently upgraded (or, rather, replaced) my unRAID machine and ever since I've had a weird problem where it appears the network isn't initialized in order for Unassigned Devices to auto-mount an NFS share.  I never had any issues with this working in the past...

Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 unassigned.devices: Error: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.251' is offline and share '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' cannot be mounted.
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 emhttpd: Starting services... 
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 emhttpd: nothing to sync 
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t nfs -o defaults '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups' 
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' on '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups'.
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Defining share 'OMV-RPi2_Backups' with file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/OMV-RPi2_Backups.conf'
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Adding share 'OMV-RPi2_Backups' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Reloading Samba configuration...
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Directory '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups' shared successfully.

As you can see, it says the remote server is offline and the share is not accessible.  But just 1 minute later I can successfully mount the share manually.  Any advice on how to further troubleshoot this??

For reference, the new [relevant] hardware is: Supermicro X11SSM-F (only using one of the ports on the dual-NIC, and the second is disabled via jumper), Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6, Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, and Dell PERC H310.

Thank you!

Neil

50 minutes ago, nmacle01 said:

I posted over in the General Support section, but didn't get any bites; hopefully someone will be able to help out over here...

I recently upgraded (or, rather, replaced) my unRAID machine and ever since I've had a weird problem where it appears the network isn't initialized in order for Unassigned Devices to auto-mount an NFS share.  I never had any issues with this working in the past...

Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 unassigned.devices: Error: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.251' is offline and share '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' cannot be mounted.
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 emhttpd: Starting services... 
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 emhttpd: nothing to sync 
Dec 26 11:58:03 N12345 sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t nfs -o defaults '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups' 
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '192.168.1.251://export/Backups' on '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups'.
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Defining share 'OMV-RPi2_Backups' with file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/OMV-RPi2_Backups.conf'
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Adding share 'OMV-RPi2_Backups' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Reloading Samba configuration...
Dec 26 11:59:12 N12345 unassigned.devices: Directory '/mnt/disks/OMV-RPi2_Backups' shared successfully.

As you can see, it says the remote server is offline and the share is not accessible.  But just 1 minute later I can successfully mount the share manually.  Any advice on how to further troubleshoot this??

For reference, the new [relevant] hardware is: Supermicro X11SSM-F (only using one of the ports on the dual-NIC, and the second is disabled via jumper), Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6, Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, and Dell PERC H310.

Thank you!

Neil

UD is trying to access the remote server before your network is initialized.

Fortunately, I was able to gather that much from the initial troubleshooting I’ve done.  Unfortunately, I don’t know how to fix the issue, or understand why this would have started happening because of some different hardware being introduced.  Is there somewhere in a config file I can add a delayed start of UD?

And the motherboard I have isn’t uncommon, so I imagine others would run into as well, no?

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by nmacle01
Added comment...
4 hours ago, nmacle01 said:

Fortunately, I was able to gather that much from the initial troubleshooting I’ve done.  Unfortunately, I don’t know how to fix the issue, or understand why this would have started happening because of some different hardware being introduced.  Is there somewhere in a config file I can add a delayed start of UD?

And the motherboard I have isn’t uncommon, so I imagine others would run into as well, no?

Thanks,

Neil

Put these lines in a user script:

sleep 10
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount auto

And set it to run on 'At First Array Start Only'.  UD mounts the devices at the disks_mounted event and it is probably a bit too soon for your network to be ready,  This script will mount any auto mount devices that didn't mount the first time and will not cause any problems to devices already mounted.  You may have to adjust the 'sleep 10' line.

Edited by dlandon
11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Put these lines in a user script:

sleep 10
usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount auto

And set it to run on 'At First Array Start Only'.  UD mounts the devices at the disks_mounted event and it is probably a bit too soon for your network to be ready,  This script will mount any auto mount devices that didn't mount the first time and will not cause any problems to devices already mounted.  You may have to adjust the 'sleep 10' line.

Thank you, very much, Dan!

I added this to a User Script (sleeping for 30s and had to add a leading forward slash /, or else it could not find the file rc.unassigned) and added a 45 delay on my Duplicati docker (which utilizes the NFS mount), and it works as expected!

Much appreciated!

Neil

13 minutes ago, nmacle01 said:

had to add a leading forward slash /, or else it could not find the file rc.unassigned

Sorry, a bad cut and paste.  For future reference if you click the 'Help' while on the UD webpage you'll see the rc.unassigned script examples.

Edited by dlandon
On 12/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, TechMed said:

Hi @dlandon,

Thanks for the assist.

I just had to do the reboot, about 24 hours ago, so here is a Diag zip file for your review when you have time.

Much appreciated!

tower01-diagnostics-20181226-1014.zip

Try the latest version and see if it helps.  I found a few places where there was potential for hangs.

Edited by dlandon
  • Upvote 1
On 12/13/2018 at 7:26 AM, manofcolombia said:

Unraid 6.6.6

I have been having issues with an NSF mount that seems to unmount/stop responding in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was SMB being weird so I switched over to NFS, but I am still having the same issue. This drive is mounted with no special scripting. The drive holds a music library that is then mapped to a plex container. At somepoint, normally in the middle of the night, but it has happened a couple of times during the day and even during active use of the drive, music ceases to be playable. The gui for unassigned devices shows a zero byte counter and I have to unmount and attempt to remount it a couple of times before it mounts successfully again. I don't really get any "useful" logs around the time that I believe the issue happens on either side. The NFS share is on a vm on another host "locally" - logically anyway. Its being accessed over IPsec tunnel that shares other resources. I have confirmed that the tunnel is constantly up and doesn't go down during the time of the issue. 

This is a problem with Unraid 6.6.x. I spent a lot of time researching this, and Lime Tech tells you it's a third-party plugin and to contact Unassigned Devices. Unassigned Devices tells you that your remote server is offline or you have network issues. That's not the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what the actual problem because everyone points fingers somewhere else.

The fact is that numerous people have issues with drives dropping from Unassigned Devices when using Unraid 6.6.x. Affects both SMB and NFS. Mapped drives suddenly drop during moderate or high usage. The only solution is to revert back to Unraid 6.5.3. Everything works fine until you upgrade to 6.6.x, so clearly it is NOT an offline server or network problem but directly related to 6.6.x. I have researched Slackware and Linux support for similar issues but haven't found a solution. I suspect our problem has something to do with old protocols (my remotes are old ReadyNAS that only support SMB 1.0/2.0...not sure about NFS but likely v3 or possibly 4 or 4.1) and some upgraded component in the base distro of Unraid 6.6.x that Unassigned Devices requires.

Before I say this next part, let me first say that I love Unraid. Its capabilities are amazing: unique (not) RAID parity solution, Dockers, virtual machines, LUKS, huge community support. And huge thanks to dlandon for providing and supporting this plugin for free. HOWEVER, I think it is pathetic that Lime Tech has to rely on third parties just to map a remote network drive. This should be built-in (as it has been on a every major operating system since the 1990s, including Linux and Slackware that Unraid is based on), so we can avoid the finger-pointing that we're encountering here and get actual support from Lime Tech to fix this issue.

Until then, the only solution is to revert back to Unraid 6.5.3 and be envious of everyone who is able to upgrade, use new features, patch security holes, etc.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BennTech said:

This is a problem with Unraid 6.6.x. I spent a lot of time researching this, and Lime Tech tells you it's a third-party plugin and to contact Unassigned Devices. Unassigned Devices tells you that your remote server is offline or you have network issues. That's not the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what the actual problem because everyone points fingers somewhere else.

The fact is that numerous people have issues with drives dropping from Unassigned Devices when using Unraid 6.6.x. Affects both SMB and NFS. Mapped drives suddenly drop during moderate or high usage. The only solution is to revert back to Unraid 6.5.3. Everything works fine until you upgrade to 6.6.x, so clearly it is NOT an offline server or network problem but directly related to 6.6.x. I have researched Slackware and Linux support for similar issues but haven't found a solution. I suspect our problem has something to do with old protocols (my remotes are old ReadyNAS that only support SMB 1.0/2.0...not sure about NFS but likely v3 or possibly 4 or 4.1) and some upgraded component in the base distro of Unraid 6.6.x that Unassigned Devices requires.

Before I say this next part, let me first say that I love Unraid. Its capabilities are amazing: unique (not) RAID parity solution, Dockers, virtual machines, LUKS, huge community support. And huge thanks to dlandon for providing and supporting this plugin for free. HOWEVER, I think it is pathetic that Lime Tech has to rely on third parties just to map a remote network drive. This should be built-in (as it has been on a every major operating system since the 1990s, including Linux and Slackware that Unraid is based on), so we can avoid the finger-pointing that we're encountering here and get actual support from Lime Tech to fix this issue.

Until then, the only solution is to revert back to Unraid 6.5.3 and be envious of everyone who is able to upgrade, use new features, patch security holes, etc.

Have you posted a diagnostics?  I don't remember seeing one on this issue.  Just posting a problem without any additional information is not useful.  I haven't seen the finger pointing that you are referring to. .  There have been a lot of changes lately to samba to address security and those changes may relate to this issue.  This is probably not an issue with Unraid because UD uses Linux to perform the mounts.

Update to 6.6.6 and the latest UD and then post a diagnostics when you see the issue.  I may be able to add some logging to track it down.

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Have you posted a diagnostics?  I don't remember seeing one on this issue.  Just posting a problem without any additional information is not useful.  I haven't seen the finger pointing that you are referring to. .  There have been a lot of changes lately to samba to address security and those changes may relate to this issue.  This is probably not an issue with Unraid because UD uses Linux to perform the mounts.

Update to 6.6.6 and the latest UD and then post a diagnostics when you see the issue.  I may be able to add some logging to track it down.

I ended up moving the entire library to my storage for the time being, but I'll get diagnostics for 6.6.6. I thought I had attached them but it was just the log snippets - shame on me.

Actually, @dlandon how far back will diagnostics go? Will they survive a reboot of the host?

Edited by manofcolombia
8 minutes ago, manofcolombia said:

I ended up moving the entire library to my storage for the time being, but I'll get diagnostics for 6.6.6. I thought I had attached them but it was just the log snippets - shame on me.

Actually, @dlandon how far back will diagnostics go? Will they survive a reboot of the host?

They are only current to the latest boot.

53 minutes ago, manofcolombia said:

Try this then. It should be in there. I see the logs of it not responding. 

stylophora-diagnostics-20181230-1314.zip

Someone with this issue please give the attached file a try.  I cannot replicate the problem on my setup.  I suspect the problem is from the default mount values in older versions of nfs not being appropriate for our situation.  I modified the timeout and retry values when mounting a nfs share.  Let me see your diagnostics after you give it a try.

Unzip and copy the attached file to:

cp lib.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php

Then mount the nfs and see if the log messages are still there.

lib.zip

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Someone with this issue please give the attached file a try.  I cannot replicate the problem on my setup.  I suspect the problem is from the default mount values in older versions of nfs not being appropriate for our situation.  I modified the timeout and retry values when mounting a nfs share.  Let me see your diagnostics after you give it a try.

Unzip and copy the attached file to:

cp lib.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php

Then mount the nfs and see if the log messages are still there.

lib.zip

Testing it now. Set the share up as a separate library so the setup should be identical now. 

• trurl pinned this topic