Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

What docker is it specifically? Plex for example has always had the ability to use files shared on the network in its media library.

Does Nas 1 also need to mount shares on Nas 2? I think that is the main point he was making.

I didnt know plex could do that. Ill have to change my sources then, aw man thats going to be a bitch

ok this is my mess...

Nas 1 runs Radarr and Sonarr, these both need to read and write from Nas 2 and a 3rd computer that does the actual downloading

Nas 2 needs access to files from Nas 1 because I have Plex running and Nas 2 has a few shares

so Nas 1 has mounts from Nas 2 and vice versa

17 minutes ago, Wavey said:

wait you said reshare, is there a way to mount the shares using unassigned drives that doesnt reshare them?

That's the whole point of the remote mount.  You mount a remote share and it is shared as SMB or NFS on the local server.

I'm going to adjust some timeouts when UD tries to get the remote share size/used/free.  It seems that the df command hangs for a long time when cifs mounts are off-line.  There will still be a delay, but it will come back a lot quicker.  There may be times when the device size/used/free doesn't show.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:08 PM, dlandon said:

Post a screen shot of UD when it loads properly.  I need to see what devices you are mounting.  Also post your diagnostics.

Thank You for responding, I did not notice the notification, sorry for the delayed answer.

My Unassigned devices in working situation

image.thumb.png.c30136525101a701c4b21210b5b14685.png

Diagnostics attached.

Thanks

//HoBBiS
PS. Thanks for a fantastic plugin BTW :)

fullback-diagnostics-20190305-1948.zip

1 hour ago, hobbis said:

Thank You for responding, I did not notice the notification, sorry for the delayed answer.

My Unassigned devices in working situation

image.thumb.png.c30136525101a701c4b21210b5b14685.png

Diagnostics attached.

Thanks

//HoBBiS
PS. Thanks for a fantastic plugin BTW :)

fullback-diagnostics-20190305-1948.zip

As I suspected, you are using remote mounts.  Do you have any other devices in UD?  I am working on some time outs that should keep UD from becoming completely unresponsive, but I'm not sure it will help in your situation.

I have several recommendations:

- For the time being, remove the preclear plugin.  UD and preclear are connected in several ways and could be interacting negatively.  Reboot the server to be sure preclear is completely removed.  This will occur if you update Unraid.

- Update Unraid to rc5.  There were some issues with earlier releases.

- Update UD to the latest version I will release later today.

Then see if you have any issues with UD hanging.  If it hangs, I would just see if it times out.  It may take minutes.  Open another browser session and move on if you can.  Don't try to stop the server or shutdown/reboot.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

As I suspected, you are using remote mounts.  Do you have any other devices in UD?  I am working on some time outs that should keep UD from becoming completely unresponsive, but I'm not sure it will help in your situation.

I have several recommendations:

- For the time being, remove the preclear plugin.  UD and preclear are connected in several ways and could be interacting negatively.  Reboot the server to be sure preclear is completely removed.  This will occur if you update Unraid.

- Update Unraid to rc5.  There were some issues with earlier releases.

- Update UD to the latest version I will release later today.

Then see if you have any issues with UD hanging.  If it hangs, I would just see if it times out.  It may take minutes.  Open another browser session and move on if you can.  Don't try to stop the server or shutdown/reboot.

Thank You.

I will try the steps You provided and report back on the results when tested properly. I don't use any other devices right now, but I will do some tests with USB attached devices as well. 🙂

Retirement donation incoming ;-)

Edited by hobbis
missed a question regarding other devices.
On 3/5/2019 at 9:42 PM, hobbis said:

Thank You.

I will try the steps You provided and report back on the results when tested properly. I don't use any other devices right now, but I will do some tests with USB attached devices as well. 🙂

Retirement donation incoming ;-)

So far, so good. After following your recommendations and upgrading to the latest version, I have not yet encountered any hangups with Unassigned devices. I am working on getting my uptime a bit longer now to see if the errors re-occurs.

Thanks for the assistance!

Can anyone help me understand what is going on here, I want to mount some shares via NFS (only) on my synology, the problem is once unraid mounts the share, all the permissions on the synology are reset, this doesn't happen with SMB shares.

For example, I have a Plex share which I only want to be rw by the dockers, and ro by SMB, but even if I remove all the file level permissions and only leave the administrators group with full access, after I press mount in unassigned devices, it removes the administrators group and re-adds nobody, everyone and users will permissions.

What is going on?

Running latest RC

Have a 1TB SSD as an Unassigned Device

Have Auto Mount and Share enabled

I am unable to get to the share from a windows PC either by \\Tower or by \\Tower\share_name

Enable Disk Shares in enabled in Global Settings

I can see all of the Disk# that are part of my array as "Disk shares" on the Shares tab but not the one I am trying to share

Found that smb-shares.conf did not have an entry for my share_name

Copied an entry from [Disk1] and changed the name and local mount point

I can now browse to \\Tower and see it but it still does not show up on UnRaid Shares tab

The only way I could get to the share was to hand enter it into smb-shares.conf

Any idea what my problem may be?

Thanks

~Sully

37 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Running latest RC

Have a 1TB SSD as an Unassigned Device

Have Auto Mount and Share enabled

I am unable to get to the share from a windows PC either by \\Tower or by \\Tower\share_name

Enable Disk Shares in enabled in Global Settings

I can see all of the Disk# that are part of my array as "Disk shares" on the Shares tab but not the one I am trying to share

Found that smb-shares.conf did not have an entry for my share_name

Copied an entry from [Disk1] and changed the name and local mount point

I can now browse to \\Tower and see it but it still does not show up on UnRaid Shares tab

The only way I could get to the share was to hand enter it into smb-shares.conf

Any idea what my problem may be?

Thanks

~Sully

It's not a good idea to manually enter shares into smb-shares.conf.

Check that the 'Enable SMB Security?' is set to 'Yes' in Settings->Unassigned Devices.  This permits the SMB sharing of your UD mounted devices.

7 hours ago, trurl said:

This has nothing at all to do with Unassigned Devices. I recommend you set this back to Auto. You can get yourself in trouble working directly with the assigned disks.

Right.  I only did it to test and it did not resolve anything so I set it back.

I enables SMB Security in the UD settings and still no joy.

I have the SNAP plugin installed but dont use it.  Could SNAP be conflicting with anything?

Here is my SMB extras

[global]
  security = USER
  guest account = nobody
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map to guest = bad user

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end

and here is the contents of the other conf files

root@IceTower:~# more /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf

include = /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Downloads.conf
root@IceTower:~# more /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Downloads.conf
[Downloads]
        path = /mnt/disks/Downloads
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        vfs objects =
root@IceTower:~#

and here is the actual mounted drive

/dev/sde1 on /mnt/disks/Downloads type xfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard)

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

I have the SNAP plugin installed but dont use it. 

What plugin is that? There was a plugin way back in Unraid V5 by that name, and it had a similar purpose to Unassigned Devices. Surely that isn't the plugin you mean is it?

You shouldn't be using any plugins that aren't available on the Apps page.

Perhaps this was a typo. There is a SNMP plugin. Is that what you were referring to?

33 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Here is my SMB extras

[global]
  security = USER
  guest account = nobody
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map to guest = bad user

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end

and here is the contents of the other conf files

root@IceTower:~# more /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf

include = /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Downloads.conf
root@IceTower:~# more /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Downloads.conf
[Downloads]
        path = /mnt/disks/Downloads
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        vfs objects =
root@IceTower:~#

and here is the actual mounted drive

/dev/sde1 on /mnt/disks/Downloads type xfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard)

Remove all the stuff you have added to the smb-extra.conf file and let UD manage the share and the smb-extra.conf.

Everything else looks good.

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I cleaned up all the stuff and still did not work.  Just installed RC5 and it is working.  Either the RC update corrected my issue or just the reboot took care of it.

You'd have to restart samba to have the changed settings applied.  Probably the reboot cleaned it all up.

Hi, not sure if this is a fixable problem but my drives are unmounted and used only for VM's as I only use a VM maybe once a week I want them to remain spun-down, but whenever I access the Main page they spin-up and the only way to spin them back down seems to be to open a terminal and use hdparm? How do I stop them from spinning up unless needed?

Cheers,

Tim

2 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Hi, not sure if this is a fixable problem but my drives are unmounted and used only for VM's as I only use a VM maybe once a week I want them to remain spun-down, but whenever I access the Main page they spin-up and the only way to spin them back down seems to be to open a terminal and use hdparm? How do I stop them from spinning up unless needed?

Cheers,

Tim

Read the second post on drives spinning up.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Read the second post on drives spinning up.

Hi, thanks for responding but that doesn't answer my question. Unassigned devices shows the status of the drive ie. spun up or down temp etc. What I'd like is for them not to spin up when I access the Main page on Unraid UI, I know they do it because I hear them start up, then the only way to spin them down again is via command line! Is this possible?

Cheers,

Tim

3 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Hi, thanks for responding but that doesn't answer my question. Unassigned devices shows the status of the drive ie. spun up or down temp etc. What I'd like is for them not to spin up when I access the Main page on Unraid UI, I know they do it because I hear them start up, then the only way to spin them down again is via command line! Is this possible?

Cheers,

Tim

This is in the second post and should answer your question:

A drive that is not mounted will show spun down and will not show temperature unless a script file is created.  The Disk Attributes will also be disabled for the drive.  The easiest way to handle this is to click on the edit script icon, select the default script, and then save it.  The default script does not do anything with the drive.

and is why I asked you to read it.  Delete the script for this drive.

• trurl pinned this topic