Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 minutes ago, cpthook said:

Yes I've tried that several times but get the same result.  

Mar 31 08:56:38 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing configuration '//TOWERII/backupshare'.
Mar 31 08:57:52 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//192.168.1.11/backupshare' using SMB1 protocol.
Mar 31 08:57:52 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0,username='',password=******* '//192.168.1.11/backupshare' '/mnt/disks/TOWERII_backupshare'
Mar 31 08:57:52 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.1.11/backupshare' failed. Error message: username specified with no parameter 

What username are you entering?

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What username are you entering?

Not quite sure i follow..  I don't have SMB security enabled in UD settings, and I've never configured a username or password for SMB shares in UD which is why this log entry looks so strange to me.   The exact same thing is happening on both of my servers.  

UD Help.PNG

Edited by cpthook

Wait for a bit and I'll issue an update to the plugin.

Bingo!!   Thanks a million for the support that you and so many others provide to me when I find myself in a jam.  FIVE STARS!  I notice that on some occasions you may feel unappreciated, but know that some like me wouldn't be able to maintain their rigs without support like yours. 

I have a question, I am a new user to the unraid environment and am just trying to get my toes wet and switching from a windows server environment.

so my question is that I have a single 4tb drive that has all of my movies and tv shows on it for plex, I do not want to wipe this drive at this time and would prefer a temporary solution to be able to mount it so that I can make the plex docker see the data. I do not have money for another 4tb drive at this time but am planning to get one later this month, I tried to use unassigned drives to be able to move over at least a majority of the movies and tv shows to the drives on the server at this time but it doesn't even show there is a drive to mount. The server does recognize the drives as I do have the option to format it as seen in the following pictures and it can be mounted as a parity drive but I'm trying to find a way to transfer the data at least to the drives I do have in the computer. Advice is appreciated.

unassigned 1.PNG

unassigned 2.PNG

unassigned 3.PNG

On 12/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, dlandon said:

Have you posted a diagnostics?  I don't remember seeing one on this issue.  Just posting a problem without any additional information is not useful.  I haven't seen the finger pointing that you are referring to. .  There have been a lot of changes lately to samba to address security and those changes may relate to this issue.  This is probably not an issue with Unraid because UD uses Linux to perform the mounts.

Update to 6.6.6 and the latest UD and then post a diagnostics when you see the issue.  I may be able to add some logging to track it down.

I finally have some downtime where I'm not in need of regular backups can work with you to troubleshoot this.

Previously, I have been running 6.5.3 using a Duplicati docker to backup my Unraid files to old Netgear ReadyNAS NV and NV+ mounted with Unassigned Devices using SMB. When I upgraded to 6.6.x, my NAS devices would drop from Unassigned Devices when my Duplicati backups ran. Logs show the mounts timed out and Unassigned Devices would show them mounted with a 0/0 byte count. I switched the shares to NFS. Same issue. I tried multiple versions of Unraid (6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, and now 6.6.7), all the same issue. Multiple versions of Unassigned devices. Same issue. Yes, they are mounted as RW/Slave in docker.

My Duplicati docker is the only thing on Unraid that accesses these drives, so to troubleshoot further. I did a clean boot, opened a terminal, and copied files directly to/from the NAS using cp. I copied several hundred MB from the NAS to Unraid successfully. However, copying the files back to the NAS, it failed. Out of the dozen files, only one file was created, but it was 0 bytes when it should have been 50 MB. And again, same issue as above: timeouts in diagnostics and Unassigned Devices shows that NAS mounted with 0/0 byte count. Thus, this isn't just isolated to Duplicati or dockers, but also occurs in Unraid itself.

Attached are diagnostics. The first three show Unassigned Devices during my Duplicati backups. The last one is using a terminal and cp to copy files directly.

moria-diagnostics-20190401-1815.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190401-1950.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190402-0108.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190402-0129.zip

6 hours ago, tsxfire said:

I have a question, I am a new user to the unraid environment and am just trying to get my toes wet and switching from a windows server environment.

so my question is that I have a single 4tb drive that has all of my movies and tv shows on it for plex, I do not want to wipe this drive at this time and would prefer a temporary solution to be able to mount it so that I can make the plex docker see the data. I do not have money for another 4tb drive at this time but am planning to get one later this month, I tried to use unassigned drives to be able to move over at least a majority of the movies and tv shows to the drives on the server at this time but it doesn't even show there is a drive to mount. The server does recognize the drives as I do have the option to format it as seen in the following pictures and it can be mounted as a parity drive but I'm trying to find a way to transfer the data at least to the drives I do have in the computer. Advice is appreciated.

unassigned 1.PNG

unassigned 2.PNG

unassigned 3.PNG

You'll have to post diagnostics so someone can help you.  Whenever you post an issue, add your diagnostics so I don't have to waste time asking.

5 hours ago, BennTech said:

I finally have some downtime where I'm not in need of regular backups can work with you to troubleshoot this.

Previously, I have been running 6.5.3 using a Duplicati docker to backup my Unraid files to old Netgear ReadyNAS NV and NV+ mounted with Unassigned Devices using SMB. When I upgraded to 6.6.x, my NAS devices would drop from Unassigned Devices when my Duplicati backups ran. Logs show the mounts timed out and Unassigned Devices would show them mounted with a 0/0 byte count. I switched the shares to NFS. Same issue. I tried multiple versions of Unraid (6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, and now 6.6.7), all the same issue. Multiple versions of Unassigned devices. Same issue. Yes, they are mounted as RW/Slave in docker.

My Duplicati docker is the only thing on Unraid that accesses these drives, so to troubleshoot further. I did a clean boot, opened a terminal, and copied files directly to/from the NAS using cp. I copied several hundred MB from the NAS to Unraid successfully. However, copying the files back to the NAS, it failed. Out of the dozen files, only one file was created, but it was 0 bytes when it should have been 50 MB. And again, same issue as above: timeouts in diagnostics and Unassigned Devices shows that NAS mounted with 0/0 byte count. Thus, this isn't just isolated to Duplicati or dockers, but also occurs in Unraid itself.

Attached are diagnostics. The first three show Unassigned Devices during my Duplicati backups. The last one is using a terminal and cp to copy files directly.

moria-diagnostics-20190401-1815.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190401-1950.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190402-0108.zip

moria-diagnostics-20190402-0129.zip

Looks to me like you have a network or server issues.  They are going off-line.

Apr  1 15:01:00 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS02 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
Apr  1 15:01:00 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS03 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
Apr  1 15:01:02 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS01 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

This is at the CIFS level.  My guess is a network issue. 

44 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Looks to me like you have a network or server issues.  They are going off-line.

Apr  1 15:01:00 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS02 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
Apr  1 15:01:00 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS03 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
Apr  1 15:01:02 Moria kernel: CIFS VFS: Server NAS01 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

This is at the CIFS level.  My guess is a network issue. 

My servers are NOT going offline. That is EXACTLY the finger pointing that I described back in December in this thread where you responded saying you haven't seen any finger pointing.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:46 AM, BennTech said:

This is a problem with Unraid 6.6.x. I spent a lot of time researching this, and Lime Tech tells you it's a third-party plugin and to contact Unassigned Devices. Unassigned Devices tells you that your remote server is offline or you have network issues. That's not the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what the actual problem because everyone points fingers somewhere else.

The fact is that numerous people have issues with drives dropping from Unassigned Devices when using Unraid 6.6.x. Affects both SMB and NFS. Mapped drives suddenly drop during moderate or high usage. The only solution is to revert back to Unraid 6.5.3. Everything works fine until you upgrade to 6.6.x, so clearly it is NOT an offline server or network problem but directly related to 6.6.x. I have researched Slackware and Linux support for similar issues but haven't found a solution. I suspect our problem has something to do with old protocols (my remotes are old ReadyNAS that only support SMB 1.0/2.0...not sure about NFS but likely v3 or possibly 4 or 4.1) and some upgraded component in the base distro of Unraid 6.6.x that Unassigned Devices requires.

Let me make this clear: MY SERVERS ARE NOT OFFLINE. I HAVE NO NETWORK ISSUES. My backups with the Duplicati docker have been rock solid since I started them a year ago. Back in October I upgraded to 6.6.x (tested 6.6.0 through 6.6.3) with no changes to my NAS devices or network. Unraid 6.6.x FAILS EVERY TIME with a timeout. Every backup failed for an entire month while I researched and troubleshot and found numerous people reporting this same issue and no one believing them--i.e., no Unraid or Unassigned Devices fix because "it's a server issue". I revert back to 6.5.3, and everything works again. No changes to NAS or network. Rock solid for the past 6 months on 6.5.3. Yesterday I upgrade to 6.6.7. No changes to NAS or network. Unraid immediately fails again with timeouts. I think I have a solid case for proving it is Unraid 6.6.x and NOT MY SERVERS.

I have some time now to help you (and Lime Tech) troubleshoot Unraid 6.6.x. Do you want to troubleshoot or point fingers at my servers exactly like I said you and Lime Tech have been doing? Unfortunately, YOU dlandon are going to have to convince Lime Tech that it's actually Unraid causing the problem because when people like me bring this up, Lime Tech points the finger at your third-party plugin. In reality, Lime Tech has utterly failed by creating a Linux server that cannot access other servers without third-party plugins like yours. So thank you, dlandon, for stepping up and filling in this GLARING DEFICIENCY IN UNRAID. (Are you listening Lime Tech? If dlandon isn't on your payroll, he should be for all the value he has added to Unraid.)

I should add that I've been a computer programmer since the 1980s. I currently run my own IT company. I haven't done much Linux programming, but I am familiar with the OS. I am well-versed in client/server and networking protocols. My network switch is a smart switch. I can run Wireshark if we need.

I'm ready to go. You want to troubleshoot? Limited time offer, though. I can't afford to skip backups forever. (You can message me privately if you want to avoid clogging this thread with troubleshooting this one issue.)

2 hours ago, BennTech said:

If dlandon isn't on your payroll

Only Administrators work for Limetech (Unraid). Everyone else you encounter on this forum are just other users like yourself, some of whom dedicate some of their free time to helping others, including creating addons for Unraid. Often they don't get the appreciation they deserve.

@BennTech I get that you're frustrated because you're dealing with troubleshooting an issue, but let's get a few things straight here.

13 hours ago, BennTech said:

Previously, I have been running 6.5.3 using a Duplicati docker to backup my Unraid files to old Netgear ReadyNAS NV and NV+ mounted with Unassigned Devices using SMB.

Is it possible that your ReadyNAS is outdated and maybe can't support the updates to the SMB protocol in both the software/kernel that are in the latest build's of Unraid?

QUESTION TO ANYONE:  Does anyone here use Unassigned Devices + Remote Shares with two servers and its working fine?  How about anyone with 2 Unraid servers using the latest build?

Bottom line:  If you or others can reproduce this issue consistently when using remote shares to multiple platforms (not just your ReadyNAS), it may elevate the priority of the issue with us, as we know plenty of folks dependent on this plugin.  So far, I only see you complaining which leads me to believe this is likely an issue specific to that ReadyNAS you're using.  Maybe we update our OS/kernel/packages far more frequently than ReadyNAS?

At this point, we need to see evidence that this affects more than just one user with one specific setup (ReadyNAS + Duplicati backups over SMB/NFS).  Can you reproduce the issue just manually copying a large volume of data from a Windows PC to a share? What about over NFS from another Linux client?  If you can show this issue has a wider impact to the community, I will look closer and try to replicate, but if you can only show the problem with your specific setup, you're just going to have to wait for future updates on both us and ReadyNAS to see if that resolves the issue in the future (as we update kernels/packages including SMB).

Also, what about using ReadyNAS to map remote shares to Unraid instead of the other way around?

25 minutes ago, jonp said:

QUESTION TO ANYONE:  Does anyone here use Unassigned Devices + Remote Shares with two servers and its working fine?  How about anyone with 2 Unraid servers using the latest build?

I've got 2 unRaid servers that use Unassigned Devices and cross mount SMB shares to each other with no problems.

I also use UD to mount a Windows share hosted on a bare metal machine (always on 24-7) with no problems.

@BennTech you have configured jumbo frames up to 9000 bytes, but it seems your NIC supports only up to 6128 bytes.

Apr  1 14:54:19 Moria kernel: r8169 0000:0a:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 6128 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

Start with the default size of 1500 bytes and test if the issue occurs.

Next raise the frame size to say 6000 bytes and retest. Also make sure the receiving side and any switch in between is capable of handling this size too.

6 hours ago, bonienl said:

@BennTech you have configured jumbo frames up to 9000 bytes, but it seems your NIC supports only up to 6128 bytes.

Apr  1 14:54:19 Moria kernel: r8169 0000:0a:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 6128 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

Start with the default size of 1500 bytes and test if the issue occurs.

Next raise the frame size to say 6000 bytes and retest. Also make sure the receiving side and any switch in between is capable of handling this size too.

Finally something useful! THANK YOU, boneinl! Disabling jumbo frames and reverting to 1500 MTU fixed it! I might go back and bump up to 6000 (everything else on my network supports at least that). I might even revert back to 6.5.3 to see what the MTU is there. Perhaps an updated driver lowered the max. But for now it works. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

6 hours ago, jonp said:

Based on these last two replies, I think the issue that @BennTech is having is clearly specific to his setup.

I didn't know should have been keeping records to prove other people had issues back when I spent days researching this back in October, but a quick search pulls up:

• "WonkoTheSane" posted in this thread starting on October 1, 2018 with the same NFS timeouts between TWO UNRAID SERVERS.
  • "manofcolumbia" posted in this thread starting on December 13, 2018 with the same SMB and NFS timeout issues.
  • "Oppaunke" posted in the Duplicati thread on October 27, 2018 with the exact same issue I have: Duplicati locks up during backup.
  • "jj_uk" posted in the Duplicati thread shortly thereafter about the same lockups writing to SMB via Unassigned Devices.
  • And there's me.

By the way, it's not just SMB, it's NFS as well, as WonkoTheSane, manofcolumbia, and I have all documented.

7 hours ago, jonp said:

We do have plans to incorporate this plugin into the OS in the not-too-distant future.  That said, you purchased Unraid OS knowing that Unassigned Devices and remote share connections were not built-in functions of the software.  If this was a requirement of built-in functionality, you could have decided at the time to not purchase it.  It doesn't matter how badly you want it to be a part of the software.  You as an individual don't get to decide when we take-on / incorporate a plugin into the base OS.  We do it a lot (as history will show), but we do it on our timeline, not yours. 

You deleted that part of your post, but I still have a copy. That is a crappy attitude to have toward Unraid customers, particularly a knowledgeable user who is willing to spend his time to help troubleshoot your product.

Again, huge thanks to bonienl!!! Reducing network MTU size solved the problem!

5 hours ago, BennTech said:

You deleted that part of your post, but I still have a copy. That is a crappy attitude to have toward Unraid customers, particularly a knowledgeable user who is willing to spend his time to help troubleshoot your product.

I deleted that part of my post because it was adversarial and we try our hardest to keep these forums exactly the opposite of that.

Again, huge thanks to bonienl!!! Reducing network MTU size solved the problem!

So did we then confirm this was a configuration problem, not a software bug?

Update:  Seriously asking and curious how your MTU setting would work previously but not now.

10 hours ago, BennTech said:

I didn't know should have been keeping records to prove other people had issues back when I spent days researching this back in October, but a quick search pulls up:

• "WonkoTheSane" posted in this thread starting on October 1, 2018 with the same NFS timeouts between TWO UNRAID SERVERS.
  • "manofcolumbia" posted in this thread starting on December 13, 2018 with the same SMB and NFS timeout issues.
  • "Oppaunke" posted in the Duplicati thread on October 27, 2018 with the exact same issue I have: Duplicati locks up during backup.
  • "jj_uk" posted in the Duplicati thread shortly thereafter about the same lockups writing to SMB via Unassigned Devices.
  • And there's me.

By the way, it's not just SMB, it's NFS as well, as WonkoTheSane, manofcolumbia, and I have all documented.

As far as I know these have been addressed.  There was a change in the default timeout on a CIFS mount that was shortened from the original default of 120 seconds.  I adjusted the mount timeout to 120 seconds and that should have taken care of the timeout messages in the log.  If anyone is having issues, please post a diagnostics so I can have a look.

9 hours ago, jonp said:

Update:  Seriously asking and curious how your MTU setting would work previously but not now.

This is getting a bit off-topic for Unassigned Devices, but here's what I've discovered.

• My motherboard has 2 built-in Realtek 8111C LAN controllers. I have these setup as a bond (802.3ad link aggregate), and I have bridging enabled.
  • I had set my "Desired MTU" in Unraid as 9000. However, the Realteks only support 6128 max (as evidenced by bonienl's find in the logs).
  • In 6.5.3, Unraid drops the invalid 9000 and sets the Realteks, bond, and bridge to the standard 1500.
  • In 6.6.x, Unraid sets the Realteks and bond to 1500, but sets the bridge to 9000.
  • If I set the Desired MTU to 6128, the Realteks, bond, and bridge are all set to 6128 and everything works in both 6.5.3 and 6.6.x.

So the problem is that if the Desired MTU is too large for the hardware, 6.6.x sets the bridge to that MTU regardless. Seems a Lime Tech fix for that is needed. Maybe also add a warning if the Desired MTU greater than the known hardware limit.

Unraid 6.5 and 6.6 behave exactly the same. Neither will automatically lower the MTU size. In fact the 'system' itself is unaware of the MTU size supported by the hardware, there is no way it can query the interface for that.

Using RealTek NICs with Linux has been a love-and-hate relation for a long time and rattles the history of Unraid. Too often new drivers of RealTek would break a perfect running system.

The "best" solution is to switch to Intel NICs and be done with it.

• Like 1

Hi. I have an external USB (3.0) hard drive (6GB WD Blue) connected to my unRAID server. When I turn it on, I have to format it. I did that too. I have formatted the disk in NTFS. If I connect the disk to another PC to copy data on it, the PC (Win7U OS) wants to format the disk again. I format them and I copy the data on it, then connect them again to the unRAID server, unRAID server wants to format the disk again! What am I doing wrong?? Please help! Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, lattigus said:

Hi. I have an external USB (3.0) hard drive (6GB WD Blue) connected to my unRAID server. When I turn it on, I have to format it. I did that too. I have formatted the disk in NTFS. If I connect the disk to another PC to copy data on it, the PC (Win7U OS) wants to format the disk again. I format them and I copy the data on it, then connect them again to the unRAID server, unRAID server wants to format the disk again! What am I doing wrong?? Please help! Thank you in advance.

I use NTFS with this plugin all the time. For simplicity, make sure you only have one partition.

Put it in Windows and use Disk Management to get it setup as a single volume NTFS disk, then you shouldn't have any problem mounting it in Unraid with Unassigned Devices.

Just wanted to hop in here and say I have 2 unraid servers connected together with unassigned devices.  I experience trouble when I reboot one server without unmounting the share via the second server.

Once i reboot server "unraid" while server "Jefflix" is still running I guess "jefflix" tries to connect to the "unraid" and it seems to crash unassigned devices. It will show unassigned devices as loading without ever kicking in.  Eventually it locks up the whole server and a hard reboot is the only solution. Right now my mover is "running" but not actually moving anything, presumably because of this slow lockup process.

This problem is super consistent. i just hard booted "jefflix" so of course now "unraid" unassigned devices is locked up.  Although the icon in the bottom tray show my two preclears are running. I can't see anything under the unassigned devices area.

shares are connected as "//JEFFLIX/Media" for example and //Unraid/media" the other direction.

Unraid 6.6.6, I believe the entirety of the 6.x I've had this problem.

I have them directly connected with mellanox 10gb cards and a DAC cable.

Apr 11 15:51:10 Jefflix nginx: 2019/04/11 15:51:10 [error] 10799#10799: *6055578 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.9, server: , request: "POST /webGui/include/Download.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "jefflix", referrer: "http://jefflix/Tools/Diagnostics"
Apr 11 15:57:38 Jefflix php-fpm[10740]: [WARNING] [pool www] server reached max_children setting (20), consider raising it

i tried to run diagnostics but that locked up as well.

Edited by munit85
  • trurl pinned this topic