Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

24 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Movies-A has an unclean file system and is being mounted read only because of that.

Jun  1 15:49:46 AnimNAS ntfs-3g[28329]: Mounted /dev/sdm2 (Read-Only, label "Movies-A", NTFS 3.1)
Jun  1 15:49:46 AnimNAS ntfs-3g[28329]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun  1 15:49:46 AnimNAS ntfs-3g[28329]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,ro,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdm2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun  1 15:49:46 AnimNAS ntfs-3g[28329]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun  1 15:49:46 AnimNAS unassigned.devices: Mount error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.)

You need to fix that before the file system will be mounted r/w.

Thank you! I'll have to wait until the pre-clear on another drive finishes as it's in the post-read stage and has about 4 hrs to go. As Movies-A is SATA attached and my motherboard isn't configured for hot-swap, I'd have to power down to move the drive back to a Windows box for the repairs.

After the disk being pre-cleared finishes, that might be moot anyhow as the new drive will be added to the UnRAID pool. Movies-A is the first disk to get migrated to the UnRAID pool, and after it's empty, it will be pre-cleared to be the next disk added.

Very much appreciate the work you've done on UD and your help. I will be donating to you when my next disability cheque comes in later this month, as well as buying my Pro license for UnRAID. Only in my 5th day of using my UnRAID trial and have to say, it's been great to work with. Far easier to configure Docker and VMs than FreeNAS ever has been, at least in my experience.

Thanks again!

Dale

Edited by AgentXXL
Clarification
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Hi, does anyone know if you can auto-mount just 1 partition from a disk?

Cheers,

Tim

If you click on the subscript '+' symbol beside the drive icon in the Unassigned Devices tab, you can unmount/mount/delete partitions. Just be careful with the delete option if you use your drive on another system that might require that partition, i.e. an EFI partition.

UDPartitionMgmt.jpg

Edited by AgentXXL
corrections to the image
1 hour ago, AgentXXL said:

If you click on the subscript '+' symbol beside the drive icon in the Unassigned Devices tab, you can unmount/mount/delete partitions. Just be careful with the delete option if you use your drive on another system that might require that partition, i.e. an EFI partition.

UDPartitionMgmt.jpg

Hi, thanks but I think you misunderstood me, I’ve done that and would like the 1 partition that I have mounted to auto re-mount on re-boot or array re-start, but not the other partitions?

cheers,

Tim

7 minutes ago, MothyTim said:

Hi, thanks but I think you misunderstood me, I’ve done that and would like the 1 partition that I have mounted to auto re-mount on re-boot or array re-start, but not the other partitions?

cheers,

Tim

My UD attached disks have mostly had valid but not needed partitions deleted. The exception are the 10TB drives like the one pictured above. As the partitions usually reserved for EFI are not valid, they are not mounted. That said, when you expand the disk layout by clicking on the subscript '+' symbol, each partition has it's own 'Auto-Mount' switch that can be enabled/disabled. As I have no disks with valid partitions like this left, I can't grab a screenshot to show you, but it should be in the same column as the 'Auto-Mount' switches for the disk itself, but only visible when you expand the disk view to see all partitions.

Hope that helps.

19 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

My UD attached disks have mostly had valid but not needed partitions deleted. The exception are the 10TB drives like the one pictured above. As the partitions usually reserved for EFI are not valid, they are not mounted. That said, when you expand the disk layout by clicking on the subscript '+' symbol, each partition has it's own 'Auto-Mount' switch that can be enabled/disabled. As I have no disks with valid partitions like this left, I can't grab a screenshot to show you, but it should be in the same column as the 'Auto-Mount' switches for the disk itself, but only visible when you expand the disk view to see all partitions.

Hope that helps.

Ok thanks, I don't see any switches for any of the partitions there are 5, what is a valid partition? The disk is a SSD with my Windows 10 vm on it and can also be booted into baremetal should the need arise! So the 4 partitions that I don't want to Auto-Mount are the EFI, Recovery, Reserved and Main Windows ones. The one that I want to mount is a 32GB ext4 partition for swap file!

Cheers,

Tim

1 hour ago, MothyTim said:

Ok thanks, I don't see any switches for any of the partitions there are 5, what is a valid partition? The disk is a SSD with my Windows 10 vm on it and can also be booted into baremetal should the need arise! So the 4 partitions that I don't want to Auto-Mount are the EFI, Recovery, Reserved and Main Windows ones. The one that I want to mount is a 32GB ext4 partition for swap file!

Cheers,

Tim

I thought that the switches appeared for valid (i.e. mountable) partitions but as I said earlier, I have deleted partitions like the EFI partitions off all my UD mounted disks. I'm only using UD for data disks, but might be doing something similar with my old Win10 SSD that used the same hardware that unRAID is now using. Only my 10TB drives still have one extra partition, but since it isn't formatted at all, it's not valid and can't be mounted.

If the switches for auto-mount aren't appearing when you expand the view, then perhaps I was wrong and only the 'Share' switches are visible. The current author of UD is @dlandon so he might have some suggestions for you (he'll get notified of this post because I just mentioned his username). I'm still a relative newbie to unRAID and UD, being only 16 days into my trial, but I've also learned a lot in that time, just not enough to help in this case. Hope @dlandon or others can help you.

Edited by AgentXXL
On 6/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, dlandon said:

Auto mount applies to the disk and not individual partitions.

Any possibility of adding auto-mount switches for individual partitions on a disk? Like @MothyTim, I'd like to use an existing SSD with a bare-metal install of Windows 10 Pro that was previously running on the same mb/cpu/ram hardware I'm now using for my unRAID build? It would be great to only mount specific partitions on that SSD rather than have UD mount them all.

1 hour ago, AgentXXL said:

Any possibility of adding auto-mount switches for individual partitions on a disk? Like @MothyTim, I'd like to use an existing SSD with a bare-metal install of Windows 10 Pro that was previously running on the same mb/cpu/ram hardware I'm now using for my unRAID build? It would be great to only mount specific partitions on that SSD rather than have UD mount them all.

The easiest way to achieve this is to not have the mounting handled by UD but have do it via a User Script set to run on array start.    For completeness you may want a complementary script to handle unmounting on array stopping.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The easiest way to achieve this is to not have the mounting handled by UD but have do it via a User Script set to run on array start.    For completeness you may want a complementary script to handle unmounting on array stopping.

I assume this means that I need auto-mount turned off for that drive in UD. And the 'User Script' is the script at the end of the line for each drive that UD supports?

22 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

I assume this means that I need auto-mount turned off for that drive in UD. And the 'User Script' is the script at the end of the line for each drive that UD supports?

Turn off the Automount in UD.

the scripts will be ones run via the User Scripts plugin (which is the first thing I normally install from the Apps tab).

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Interesting, I have that plug-in, where do I find such a script? :)

You create it yourself  it is called User Scripts for a reason :)    

As an example I have one that contains:

mkdir /mnt/disks/DJW_NVME
logger -tgo "Created /mnt/disks/DJW_NVME for VM storage"
mount /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-INTEL_SSDPEKNW020T8_BTNH90420CG32P0C-part1 /mnt/disks/DJW_NVME

to mount a SSD I use for VMs.     Note the use of the by-id way of identifying the drive so that it still works if the /dev/sdX type id changes for any reason.

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

Why is this so much of a concern?  Just ignore the partitions you aren't interested in.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

How are you using the drive as a VM?  If you're not using the extra partitions, delete them.

The drive is a bare metal install of Windows 10 that I use as my Win 10 VM. I did it this way as I was having out of memory problems and so wanted to be able to boot directly into windows, I've now solved the out of memory issue (turned out to be a dodgy SATA card!!) but would like to retain the ability to boot straight into Windows for the occasional time that I need all the horsepower the machine can provide! The partition that I want to mount at boot is for the swap file, this really helped with the issues I was having so want to keep it!

So will it cause me issues if I just leave the whole drive mounted?

Cheers,

Tim

2 minutes ago, MothyTim said:

The drive is a bare metal install of Windows 10 that I use as my Win 10 VM. I did it this way as I was having out of memory problems and so wanted to be able to boot directly into windows, I've now solved the out of memory issue (turned out to be a dodgy SATA card!!) but would like to retain the ability to boot straight into Windows for the occasional time that I need all the horsepower the machine can provide! The partition that I want to mount at boot is for the swap file, this really helped with the issues I was having so want to keep it!

So will it cause me issues if I just leave the whole drive mounted?

Cheers,

Tim

No.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Why is this so much of a concern?  Just ignore the partitions you aren't interested in.

It's to avoid accidentally modifying the files on those partitions, especially for the EFI partition. There's no need for it or the main OS partition to be visible to the unRAID OS, but the data partition can be used for transferring documents, pictures, etc. I intend more to use my existing Win10 SSD in bare-metal mode, but have watched the @SpaceInvaderOne video illustrating how to use it as either bare metal or a VM. Obviously it's a minor issue, but it would be a nice addition. But since I'm now aware of the User Script option, I'll use it. No worries.

When mounting the array, this is displayed at the bottom panel:

Warning: Use of undefined constant luksKeyfile - assumed 'luksKeyfile' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 584

Nothing serious, but should probably be updated soon :) 

Unraid 6.7.0 with current Unassigned plugin.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, awilderaid said:

I haven't touched either server since posting this and tried to get the issue to reoccur and upload diagnostics. Everything now seems to be working perfectly, no stuttering, Emby's transcoding buffer stays between 2 and 3 minutes, UD shows accurate size/used/free information. My thought was that maybe SMB or NFS was giving up, and UD might have been involved. In any case, hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does I'll upload diagnostics as soon as. Cheers!

Hi all, this is a followup to my original post here of UD "dropping out" and showing 0B with my mellanox connectx-2 NICs. It's continued over the past few weeks intermittently. I've attached diagnostics from 3 occasions, the most recent being today, each set being downloaded a minute or so after Emby (or Plex) started stuttering and UD showed 0B.

highgarden-diagnostics-20190612-0152.zip highgarden-diagnostics-20190612-0703.zip highgarden-diagnostics-20190619-1529.zip

• trurl pinned this topic