Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

38 minutes ago, mustava said:

Yes still same issue, even if i stop everything using the Disk / Array I still cant shutdown the server cleanly. Is there a way to restart the Unassigned Plugin?

There is really nothing to restart on UD.  UD is a GUI to manage devices outside the array.  Mounting and unmounting.  The issue is that UD is hanging on a command to query the disk for the disk status information.  Disk size, used space, temperature, open files, etc.  I’ve added time outs wherever I thought that the disk commands would hang.  It’s possible there are some commands I missed.  The issue is more with the disk than UD.  Please do as asked previously and post diagnostics so I can try to find the problem.

Your shutdown issue could be from the unassigned disk or other things.

if you have the preclear plugin installed, please remove it for diagnosing this issue.

Hi!

Just wanted to say thanks for this plugin. I am building my second storage server and this plugin saved my butt as I have several drives outside the array.

I am however an UnRaid noob as this is my first unraid install and have only been configuring for a day or so.

Question, Is it possible to have an unassigned device to show up in UnRaid share menu "included/excluded disks"? As far as I can see its only the array disks showing up?

I want to create an ISO share on an nvme drive (to speed up deployments as I have docker and vms on this nvme drive). 

I did a manually with mkdir/chown using terminal instead as a work around, but I guess it would be preferred to do the "supported" way to have it show up everywhere.

I'm guessing this has been answered multiple times and I have sift through some of the 128 pages here and google but can't seem to find a clear answer.

Anyway, sorry for noob question and thanks again.

Edited by SolidFyre
2 hours ago, SolidFyre said:

Is it possible to have an unassigned device to show up in UnRaid share menu "included/excluded disks"? As far as I can see its only the array disks showing up?

Unclear what you are trying to do. As mentioned no Unassigned Devices are ever included in the User Shares. That is just a consequence of how the User Shares work.

But any Unassigned Device can be shared on the network and that is probably done more often than not. Is that what you are really asking about, how to share an Unassigned Device on the network?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

All unassigned devices are always automatically excluded from the shares because they are outside the array

Sent from my NSA monitored device

44 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unclear what you are trying to do. As mentioned no Unassigned Devices are ever included in the User Shares. That is just a consequence of how the User Shares work.

But any Unassigned Device can be shared on the network and that is probably done more often than not. Is that what you are really asking about, how to share an Unassigned Device on the network?

Ah, how would I go about creating a shared folder on an unassigned device similarly to the way you create user shares in the array?

I can only find the share "switch" in the main tab, but that shares the whole device which is not what I want.

I only want to share a folder on/from the nvme called ISOs. Not sure if I am stupid now though.

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

AFAIK you would have to use unassigned devices to mount the drive, and then manually edit smb-extra.cfg on the flash drive to share the appropriate folder on it.

Yes, I thought of this too, but thought maybe there was a way of doing it without bringing the whole array offline.

On the main page for unassigned devices there is a button called "Add ISO File Share". This one requests an iso file according to pre-filled in text and only shows shares from the array, for some reason. Is there any way to have folders from the nvme to show up here? That would actually solve the problem.

The other button, "Add Remote SMB/NFS Share" only allows remote shares to be mounted, not local shares.

Maybe a feature request?

7 hours ago, SolidFyre said:

Yes, I thought of this too, but thought maybe there was a way of doing it without bringing the whole array offline.

On the main page for unassigned devices there is a button called "Add ISO File Share". This one requests an iso file according to pre-filled in text and only shows shares from the array, for some reason. Is there any way to have folders from the nvme to show up here? That would actually solve the problem.

The other button, "Add Remote SMB/NFS Share" only allows remote shares to be mounted, not local shares.

Maybe a feature request?

Set up an isos share on the array and move the UD isos folder to the array.

37 minutes ago, SolidFyre said:

I specifically want to have the share _on_ the nvme (for speed reasons), as I will spin up and destroy lots of VM's.

Since any ISO’s are read-only after initial creation I am surprised that the performance of an array drive is not sufficient.   Normally when creating a VM the iso speed is not the limiting factor.

if not then a workaround might be to set up a link inside the ISO’s share that points to the nvme.    That should make it show up at the GUI level I would think.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Since any ISO’s are read-only after initial creation I am surprised that the performance of an array drive is not sufficient.   Normally when creating a VM the iso speed is not the limiting factor.

if not then a workaround might be to set up a link inside the ISO’s share that points to the nvme.    That should make it show up at the GUI level I would think.

Sorry, but what do you mean by setting up a link? 😕

48 minutes ago, SolidFyre said:

Sorry, but what do you mean by setting up a link

Assum.ng you have a folder called 'isos' on the nvme drive then from the Unraid command line use a command of the form:

ln -s /mnt/disks/nvmename/isos /mnt/user/isos/nvme_isos

(where nvmename is what the nvme drive is called in the UD plugin) should result in what looks like a folder called 'nvme_isos' inside the 'isos' share that contains the contents of the 'isos' folder on the nvme drive and that you can get to via the GUI.   I have not actually tried this but it shows what I am thinking.

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Assum.ng you have a folder called 'isos' on the nvme drive then from the Unraid command line use a command of the form:

ln -s /mnt/disks/nvmename/isos /mnt/user/isos/nvme_isos

(where nvmename is what the nvme drive is called in the UD plugin) should result in what looks like a folder called 'nvme_isos' inside the 'isos' share that contains the contents of the 'isos' folder on the nvme drive and that you can get to via the GUI.   I have not actually tried this but it shows what I am thinking.

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get the chance :)

I just looked at the logging for the first time in quite a while and I'm being flooded by errors, about 3 every second:

Aug 27 23:31:24 NAS root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
I've seen in this thread that it was a security increase within unRAID's webUI, but that was resolved on 6.3 I believe.

Unassigned Devices is fully updated.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, joshbgosh10592 said:

I just looked at the logging for the first time in quite a while and I'm being flooded by errors, about 3 every second:

Aug 27 23:31:24 NAS root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
I've seen in this thread that it was a security increase within unRAID's webUI, but that was resolved on 6.3 I believe.

Unassigned Devices is fully updated.

Any ideas?

That is usually from leaving a tab open in your browser that was from before you rebooted your server.

10 hours ago, joshbgosh10592 said:

Any ideas?

8 hours ago, saarg said:

That is usually from leaving a tab open in your browser that was from before you rebooted your server.

As explained in the FAQ here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-545988

Lots of other useful things in the FAQ also in case you haven't seen it.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-554741

• 2 weeks later...

Having some issues with an NTFS drive that Im copying files from.  Unfortunately, I dont have write access and I cant figure out why.  The log states the disk contains an unclean file system, so Ive done what is recommended; unmount the drive and perform a file system check.  That doesnt show any errors that I can identify and looks to say things are ok.  Ive rebooted the server and that hasnt helped either.  

Diag attached for anyone willing to help out.  I am far from an advanced unraid user, so its entirely possible ive done something incorrectly.

Thanks

casterlyrock-diagnostics-20190907-1319.zip

2 hours ago, shoulderlean said:

Having some issues with an NTFS drive that Im copying files from.  Unfortunately, I dont have write access and I cant figure out why.  The log states the disk contains an unclean file system, so Ive done what is recommended; unmount the drive and perform a file system check.  That doesnt show any errors that I can identify and looks to say things are ok.  Ive rebooted the server and that hasnt helped either.  

Diag attached for anyone willing to help out.  I am far from an advanced unraid user, so its entirely possible ive done something incorrectly.

Thanks

casterlyrock-diagnostics-20190907-1319.zip 92.64 kB · 1 download

Your issue is stated in the log.  Read the whole log entry.

Sep  7 12:37:50 CasterlyRock unassigned.devices: Mount error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

The Windows system is hibernated on the disk, or the disk is set for fast restart.  You cannot write to the disk with it in this condition.  Windows must be shut down completely before you can write to the disk.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Your issue is stated in the log.  Read the whole log entry.

Sep  7 12:37:50 CasterlyRock unassigned.devices: Mount error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

The Windows system is hibernated on the disk, or the disk is set for fast restart.  You cannot write to the disk with it in this condition.  Windows must be shut down completely before you can write to the disk.

But....how can i fix that.  If its referring the a VM, the windows VM is shut down.  Otherwise, the disk is physically attached via a hotswap sata port on my unraid machine.  It cant be referring to the Windows machine Im accessing it from, as thats been rebooted....even still, using the Krusader docker I still cant write to the disk.

Edit 1:

Just to add; its been pulled from another machine, but that machine was 100% shutdown via windows before i pulled the drive.

Edit 2: 

Ok, upon some reading online it appears that with 'fast boot' enabled in win10, it doesnt always shut down completely.  Rather than putting the drive back, shutting down 'properly' and then removing again, Im just going to put the drive back into the win10 box and copy the files over the network to the array before i screw something up even further.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wouldve never figured it out on my own.

Edited by shoulderlean

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the UnRaid community and looking for some guidance here. I rebuilt an old gaming system into Unraid system.

I have a 2TB WD Green drive from my Windows 10 Gaming system that I inserted in an external HDD enclosure, connected to UnRaid via usb3. In UnRaid I have the ability to mount the drive and copy my data to the array like I want to. 

I then have a 3TB WD Black from that same Windows 10 gaming system, plug that into the same external enclosure and the only option I get is to Format it. I'm trying to find some kind of errors or something that I can research on but I don't see anything. Can anyone point me in the direction why one drive is mountable and the other is not?

Both formatted NTFS.

Both work if i plug usb into my windows laptop. 

Thanks. 

3TB_NotWorking.jpg

2TB_Working.jpg

• trurl pinned this topic