Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

9 minutes ago, Toobie said:

Question, I added two usb drives as sdb & sdk. NTFS, automount.

Is there a possebility to see this disks in krusader or at least use them in plex?

I can "only" access this shares on my windows machine.

The point is, I have movies on one of these drives and wanted to add this in plex.

Of course, you just have to map them in the container for each of your dockers that you want to have access.

4 hours ago, Toobie said:

I'm able to list the files in Plex but the won't start playing.

And that would seem to indicate that the plex library (appdata) is working, but it can't find the media.

If you don't use slave mode, then the docker service won't be able to see the unassigned device until you restart the service.

And that would seem to indicate that the plex library (appdata) is working, but it can't find the media.

If you don't use slave mode, then the docker service won't be able to see the unassigned device until you restart the service.
Ok, but I mounted the drive in slave mode as written above.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk (paid twice for vip, thx Tapatalk)

3 minutes ago, Toobie said:

Ok, but I mounted the drive in slave mode as written above.

Ok, that's the first time you said you actually did that.

Since this is a new mapping, I am a little unclear what you mean by this:

4 hours ago, Toobie said:

I'm able to list the files in Plex

Did you add them to the library and let it scan for the new media?

Did you add them to the library and let it scan for the new media?
Yes, sorry.

The device is showing up in Plex.
I could add the movies on this device into Plex, so I can see that they are listed in their categories.

But I cannot start one of those movie's. It's just giving me a black screen and the time remains at 0:00.

I recently also restarted the server as the disk was not showing under unassigned device's under the main tab.

But the movies are still not playable.

Attached are they as RW/Slave.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk (paid twice for vip, thx Tapatalk)

On 9/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, trurl said:

Sounds like maybe a hardware problem could be the root of your other problem. Is the USB drive going to sleep or something like that?

Sorry for the false alarm.

It turned out, that all the files on this disk were corrupt. The SMART values of the disk were fine.

New files which I copied to this disk are playing correctly.

I have no idea how this could happen (2TB of movies are trash now) but it is so..

So I just have to reorganize these files.

Edited by Toobie

I am having an issue stemming back to March when I commented in this thread and it doesn't seem to have changed.

I have two Unraid systems running and I use UD to share their shares with each other. If one goes down the other hangs and cannot be recovered.

I started unmounting when I knew I had to take one down but recently every once and a while, I don't know if it's my network, but one will hang without the other going down. 

So my issue here is this. How do we, or I stop this? Is there any way to tell UD that if after 5 attempts to stop looking for the missing drive and either dismount or send an error only?

The worst part is I can't get diagnostics when it's in this death loop. I can only access Syslog so I've simulated the issue and posted the syslog. I've also posted the diagnostics I got from the other server, I noticed a bunch of CIFS errors so why not post both. BUT the SysLog is whats happening when its hanging.

tower-syslog-20190925-1946.zip diagnostics-20190925-1002.zip

14 hours ago, Wavey said:

I am having an issue stemming back to March when I commented in this thread and it doesn't seem to have changed.

I have two Unraid systems running and I use UD to share their shares with each other. If one goes down the other hangs and cannot be recovered.

I started unmounting when I knew I had to take one down but recently every once and a while, I don't know if it's my network, but one will hang without the other going down. 

So my issue here is this. How do we, or I stop this? Is there any way to tell UD that if after 5 attempts to stop looking for the missing drive and either dismount or send an error only?

The worst part is I can't get diagnostics when it's in this death loop. I can only access Syslog so I've simulated the issue and posted the syslog. I've also posted the diagnostics I got from the other server, I noticed a bunch of CIFS errors so why not post both. BUT the SysLog is whats happening when its hanging.

tower-syslog-20190925-1946.zip 33.69 kB · 1 download diagnostics-20190925-1002.zip 240.52 kB · 1 download

Remove the preclear plugin to start.

Are you passing any of the UD mounts to a docker container?  If so they should be set to an access mode of Slave.

But, reason why it's stuck trying to stop the array is that one of the containers got stuck in a zombie mode and won't stop, which is leaving the system unable to unmount the cache drive.  Could be related to the above.  Easiest to simply restart the system. 

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

Are you passing any of the UD mounts to a docker container?  If so they should be set to an access mode of Slave.

But, reason why it's stuck trying to stop the array is that one of the containers got stuck in a zombie mode and won't stop, which is leaving the system unable to unmount the cache drive.  Could be related to the above.  Easiest to simply restart the system. 

All are slaves, you actually helped me with that a few months ago.

Yeah it has to be related to UD, not the container. Both systems can easily start and stop and reboot as long as the other system is running or you unmount all shares in UD then press stop. Once it hangs I cant reboot unless i use putty and tell it powerdown -r twice. Then when it comes back it says I have to do a parity check since the shut down was t graceful.

Basically if i only had one Unraid running this wouldn't be a problem. Am I in a unique situation? I’d think others have more than one unraid that have mounted shares of each other.

8 minutes ago, Wavey said:

All are slaves, you actually helped me with that a few months ago.

Yeah it has to be related to UD, not the container. Both systems can easily start and stop and reboot as long as the other system is running or you unmount all shares in UD then press stop. Once it hangs I cant reboot unless i use putty and tell it powerdown -r twice. Then when it comes back it says I have to do a parity check since the shut down was t graceful.

Basically if i only had one Unraid running this wouldn't be a problem. Am I in a unique situation? I’d think others have more than one unraid that have mounted shares of each other.

I see several issues you need to look into:

Sep 24 19:45:56 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: CIFS VFS: Autodisabling the use of server inode numbers on \\WORKHORSE\SABnzbd. This server doesn't seem to support them properly. Hardlinks will not be recognized on this mount. Consider mounting with the "noserverino" option to silence this message.
Sep 25 01:55:14 MIKESDESKTOP shfs: cache disk full
Sep 25 07:33:16 MIKESDESKTOP move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat: /mnt/cache/Media/Television/The Good Doctor/Season 03/The Good Doctor - s3e01 - Disaster [WEBDL-1080p] [h264 AC3] [ 5.1 Audio] [8bit].mkv
Sep 25 08:01:07 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Sep 25 08:01:07 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13

This last one would imply incorrect credentials.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

I'd say its the container.  (Or the set up).  

Why not have everything set to auto mount?  I ran UD SMB mounts to containers no problems for years.

That’s the crazy part is so did I. UD has been my go to for years then i Upgraded to 6.6.7 and this started happening. Tried upgrading to 6.7.2 and it still did it.

Plex is the main use of UD shares so I’ll kill it first and see what happens.

I turned off Auto Mount because I wanted to make sure both systems were up. Maybe that could resolve it? Ill turn it back on and see what happens.

• trurl pinned this topic