Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

I see several issues you need to look into:

Sep 24 19:45:56 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: CIFS VFS: Autodisabling the use of server inode numbers on \\WORKHORSE\SABnzbd. This server doesn't seem to support them properly. Hardlinks will not be recognized on this mount. Consider mounting with the "noserverino" option to silence this message.

Sep 25 01:55:14 MIKESDESKTOP shfs: cache disk full

Sep 25 07:33:16 MIKESDESKTOP move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat: /mnt/cache/Media/Television/The Good Doctor/Season 03/The Good Doctor - s3e01 - Disaster [WEBDL-1080p] [h264 AC3] [ 5.1 Audio] [8bit].mkv

Sep 25 08:01:07 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Sep 25 08:01:07 MIKESDESKTOP kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13

This last one would imply incorrect credentials.

1. Looks like an issue with SMB vs NSF from a forum post on ubuntu

2. The mnt/cache situation seems to happen if I'm trying to access a file that's being moved by mover

3. There was an old drive set to auto connect so I changed it, thanks

So anything else you can think of? Has anyone ever come to you with this problem other than me?

@dlandon hey I got rid of the SMB share and made it an NFS share, LIKE MAGIC IT WORKS NOW!

Thanks to you and @Squid for always getting back to me. I'm used to waiting 3-4 days and multiple bumps to actually get a response. Switching my shares to NFS and moving on. I'll come harass you if anything changes.

Edited by Wavey
On 7/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, ghost82 said:

Hi all, I want to report a problem I have with unraid 6.7.2 and the latest version of the plugin available as of today.

I have 3 disks in unassigned devices and I'd want to be able to local mount 2 of them to be able to share them in my vm.

Both disks are western digital, one of 2TB (sdc), the second one of 6TB (sde), both are ntfs.

I have no problem with the 2TB disk, I can mount and share.

In unraid webGui the mount button is greyed out for the 6TB disk, so I cannot mount it through the plugin.

What I did:

Through firefox "inspect element" I tried to force the button to be active, by deleting in the html code disabled="": the button is now enabled, by clicking the mount button the disk is not mounted (obviously), but i have one more row in the log file: no filesystem detected.

In fact, in the fs column in the webGUI there's no ntfs for this disk.

The disk seems to be ok, it can be accessible in windows 10, no errors when checked.

Strange thing is that it is mounted through unraid if i mount the disk in the terminal with this command (mount the disk after creating the folder in /mnt/disks):

mkdir /mnt/disks/6TB
/sbin/mount -t ntfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sde1' '/mnt/disks/6TB'

The disk is mounted and through the webGUI I can share it (however the fs column for this disk remains empty).

I can also unmount the disk through the webGUI by clicking on the unmount button.

I cannot track why the filesystem of this disk is not recognised by the plugin.

Any idea?

Thanks

Finally I solved the problem and now the drive can be mounted through the webGUI!

Here the steps I performed to fix it:

Since the problem was that the filesystem was not detected with the unassigned devices tools I investigated further: partition was on /dev/sde1

The command 'blkid /dev/sde1' returned nothing; command 'lsblk -f' returned nothing for sde->sde1

However, after running command 'blkid -p /dev/sde1' I received: "blkid: /dev/sde1: ambivalent result (probably more filesystems on the device, use wipefs(8) to see more details)"

Command 'wipefs /dev/sde1' returned:

sde1   0x438  ext3 8d92274b-35df-4b39-86d3-9ac41e13bc42
sde1   0x3    ntfs 962CBD772CBD52CB                     Volume

ext3????

So, finally 'wipefs -o 0x438 /dev/sde1' returned: /dev/sde1: 2 bytes were erased at offset 0x00000438 (ext3): 53 ef

With a single filesystem now the drive works and is mountable, moreover data on the ntfs partition are ok.

Edited by ghost82

Searched around the forums and google, but I couldn't find anything similar to my problem, I probably just didn't know how to word it. Could be this plugin, Unraid itself or just a HW issue.

• Situation: I have a Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4-bay USB/eSATA external enclosure that I use via USB for temporary connection of random HDDs and utilize the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount/share them as required.

• Problem: What's occurring is that if I connect 2 drives of the same model (5TB WD Reds currently), they show up separately, but are treated as the same drive. For instance, they display the same Identification, but different mount point (SDA vs SDP). Additionally, I can mount one of the drives succefully, but attempting to mount the second drive results in nothing happening. I've attached a screenshot of my UAD panel.

I'm currently not sure if this happens with differing capacities but similar "models" (WD Red 2TB vs 4TB), but I have verified using dissimilar disks works as expected. Lmk what extra info would be helpful, and thanks in advance!

Unassigned Devices error.PNG

10 minutes ago, WaffleClap said:

they show up separately, but are treated as the same drive

It looks like your enclosure backplane is presenting identical drives to unRAID with the same serial number/disk ID.  unRAID tracks drives by serial number/disk ID, not by sdX number, SATA port, drive bay, or anything else.  When unRAID sees the same serial number/Disk ID, it cannot distinguish between the two disks. 

See this thread for a discussion of similar issues.

AFAIK, there is no resolution unfortunately.  The enclosure is making the disks appear to unRAID to be the same drive.

So I am trying to mount a share from my QNAP and I keep getting this error when trying to mount it:

Oct 9 10:12:07 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '10.1.10.63://Public' failed. Error message: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.1.10.63://Public

the folder is a public folder, NFS access is turned on, and that folder has NFS access, and guest account is turned of for that folder.

Thoughts?

I have a second Unraid server that I'm trying to let my first Unraid server access using a SMB share through unassigned devices but I can't get the share to mount.  I searched through this forum but if this has been addressed already I didn't see it.  Please let me know if you need more info, I'm attaching a screen shot of the settings I'm trying to use.

If there's another way to let my docker images on my first server see shares on my second server that makes more sense then please let me know about that too.

SMB share.png

9 hours ago, romain said:

I have a second Unraid server that I'm trying to let my first Unraid server access using a SMB share through unassigned devices but I can't get the share to mount.  I searched through this forum but if this has been addressed already I didn't see it.  Please let me know if you need more info, I'm attaching a screen shot of the settings I'm trying to use.

If there's another way to let my docker images on my first server see shares on my second server that makes more sense then please let me know about that too.

SMB share.png

Post diagnostics so we can help you.

39 minutes ago, romain said:

Here is the zip file.

I really appreciate you two taking the time to respond and check it out

vault-diagnostics-20191012-1652.zip 321 kB · 0 downloads

First and foremost, looks like you've got bad connections to the drives.  continual resets and read errors on drive 6

Oct 11 18:48:43 Vault unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.10.21/Audio' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied

Are you sure you're using the correct credentials?  Are there any very weird characters in the password?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

First and foremost, looks like you've got bad connections to the drives.  continual resets and read errors on drive 6

Oct 11 18:48:43 Vault unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.10.21/Audio' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied

Are you sure you're using the correct credentials?  Are there any very weird characters in the password?

Watch for special characters in the user and password.

29 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Watch for special characters in the user and password.

Well my "Media - TV Shows" was the share I wanted to bring in and that wasn't working, but I tried my "Audio" share and that worked fine.  The "Audio" share and the "Media - TV Shows" share had different SMB Security Settings so I made the "Media - TV Shows" settings match the "Audio" share settings but it still wouldn't connect, so I ended up changing the share name from "Media - TV Shows" to "TV" and now it connects just fine - so I think that it was the dash in the share name that might have been giving me the problems.

This second server was a mishmash of old drives that are really not in great condition but it's got a dual parity and for what it's being used for it's really not a big deal if I lose anything.  I'm still going to remove drive 6 though because it's really at the very end of its life.

Thanks Squid and dlandon for looking into my diagnostics and giving me some suggestions.

6.8.0 rc3 may have changed functionality that could be impacting Unassigned Drives. Specifically I have a drive outside of the array I mount using Unassigned Drives that is encrypted that fails to mount either manually or via AutoMount when I upgrade to 6.8.0 rc1. I can SSH into the array and display contents of all drives except the single Unassigned Drive I use for containers and VMs.

Here's a link to the post in the prerelease area. Not clear yet where the issue lies but this worked fine in at least two previous releases and it seems behavior changed with the new 6.8 v1 release candidate.

Edit: D'oh! There's a statement in the release notes that mentions they no longer save the decryption key to a file and that an API has been provided to allow Unassigned Drives to continue to function. Seems this is intentional, intended, and my use case was anticipated!

Pretty please may I volunteer to test should that be needed assuming Unassigned Drives is updated? :D 

Edited by BLKMGK
D'oh!
2 hours ago, dlandon said:

It has been updated to work with the api.  Post your diagnostics so I can take a look.

Hopefully this has what you need! I'm currently running a link file in my Go so I'd have to break it to recreate but this isn't a long term fix obv. If you need me to do anything say the word and I'll work it as quick as I can to help out if there's an issue.

minion-diagnostics-20191014-0132.zip

Edited by BLKMGK
6 hours ago, BLKMGK said:

Hopefully this has what you need! I'm currently running a link file in my Go so I'd have to break it to recreate but this isn't a long term fix obv. If you need me to do anything say the word and I'll work it as quick as I can to help out if there's an issue.

minion-diagnostics-20191014-0132.zip 173.86 kB · 1 download

You've already posted this as a 6.8 bug.  Double posting doesn't get you an answer any faster and adds confusion.  We will work on this issue there, not here.

16 hours ago, dlandon said:

You've already posted this as a 6.8 bug.  Double posting doesn't get you an answer any faster and adds confusion.  We will work on this issue there, not here.

I posted it there as it appeared to be a bug in 6.8, I had missed the change in the release notes and it was pointed out. At that point I had assumed it was the plug-in not having been updated and thus asked here. I will follow this there if you would prefer but I wasn't attempting to seek solution in multiple places at once.

I'm getting some errors in my log regarding remote NFS shares since upgrading the host server to 6.8.

Oct 21 02:48:56 Unraid2 unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.227' is not responding to a ping and appears to be off-line.
Oct 21 02:53:20 Unraid2 unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.227' is not responding to a ping and appears to be off-line.

The errors are in the logs of the computer where the remote shares are mounted. I've attached diags as well. Also attached a screenshot showing the green light and capacity changing on the remote share. I can wait a few minutes and refresh the GUI, and sometimes it will be back to normal, or maybe a different share will be grayed out. So I'm not sure if this is a 6.8 or a UD problem.

Thanks.

VG1jlybm8X.png

unraid2-diagnostics-20191021-0813.zip

Edited by drawmonster

On the one hand this is not an important request, but on the other I have to at least mention it.

Was there a reason the order an placement of information doesn't line up with the elements from the other 3 device types? I recognize there are more items you need to show for unassigned devices, but it seems that it would look slick (Honestly I think it already works pretty slick) if the ones that matched... matched up as it were.

Thanks for the great plugin.

15 hours ago, drawmonster said:

I'm getting some errors in my log regarding remote NFS shares since upgrading the host server to 6.8.

Oct 21 02:48:56 Unraid2 unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.227' is not responding to a ping and appears to be off-line.
Oct 21 02:53:20 Unraid2 unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.227' is not responding to a ping and appears to be off-line.

The errors are in the logs of the computer where the remote shares are mounted. I've attached diags as well. Also attached a screenshot showing the green light and capacity changing on the remote share. I can wait a few minutes and refresh the GUI, and sometimes it will be back to normal, or maybe a different share will be grayed out. So I'm not sure if this is a 6.8 or a UD problem.

Thanks.

VG1jlybm8X.png

unraid2-diagnostics-20191021-0813.zip 94.46 kB · 0 downloads

UD checks the remote share by pinging it.  When the remote share is not responding, it is usually from a network issue.

You are running Unaid 6.7.2.

58 minutes ago, Arbadacarba said:

On the one hand this is not an important request, but on the other I have to at least mention it.

Was there a reason the order an placement of information doesn't line up with the elements from the other 3 device types? I recognize there are more items you need to show for unassigned devices, but it seems that it would look slick (Honestly I think it already works pretty slick) if the ones that matched... matched up as it were.

Thanks for the great plugin.

Each device section has different information and the fields are of differing lengths.  There is not enough display real estate to line up everything and have enough room for all the different fields and field lengths.

• Like 1
  • trurl pinned this topic