Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

52 minutes ago, Haldanite said:

This is what I see:

Nov 13 15:33:00 UNRAIDBackup kernel: CIFS VFS: Server HOMESERVER has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

This is generally a network issue, but can also be from the remote server going off-line.

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

This is what I see:

Nov 13 15:33:00 UNRAIDBackup kernel: CIFS VFS: Server HOMESERVER has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

This is generally a network issue, but can also be from the remote server going off-line.

It's really odd though.  Both boxes are currently sitting right next to each other while I'm getting the backup box ready.  They are both on the same network switch and I've had no issue copying 11.5 TB of data from the primary server over to the backup server over the network.

I've also noticed that once I try to connect to one of the mappings and it fails I have a very hard time unmounting the drive.  It gets to the point that in some cases the only option is to hard reboot the server since none of the shutdown commands actually work to shut it down.

1 minute ago, Haldanite said:

It's really odd though.  Both boxes are currently sitting right next to each other while I'm getting the backup box ready.  They are both on the same network switch and I've had no issue copying 11.5 TB of data from the primary server over to the backup server over the network.

I've also noticed that once I try to connect to one of the mappings and it fails I have a very hard time unmounting the drive.  It gets to the point that in some cases the only option is to hard reboot the server since none of the shutdown commands actually work to shut it down.

Are you using Jumbo frames in your network?

Just now, dlandon said:

Are you using Jumbo frames in your network?

I've tried to configure the servers to do this, but not entirely sure if it is working since it was something I was just trying out.  Both servers are setup with the NIC having desired MTU at 9000.  Do you think I should drop this back down?

Edit:  Both are running with Gigabit NIC's and I'm using an old enterprise switch that we retired at work.  Catalyst 2960-S

Edited by Haldanite
42 minutes ago, Haldanite said:

I've tried to configure the servers to do this, but not entirely sure if it is working since it was something I was just trying out.  Both servers are setup with the NIC having desired MTU at 9000.  Do you think I should drop this back down?

Edit:  Both are running with Gigabit NIC's and I'm using an old enterprise switch that we retired at work.  Catalyst 2960-S

Don't use Jumbo frames.  Keep MTU at the recommended default - generally about 1400 to 1500.

This is probably causing your issues with SMB mounts.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Don't use Jumbo frames.  Keep MTU at the recommended default - generally about 1400 to 1500.

This is probably causing your issues with SMB mounts.

Actually, you got me thinking and I went back in to the switch and found that when I setup Jumbo frames I must not have finished the configuration.  I set it again and rebooted the switch and I think I'm good to go now.  I've mapped a few other shares and so far so good.  It seems to be working both directions now.  Thanks a ton!

Edited by Haldanite

Hi. Very Green user here. Trying to mount a folder (within an Emby Docker container) from an NTFS drive that is seen by UD. The Emby container sees the device under /mnt/disks/devicename, but no folders are showing up when that device is selected. The folders do show up when I use a remote windows explorer session. What might I be doing wrong, or not doing?

Thanks,

Bobby

24 minutes ago, BobbyDing said:

Hi. Very Green user here. Trying to mount a folder (within an Emby Docker container) from an NTFS drive that is seen by UD. The Emby container sees the device under /mnt/disks/devicename, but no folders are showing up when that device is selected. The folders do show up when I use a remote windows explorer session. What might I be doing wrong, or not doing?

What exactly is the volume mapping you are using with the container?

3 hours ago, BobbyDing said:

Thank you for the fast response. I found just after I had posted that I needed to stop and re start Docker. It is now seeing the partition and folders. Again, thank you!

Bobby

Did you make sure that you used one of the Slave access modes when setting up the mapping?   If not that might explain why you had to stop/restart docker.   It is always recommended to use a Slave mode when mapping to an UD path.

Edited by itimpi
9 hours ago, BobbyDing said:

Thank you for the fast response. I found just after I had posted that I needed to stop and re start Docker. It is now seeing the partition and folders. Again, thank you!

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Did you make sure that you used one of the Slave access modes when setting up the mapping?   If not that might explain why you had to stop/restart docker.   It is always recommended to use a Slave mode when mapping to an UD path.

Dockers can only see drives that are already mounted when the docker engine starts, UNLESS you use the slave mode in your mapping. So unless you have it setup that way you can expect the problem to continue to occur whenever you restart.

I have using Unassigned Devices mapped a network drive I have on my Synology NAS. Since then, rootfs is getting full causing the server (or at least the unRAID GUI) to not work properly. The mapped disk got mounted under /mnt/disks/ and this would be located in rootfs. Have I missed some setting or how should this be solved?

10 minutes ago, patlar said:

I have using Unassigned Devices mapped a network drive I have on my Synology NAS. Since then, rootfs is getting full causing the server (or at least the unRAID GUI) to not work properly. The mapped disk got mounted under /mnt/disks/ and this would be located in rootfs. Have I missed some setting or how should this be solved?

UD does not store anything significant in the rootfs.  Post your diagnostics.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, patlar said:

What can happen is if you have something that is writing to /mnt/disks/whatever, but the disk whatever isn't actually mounted, then those writes would be to RAM.

Mustava asked a VERY valid question that was never responded to...

What does it take to either Restart or Terminate unAssigned Devices?  (This plug-in can HANG the system!)  As if that isn't bad enough, the end result is a COLD REBOOT with resultant unclean shutdown and a parity check (for HOURS) upon restarting.

CANNOT Stop the unRaid array or use Shutdown or Reboot - TOTALLY UNRESPONSIVE DUE TO UNASSIGNED DEVICES BEING HUNG!

(Indicated by the 'wavy lines' running perpetually in the "unAssigned Devices section without ever resolving - EVERYTHING else still works; unRaid, Dockers, etc.  Just NO unAssigned Devices)

Scenario starts when one of the unAssigned Devices has an issue; i.e. Had a USB drive connected and shared on secondary system. It stopped running (for whatever reason) and the SMB share to it from the 'primary' system stopped being operational, CAUSING unAssigned Devices to HANG (revealed upon navigating to the unRaid Main page to inspect the device, but unAssigned Devices would no longer respond) AND as mentioned, could not stop the array, reboot, or shutdown the system.  Not without have to "pull the plug" altogether... NOT A GOOD SCENARIO.

So, what does it take to terminate or restart the program (similar to restarting a Docker app) OR avoid unAssigned Devices from hanging in the first place?

• trurl pinned this topic