Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

19 minutes ago, jtenman said:

Yes, it's an ssd.

I made a change to add discard to disk mounts.  Because it's an SSD, UD added the discard.  Obviously reiserfs doesn't support the discard.  I can fix that.  I guess this begs the question of why use reiserfs on an SSD in the first place?  Wouldn't XFS or BTRFS be a better choice?

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I made a change to add discard to disk mounts.  Because it's an SSD, UD added the discard.  Obviously reiserfs doesn't support the discard.  I can fix that.  I guess this begs the question of why use reiserfs on an SSD in the first place?  Wouldn't XFS or BTRFS be a better choice?

I don't know anything about file systems really - I set that up a few years back and have just been using it that way. I don't recall specifically choosing reiserfs. They probably are better choices, but I haven't had any issues with it as it is, so haven't looked into them.

Just now, jtenman said:

I don't know anything about file systems really - I set that up a few years back and have just been using it that way. I don't recall specifically choosing reiserfs. They probably are better choices, but I haven't had any issues with it as it is, so haven't looked into them.

Reiserfs is a deprecated file system and I don't think it supports SSDs like the more modern file systems.  You should probably consider moving to XFS or BTRFS.

I have 2 questions about unassigned devices:

1. Whenever Sabnzbd downloads any new file I need to do 

$ chmod -R 777 /mnt/disks/2TB/Downloads

So I can rename and move the files around. 

Everything else seems fine, is there a way to avoid that?

2. Emby uses real time monitoring to fix subtitles, cover art and nfo metadata about episodes that are downloaded. 

It works for everything else on unraid except for my drive that is Unassigned. Everytime something new is there I have to ask emby to look for new content. 

Is there a solution to this?

Edited by TheFreemancer
1 hour ago, TheFreemancer said:

1. Whenever Sabnzbd downloads any new file I need to do 

$ chmod -R 777 /mnt/disks/2TB/Downloads

So I can rename and move the files around. 

Not an issue with UD, but an issue with SAB.  Does it not have any options to set the permissions on downloaded files?

I have some unassigned drives set in a btrfs pool mounted as a share. Has been working perfectly until I applied the recent updates at which point the drives will no longer auto mount or manual mount through the ui.

This is the log error I get when attempting to mount with plugin:

Server kernel: BTRFS error (device sdj1): open_ctree failed
Server unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/btrfspool' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!
Server unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: command timed out
Server unassigned.devices: Partition 'DISK' could not be mounted...

Mounting works as normal when done through terminal using commands:

mkdir /mnt/disks/btrfspool

/sbin/mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/btrfspool

I assume this is due to the changes made around update "2019.11.29a" where timeout was added?

Is it possible to change the timeout or do a check for btrfs pools and extend the timeout so auto mount works again?

Is there a fix that I can manually apply to get it working again the same way as before until an update comes out?

3 hours ago, Iormangund said:

I have some unassigned drives set in a btrfs pool mounted as a share. Has been working perfectly until I applied the recent updates at which point the drives will no longer auto mount or manual mount through the ui.

This is the log error I get when attempting to mount with plugin:

Server kernel: BTRFS error (device sdj1): open_ctree failed
Server unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/btrfspool' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!
Server unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: command timed out
Server unassigned.devices: Partition 'DISK' could not be mounted...

Mounting works as normal when done through terminal using commands:

mkdir /mnt/disks/btrfspool

/sbin/mount -t btrfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/btrfspool

I assume this is due to the changes made around update "2019.11.29a" where timeout was added?

Is it possible to change the timeout or do a check for btrfs pools and extend the timeout so auto mount works again?

Is there a fix that I can manually apply to get it working again the same way as before until an update comes out?

Fixed in latest update.

• Thanks 1

Firefox update is what was broken, not unRAID or this plugin. No idea why starting w/o plugins worked, but there you go.

Seems that the recent update is breaking noVNC functionality on my installation. Upgraded to rc9, and then upgraded UD to most recent build, rebooting server after after each upgrade. I'm getting the following error whenever I try to connect to a VM using noVNC. I can SSH into those VMs just fine, and when booting into the server with no plugins enabled and VNC works just fine. I then uninstalled just UD and got the same result.

noVNC encountered an error:

TypeError: UI.rfb.addEventListener is not a function
https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:1022:16

connect@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:1022:16
start@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:108:16
initSettings@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/webutil.js:122:22
load@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:56:17
prime@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:47:16
@https://****************************************.unraid.net/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/novnc/app/ui.js:1666:8

Here's a code snippet of UI.rfb in /usr/local/emhttp

UI.updateVisualState('connecting');

let url;

url = UI.getSetting('encrypt') ? 'wss' : 'ws';

url += '://' + host;
        if (port) {
            url += ':' + port;
        }
        url += '/' + path;

UI.rfb = new RFB(document.getElementById('noVNC_container'), url,
                         { shared: UI.getSetting('shared'),
                           repeaterID: UI.getSetting('repeaterID'),
                           credentials: { password: password },
                          //the line under this comment is line 1022 (referenced by the noVNC error)
                           wsProtocols: ['binary'] });
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("connect", UI.connectFinished);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("disconnect", UI.disconnectFinished);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("credentialsrequired", UI.credentials);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("securityfailure", UI.securityFailed);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("capabilities", UI.updatePowerButton);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("clipboard", UI.clipboardReceive);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("bell", UI.bell);
        UI.rfb.addEventListener("desktopname", UI.updateDesktopName);
        UI.rfb.clipViewport = UI.getSetting('view_clip');
        UI.rfb.scaleViewport = UI.getSetting('resize') === 'scale';
        UI.rfb.resizeSession = UI.getSetting('resize') === 'remote';
        UI.rfb.showDotCursor = UI.getSetting('show_dot');

UI.updateViewOnly(); // requires UI.rfb
    },

disconnect() {
        UI.closeAllPanels();
        UI.rfb.disconnect();

UI.connected = false;

// Disable automatic reconnecting
        UI.inhibit_reconnect = true;

UI.updateVisualState('disconnecting');

No idea what's happening or if it's even something intrinsic to UD vs 6.8-rc9 but figured I'd start here. Thanks!

gI2xmkQlpg.png

Edited by dexxy
solved issue
19 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Dynamix trim plugin will trim all trim supporting filesystems, you can also use:

fstrim -v /mnt/disks/ud_path

This is what I get when I try to run that against the disk:

root@servername:~# fstrim -v /mnt/disks/1TB-SSD-Games
fstrim: /mnt/disks/1TB-SSD-Games: the discard operation is not supported

4 hours ago, aidenpryde said:

root@servername:~# fstrim -v /mnt/disks/1TB-SSD-Games
fstrim: /mnt/disks/1TB-SSD-Games: the discard operation is not supported

Is this SSD connected to the LSI? Does it support deterministic trim? Like mentioned LSI can't trim without deterministic trim support.

Also note that flash based unassigned xfs devices are mounted with the discard option, so as long as they are on a controller with trim support there's no need to manually issues discards, though using the discard mount option results in trimming right after any delete operation might have a negative impact on performance.

16 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Is this SSD connected to the LSI? Does it support deterministic trim? Like mentioned LSI can't trim without deterministic trim support.

Also note that flash based unassigned xfs devices are mounted with the discard option, so as long as they are on a controller with trim support there's no need to manually issues discards, though using the discard mount option results in trimming right after any delete operation might have a negative impact on performance.

No, it's plugged into the Asmedia SATA ports.  Yes, both variables for TRIM support when I Grepped it.

Just now, aidenpryde said:

So, when I ran the command I used what I'd call the share name. 

That's the UD path, you could try mounting the device manually and running fstrim, just to confirm issue is not UD related.

Unmount device in UD then:

mkdir /temp

mount -t xfs /dev/sdX1 /temp

fstrim v- /temp

Replace X with correct letter, and don't forget the 1 next to it.

13 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's the UD path, you could try mounting the device manually and running fstrim, just to confirm issue is not UD related.

Unmount device in UD then:

mkdir /temp

mount -t xfs /dev/sdX1 /temp

fstrim v- /temp

Replace X with correct letter, and don't forget the 1 next to it.

Is this non-destructive? I imagine "unmount" is what I'd use to unmount it after I'm done?

Edited by aidenpryde
added another question.
  • trurl pinned this topic