Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

No.  The credentials are set when the device is first mounted.  If they are incorrect, the CIFS mount should fail.

I have an idea here.  I don't know how the Mac implements SMB.  Is it possible that you have the credentials set wrong and the Mac share mounts regardless and then fails when the share is accessed?

Remove the remote share from UD and then set it up again.  Be sure the credentials are set correctly.

I thought the latest SAMBA only had security fixes, but it's possible other changes were made.

SMB2 is not a new protocol.

Remove the share.  

Added it back.

Error persists.

The share is accessible (both read and write) to the array and services - it just spams the log multiple times per second when being accessed.

Question, how often is the system log purged?

Thank you for taking the time to investigate.  

I've extended the mount and umount timeouts to 30 and 45 seconds respectively in the latest release.

12 hours ago, dany-dm said:

Dec 14 00:13:08 NasDan kernel: BTRFS error (device sdi1): open_ctree failed

You should do a file system check on that disk though.  I'm not sure if this log entry is an issue or not.

Could you post the complete diagnostics?

8 hours ago, J.Nerdy said:

Remove the share.  

Added it back.

Error persists.

The share is accessible (both read and write) to the array and services - it just spams the log multiple times per second when being accessed.

Question, how often is the system log purged?

Thank you for taking the time to investigate.  

Do you have any settings on the Mac related to SAMBA?

Take a look at this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Edited by dlandon
It takes 21 seconds to mount a btrfs file system?  And 40 seconds to umount?  Seems a bit long to me.

It is long, but it's normal for a large btrfs filesystem, since I use btrfs on the data disks some of my servers take more than 2 minutes to mount all the disks, and even more to unmount, kind of a pain, there's a patch/mount option to improve that, but it's not yet merged.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Do you have any settings on the Mac related to SAMBA?

Take a look at this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Nothing special, its a pretty simple setup.

The thunderbay (6 disk external raid array) is connected and mounted to the Mac through thunderbolt3.  I then connect to the MAC (only the thunderbay is shared) through SMB utilizing UD.  Prior to  6.8, this worked with no issues.  Only after updating did it start logging credential errors.  I did (per your suggestion, which is better security hygiene anyway- thank you) create a limited role user with an alphanumeric password.  I was hoping the password complexity of the admin account was the issue - but it persists across the new user as well.

Oddly, I can access and manipulate the data on the SMB disk just fine - its just filling up my log (an inconvenience, but not a shop stopper).  As you noted, it is only when accessing the disk with active read|writes that is begins to spam.  

14 hours ago, Squid said:

Its connected USB, so no issues on the speed.  SMART looks good

Thanks for making the clarification. Potentially there could be some issues with the drive enclosure and not the drive itself, previously there were smart errors. So now I’m confused. @dlandonand @Squid is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this? I’m considering tuning another full smart scan on this drive again and try to get diagnostics via terminal. 

43 minutes ago, DeBaschdi said:

Hi, unassigned Devices don´t work'for me,

it displays in maintab "Warning: syntax error, unexpected '=' in Unknown on line 1 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1349"

can u help me ?

unraid-diagnostics-20191214-1734.zip 105.66 kB · 1 download

You have a null device:

Dec 13 13:48:13 Unraid unassigned.devices: Disk with serial '', mountpoint '' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...

It looks like it might be your TREKSTOR device:

smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-4.19.88-Unraid] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda: Unknown USB bridge [0x1e68:0x1087 (0x100)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

I'll make a change so the php error won't show, but this device won't mount.

43 minutes ago, DeBaschdi said:

it displays in maintab "Warning: syntax error, unexpected '=' in Unknown on line 1 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1349"

can u help me ?

unraid-diagnostics-20191214-1734.zip 105.66 kB · 1 download

You have a null device:

Dec 13 13:48:13 Unraid unassigned.devices: Disk with serial '', mountpoint '' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...

It looks like it might be your TREKSTOR device:

smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-4.19.88-Unraid] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda: Unknown USB bridge [0x1e68:0x1087 (0x100)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

I'll make a change so the php error won't show, but this device won't mount.

1 hour ago, geonerdist said:

Thanks for making the clarification. Potentially there could be some issues with the drive enclosure and not the drive itself, previously there were smart errors. So now I’m confused. @dlandonand @Squid is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this? I’m considering tuning another full smart scan on this drive again and try to get diagnostics via terminal. 

I don't think it's the disk.  What enclosure are you using?  I assume the disk is in a USB enclosure.

54 minutes ago, DeBaschdi said:

can u help me ?

Apparently not related to your problem, but for future reference.

You should check and make sure you are using the current version of the plugin before asking for help. Yours is not the current version.

@dlandon I don't know if this is as much a UD problem as a change in Samba that is causing the issue.  Researching around there seems to be open issue with kernel complaining (across distros: red hat, ubunutu etc) about SMB verification error - but still being able to mount and browse the destination - starting in June.  Have not found any solid information on solution either.

25 minutes ago, J.Nerdy said:

@dlandon I don't know if this is as much a UD problem as a change in Samba that is causing the issue.  Researching around there seems to be open issue with kernel complaining (across distros: red hat, ubunutu etc) about SMB verification error - but still being able to mount and browse the destination - starting in June.  Have not found any solid information on solution either.

UD only manages the mounting and unmounting of remote shares.  The rest is handled by Samba.

I have a Windows share that I mounted (requires credentials) and couldn't reproduce the problem.  I suspect something about the implementation on the Mac.

44 minutes ago, dlandon said:

UD only manages the mounting and unmounting of remote shares.  The rest is handled by Samba.

I have a Windows share that I mounted (requires credentials) and couldn't reproduce the problem.  I suspect something about the implementation on the Mac.

Agreed.  I don't believe this to be a UD problem as other linux users are having similar issue with remote shares - (though it seems to affect windows machines as well in their instances).  I think I need to kick this back to as a bug report in 6.8 stable?  Though I think it could be a Samba bug...1989971979_ScreenShot2019-12-14at2_13_32PM.png.c20118cf65341d3b7e2eecc28c585714.png

lib.zip

7 hours ago, J.Nerdy said:

I want you to run a test for me.  Unzip the attached file and the copy it in a terminal session.

cp lib.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/

Then unmount and re-mount the remote share and see if the logging continues.  I've added uid and gid to the mount.  Let's see if that helps.

lib.zip

Edited by dlandon
6 hours ago, dlandon said:

You might try another USB port, or USB 2 instead of USB 3.

Well now the saga continues. I unmounted the disk and remembered it was plugged in with a USB extension. Got rid of that and plugged it directly in to the server. Tried both USB3.0 ports (and a USB 2.0 after downloading the attached diagnostics) and am unable to mount and it throws warnings in the log. I'm going to plug it in to my windows machine and see what happens. 

tower-diagnostics-20191215-0350.zip

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

lib.zip 11.69 kB · 0 downloads

I want you to run a test for me.  Unzip the attached file and the copy it in a terminal session.

cp lib.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/

Then unmount and re-mount the remote share and see if the logging continues.  I've added uid and gid to the mount.  Let's see if that helps.

lib.zip 11.69 kB · 0 downloads

Copied and umount & mount  and still getting log spam (tried rebooting server as well).

I also tried digging into folder (disk) ownership.  Nothing there worked either.  

I was on Mojave (which only supported smb1) and upgraded to Catalina which deprecates smb1 for sm3 ... still no joy.

I really appreciate your help, I wish I could be of more value.

(Just updated plug-in as well).

• trurl pinned this topic