Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

6 hours ago, J.Nerdy said:

Copied and umount & mount  and still getting log spam (tried rebooting server as well).

I also tried digging into folder (disk) ownership.  Nothing there worked either.  

I was on Mojave (which only supported smb1) and upgraded to Catalina which deprecates smb1 for sm3 ... still no joy.

I really appreciate your help, I wish I could be of more value.

(Just updated plug-in as well).

Can I get a diagnostics after you did the above?

6 hours ago, DeBaschdi said:

Hi, thank you for your help. unfortunately the error persists even after an update. in the appendix you will find the new log.

unraid-diagnostics-20191215-0635.zip 88.6 kB · 1 download

Screenshot_20191215_063811.png

Try:

- Remove the preclear plugin.

- Remove the UD plugin and then give me a screen shot of the Unassigned Devices tab.  You have a disk that is showing up without a serial number.

What disk is missing from UD that you expect to see?

Edited by dlandon
9 hours ago, J.Nerdy said:

Copied and umount & mount  and still getting log spam (tried rebooting server as well).

I also tried digging into folder (disk) ownership.  Nothing there worked either.  

I was on Mojave (which only supported smb1) and upgraded to Catalina which deprecates smb1 for sm3 ... still no joy.

I really appreciate your help, I wish I could be of more value.

(Just updated plug-in as well).

I have a work around.  I cannot reproduce your issue, so I cannot help with the solution, but I have added a 'Syslog Filter' to the enhanced log plugin.  I'm not a fan of covering up a problem rather than fixing it, but in this case you should be good if everything is working correctly.

Install the enhanced log plugin from CA.  Go to Settings->Enhanced Log and click on 'Syslog Filter'.  Remove the example test line and then paste in this:

"CIFS VFS: SMB signature verification returned error"

Click 'Apply' and see if the log messages stop.

3 hours ago, Dextros said:

Hi dlanldon, 

I initially did not post here, as I do not believe this to be a UD issue, but what do you think of;

Thanks

It's not a UD issue.  UD mounts the device, but the permissions are controlled by the application.  In your case the resilio-sync docker.

You could try running resilio-sync privileged.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

I have a work around.  I cannot reproduce your issue, so I cannot help with the solution, but I have added a 'Syslog Filter' to the enhanced log plugin.  I'm not a fan of covering up a problem rather than fixing it, but in this case you should be good if everything is working correctly.

Install the enhanced log plugin from CA.  Go to Settings->Enhanced Log and click on 'Syslog Filter'.  Remove the example test line and then paste in this:

"CIFS VFS: SMB signature verification returned error"

Click 'Apply' and see if the log messages stop.

1) very cool plugin - I wish I knew about this earlier

2) indeed it mask the SMB sig errors...

3) see the pic, I will do the same for smb2_readyv_callback (they are clearly related to the samba issues and only persist when accessing the remote mount)

How do I troubleshoot the issues with Samba?  While I appreciate the help (and am grateful should it continue), this appears to be an "edge-case" and honestly, is not an issue with UD ... but rather how CIFS | SMB network mounts are borked on my system.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.43.12 AM.png

Edited by J.Nerdy
8 minutes ago, J.Nerdy said:

1) very cool plugin - I wish I knew about this earlier

2) indeed it mask the SMB sig errors...

3) see the pic, I will do the same for smb2_readyv_callback (they are clearly related to the samba issues and only persist when accessing the remote mount)

How do I troubleshoot the issues with Samba?  While I appreciate the help (and am grateful should it continue), this appears to be an "edge-case" and honestly, is not an issue with UD ... but rather how CIFS | SMB network mounts are borked on my system.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.43.12 AM.png

I'm still working on it.  I have a few ideas related to user and group permissions.  The best I can tell is that the Mac is not totally respecting the mount credentials.  This could be the Mac or Samba.

You should also set the the Mac to work with SMB3.  It is more secure than SMB2 and might be part of the issue with credentials.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I'm still working on it.  I have a few ideas related to user and group permissions.  The best I can tell is that the Mac is not totally respecting the mount credentials.  This could be the Mac or Samba.

You should also set the the Mac to work with SMB3.  It is more secure than SMB2 and might be part of the issue with credentials.

macOS 10.15.x defaults to smb3 (which was introduced with its rollout - deprecating smb1 support).   I really do appreciate your diligence.  What is so perplexing about the error is despite protesting security mismatch, the network device is still mounted R/W with complete access.  Wacky.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, J.Nerdy said:

macOS 10.15.x defaults to smb3 (which was introduced with its rollout - deprecating smb1 support).   I really do appreciate your diligence.  What is so perplexing about the error is despite protesting security mismatch, the network device is still mounted R/W with complete access.  Wacky.

Thanks!

That's why I am comfortable with you filtering out the log messages.  I don't want the Syslog Filter to be used to just discard messages people might not like that are important for troubleshooting.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:54 AM, dlandon said:

I'm not sure what is causing your high cpu usage, but you are remote mounting shares and when the remote server goes off-line, there are disk commands that will take longer and possibly time out.

I think your expectation of what your Unraid server can/will do is too high.  Mounting UD disks, remote shares, and preclearing 4 disks at once is a bit much.  If you insist on preclearing disks (I'm one of those that believes it is not necessary and a waste of time), do it on another machine or stop mounting UD disks and remote shares until the preclears are done.

I waited until the preclears finished before going any further. Sure enough the CPU usage dropped to more normal levels once the preclears were complete. I suspect my system just doesn't have enough CPU cores/threads and PCIe lanes to adequately handle the large number of physical drives attached - 22 SATA connections in total: 2 parity, 18 data, 1 cache SSD, 1 UD-mounted app/VM SSD.

I'm watching for a used Threadripper 2950 setup on eBay/local classifieds to upgrade the system, which is currently a 4 core i7-6700K @ 4GHz with 32GB of RAM on a microATX motherboard. I did upgrade to 6.8 now that it's been released and the NVidia build is available. So far things are settling back down in somewhat normal operation but the system upgrade is still planned.

I only use preclear mainly to weed out any disks that are bad right from the factory. If you just add a disk and let unRAID do the clear, it takes just as much time but if it fails, I'm still not sure if you're left with a degraded array or if it aborts the addition of the new drive? Regardless, I'm fine with spending the time doing the preclear in advance of adding the disk(s) to the array.

As for the remote shares and them possibly slowing down the system, I have indeed seen that when one of them went offline. I've cleaned up those remote mounts and still have two of them active while I shuffle data between them and the unRAID build. So far I've not experienced the lock-ups that others have seen when remote mounts go offline, but as soon as I've moved my data to where I want it, those shares will be unmounted and removed.

Dale

37 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That's why I am comfortable with you filtering out the log messages.  I don't want the Syslog Filter to be used to just discard messages people might not like that are important for troubleshooting.

Using enhanced log, I am not seeing VM start-up or other messaging - is this normal?

2 hours ago, J.Nerdy said:

Thanks!

I think the log messages you are seeing are more of Samba complaining, and not a real problem.

Here is another thing you can try.  Disable NetBIOS and enable WSD in the SMB settings.  This will disable SMB1 and force either SMB2 or SMB3 depending on the server hosting the remote share.

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

I think the log messages you are seeing are more of Samba complaining, and not a real problem.

Here is another thing you can try.  Disable NetBIOS and enable WSD in the SMB settings.  This will disable SMB1 and force either SMB2 or SMB3 depending on the server hosting the remote share.

Disabled netbios and made sure WSD was enabled.  Errors persist.  

Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: '/sbin/mount -t nfs -o rw,hard,timeo=600,retrans=10 '10.0.0.14://Unraid' '/mnt/disks/10.0.0.14_Unraid''
Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 rpcbind[13450]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to getport/addr(status)
Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.0.0.14://Unraid .

11 hours ago, Elembemedia said:

Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: '/sbin/mount -t nfs -o rw,hard,timeo=600,retrans=10 '10.0.0.14://Unraid' '/mnt/disks/10.0.0.14_Unraid''
Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 rpcbind[13450]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to getport/addr(status)
Dec 17 19:30:05 LMB-UR01 unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.0.0.14://Unraid .

That is not Diagnostics. Syslog snippets are seldom sufficient.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, J.Nerdy said:

Thanks!

Can you give me the output of:

ls -l /mnt/disks/your remote share

I have a Drobo installed on my UnRAID server via USB. 

The problem is, about two weeks ago, after an Unassigned Devices update that prompted me to restart the server (not sure which version this was), my Drobo would no longer mount. My UD plugin is up-to-date and I have tried rebooting the server, to no avail. 

Any hints on how I can get this working, short of moving the Drobo to another computer? Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20191219-1642.zip

Edited by PeeBee
added diagnostics
4 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

I have a Drobo installed on my UnRAID server via USB. 

The problem is, about two weeks ago, after an Unassigned Devices update that prompted me to restart the server (not sure which version this was), my Drobo would no longer mount. My UD plugin is up-to-date and I have tried rebooting the server, to no avail. 

Any hints on how I can get this working, short of moving the Drobo to another computer? Thanks.

How about we get some diagnostics.  Can't help without that.

• trurl pinned this topic