Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, DocHodges said:

I’m so terribly unfamiliar with Linux that by the time I watched some you tube videos to get it transferring I would likely be 25% done just copying from the Qnap. I have the Qnap shared folder and the unraid shares on my main windows pc so plan to just copy and paste. But since it’s pushing over 4TB I was looking for a way to transfer without leaving my windows pc running.

You should be able to use Unassigned Devices to remote mount the share on your Qnap and leave the middle computer out of it.

2 hours ago, PeeBee said:

Screenshot attached. 

2019-12-20 Drobo on UnRAID.png

Thanks.  Why is there an empty partition?  Can that be deleted?  This caused one issue that didn't mean anything, but caused a time out checking for a precleared disk.  UD checks for a preclear signature if there is no file system on the partition.

After reviewing the log again the I see the mount took over three minutes.  I am baffled why a mount would take longer than three minutes.

Hi there.  I can't seem to delete a partition in a disk I have set aside in unassigned devices.  It's sdk and the partition is "NVR".  I want to wipe that partition out so I can reformat the disk.  I have unassigned devices set to destructive mode enabled.  Everything appears to work as it should when I remove the partition and type "Yes" but the partition remains there unchanged afterwards.  Diagnostics attached.

someflix-unraid-diagnostics-20191222-0845.zip

Edited by statecowboy
39 minutes ago, statecowboy said:

Hi there.  I can't seem to delete a partition in a disk I have set aside in unassigned devices.  It's sdk and the partition is "NVR".  I want to wipe that partition out so I can reformat the disk.  I have unassigned devices set to destructive mode enabled.  Everything appears to work as it should when I remove the partition and type "Yes" but the partition remains there unchanged afterwards.  Diagnostics attached.

someflix-unraid-diagnostics-20191222-0845.zip 338.87 kB · 1 download

I don't see anything in your log.  It works for me  Go to the UD web page and click on the '+' and show a screen shot.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:51 PM, dlandon said:

Thanks.  Why is there an empty partition?  Can that be deleted?  This caused one issue that didn't mean anything, but caused a time out checking for a precleared disk.  UD checks for a preclear signature if there is no file system on the partition.

After reviewing the log again the I see the mount took over three minutes.  I am baffled why a mount would take longer than three minutes.

I saw that you uploaded a new UD update. It fixed the problem! 

I guess I can return the external drive I ordered to back up the Drobo before deleting that extra partition. It seems to work just fine the way it is. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to diagnose and fix this. The UnRAID community is luck to have you in it. 

2019-12-22 Drobo on UnRAID Fixed!.png

32 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

I saw that you uploaded a new UD update. It fixed the problem! 

I guess I can return the external drive I ordered to back up the Drobo before deleting that extra partition. It seems to work just fine the way it is. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to diagnose and fix this. The UnRAID community is luck to have you in it. 

2019-12-22 Drobo on UnRAID Fixed!.png

My only concern with the empty partition is the potential delay in mounting that drive.  Three minutes for a ntfs disk is a long time!  Btrfs can take longer than other formats, but I've not seen a ntfs disk take that long.

I am having an issue with the naming the unassigned devices that are appearing as the same drives.  I have 3 1TB USB drives.  I am trying to rename each of of the mount points and mount them after but the when I change a name one of the drives it changes for all 3 of them.  What is the workaround for something like this?

Capture99.PNG

56 minutes ago, pcbistro said:

I am having an issue with the naming the unassigned devices that are appearing as the same drives.  I have 3 1TB USB drives.  I am trying to rename each of of the mount points and mount them after but the when I change a name one of the drives it changes for all 3 of them.  What is the workaround for something like this?Capture99.PNG

Simple work-around is to disconnect 2 of the USB drives and only do the rename of the mountpoint with one drive attached. Then remove it and attach the next and lastly do the 3rd.

58 minutes ago, pcbistro said:

I am having an issue with the naming the unassigned devices that are appearing as the same drives.  I have 3 1TB USB drives.  I am trying to rename each of of the mount points and mount them after but the when I change a name one of the drives it changes for all 3 of them.  What is the workaround for something like this?

Capture99.PNG

Are those drives in a docking station?  All the same kind?

5 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

Simple work-around is to disconnect 2 of the USB drives and only do the rename of the mountpoint with one drive attached. Then remove it and attach the next and lastly do the 3rd.

That would not work because UD still has the others recorded in the configuration file.  They would all be changed each time one was changed.  The drives have to each have a unique ID.  I suspect the drives are all in the same model docking station and the disk ids are same.  They won't mount because of the duplicate ids.  Check in some earlier posts on how to change the disk id and see if they can be changed,

Edited by dlandon
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That would not work because UD still has the others recorded in the configuration file.  They would all be changed each time one was changed.  The drives have to each have a unique ID.  I suspect the drives are all in the same model docking station and the disk ids are same.  They won't mount because of the duplicate ids.  Check in some earlier posts on how to change the disk id and see if they can be changed,

Possibly.... note that the 4th drive that is mounting properly also has the same ending sequence as the 3 drives that appear identical in their identification info. Could be a compatibility issue with the 1TB hard drives having a model/serial number that's longer and doesn't differentiate until later in the sequence.

Only way to know is to try. If the user chooses to remove the forgotten devices at the bottom of the UD section, that might help eliminate the potential for them to get identified as the same drive.

Edited by AgentXXL
grammar
  • trurl pinned this topic