Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

22 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't see any remote mounts.  I don't see anything going on with the SSD.  What are you using the SSD disk for?

The lsof command is used to show the open files on the SSD.  It is not really a problem, it just doesn't show the number of open files.

I use the SSD Plex (metadeta, config etc), nzbget unpacking and I have one VM disk on there which is not currently being utilized.

Thanks to @gfjardim, the NFS server search can now be done without Nmap.  UD+ will no longer install the Nmap package.  He also came up with a method of searching for SMB servers on the latest samba release.  Because of security concerns, SMB1 is being phased out.  SMB1 uses NetBIOS and without NetBIOS, server lookup has changed.  The smbtree command in samba is no longer working.

This new method has a few issues.  Any Unraid server on your LAN will be found by IP address, but not server name if NetBios is disabled on that server.  Windows 10 computers do appear in the list.   I can't say how other servers with samba enabled will show up.  You can always enter the server name manually.  Be aware that manually entered SMB server names will be converted to upper case.

These changes should be compatible with older versions of Unraid.

Edited by dlandon
  • Thanks 1

Jan 16 02:40:20 MIKESDESKTOP rpc.mountd[4844]: refused mount request from 192.168.1.87 for /Media/ (/): not exported
Jan 16 02:40:39 MIKESDESKTOP rpc.mountd[4844]: can't get hostname of 192.168.1.87
Jan 16 02:40:53 MIKESDESKTOP nginx: 2020/01/16 02:40:53 [error] 5086#5086: *959989 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.87, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "192.168.1.62"

UD has been running pretty good for a while now so tonight while doing some maintenance it hung.

Going through the logs I see this and realized I'd just restarted another computer on my network around the same time. After some hunting I found the culprit was an old sonarr instance running as a service. I've moved Sonarr to Unraid so this install was no longer needed.

I've solved this by uninstalling Sonarr properly and I'm making this comment for two reasons.

1. In case someone has a similar issue it'll come up in google

2. I'm curious why would sonarr slamming my server and not getting connected make UD hang? How does SMB affect UD at all?

3 hours ago, Wavey said:

2. I'm curious why would sonarr slamming my server and not getting connected make UD hang? How does SMB affect UD at all?

UD uses Linux commands to get the status on UD mounted devices.  SMB remote mounts cause some commands to hang up even when not related to a SMB mount.  The commands now time out in UD to prevent a total hang, but the time outs are long enough that UD appears to hang at times.  There has to be a compromise between giving enough time to accomplish the task and timing out so UD doesn't appear to hang.

So I started getting this error when I try to mount SMB devices lately:

Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount of '//backup.pilot/unraid_backup' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.
Jan 16 12:44:47 unRAID emhttpd: req (4): csrf_token=****************&title=System Log&cmd=/webGui/scripts/tail_log&arg1=syslog

I am not sure why this is happening since the share has worked before and I can browse the shares on this NAS with the plugin. I attached my diagnostics file also for you to take a look at.

unraid-diagnostics-20200116-1251.zip

23 minutes ago, Michel Amberg said:

So I started getting this error when I try to mount SMB devices lately:

Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Jan 16 12:44:41 unRAID unassigned.devices: Mount of '//backup.pilot/unraid_backup' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.
Jan 16 12:44:47 unRAID emhttpd: req (4): csrf_token=****************&title=System Log&cmd=/webGui/scripts/tail_log&arg1=syslog

I am not sure why this is happening since the share has worked before and I can browse the shares on this NAS with the plugin. I attached my diagnostics file also for you to take a look at.

unraid-diagnostics-20200116-1251.zip 116.04 kB · 0 downloads

SMB mount passwords are now encrypted.  Delete and re-create the mount.

9 hours ago, Michel Amberg said:

Okay it seems like having a capital "S" in the password in the beginning breaks it. I changed the password now and it works..

I lost my mount and it would not remount, I tried trouble shooting, most current version, reboot, test device (separate UNRAID NAS) but couldn't get it mount. After changing my password to a simple (no Uppers or !) it works.

Very strange but thank you for this post.

1 hour ago, bellyup said:

I lost my mount and it would not remount, I tried trouble shooting, most current version, reboot, test device (separate UNRAID NAS) but couldn't get it mount. After changing my password to a simple (no Uppers or !) it works.

Very strange but thank you for this post.

I've made a change in the latest UD release so more complicated passwords can be entered.  You'll have to re-create your password enabled SMB mounts.

2 hours ago, ThaDaVos said:

Maybe a stupid question - but how does one use a username and password with a NFS share? It won't mount for me so I guess I need to enter my username and password but I can't find out where I have to do this - the SMB option does have a username and password field

I don't use NFS sharing, so I don't exactly know how to set up permissions, but there are settings in Settings->Unassigned Devices for NFS sharing and how you want to share - 'Public', or 'Private'.  You enter parameters in 'Rule' for Private sharing.  Someone more familiar with NFS sharing can offer you some help on how to set the 'Rule'.

I've corrected a mistake I made in the generation of the key used to encrypt/decrypt SMB passwords.  UD will fix the mistake for you by generating the proper key if it sees an issue with the original key, but this will cause your mounts to fail.  Just remove and then add back your SMB shares.

• Thanks 1

My remote shares didn't mount sincce the upgrade to 6.8.1.

Had read the posts above i recreated my shares. No problem with my passwords.

The problem is i can only create one share.

I created a smb share on a remote server. It mounted.

I then created another share on another server it's been created but can not mount (and the share name doesn't contain the server name) and the first share disappeared.

1 hour ago, caplam said:

My remote shares didn't mount sincce the upgrade to 6.8.1.

Had read the posts above i recreated my shares. No problem with my passwords.

The problem is i can only create one share.

I created a smb share on a remote server. It mounted.

I then created another share on another server it's been created but can not mount (and the share name doesn't contain the server name) and the first share disappeared.

Sounds like you have the share name the same for both remote mounts.  Each share has to have a unique name.

One share is called Backup on the server Zeus.

The other is called Proxmox on the server Dionysos.

After having done more tests, i can add several shares from zeus (it's a qnap nas).

As soon i add a share from dionysos (it's a synology nas) the shares from zeus disappear; and the share from dionysos can not be mounted.

Until yesterday all the shares where mounted without a glitch since 6 months. It seems related to 6.8.1.

Yesterday i had a very weird problem. The user share disappeared with no reason. I had to reboot for recovering. I had upgraded to 6.8.1 the day before.

39 minutes ago, caplam said:

One share is called Backup on the server Zeus.

The other is called Proxmox on the server Dionysos.

After having done more tests, i can add several shares from zeus (it's a qnap nas).

As soon i add a share from dionysos (it's a synology nas) the shares from zeus disappear; and the share from dionysos can not be mounted.

Until yesterday all the shares where mounted without a glitch since 6 months. It seems related to 6.8.1.

Yesterday i had a very weird problem. The user share disappeared with no reason. I had to reboot for recovering. I had upgraded to 6.8.1 the day before.

I don't think it is 6.8.1.  This is all under the control of UD.  Please post diagnostics for further help.

• trurl pinned this topic