Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

im using smb and gave myself read/write access to unssigned drives. On windows 10, i can try delete a file from said mounted drives, it will start and finish the deletion menu. but the target that i wanted to delete wasnt deleted. also if i were to map the drive as a network, i dont get the deletion option at all.

Readonly is off.

Looking into security tab in properties of file, the assigned user with read and write access isnt listed. 

This leads me to think the smb function in this plugin isnt working.

Edited by acoop133
26 minutes ago, acoop133 said:

im using smb and gave myself read/write access to unssigned drives. On windows 10, i can try delete a file from said mounted drives, it will start and finish the deletion menu. but the target that i wanted to delete wasnt deleted. also if i were to map the drive as a network, i dont get the deletion option at all.

Readonly is off.

Looking into security tab in properties of file, the assigned user with read and write access isnt listed. 

Post diagnostics.

27 minutes ago, acoop133 said:

This leads me to think the smb function in this plugin isnt working.

SMB is working fine.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

If it was native in Unraid, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it based on your signature.

lol signatures have been disabled since the new site for me..  looking, yeah thats pretty outdated. thanks, enabled sigs once again and nuked my stale info

Edited by zoggy

I've run into an issue where my Ubuntu Server VM is no longer mounting/loading the correct partition and I have no idea what/how it happened?

Basically it's booting off of the EFI partition and wants to do a clean install. This is what I see on the Main page on Unraid (attached)

Originally it was working when I had the vDisk location set to "/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SPCCSolidStateDisk_AA000000000000001810". Now that I see two paritions on the main screen, I've tried setting this to "/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SPCCSolidStateDisk_AA000000000000001810-part2", but no luck.

How do I get UD to mount the correct parition?

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.14.18 AM.png

31 minutes ago, torch2k said:

I've run into an issue where my Ubuntu Server VM is no longer mounting/loading the correct partition and I have no idea what/how it happened?

Basically it's booting off of the EFI partition and wants to do a clean install. This is what I see on the Main page on Unraid (attached)

Originally it was working when I had the vDisk location set to "/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SPCCSolidStateDisk_AA000000000000001810". Now that I see two paritions on the main screen, I've tried setting this to "/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SPCCSolidStateDisk_AA000000000000001810-part2", but no luck.

How do I get UD to mount the correct parition?

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.14.18 AM.png

Whenever you post an issue, post diagnostics.  Not posting diagnostics slows down a response to your issue because I have to ask for diagnostics.

Sorry, should have known better. Attached. Here's what else I've found in the meantime:

- Yesterday morning I added 2 new 12TB WD drives. I replaced the 2 10TB WD drives you see listed in my screenshot with the new ones. Parity is currently rebuilding.

- I pulled out the SSD I am having an issue with and mounted it on macOS. macOS can't read/repair the disk, but it is labeled as "WD easystore 25FB Media" which is totally bizarre.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.35.50 AM.png

tower-diagnostics-20200126-1057.zip

That disk has some issues:

Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdu1'...
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t vfat -o rw,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sdu1' '/mnt/disks/stagingserver'
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdu1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdu1' on '/mnt/disks/stagingserver'.
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdu2'...
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ext4 -o rw,auto,noatime,nodiratime,async,nodev,nosuid '/dev/sdu2' '/mnt/disks/staging'
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower kernel: EXT4-fs (sdu2): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower kernel: EXT4-fs (sdu2): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)
Jan 26 10:53:16 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdu2' on '/mnt/disks/staging'.

Unmount the disk.  Then click on the '+' sign by the partition and then click the four squares and do a correcting disk check.

Ran on both paritions, see attached. It looks like /mnt/disks/staging will show up but it's just empty. It should be about 8GB of Ubuntu + a bunch of websites and databases, etc.  Ubuntu keeps wanting to re-install now. Do I need to be looking at data recovery now? If so, any recommendations?

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.14.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.15.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.17.17 AM.png

Edited by torch2k
2 hours ago, torch2k said:

Ran on both paritions, see attached. It looks like /mnt/disks/staging will show up but it's just empty. It should be about 8GB of Ubuntu + a bunch of websites and databases, etc.  Ubuntu keeps wanting to re-install now. Do I need to be looking at data recovery now? If so, any recommendations?

There are people here that are a lot better than I am at dealing with disk issues.  @johnnie.black could possibly lend a hand.

Hey @dlandon, recently I've been having an issue getting my SMB share to mount using UD. Had a power outage last night, and since booting everything back up the share won't mount. It's worth noting that a few days prior to the outage I updated UD for the first time in a very long time (the drive was already mounted at that point, so I'm not sure if the issue is related to the update.

Here's a quick snapshot of the error I'm seeing. I have done quite a bit of googling and troubleshooting, but haven't come up with anything yet. It's worth noting that I was able to manually mount the share from the terminal by manually creating the mount point and specifying credentials. This did not persist through a reboot however.

image.thumb.png.347f8e0b4c73da7c1dee151f4ed713f0.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tower-diagnostics-20200126-1346.zip

1 hour ago, Litso said:

Hey @dlandon, recently I've been having an issue getting my SMB share to mount using UD. Had a power outage last night, and since booting everything back up the share won't mount. It's worth noting that a few days prior to the outage I updated UD for the first time in a very long time (the drive was already mounted at that point, so I'm not sure if the issue is related to the update.

Here's a quick snapshot of the error I'm seeing. I have done quite a bit of googling and troubleshooting, but haven't come up with anything yet. It's worth noting that I was able to manually mount the share from the terminal by manually creating the mount point and specifying credentials. This did not persist through a reboot however.

image.thumb.png.347f8e0b4c73da7c1dee151f4ed713f0.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tower-diagnostics-20200126-1346.zip 70.94 kB · 1 download

The passwords for SMB mounts are now encrypted and unless you recreate the SMB mount after updating UD, it will fail to mount.  Did you delete the SMB mount and re-create it?

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

The passwords for SMB mounts are now encrypted and unless you recreate the SMB mount after updating UD, it will fail to mount.  Did you delete the SMB mount and re-create it?

Yes, I have deleted the mount from "Main" tab in the WebUI more than once. I did a reinstall of UD as well, but when I reinstalled it seems as if the configs persisted as the mount was still there. Is there a clean way to remove all UD configs and data and start fresh?

1 minute ago, Litso said:

Yes, I have deleted the mount from "Main" tab in the WebUI more than once. I did a reinstall of UD as well, but when I reinstalled it seems as if the configs persisted as the mount was still there. Is there a clean way to remove all UD configs and data and start fresh?

Remove the plugin, then remove the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Remove the plugin, then remove the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder.

Is it possible to do that from Unraid or the terminal itself, do I need to plug my flash drive into another machine?

Nevermind found it!

Edited by Litso
5 minutes ago, Litso said:

Yea, good call. It took maybe 15-20s.

Ok.  A SMB remote mount should not take that long.  It should be very quick.  Now to understand why it takes so long.  When did this start?  What changed?  Does your remote server have to spin up disks?

Just now, dlandon said:

Ok.  A SMB remote mount should not take that long.  It should be very quick.  Now to understand why it takes so long.  When did this start?  What changed?  Does your remote server have to spin up disks?

Remote server is a Synology DS212+. I don't think it's a spin up issue.

First time I noticed this behavior was last night after the power outage. After coming back online my storage pool was in a degraded state, with one of the drives being marked bad. It's still running a parity consistency check, which could be the cause of the issue, but I didn't think it would have had that much of an impact as the system is is not particularly taxed by any of the metrics I can see.

I also just migrated to a new network today (Unifi system came in, yay!). I was having this issue on the old network as well, though, so I don't think it's the cause, but I do have a lot of variables in play at the moment which is not ideal.

I can leave it up via the manual mount for now, and try again once it's finished all the repair processes unless you have any other ideas.

Really appreciate the assistance!

Just now, Litso said:

Remote server is a Synology DS212+. I don't think it's a spin up issue.

First time I noticed this behavior was last night after the power outage. After coming back online my storage pool was in a degraded state, with one of the drives being marked bad. It's still running a parity consistency check, which could be the cause of the issue, but I didn't think it would have had that much of an impact as the system is is not particularly taxed by any of the metrics I can see.

I also just migrated to a new network today (Unifi system came in, yay!). I was having this issue on the old network as well, though, so I don't think it's the cause, but I do have a lot of variables in play at the moment which is not ideal.

I can leave it up via the manual mount for now, and try again once it's finished all the repair processes unless you have any other ideas.

Really appreciate the assistance!

Doesn't the Synology support SMB2 or SMB3?  You are forcing all SMB mounts to SMB1.  You should turn forcing SMB1 off if you can.  SMB1 is not as secure as SMB2 and SMB3.

I can extend the timeout for SMB1 mount, but I have spent a lot of time working on the perception that UD hangs when things take a long time and I'm not fond of extending time outs and getting hammered again for "hangs".  I'm thinking this is a situation with your system.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Doesn't the Synology support SMB2 or SMB3?  You are forcing all SMB mounts to SMB1.  You should turn forcing SMB1 off if you can.  SMB1 is not as secure as SMB2 and SMB3.

I can extend the timeout for SMB1 mount, but I have spent a lot of time working on the perception that UD hangs when things take a long time and I'm not fond of extending time outs and getting hammered again for "hangs".  I'm thinking this is a situation with your system.

It does support SMB2 & 3. I had only enabled the force to SMB1 during the troubleshooting, I've since reverted that setting. The timeout happens across 1, 2, and 3.

image.png.569bd6874829bcaf30b5c0da98ea9170.png

• trurl pinned this topic