Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

There is a new version of UD available.  The changes are:

• Remove ext4 format.  Ext4 is not a format used in Unraid and is available in UD for file transfer purposes.  It is not recommended to use an ext4 disk for Unraid purposes such as VMs or Dockers.  Ext4 disks can still be mounted.
  • The 'Auto Mount' switch now defaults to off for physical disk devices.  This might affect existing disks you have that are still using the default setting.  Just go to UD and set the 'Auto Mount' switch on for any physical disks you want auto mounted.
  • Add a 'Pass Through' switch.  Set this switch to on for any disks you are passing through to a VM or Docker.  When this switch is set, UD will not allow a manual mount and will not attempt to auto mount the disk even if 'Auto Mount' is turned on.  UD will not monitor the disk temperature.

Anyone passing through a disk to a VM or Docker should go to UD and set the 'Pass Through' switch on.  With this switch set on, UD will not allow mounting the disk.  It is known that mounting a passed through disk with UD will corrupt the file system on the disk.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dlandon said:
  • The 'Auto Mount' switch now defaults to off for physical disk devices.  This might affect existing disks you have that are still using the default setting.  Just go to UD and set the 'Auto Mount' switch on for any physical disks you want auto mounted.

I thought Auto Mount is always off because I have to manually turn it on for all my drives. So not too sure about what the above means.

If I already turned on Auto Mount (manually) before the update, will the update flips it back to off (i.e. needing me to turn it back on again)?

10 minutes ago, testdasi said:

I thought Auto Mount is always off because I have to manually turn it on for all my drives.

I have two internal drives and they have always auto-mounted.

Aside from this, I have not touched scripts with these drives - just using them as non-array-protected drives.  Do I need to be concerned about changes to scripts?  I'll set them to auto mount when I update later.

Feature request: might it be possible for the home page refresh button to also update the free/used status of mounted drives?  Appreciate that it's not part of Unraid's live page updates, but keep forgetting that.  Quick switch to the tab - yep, space free.  Reality - nope.  Of course I could F5, so it's not that big of a deal.

21 minutes ago, testdasi said:

I thought Auto Mount is always off because I have to manually turn it on for all my drives. So not too sure about what the above means.

It used to default to on when a new drive was introduced.  It now defaults to off.

22 minutes ago, testdasi said:

If I already turned on Auto Mount (manually) before the update, will the update flips it back to off (i.e. needing me to turn it back on again)?

If you already set it manually, then there is nothing to do.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

I have two internal drives and they have always auto-mounted.

Aside from this, I have not touched scripts with these drives - just using them as non-array-protected drives.  Do I need to be concerned about changes to scripts?  I'll set them to auto mount when I update later.

If you navigate to the UD page and the auto mount is set like you want, there is nothing else to do.  If you never changed any settings for the drive, the auto mount will default to off now, instead of on.   The status will be reflected in the setting of the switch.  Just set it how you want.

• Like 1

The reason auto mount default was changed is a problem in the following scenario:  Install a new drive and pass through the drive to a VM or Docker.

If UD defaults to auto mount on and you did not specifically set it in UD to not auto mount, UD would mount the drive on reboot and corrupt the file system.  You can't have a disk passed to a VM or Docker and also have it mounted by UD.

I added the pass through switch so you can designate the disk as passed through and UD will not try to mount it and the mount button is disabled so you don't accidentally mount the disk.

Is there a way to uninstall Unassigned Devices if it is not listed as installed? I think I got it corrupted and now I can't mount non-array drives, so I would like to reinstall UD but when I install it, it says:

plugin: installing: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg ... failed (Network failure)
plugin: wget: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg download failure (Network failure)

Updating Support Links

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 minutes ago, Zotarios said:

uninstall Unassigned Devices if it is not listed as installed?

Delete unassigned.devices.plg from /config/plugins on the flash drive and rebot.

3 minutes ago, Zotarios said:

This *implies* that there's something wrong with your network settings.  How are you installing it?  Via pasting the URL or via the apps tab?

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

Delete unassigned.devices.plg from /config/plugins on the flash drive and rebot.

Already deleted (as well as the folder) and rebooted, but still this appears:

image.png.f3b5e312fd93ad7c6cd7a2816cefb05a.png

Yet they are not installed:image.png

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

This *implies* that there's something wrong with your network settings.  How are you installing it?  Via pasting the URL or via the apps tab?

Tryed both, and I could download it from github on the same network. And I can download other apps on unRaid.

Edited by Zotarios
Provided more info.
2 minutes ago, Zotarios said:

Sorry didn't know that. So the thing is that I had it installed, then disappeared and I can't install/uninstall it now.

May it be due to I changed a VM image to the UD?

No.  It looks to be a network issue.  It might be the GitHub repository for the UD plugin.  Try again.

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

No.  It looks to be a network issue.  It might be the GitHub repository for the UD plugin.  Try again.

Tryed again, now it gives me a *done* downloading the plg but network issue with the tgz

plugin: downloading: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg ... done
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.01.30a.tgz" ... failed (Network failure)
plugin: wget: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.01.30a.tgz" download failure (Network failure)

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Is there a banner across the top of Apps saying that it's running on it's backup server?

No it isn't.

1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

Diagnostics attached.

sda and sdb are two USB sticks that are passed thru to two Unraid VMs.

Since the latest UD update today these are shown on the dashboard while correctly missing on the main page IMHO.

Thanks for looking into it.

tower-diagnostics-20200131-1420.zip 251.72 kB · 1 download

Remove the UD plugin, delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices folder and then re-install UD.  All your unassigned devices should then show in UD.  Be sure to switch on the "Pass Through" for the devices that you pass through to VMs.

8 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Did it exactly by the word. Looks exactly like before.

sda/sdb are shown on Dashboard but not on Main page. There's no way to mark these two devices as passed-through.

I believe sda is your Unraid flash device.  Please post another diagnostics.

• trurl pinned this topic