Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

10 minutes ago, andreidelait said:

OMG, I had to change the theme to see it.

I'm colorblind and I didn't see it on that theme.

Thank You.

I'm not a fan of the dark theme for that reason.  Not enough contrast for those of us with color vision issues.

A new release of UD is available with the following changes:

• You can now format a xfs or btrfs encrypted disk with UD that is compatible with the array.  The disk is created with the array password/passphrase.  Unraid 6.8 and greater only.
  • A disk encrypted with a different password than the array can be mounted with a disk password set in the UD settings.
  • All disks partitioned with a format other than xfs and btrfs will be partitioned gpt, regardless of the size.
  • A lot of cleanup in the UI removing unnecessary code.

Consider the encrypted disk format feature experimental until some users give it a try.  I do not have an encrypted array to test so my testig is a bit limited.

• Like 1

Hi I posted here, but I'm starting to think this might be a feature request for either this plugin or unraid itself?

I have two 'hot standby' drives which I just want to be available but never spun-up, checked until i do an actual action on them so as assign, mount, etc.. They seem to always end up spinning for no reason though and never spin-down when idle times are met.  Is there a way to stop these unassigned drives from being managed by Unraid (or have it manage them better by it)?

Sorry if i'm missing something :)

14 minutes ago, spamalam said:

Hi I posted here, but I'm starting to think this might be a feature request for either this plugin or unraid itself?

I have two 'hot standby' drives which I just want to be available but never spun-up, checked until i do an actual action on them so as assign, mount, etc.. They seem to always end up spinning for no reason though and never spin-down when idle times are met.  Is there a way to stop these unassigned drives from being managed by Unraid (or have it manage them better by it)?

Sorry if i'm missing something :)

Install the UD plugin and mark them as passed through.  See if that doesn't help.

I feel like an idiot, but after having issues with SMB shares not connecting properly after reboots or upgrades and removing a SMB share and not being able to get the first "Next" button to click, I feel like I need to ask for some pity for those that can't read good. The "Choose Protocol" is right there with pictures, but for some reason, my brain thought it was going to ask me that on the next page. Both icons are grayed out and the Next button appears to be clickable even when nothing is selected, but the Next button doesn't actually work.

After disabling skins, rebooting, rolling back, upgrading again, uninstalling and reinstalling plugins, I have to ask - can you make it slightly less idiot proof? It wasn't until I noticed the cursor change on mousing over the Windows icon that I realized what I needed to do on that prompt...

TIA!

Hello.

I have added a couple of NVMe drives (970 EVOs) and I want to check to make sure they support trim on my configuration.

Is there a similar command to "hdparm -I /dev/UID | grep TRIM" for NVMe drives? 

The normal command works on SATA SSDs but not on NVMe as I get a "HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device" error when running the command against the NVMe drives.

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

All NVMe devices should support trim, and those support for sure, but you can jus run fstrim on them.

Yes, I know.  I've had issues with SATA controllers supporting TRIM so I wanted to be sure.  Does NVMe have its own controller on the drive itself that does these operations?

Edited by aidenpryde

Additional information on encryoted disks in UD:

• You have to have at least one encrypted disk in the array to format an encrypted disk for the array with UD.  Unraid needs to know the password so UD can format the disk.  This feature is intended for formatting disks that will end up in the array.
  • You can mount an encrypted disk that has come out of the array.
  • If a dsk is already encrypted, UD can mount it if you set the password in the UD settings for that disk.  You don't need an encrypted disk in the array.  This feature is intended for backups, etc onto encrypted disks.
  • You can format a luks encrypted disk with UD.  You will be prompted for a password when the disk is formatted.  To get UD to mount the disk, you need to enter the disk password in UD settings.  You don't need an encrypted disk in the array.
Edited by dlandon
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, lhyily1314 said:

You'll need to reboot your server:

Mar 10 23:55:22 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount -t cifs '//FREENAS/sharedrive' 2>&1
Mar 10 23:55:22 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount of '//FREENAS/sharedrive' failed. Error message: umount: /mnt/disks/FREENAS_sharedrive: no mount point specified. 
Mar 10 23:55:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Since there aren't any open files, will force unmount.
Mar 10 23:55:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmounting '//FREENAS/sharedrive'...
Mar 10 23:55:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount -t cifs -fl '//FREENAS/sharedrive' 2>&1
Mar 10 23:55:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount of '//FREENAS/sharedrive' failed. Error message: umount: /mnt/disks/FREENAS_sharedrive: no mount point specified. 

Your remote share lost it's mount point.

• trurl pinned this topic