Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Having an issue where drives that I've swapped out from my eSATA dock aren't updating properly on the dashboard.

image.thumb.png.08e2c363fd930862e5cae775efb5c944.png

If I look at preclear tools it is showing the new disk correctly.  Disk location plugin also sees the new disk versus the old.  Seems to just be the unassigned devices widget that isn't updating.  If it helps, the disk above hasn't been plugged in for over a day when I was preclearing it before binning it.  Below is the correct disk as shown by preclear.

image.thumb.png.f2c5167fdd6bfe5189477a4f5732b992.png

I already cleared my cache.  Running 6.8.3.  Not a big deal as it doesn't impact me functionally, just making a report so it can be looked at some time.

Thanks for all you do!

Edited by b3rs3rk
Clarify
23 minutes ago, b3rs3rk said:

Having an issue where drives that I've swapped out from my eSATA dock aren't updating properly on the dashboard.

image.thumb.png.08e2c363fd930862e5cae775efb5c944.png

If I look at preclear tools it is showing the new disk correctly.  Disk location plugin also sees the new disk versus the old.  Seems to just be the unassigned devices widget that isn't updating.  If it helps, the disk above hasn't been plugged in for over a day when I was preclearing it before binning it.  Below is the correct disk as shown by preclear.

image.thumb.png.f2c5167fdd6bfe5189477a4f5732b992.png

I already cleared my cache.  Running 6.8.3.  Not a big deal as it doesn't impact me functionally, just making a report so it can be looked at some time.

Thanks for all you do!

Click on the Rescan icon (double arrows) and see if UD will pick up the disk:

Rescan.png.693b8776f7e0f6c5e0489ed306f93deb.png

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, trurl said:

I always power down my eSATA dock when changing disks.

I have a StarTech two-bay USB 2.0/eSATA with the USB unplugged in favor of the two eSATA ports.  Each bay has its own power button.  I turned that latent disk off by the button over a day ago, removed the drive and didn't insert the new one until this morning.  Then turned the power button for that bay back on.  Since the eSATA dock doesn't show up as a device itself to the system and the new drive is functioning perfectly in other plugins I fail to see how physically removing the power plug from the dock is going to fix anything.

My system board is a bit older, but it has the ICH10R controller which fully supports SATA hotswap on board so I doubt it is some issue there.

51 minutes ago, b3rs3rk said:

Will do once this preclear is done in a couple of hours.  I will report back.  I was just reading an issue over there about the preclear log showing the wrong disk too.  Think its related?

It's possible.  Remember both plugins are working with the same unassigned devices.  Preclear gives UD the disk status from a background task running called rc.diskinfo when it is installed to keep UD from interfering with the preclear by probing the disk for information.  There can be issues from that interaction.

@dlandon I removed the preclear plugin and clicked the reload button in UD.  No change.  Went ahead and powered off the drive.  Waited a minute.  Reloaded UD again and verified it was gone.  Then powered on the drive again.  When it came back into UD it was still the wrong name.  I cleared cache and reloaded a few more times and it finally showed up correctly.

Hi, I just upgraded to 6.8.3 and I am no longer able to see my unassigned devices.  They are connected via USB-C to a USB 3.1 Gen II PCIe card.

I found the following in my system log (attached the whole thing just in case):

Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.0: xHCI Host Controller
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 6
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:0c:00.0: Host supports USB 3.1 Enhanced SuperSpeed
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: usb usb6: We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM.
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: hub 6-0:1.0: USB hub found
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: hub 6-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Mar 17 15:37:26 Tower kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

Any help would be most appreciated!

tower-diagnostics-20200317-1610.zip

On 3/12/2020 at 10:10 AM, dlandon said:

I've actually disabled USB3 in my BIOS and have zero issues with any of my USB devices.  Speed is not a concern to me when doing backups and copies.  I just plug them in and walk away until they are done.

The USB keyboard I use won't work right unless I use it in a USB2 port.

Windows is still running check disk on my new drive. I've got the old drive plugged in to a USB 2.0 port and ran several short SMART tests in unraid (this would cause UD to hang before) without issues and currently running my backup. Must be a USB 3.0 thing. Anyways thanks again!

On 1/22/2016 at 2:55 AM, dlandon said:

Encrypted Dsks

• You can format a xfs or btrfs encrypted disk with UD that is compatible with the array.  The disk is created with the array password/passphrase.  You must have at least one encrypted disk in the array.  Unraid 6.8 and greater only.
  • You can format an encrypted disk for use outside the array without having an encrypted array.  The disk password is entered when the disk is formatted.  You need to set the disk password in UD settings so the disk will mount.  Unraid 6.8 and greater only.
  • A disk encrypted with a different password than the array can be mounted with a disk password set in the UD settings.  A different password can be set for each disk.

Hiya, apologies if this is mentioned somewhere - but it's 163 pages here :)

Can i please ask where and how is the password stored? Is it on the flash drive or the Array, and is it itself encrypted?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Derek_ said:

Hiya, apologies if this is mentioned somewhere - but it's 163 pages here :)

Can i please ask where and how is the password stored? Is it on the flash drive or the Array, and is it itself encrypted?

Thanks.

The array password is managed by Unraid.  UD does a call to Unraid to mount and format disks.  The individual disk passwords are stored on the flash and are encrypted.

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

The array password is managed by Unraid.  UD does a call to Unraid to mount and format disks.  The individual disk passwords are stored on the flash and are encrypted.

Cool, got it:

• if the password matches the Array Encryption password then it can know it, if we have it set so (some people don't store the encrypted array password on the system - i think pre 6.8 the security around doing so was poor... not sure with 6.8+)
  • If the password doesn't match, then its stored and encrypted. Where is it stored, and how is it encrypted? I'm guessing the root password is what will get it decrypted?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Derek_ said:

Cool, got it:

• if the password matches the Array Encryption password then it can know it, if we have it set so (some people don't store the encrypted array password on the system - i think pre 6.8 the security around doing so was poor... not sure with 6.8+)
  • If the password doesn't match, then its stored and encrypted. Where is it stored, and how is it encrypted? I'm guessing the root password is what will get it decrypted?

Thanks.

Not quite that way.  There is a setting in UD settings that allows you to set a per disk password.  If this password is not set, the array password is used.  If this password is set, it is used for the specified disk only.  It is encrypted and saved on the flash.  UD does not manage or control any array passwords in any way.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Not quite that way.  There is a setting in UD settings that allows you to set a per disk password.  If this password is not set, the array password is used.  If this password is set, it is used for the specified disk only.  It is encrypted and saved on the flash.  UD does not manage or control any array passwords in any way.

Yes, that's how i understood it - thanks. But i'm still interested to know: When i choose my password to put in UD settings - how it is decrypted from storage? Does inputting my root password decrypt it - and therefor there is no additional encryption key beyond that?

I think i'm twisting myself in a knot... Here's the crux i think: Is it possible to auto-decrypt it at mount, and if so, how is the credential called from an encrypted file... without me supplying a password?

Edited by Derek_
6 minutes ago, Derek_ said:

Yes, that's how i understood it - thanks. But i'm still interested to know: When i choose my password to put in UD settings - how it is decrypted from storage? Does inputting my root password decrypt it - and therefor there is no additional encryption key beyond that?

I think i'm twisting myself in a knot... Here's the crux i think: Is it possible to auto-decrypt it at mount, and if so, how is the credential called from an encrypted file... without me supplying a password?

A random key is created when you first use UD encryption and is used to unencrypt UD disk and remote SMB passwords.  UD does not have access to the array or root password.

I'm not sure where you are going with this questioning or your concern.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

I'm not sure where you are going with this questioning or your concern.

Whenever I use encryption, I like to know about how it's done. If the only key that is used to decrypt is stored rather than supplied (like manually typing it, or using a keyfile stored separately) then I'm wary.

Does this same approach you've just described apply even if you use the same password as the Array? It still stores it?

16 minutes ago, Derek_ said:

Whenever I use encryption, I like to know about how it's done. If the only key that is used to decrypt is stored rather than supplied (like manually typing it, or using a keyfile stored separately) then I'm wary.

Does this same approach you've just described apply even if you use the same password as the Array? It still stores it?

I don't think I am getting my point across.  UD does NOT have access to ANY Unraid passwords, therefore it cannot store them anywhere.  The exception is if you manually enter the array password as a disk password - this is highly discouraged.  The only passwords UD stores are the passwords used for specific disks and SMB shares entered by the user.  You don't have to use the UD password store feature.  You can enter the disk password each time the disk needs to be mounted, then delete it after the disk is mounted.

When there is no disk password entered, UD will do a call to Unraid to use the array password to mount the disk.

Thanks @dlandon. I think we're on the same page now, we're just having trouble coming to a mutual understanding. :)

Through your comments and my experimenting, i can see that i can't mount the encrypted UD unless i've started the Array with its password. I'm not entering a password in the UD settings (as recommended).

Sorry about that :) Have a beer/coffee for your troubles!

It reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the Holy Grail...

Edited by Derek_

Hi there,

whenever i had an external disk mounted to my unraid server (6.8.2 DVB edition) via unassigned devices (letest version and plus), i keep getting errors via mail that do look like this:

subject: cron for user *** /sbin/fstrim -a -v | logger &> /dev/null

fstrim: /mnt/disks/nameofthedisk: the discard operation is not supported
fstrim: /mnt/disks/nameofthesecondpartitioniwouldguess: the discard operation is not supported

Is there a way of getting rid of these messages / warnings? 

They seem to be sent from SSD trim scheduler, though I dont even get why that is the case. The connected disks were no SSDs but classic hard drives, they were also removed / unmounted correctly. Why trim?

If i disable the trim scheduler, my SSDs will no longer get trimmed - seems no solution to me.

If i leave it on, the messages will continuing bothering me. 

Only thing that helps so far is a server reboot. 

Is this a bug or a feature? Because no matter how, once I mount and unmount a disk with the UD plugin - result is some kind of a daily warning (because trim is scheduled daily). Honestly, not the end of the world but still quiet annoying.

Would it be possible to "disconnect" the UD plugin from trim scheduler? Editing cron jobs?

Any suggestions that might help (to stop the polution)?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hi2hello
5 hours ago, hi2hello said:

Hi there,

whenever i had an external disk mounted to my unraid server (6.8.2 DVB edition) via unassigned devices (letest version and plus), i keep getting errors via mail that do look like this:

subject: cron for user *** /sbin/fstrim -a -v | logger &> /dev/null

fstrim: /mnt/disks/nameofthedisk: the discard operation is not supported
fstrim: /mnt/disks/nameofthesecondpartitioniwouldguess: the discard operation is not supported

Is there a way of getting rid of these messages / warnings? 

They seem to be sent from SSD trim scheduler, though I dont even get why that is the case. The connected disks were no SSDs but classic hard drives, they were also removed / unmounted correctly. Why trim?

If i disable the trim scheduler, my SSDs will no longer get trimmed - seems no solution to me.

If i leave it on, the messages will continuing bothering me. 

Only thing that helps so far is a server reboot. 

Is this a bug or a feature? Because no matter how, once I mount and unmount a disk with the UD plugin - result is some kind of a daily warning (because trim is scheduled daily). Honestly, not the end of the world but still quiet annoying.

Would it be possible to "disconnect" the UD plugin from trim scheduler? Editing cron jobs?

Any suggestions that might help (to stop the polution)?

Thanks in advance!

This is more of an issue wth the Dynamix SSD TRIM plugin than with UD.  The SSD trim plugin thinks the disk is an SSD.

• trurl pinned this topic