Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

More accurately, it would be that the fstrim command itself thinks that the drive(s) are SSDs.

Since you can't do anything about the command itself, what you'd have to do is forget about the plugin, and run the appropriate commands via the user scripts plugin on an appropriate schedule.

IE:  

fstrim /mnt/cache -v

Would only trim your cache drive

• Like 1

Howdy Folks.  Any help you may kindly offer would be greatly appreciated :)

I use the most excellent UD to mount SMB shares on my TOWER2 from my TOWER1.

Every 2-3 weeks I power up the secondary backup server, update the Plugins if necessary & reboot, then kick of UserScripts of 2 flavors:
rsync -av --progress --delete-before /mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM/ /mnt/user/WinVM
rsync -r -v --progress --ignore-existing -s /mnt/disks/TOWER_Media/AudioBooks/ /mnt/user/Media/AudioBooks

I update this OS only on occasion as it spends very little time powered up and it has no network shares (it has shares using the same name as the primary TOWER shares, just not shared) 

Today I powered up TOWER2, noted that the UD mounts were good and proceeded to update - the only updates were 6.8.0-6.9.3OS, User Scripts, Community Apps, Fix Common Probs, & Unassigned Devices.

Restarted the server and now the UD shares do not automount. 

If I press the ‘mount’ button the log shows the following:

Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB3 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=3.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB2 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=2.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB1 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB1 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount of '//TOWER/WinVM' failed. Error message: 'mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error '.

Downgraded TOWER2 from 6.8.3 back to 6.8.0 and the problem persists.
I see no way to downgrade UD

…….

Over at the primary Tower I can access the smb shares just fine from Windows 10 (//TOWER) and just fine from Ubuntu (//192.168.x.xxx) 

I'm am uncertain what the next steps are --- this process has been rock stable for a long time up until today.

Thanks folks!

Edited by landS
24 minutes ago, landS said:

Howdy Folks.  Any help you may kindly offer would be greatly appreciated :)

I use the most excellent UD to mount SMB shares on my TOWER2 from my TOWER1.

Every 2-3 weeks I power up the secondary backup server, update the Plugins if necessary & reboot, then kick of UserScripts of 2 flavors:
rsync -av --progress --delete-before /mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM/ /mnt/user/WinVM
rsync -r -v --progress --ignore-existing -s /mnt/disks/TOWER_Media/AudioBooks/ /mnt/user/Media/AudioBooks

I update this OS only on occasion as it spends very little time powered up and it has no network shares (it has shares using the same name as the primary TOWER shares, just not shared) 

Today I powered up TOWER2, noted that the UD mounts were good and proceeded to update - the only updates were 6.8.0-6.9.3OS, User Scripts, Community Apps, Fix Common Probs, & Unassigned Devices.

Restarted the server and now the UD shares do not automount. 

If I press the ‘mount’ button the log shows the following:

Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB3 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=3.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB2 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=2.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//TOWER/WinVM' using SMB1 protocol.
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_WinVM' '//TOWER/WinVM' '/mnt/disks/TOWER_WinVM'
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: SMB1 mount failed: mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error .
Mar 25 09:08:41 Tower2 unassigned.devices: Mount of '//TOWER/WinVM' failed. Error message: 'mount error: could not resolve address for TOWER: Unknown error '.

Downgraded TOWER2 from 6.8.3 back to 6.8.0 and the problem persists.
I see no way to downgrade UD

…….

Over at the primary Tower I can access the smb shares just fine from Windows 10 (//TOWER) and just fine from Ubuntu (//192.168.x.xxx) 

I'm am uncertain what the next steps are --- this process has been rock stable for a long time up until today.

Thanks folks!

The latest version of Samba seems to have issues with discovery.  Turn on Netbios so Unraid can see the Tower device.   Or, use the Tower IP address.

Thanks dlandon!

Alas netbios was already enabled under smb for TOWER

Altering the TOWER2's UD mounts to use IP &

Altering the TOWER2's User scripts to use IP_Share from Tower_Share

Is again working

edit - holy cow the transfer is WAY faster using IP over NAME mounts!

Enjoy a case on me :)

Edited by landS
4 minutes ago, landS said:

Thanks dlandon!

Alas netbios was already enabled under smb for TOWER

Altering the TOWER2's UD mounts to use IP &

Altering the TOWER2's User scripts to use IP_Share from Tower_Share

Is again working

The only way I could get discovery working properly on all devices was to enable Netbios and WSD.

Hi All,

I have mounted a SMB share from my synology to unraid with UD. This works perfectly but the name of the share under user shares is like this:

afbeelding.png.68e52b9b4565a8a5d45009d3d7b58c8a.png

This will result in errors in my log files and causing samba to keep restarting.

Mar 26 10:35:18 Tower emhttpd: error: put_config_idx, 619: Invalid argument (22): fopen: /boot/config/shares/\\192.168.178.10\downloads.cfg
Mar 26 10:35:18 Tower emhttpd: Starting services...
Mar 26 10:35:18 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (63079): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart
Mar 26 10:35:20 Tower root: Starting Samba: /usr/sbin/smbd -D
Mar 26 10:35:20 Tower root: /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
Mar 26 10:35:20 Tower root: /usr/sbin/wsdd
Mar 26 10:35:20 Tower root: /usr/sbin/winbindd -D

I tried to change the name of the user share to remove the \ from it but the name keeps changing back, any idea how i can fix this?

Kind Regards,

Dion

2 minutes ago, Diondk said:

I have mounted a SMB share from my synology to unraid with UD. This works perfectly but the name of the share under user shares is like this

UD shares should not appear in user shares. I think you have something else creating a top level folder by that name on some disk.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

You do have a .cfg file by that name (or similar, can't say for sure due to anonymizing). The file is on flash in the config/shares folder. Diagnostics says that share has no files, but diagnostics might be having trouble with that name also.

Delete that file from your flash drive, reboot, and post new diagnostics.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

If I had to guess, I would say you have done that with a docker mapping, so it might be a good idea to disable docker until you get this figured out.

I have it working now, i had one container still having the wrong mount.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Diondk
On 3/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, dlandon said:

The latest version of Samba seems to have issues with discovery.  Turn on Netbios so Unraid can see the Tower device.   Or, use the Tower IP address.

Hi - sorry for being dense, but I think I'm having similar issues to IandS - but not similar luck in resolving the issues. I have 4 SMB shares from network HDDs on my Unraid server. They're all hosting media that my dockers access. Up until about a week ago, they all mounted with no issues and everything worked flawlessly. Now, 3 of the 4 won't auto-mount and won't mount manually. The other one is still working, and I can't figure out what's different about them. 2 of the SMB shares are WD MyCloud network hard drives, and the other 2 SMB shares are QNAP NAS units.

Under the SMB shares section, source is IP (for example... //10.0.0.206/Public) and Mount Point is 10.0.0.206_Public.

I just updated firmware on all network storage devices and made sure plugins are up-to-date on Unraid as well.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide!

17 minutes ago, tigervol said:

Hi - sorry for being dense, but I think I'm having similar issues to IandS - but not similar luck in resolving the issues. I have 4 SMB shares from network HDDs on my Unraid server. They're all hosting media that my dockers access. Up until about a week ago, they all mounted with no issues and everything worked flawlessly. Now, 3 of the 4 won't auto-mount and won't mount manually. The other one is still working, and I can't figure out what's different about them. 2 of the SMB shares are WD MyCloud network hard drives, and the other 2 SMB shares are QNAP NAS units.

Under the SMB shares section, source is IP (for example... //10.0.0.206/Public) and Mount Point is 10.0.0.206_Public.

I just updated firmware on all network storage devices and made sure plugins are up-to-date on Unraid as well.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide!

There has been a change to UD where passwords are now encrypted.  Remove the SMB shares and re-create them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

There has been a change to UD where passwords are now encrypted.  Remove the SMB shares and re-create them.

Always something stupid simple. I tried deleting and re-adding the shares several times, but since I was accessing the Public (non-password protected) share, I didn't enter username/password information. Re-entered with login information and it worked no problem. Thanks for the super quick response! All good now!

Hi, I am new to Unraid and UD. I found UD very useful, but I encounterd two problems. These two problems have bothered me for two days.

My system is Unraid 6.8.2, and UD is the latest version 2020.03.28.

1. I have mounted a disk, and I can visit the disk from /mnt/disks/, but I cannot see the disk on Windows 10 with the path \\Tower. I have searched a lot, but I still don't know where to config.

Picpick_0402_000.jpg.8510fc764971f7060693e0cab51b5bde.jpg

2. To solve the first problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled UD over and over again yesterday. At last, I found some warnings on the Main page:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1107
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1290

Picpick_0402_001.thumb.jpg.6a32cecfe8fe2f4485549ed0af46a9cd.jpg

Picpick_0402_003.thumb.jpg.5d26c9d73d7e1c9405769acc45383a61.jpg

So I reinstalled Unraid today, after that I installed UD, but the warning remain there. I have completely no idea what to do now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20200402-0021.zip

4 minutes ago, bluer said:

I have mounted a disk, and I can visit the disk from /mnt/disks/, but I cannot see the disk on Windows 10 with the path \\Tower. I have searched a lot, but I still don't know where to config

Settings - Unassigned Devices 

15 minutes ago, bluer said:

So I reinstalled Unraid today, after that I installed UD, but the warning remain there. I have completely no idea what to do now.

You are wasting your time doing this over and over.

Remove the UD plugin and then delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder using Windows.  Then re-install UD and start over with UD device configuration.  Somehow you have a disk or disks assigned as SMB Remote Mounts.  Also, don't set a mount point to 'disks'.  Each device should have a unique mount point name.  It should not be 'disks'.

Take it slow and do one thing at a time and sort out any issues before going to the next.

Go to UD settings to setup how the UD devices are shared with SMB.  i.e. Who has what permissions on UD shares.

New Unraid user here. I'm trying to mount the top-level of my Synology using UD so I can transfer everything over to Unraid. In Windows (using the admin user), I can access this as \\Diskstation. When I try to use UD to mount my Synology, it won't let me mount the top-level, it only shows the individual shares (e.g., \\Diskstation\Media, \\Diskstation\User1, \\Diskstation\User2, \\Diskstation\Shared). Is there a way to mount the top-level directory so I can access all of the shares accessible to the admin user (i.e., everything)?

7 minutes ago, splerman said:

In Windows (using the admin user), I can access this as \\Diskstation

Can you actually map a drive that way in Windows? Or does it just appear in the network as \\Diskstation?

No doubt your Unraid shows up in Windows as \\tower or however you have named it also, but that is not the same as actually having a mount, that is just a reference to another computer on the network.

1 hour ago, splerman said:

New Unraid user here. I'm trying to mount the top-level of my Synology using UD so I can transfer everything over to Unraid. In Windows (using the admin user), I can access this as \\Diskstation. When I try to use UD to mount my Synology, it won't let me mount the top-level, it only shows the individual shares (e.g., \\Diskstation\Media, \\Diskstation\User1, \\Diskstation\User2, \\Diskstation\Shared). Is there a way to mount the top-level directory so I can access all of the shares accessible to the admin user (i.e., everything)?

You can mount a server's shares, but you cannot mount the 'server'.  Windows has a network browser that shows the server that allows you to then browse the server's shares.  UD does not have that capability.

19 hours ago, dlandon said:

You are wasting your time doing this over and over.

Remove the UD plugin and then delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ folder using Windows.  Then re-install UD and start over with UD device configuration.  Somehow you have a disk or disks assigned as SMB Remote Mounts.  Also, don't set a mount point to 'disks'.  Each device should have a unique mount point name.  It should not be 'disks'.

Take it slow and do one thing at a time and sort out any issues before going to the next.

Go to UD settings to setup how the UD devices are shared with SMB.  i.e. Who has what permissions on UD shares.

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't know what to do with UD device configuration. I just re-installed UD, and it remains the same.

I did not set a mount point, I even don't know where to set. It came to /mnt/disks/{disk name by default.

Sorry for the troubles.

5 hours ago, bluer said:

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't know what to do with UD device configuration. I just re-installed UD, and it remains the same.

I did not set a mount point, I even don't know where to set. It came to /mnt/disks/{disk name by default.

Sorry for the troubles.

Did you delete the folder as I asked?

Edited by dlandon
9 hours ago, dlandon said:

Did you delete the folder as I asked?

Yes, I did, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I even reinstalled Unraid before, and it's the same. So I wonder if I need to config somewhere.

I also mounted a NFS foler, they were all mounted to paths like this:

/mnt/disks/192.168.x.x_{directory name}

/mnt/disks/{disk name}

Edited by bluer
  • trurl pinned this topic