Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 minutes ago, Maggi0r said:

Thanks for the feedback

On another note

Apr  8 15:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk2 (OCZ-VERTEX3_OCZ-2AX8ITI487T12VZD) is an SSD.

You have an SSD in the parity array. Not recommended for several reasons. But since you have no parity some of those reasons don't currently apply. Still, it can't be trimmed. Why don't you assign it as cache? That is the configuration you will want going forward.

So I have now deleted the SMB again and added new. And it says auto-mount. But then I don't press the button for Mount and the lamp is gray in the front

Thanks for the info with the SSD, that was clear to me but at the moment only my test system. In the later system, the SSD or the one intended for it comes in as a cache.

There is one question you can not operate SSD in the array. I would like to put my VMS there later.

Regards Maggi

Turmdiagnostik-20200408-2006.zip

1 minute ago, Maggi0r said:

There is one question you can not operate SSD in the array. I would like to put my VMS there later.

You want your VMs on cache. One of the reasons you don't want SSDs in the array is because their write speed will be impacted by parity updates just like with any disk in the array, but in the case of SSDs you have basically wasted the SSD speed.

Still not seeing anything in syslog about mounting that remote. Whether or not it is automount isn't really that relevant to getting it to work. That is just so it will automount when the array is started. You need to get it to mount before automount can do anything.

You just need to push the Mount button.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Still not seeing anything in syslog about mounting that remote. Whether or not it is automount isn't really that relevant to getting it to work. That is just so it will automount when the array is started. You need to get it to mount before automount can do anything.

You just need to push the Mount button.

I think he tried

Apr  8 20:05:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing configuration '//192.168.1.13/storj'.

Completely separated from the rest of the syslog by 4 hours.  It isn't logging the attempt to mount, hence my ping to dlandon...

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

I think he tried

Apr  8 20:05:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing configuration '//192.168.1.13/storj'.

Completely separated from the rest of the syslog by 4 hours.  It isn't logging the attempt to mount, hence my ping to dlandon...

That is from a delete of the remote share, not an attempt to mount or unmount the share.

37 minutes ago, Squid said:

@dlandon  Why isn't UD logging the mount attempt for @Maggi0r?

From the log it is/was not set to auto mount:

Apr  8 15:00:44 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS mount '//192.168.1.13/storj' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted.

I don't see in the log any attempt to try to mount the share.  @Squid you know the routine.  UD runs through the different SMB version mounts until the share mounts.  I see none of that in the log

3 minutes ago, Maggi0r said:

Hmm, I don't really get it. Unfortunately, I don't know why he doesn't log this.

Mounts are all logged.  I haven't seen in your log any attempt to auto mount or manual mount - click the 'Mount' button to manual mount.  Auto mount only applies when the server is started manually or rebooted.

Edited by dlandon

The 'Mount' buton is grayed out because UD does not think the remote server is on-line.  UD tests the server by sending a 'ping'.  Your remote server must be configured to respond to a ping.  This is probably a configurable setting on the remote server.

Edited by dlandon

Good morning, that was a good tip. With the accessibility via ping or ICMP. This works now I can press the mount button but it is not attached. After a short time it is back on Mount.

Again briefly to the question about or in the future the SSDs. I would love to use the SSDs only for the VMs because of the speed. What is the best way to proceed?

Regards Maggi

tower-diagnostics-20200409-0709.zip

1 hour ago, Maggi0r said:

Again briefly to the question about or in the future the SSDs. I would love to use the SSDs only for the VMs because of the speed. What is the best way to proceed?

Set your SSD as a cache drive.  Optionally install CA Backup plugin to make sure your VMs are periodically backed up to the array.  You'd be better off raising off-topic questions in General Support though, as it'll not dilute app--specific topics and get more coverage.  Also recommend viewing a range of Spaceinvader One's videos on YouTube.

4 hours ago, Maggi0r said:

Good morning, that was a good tip. With the accessibility via ping or ICMP. This works now I can press the mount button but it is not attached. After a short time it is back on Mount.

Regards Maggi

tower-diagnostics-20200409-0709.zip 70.21 kB · 0 downloads

Check your log when you have issues for a quicker answer:

Apr  9 07:06:52 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.1.13/storj' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '

Your credentials are a problem.  Try to stay away from special characters.

Ah thanks now I got it done thanks.

I created the SMB again and now I could mount it.

However, this is not possible now. I had thought that I would create a Windows VM where the VDISK is on the unRaid and then I create another VDISK which is then on the share.

If I add the VDISK to the VM and click on Update it says Updating all the time but nothing happens.
If I look at the SMB share then the VM is also created but with 0 KB.

Regards Maggi

Windows 10 2te VDISK.PNG

Windows 10 VM anlegen steht.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20200409-1343.zip

When I mount an nfs share, the remote directory gets permissions changed to 0777. Since I am mounting my home folder (/home/myname), this screws up SSH authentication on my remote Ubuntu server, since it only works if the home folder is 0755. Right now I have to manually invoke chmod each time after Unassigned Devices mounts the directory.

• Like 1

***SOLVED**** 

I am currently running an extended preclear on some drives that I am going to shuck.  However, I am getting the following error in my logs thousands of times in a row.

/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token

Any idea what it means?

Edited by dubbly

hi dlandon,

Thanks for maintaining this plugin, it's amazing the functionality it provides!

I didn't see if there was a feature request for this already, but I was hoping you could offer functionality for different temperature thresholds?  I have a SSD as an unassigned device, which runs hotter than my spinning disks, and often get numerous warnings about excessive temperature and such.

Thanks again for your work on this plugin, it's been an absolute life saver!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ogi said:

I have a SSD as an unassigned device, which runs hotter than my spinning disks, and often get numerous warnings about excessive temperature and such.

It's been requested before, for now the usual workaround is to set the higher temps in the general settings, then set lower temps for each array device.

• Like 1
  • trurl pinned this topic