Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

10 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It's been requested before, for now the usual workaround is to set the higher temps in the general settings, then set lower temps for each array device.

Figured this had been requested before, with 167 pages in the thread, and the search results for "temperature" was still at least 3 pages.... was hard to determine what the current status is.

Thanks for the suggested workaround!

I'm having some issue where I would like to mount a Remote SMB (from my Synology) so I can set up some rclone scripts to do backup but I don't want this mount to be shared by Unraid (since it's already shared by Synology). I thought this was possible since it was mentioned in the first page but I can't seem to find the mentioned 'Share' switch.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!

When devices and SMB Mounts are mounted, they are mounted at /mnt/disks/.  They are not a part of the Unraid array and are not mounted at /mnt/disk/ which is for Unraid disk drives.  As an example, you have a device named 'MyDisk'.  When it is mounted, it is accessed locally at /mnt/disks/MyDisk.  If you want to use 'MyDisk' in a Docker you would refer to it by '/mnt/disks/MyDisk'.  It is not automatically shared at '\\Tower\MyDisk'.

To share 'MyDrisk', you would turn on the 'Share' switch for the drive and 'MyDisk' would be shared at '\\Tower\MyDisk'.  The share 'MyDisk' is not accessed at /mnt/user/MyDisk' because it is not an Unraid user share.

Capture.JPG

46 minutes ago, hththt said:

I'm having some issue where I would like to mount a Remote SMB (from my Synology) so I can set up some rclone scripts to do backup but I don't want this mount to be shared by Unraid (since it's already shared by Synology). I thought this was possible since it was mentioned in the first page but I can't seem to find the mentioned 'Share' switch.

Remote SMB mounts are always shared.  The only thing you can do is control the permissions with UD settings.

I have an issue where SMB mounts to my Drobo are not allowing writes.

This has been working for years with no issues.

Mounting the same share with the same username and password on the drobo from Mac, Windows and RasPi (Raspbian) are all fine.

If i manually do the cifs mount without the vers=3.0 in the command line I can write to the share successfully.

Was vers=3 added to the mount command in UD recently? Or has it become a default in UnRaid Recently?

11 hours ago, wuftymerguftyguff said:

I have an issue where SMB mounts to my Drobo are not allowing writes.

This has been working for years with no issues.

Mounting the same share with the same username and password on the drobo from Mac, Windows and RasPi (Raspbian) are all fine.

If i manually do the cifs mount without the vers=3.0 in the command line I can write to the share successfully.

Was vers=3 added to the mount command in UD recently? Or has it become a default in UnRaid Recently?

UD for quite a while has been mounting SMB mounts by attempting to mount them using SMB3, SMB2, and then SMB1.  The idea is to mount the remote share with the highest security the remote server will support.  If the remote server will mount the share using SMB3, then the server should support reads and writes.  You can force UD to only mount SMB mounts with SMB1 in the UD settings to get past this issue.  Keep in mind that SMB1 is not as secure as either SMB3 or SMB2.

Hi,

Thanks for your attention.

I understand but what I am seeing is slightly different.  Forcing smb v1 does not work either.

If there is ANY value in the vers= option then I can’t write.

If I take the mount command from syslog and just remove the vers option it negotiates the highest compatible smb version with the server and I can write.

Jeff

37 minutes ago, wuftymerguftyguff said:

Hi,

Thanks for your attention.

I understand but what I am seeing is slightly different.  Forcing smb v1 does not work either.

If there is ANY value in the vers= option then I can’t write.

If I take the mount command from syslog and just remove the vers option it negotiates the highest compatible smb version with the server and I can write.

Jeff

The 'vers=' option was added in UD to deal specfically with some security issues and remote servers that would not mount properly without the 'sec=' command set properly.

If the remote server mounts the share but does not permit writting, it sounds like an issue with the remote server.  The 'vers=' CIFS mount option is standard and the remote server needs to handle it properly.  Maybe the remote server needs an update?

On 2/9/2019 at 4:19 AM, x64 said:

Again, they add to the array fine and preclear fine. The only area I'm not seeing them is in UD.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

I've got the same issue, its the plugin at some level missing them.

I can add the unassigned disks to the array, i just cant see them with the plugin.

I've learned to just live with it!

On 4/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, golli53 said:

When I mount an nfs share, the remote directory gets permissions changed to 0777. Since I am mounting my home folder (/home/myname), this screws up SSH authentication on my remote Ubuntu server, since it only works if the home folder is 0755. Right now I have to manually invoke chmod each time after Unassigned Devices mounts the directory.

@dlandon just trying to understand whether this is a bug in unRAID or Unassigned Devices, so I can direct issue management - thanks in advance

9 hours ago, golli53 said:

@dlandon just trying to understand whether this is a bug in unRAID or Unassigned Devices, so I can direct issue management - thanks in advance

It's not a bug.  UD mounts the remote share with the permissions set to 777.  If you need that set differently, set up a default script on the share and do a chmod when the remote share mounts.

Hi all, I'm trying to connect to a remote NFS share that has a specific username / password.  I've seen this question asked multiple times, but each time someone says they don't know the answer, or completely ignore the question.  I've been scouring this thread for 90 minutes so far and haven't found any answer.

So, does anyone know how to use the unassigned devices plugin, to specify connecting to NFS with a username / password?

Of course I could use fstab, but I'd prefer not, I have no idea if that survives a reboot or not either.  And of course that would mean I have a plain text password showing.

Many thanks,

Marshalleq

7 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Hi all, I'm trying to connect to a remote NFS share that has a specific username / password.  I've seen this question asked multiple times, but each time someone says they don't know the answer, or completely ignore the question.  I've been scouring this thread for 90 minutes so far and haven't found any answer.

So, does anyone know how to use the unassigned devices plugin, to specify connecting to NFS with a username / password?

Of course I could use fstab, but I'd prefer not, I have no idea if that survives a reboot or not either.  And of course that would mean I have a plain text password showing.

Many thanks,

Marshalleq

UD will mount the NFS share without you entering the user name and password.

@dlandon thanks for your answer, I get where you're going with it, but in my case UD wasn't mounting the NFS share, so at first your response seems unhelpful, though technically it's correct.  And this is the problem throughout this thread when this question is asked, no-one really ever answers the question.  So after my research I thought I'd help others by answering it here.

Main Point

As far as I know, NFS doesn't support username password.  Instead it will mount anything and handle permissions via the UID/GID match of the local and foreign accounts.  

There seem to be two cases where this becomes impossible though:

1 - When a 3rd party has assigned you an NFS share and hasn't used the mapall option

2 - When a 3rd party has assigned you an NFS share and hasn't shared which UID it's under

So in summary a functioning NFS setup obviously relies on a functioning network and correctly set up NFS export at the other end, which the 3rd party has now resolved for me.

I effectively had both of those.  And just to add one for good measure, even though I confirmed NFS client connects on the firewall, if I connect across my firewall from a client I get "server <IPADDRESS> requires stronger authentication”.

As far as I know the firewall is completely opened up to this host and I am still to resolve this one, but it just goes to show that the error messages aren't always very accurate.

Hope it's helpful to someone.

Marshalleq

On 4/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, alexdodd said:

I've got the same issue, its the plugin at some level missing them.

I can add the unassigned disks to the array, i just cant see them with the plugin.

I've learned to just live with it!

Post diagnostics so we can see the issue.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, dlandon said:

It's not a bug.  UD mounts the remote share with the permissions set to 777.  If you need that set differently, set up a default script on the share and do a chmod when the remote share mounts.

Gotcha. It seemed aggressive for it to change remote permissions by default, as this affects permissions locally on the remote server. For instance, for any home share, this will break SSH authentication for all clients to that remote server. Any read-only permissions would also be permanently changed for all clients. I'll use a script as a workaround - thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by golli53

Hi!
So I'm moving both my storage servers from MS Server2016 to Unraid 6.8.3. I have copied all of my data from server1 over on individual 2TB NTFS formated disks, and now I am trying to copy the data back to the array under Unraid. I am having issues with 1 of the 4 disks. Under the FS field, it's showing as zfs_member, not NTFS. This disk has never been anywhere near a Linux-box or a zfs array. I can mount the 3 other disks just fine, but I cannot mount the last one.

the output from fdisk -l /dev/sdh:

root@UNRAID01:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdh
Disk /dev/sdh: 1.84 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk model: ST2000NM0011    
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 9B39AF2E-29EA-11EA-96D2-4CCC6AB01B6B

Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdh1      34     262177     262144  128M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sdh2  264192 3907028991 3906764800  1.8T Microsoft basic data

Can anyone tell me how to fix the situation?

zfs_member.jpg

16 hours ago, TrondHjertager said:

Hi!
So I'm moving both my storage servers from MS Server2016 to Unraid 6.8.3. I have copied all of my data from server1 over on individual 2TB NTFS formated disks, and now I am trying to copy the data back to the array under Unraid. I am having issues with 1 of the 4 disks. Under the FS field, it's showing as zfs_member, not NTFS. This disk has never been anywhere near a Linux-box or a zfs array. I can mount the 3 other disks just fine, but I cannot mount the last one.

the output from fdisk -l /dev/sdh:

root@UNRAID01:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdh
Disk /dev/sdh: 1.84 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk model: ST2000NM0011    
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 9B39AF2E-29EA-11EA-96D2-4CCC6AB01B6B

Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdh1      34     262177     262144  128M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sdh2  264192 3907028991 3906764800  1.8T Microsoft basic data

Can anyone tell me how to fix the situation?

zfs_member.jpg

Try these things in order:

1. Remove pre-clear plugin.
  2. Put the disk in another computer and confirm the file format is indeed NTFS and files can be accessed.
  3. Post diagnostics.
Edited by dlandon
13 hours ago, dlandon said:

Try these things in order:

1. Remove pre-clear plugin.
  2. Put the disk in another computer and confirm the file format is indeed NTFS and files can be accessed.
  3. Post diagnostics.

I put the disk back into my windows server, and it works fine. Some diskpart-info listed under.

DISKPART> detail disk

ATA ST2000NM0011 SCSI Disk Device
Disk ID: {9B39AF2E-29EA-11EA-96D2-4CCC6AB01B6B}
Type   : SAS
Path   : 0
Target : 1
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0200)#PCI(0000)#SAS(P00T01L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : No
Pagefile Disk  : No
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
* Volume 1     F   DISK01       NTFS   Partition   1862 GB  Healthy

DISKPART> detail partition

Partition 2
Type    : ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7
Hidden  : No
Required: No
Attrib  : 0000000000000000
Offset in Bytes: 135266304

DISKPART> detail volume

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
* Disk 1    Online         1863 GB      0 B        *

Read-only              : No
Hidden                 : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy            : No
Offline                : No
BitLocker Encrypted    : No
Installable            : Yes

Volume Capacity        : 1862 GB
Volume Free Space      :    9 GB

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
  Partition 2    Primary           1862 GB   129 MB

I have also removed the preclear plugin and booted the unraid system before removing the disk, that did nothing. What diagnostics do you need? I am new to Unraid, so I am not overly familiar with it's capabilities.

21 minutes ago, TrondHjertager said:

I put the disk back into my windows server, and it works fine. Some diskpart-info listed under.

DISKPART> detail disk

ATA ST2000NM0011 SCSI Disk Device
Disk ID: {9B39AF2E-29EA-11EA-96D2-4CCC6AB01B6B}
Type   : SAS
Path   : 0
Target : 1
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0200)#PCI(0000)#SAS(P00T01L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : No
Pagefile Disk  : No
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No

DISKPART> detail partition

Partition 2
Type    : ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7
Hidden  : No
Required: No
Attrib  : 0000000000000000
Offset in Bytes: 135266304

DISKPART> detail volume

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
* Disk 1    Online         1863 GB      0 B        *

Read-only              : No
Hidden                 : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy            : No
Offline                : No
BitLocker Encrypted    : No
Installable            : Yes

Volume Capacity        : 1862 GB
Volume Free Space      :    9 GB

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
  Partition 2    Primary           1862 GB   129 MB

I have also removed the preclear plugin and booted the unraid system before removing the disk, that did nothing. What diagnostics do you need? I am new to Unraid, so I am not overly familiar with it's capabilities.

Click on the '+' by the disk serial number and see if both partitions show.  I think you'll see the second NTFS partition.

• trurl pinned this topic