Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

3 minutes ago, Rik Bignell said:

I’m posting as Rik Bignell

That's your fault ;) 

3 minutes ago, Rik Bignell said:

anonymising the data

Diagnostics are anonymized by default, and there is nothing personally identifiable within them (WAN IP addresses, passwords, share names, email addresses, etc)

Hey,

I'm having an issue whereby it looks as if my plex docker container is firing up before an Unassigned Device NFS share is mounting upon a reboot of my unraid box. At least, this is what I assume happened. Restarting the docker resolves the issue.

I'm wondering what the solution would be here, or if this is a different issue.. does anyone have a previous resolution to this, or can help out?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cadr said:

Hey,

I'm having an issue whereby it looks as if my plex docker container is firing up before an Unassigned Device NFS share is mounting upon a reboot of my unraid box. At least, this is what I assume happened. Restarting the docker resolves the issue.

I'm wondering what the solution would be here, or if this is a different issue.. does anyone have a previous resolution to this, or can help out?

Thanks!

If you think that is the issue, set a start time delay on your docker.

4 hours ago, Cadr said:

I'm wondering what the solution would be here,

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Keep in mind the container time delay you set is how long the system waits to start the NEXT container on the docker page. So to delay the plex container, set a time delay on the container immediately above plex. You can change the start order by dragging the containers up and down.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Keep in mind the container time delay you set is how long the system waits to start the NEXT container on the docker page. So to delay the plex container, set a time delay on the container immediately above plex. You can change the start order by dragging the containers up and down.

I only have a single docker container running on this machine at the moment.. so I'm assuming the delay isn't an option for me..

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Are you using a slave Access Mode for the mapping?

I am, yeah..

Is using something like autofs an option?

8 hours ago, Cadr said:

I only have a single docker container running on this machine at the moment.. so I'm assuming the delay isn't an option for me..

What I do is have the cAdvisor container starting first, with a 300 second wait. cAdvisor is a handy dashboard for container stats, it doesn't consume hardly any resources, and is handy for troubleshooting.

If you absolutely can't install cAdvisor for some reason, then set your plex container not to auto start, and manually fire it off after the array comes up.

New release of UD.  Highlights:

• I've done a lot to clean up the UI and added some error processing for robustness.  This will provide more user feedback when there are issues.
  • I fixed some things that have been bothering me for a long time.
  • You'll notice some switch options removed that did not apply.  For example, automount pertains to disk and not individual partitions.  This is more noticeable with disks with multiple partitions.  There were also some issues with partition scripts all using the same script.
  • I've added an option in UD settings to keep from spinning down disks.  When set to not spin down, UD will not set the spin down timer when a disk is mounted or unmounted.
  • Added some icons to the help text to make it clearer.
  • Shred and delete temp files used for credentials immediately after use.  These files are used to pass credentials to some Linux commands. This keeps sensitive data from being shown in the log when the commands are shown in the log.

This issue happened before the last update.

My disks keep dropping off after a reboot, it goes into missing each time.

Was working for the past few months without issue.

It's connected via USB, not SATA.

I can remove it from 'missing' - format it, and have it working again, but that's not ideal after each reboot.

I have since uninstalled the plugin, rebooted server, installed again - same issue. 

Thanks for your excellent plugin!

Untitled.png

On 5/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, phrozen087 said:

Were you able to get this to work? I have 2 Samsung 970 NVME drives that consistently run in the 40-45C range as Unassigned Devices to hold my VM images, so I manually went in and set all of my spinning disks to have have 40C warning/ 45C critical and then changed my global disk setting (Settings->Disk Settings-> Default warning disk temp and Default critical disk temp) to 65C warning and 70C critical.

I still see warnings whenever I log into my server that one of the NVMEs was running in the 45-50C range, which is pretty common during VM disk images backups.  I've tried changing this up and down thinking maybe its not sticking, but it seems like the temps for my unassigned devices are stuck at the default temperatures from when unraid installed and aren't observing the values in this setting. Wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong here, or if there was an easy fix I was just missing?

I just implemented the suggested work around, I set the temperature limits for the hottest running drive, and set temperature limits for my array disks individually. 

I have a problem with mounted remote shares "going limp". I have no better way of describing this. I have two file servers, and one of them runs plex as a docker. The other one has three SMB shares, media, movies and series. These three shares have been mounted on the server running plex with unassigned devices. Randomly it seems just to "zone out". In the main screen I can see the mounted shares, and they show up as mounted, but the size, used and free columns just shows 0B free. I can still view media on plex from these shares, but I won't scan them for more media contend. So when I add more content, the content won't get imported before I unmount and remount the shares. I also cannot browse these shares with krusader while they are "limp". I am new to unraid and linux, so I might have done something wrong. I will attach screengrabs of the shares and my plex config. Oh...and they are mounted by using windows AD credentials if that has some significance.

data_config_plex.png

limp.png

ok.png

Edited by TrondHjertager
On 5/27/2020 at 7:04 AM, TrondHjertager said:

I have a problem with mounted remote shares "going limp". I have no better way of describing this. I have two file servers, and one of them runs plex as a docker. The other one has three SMB shares, media, movies and series. These three shares have been mounted on the server running plex with unassigned devices. Randomly it seems just to "zone out". In the main screen I can see the mounted shares, and they show up as mounted, but the size, used and free columns just shows 0B free. I can still view media on plex from these shares, but I won't scan them for more media contend. So when I add more content, the content won't get imported before I unmount and remount the shares. I also cannot browse these shares with krusader while they are "limp". I am new to unraid and linux, so I might have done something wrong. I will attach screengrabs of the shares and my plex config. Oh...and they are mounted by using windows AD credentials if that has some significance.

data_config_plex.png

limp.png

ok.png

Now I cannot even unmount and remount it :( Now I have to stop the plex docker, then remount it.

Edited by TrondHjertager

Hi,

i have an issue. I'm unable to mount some drives. They are formatted as ext4.

I've this error message:

Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ext4 -o rw,auto,noatime,nodiratime,async,nodev,nosuid '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/series2'
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/series2: /dev/sdf1 already mounted or mount point busy. 
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Partition '1426-15266' could not be mounted.

but the drive is not mounted.

I have another drive formatted also in ext4 which is set to automount and is working fine.

I tried to mount the  drive in a terminal with the same result.

godzilla-diagnostics-20200527-1101.zip

1 hour ago, caplam said:

Hi,

i have an issue. I'm unable to mount some drives. They are formatted as ext4.

I've this error message:

Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ext4 -o rw,auto,noatime,nodiratime,async,nodev,nosuid '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/series2'
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/series2: /dev/sdf1 already mounted or mount point busy. 
May 27 09:56:02 godzilla unassigned.devices: Partition '1426-15266' could not be mounted.

but the drive is not mounted.

I have another drive formatted also in ext4 which is set to automount and is working fine.

I tried to mount the  drive in a terminal with the same result.

godzilla-diagnostics-20200527-1101.zip 206.93 kB · 1 download

Get into a terminal session and show the results of 'ls /mnt/dksks/'.

result is:

ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F2CT9T/  WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E4AT7LRU/

these are the 2 automounted drives.

edit: yesterday i was able to mount the other disks except for the 2 ntfs disks but the partitions were not ok.

I also have a ext4 formatted disk i have not be able to mount at all. I'm told the superblock is not present. For this disk i'm currently running testdisk.

Edited by caplam

i may have a clue but still don't understand why it's happening.

The disks listed above are in jbod sas enclosure (except the 3Tb one which is usb).

Yesterday i had a fan problem on the main enclosure. I had to shutdown to see the fan and find a replacement. 

I didn't touch the external enclosure which stay powered (i don't even know if you can "reboot" the enclosure when the hba restart).

So i unplugged and replugged disks which couldn't not be mounted and know i can mount them.

I knew the enclosure has to be powered when the server boots but i didn't imagine i had to power cycle the enclosure when rebooting the server.

If someone has the true explanation i would hear it. 😀

Hey,

Noob question here.  I have an ssd set up in UD, and am able to get it to mount.  However, I cannot get the pass thru function to work.  If I have the drive mounted and toggled the pass thru function to on, it will toggle back.  If I unmount the drive, then pass thru is toggled on but Mount is greyed out.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Mount.jpg

Pass Thru.jpg

5 minutes ago, chester51 said:

Hey,

Noob question here.  I have an ssd set up in UD, and am able to get it to mount.  However, I cannot get the pass thru function to work.  If I have the drive mounted and toggled the pass thru function to on, it will toggle back.  If I unmount the drive, then pass thru is toggled on but Mount is greyed out.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Mount.jpg

Pass Thru.jpg

On 1/21/2016 at 10:55 AM, dlandon said:

If you want to pass a device to a VM or Docker, set the 'Pass Through' switch to on.  This will insure that UD does not try to mount the disk.  You can then pass it to a VM or Docker.  Unassigned devices will show it as connected and unmounted after you pass it through to the VM or Docker.

1 hour ago, marshy919 said:

Take a look at these issues in the log:

May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application Deezloader-Remix has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application nzbhydra2 has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application radarr has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application readarr has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application resilio-sync has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 25 14:26:02 919 root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application transmission has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option