Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 minutes ago, bombz said:

I will use SSH to 'umount' for the time being. Seems to work just fine. Weird that I can't via the GUI. Maybe a disk issue, I am puzzled.

The reason the disk 'Unmount' is grayed is because the first partition is not mounted.  The second partition 'Unmount' is grayed out because of a recent change I made that caused that.  Update to the latest version of UD and the second partition 'Unmount' will be active.

It should look like this:

MountButtons.thumb.png.f1d84d4d5c3973a82f522faefe653d00.png

You have to unmount the second partition by clicking on the 'Unmount' button for that partition.

This happens when a multi partiton disk does not have all the partitions mounted, especially the first partition because the disk 'Unmount' button status is based on the first partition.  There have been several recent changes that have made this happen.

10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The reason the disk 'Unmount' is grayed is because the first partition is not mounted.  The second partition 'Unmount' is grayed out because of a recent change I made that caused that.  Update to the latest version of UD and the second partition 'Unmount' will be active.

It should look like this:

MountButtons.thumb.png.f1d84d4d5c3973a82f522faefe653d00.png

You have to unmount the second partition by clicking on the 'Unmount' button for that partition.

This happens when a multi partiton disk does not have all the partitions mounted, especially the first partition because the disk 'Unmount' button status is based on the first partition.  There have been several recent changes that have made this happen.

Awesome man!
This is great info and good work on your part. I will be attaching another disk soon as I am cleaning up disk currently. I have updated UD as per your recommendation. 
Appreciate the insight and assistance!

20 minutes ago, bombz said:

Awesome man!
This is great info and good work on your part. I will be attaching another disk soon as I am cleaning up disk currently. I have updated UD as per your recommendation. 
Appreciate the insight and assistance!

The first partition does not have a file system.  If you could delete that partition, it would be a lot cleaner in UD, or as you mentioned, re-format the drive.

Is there a wiki/online faq somewhere?  

Ok I give up - I need some help.  I want to use One Unassigned devices drive as my downloads folder.  In that folder it can be kept in its original state or reencoded and set up to get put in the array but it has to stay out of the array.  RN its in the cache but I don't like how the cache operates when there's multiple disks.   

So I got the SSD to show up through explorer but I can't write to it (I need to move the files from where it is now to the new drive.   Do I need to enable passthrough for that or am I going the wrong way.   The drive log is showing like this - 

Jun 13 19:40:40 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/SATA_SSD_20050610241806'

so it's got read/write access, right?   What am I doing wrong here?  

Edited by cbr600ds2
9 hours ago, MattC69 said:

Hi, 

Would anyone mind sharing a step by step guide on how to setup backups using unassigned devices and rsync? 

I am not too good with scripts so ideally an example would help. 

Thanks 

There is an example for backups in the first post of this forum.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I'll check it out. It was working when I was using the cache as the downloads folder so I didn't think my issue was there. When I moved to UD is the hiccup - hence my post on here.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I am set up for RW/Slave in the downloads folder...

Edited by cbr600ds2
1 hour ago, cbr600ds2 said:

I am set up for RW/Slave in the downloads folder...

Are the dockers able to download to the UD folder?

On 6/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, cbr600ds2 said:

I need to move the files from where it is now to the new drive

Is your question just about how to move files from the previous downloads folder to the UD downloads folder?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are the dockers able to download to the UD folder?

Testing it right now but it doesn't seem to be connecting now.. it adds a file just fine but not connecting to the tracker 

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Is your question just about how to move files from the previous downloads folder to the UD downloads folder?

Yeah so it lets me write to the UD - folder but if I want to move the files to the completed folder in that drive it says I don't have access.   I can't even find the disk through krusader to try that.   back to the drawing board.  

Hi,

Been using Unassigned Devices for a long time with no issues, just (cleanly) rebooted my server because of the NICS was stuck in a hardware loop and now one of the SSDs in Unassigned Devices is only giving the option to Format rather than Mount, it was working fine before the restart.

Is there a way of getting this back?

Thanks

1651461629_Screenshot2020-06-16at10_27_53.png.a948e73b832b8474a8a5d4252ebad087.png

1 hour ago, PR. said:

Hi,

Been using Unassigned Devices for a long time with no issues, just (cleanly) rebooted my server because of the NICS was stuck in a hardware loop and now one of the SSDs in Unassigned Devices is only giving the option to Format rather than Mount, it was working fine before the restart.

Is there a way of getting this back?

Thanks

1651461629_Screenshot2020-06-16at10_27_53.png.a948e73b832b8474a8a5d4252ebad087.png

Unraid (Linux) is not recognizing a valid file system on the disk.  @johnnie.black may be able to offer some steps to try to determine the problem with the file partition and system.

I get the following error running that command

mount: /x: special device /dev/sdh1 does not exist.

I did try running the same command with just 'sdh' rather than 'sdh1' and got the following

mount: /x: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdh, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Thanks

Edited by PR.
4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That means the partition is gone, it was either deleted or it could be an SSD problem, despite still appearing healthy on SMART.

Thanks for that, the SSDs are quite old but had been running fine for the last month or so. Just glad I set up a VM backup script last weekend!

24 minutes ago, pleaseLearnToUseTerminal said:

hi,

is it normal for new mounted drives (external) to not show up on the main dashboard tab in the 'unassigned ' area?

It only appears after a reboot of unraid (and don't want to do that so often)

Thx

geat plugin btw

Not sure if you mean the "Main" or the "Dashboard" tab? Regardless I'm seeing any devices mounted by UD on both of these tabs. The full drive details aren't shown on the "Dashboard" tab, just the assigned drive device mountpoint. The "Main" tab shows the full details.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, dlandon said:

You didn't get it quite right.  Delete /flash/config/plugins.unassigned.devices/*.cfg, then immediately reboot.  There are working copies in memory that will overwrite the ones on the flash unless you reboot right away.

Thank you for getting back to me!

I just tried this in the order you wrote it and the errors are still there after the reboot :(