Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, _rogue said:

I did a quick search of this thread and didn't see anything relevant so sorry if this has been asked before.

Can we have UD show the temp for zfs_member drives? It shows in the SMART info and just needs to be passed to the main page.

image.png.8403704fd6664e92f23fb33f612ed171.png

I need more information on what you are requesting.  Please show more of the UD page.  I'm assuming these are individual drives?

19 hours ago, Cpt. Chaz said:

hi all. I'm getting a weird disk error in a fairly new (couple months old) unassigned SSD. I haven't noticed any performance problems other than trim failing. here's the disk log output:

Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1704 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1704 Sense Key : 0x5 [current]
Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1704 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0
Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1704 CDB: opcode=0x42 42 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 18 00
Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: critical target error, dev sde, sector 1950394355
Jun 21 01:00:56 Kal-El kernel: BTRFS warning (device sde1): failed to trim 1 device(s), last error -121
Jun 21 03:47:43 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#711 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x00
Jun 21 03:47:43 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#711 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 37 11 b0 00 00 20 00
Jun 21 03:47:43 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sde, sector 3609008
Jun 21 04:54:20 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#2505 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x00
Jun 21 04:54:20 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#2505 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 01 6d 40 88 00 03 60 00
Jun 21 04:54:20 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sde, sector 23937160
Jun 21 11:24:34 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#2521 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x00
Jun 21 11:24:34 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#2521 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 04 46 5e 50 00 00 48 00
Jun 21 11:24:34 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sde, sector 71720528
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1491 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x00
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1491 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 e8 2a b8 00 01 40 00
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sde, sector 15215288
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1492 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1492 Sense Key : 0x2 [current]
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1492 ASC=0x4 ASCQ=0x2
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] tag#1492 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 04 4b b6 50 00 01 a0 00
Jun 21 11:52:55 Kal-El kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sde, sector 72070736
DONE

"critical target error" and "I/O error" certainly sound ominous. Running smart tests on the disk don't show any problems. Any ideas?

It looks like a cable issue.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I need more information on what you are requesting.  Please show more of the UD page.  I'm assuming these are individual drives?

image.thumb.png.80b83b0d30b4c3412ccc8a9fe1ac27a5.png

Yes these are individual drives as far as UD is concerned. They are in a ZFS mirror. Basically is it possible to get SMART attribute 194 to show under the temp column above?

image.thumb.png.265d1ee2cbb8019e55654b5105b23ba5.png

1 minute ago, _rogue said:

image.thumb.png.80b83b0d30b4c3412ccc8a9fe1ac27a5.png

Yes these are individual drives as far as UD is concerned. They are in a ZFS mirror. Basically is it possible to get SMART attribute 194 to show under the temp column above?

image.thumb.png.265d1ee2cbb8019e55654b5105b23ba5.png

Normally those are partitions on the same drive and temperatures would be redundant.  This is not a typical UD disk setup.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I see that.

I mis-read the screen shot.  You have those two disks marked as "Pass Thru".  Temperatures don't show when a disk is passed through.  The only thing shown is the file system and disk size.

Edited by dlandon
7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I mis-read the screen shot.  You have those two disks marked as "Pass Thru".  Temperatures don't show when a disk is passed through.  The only thing shown is the file system and disk size.

Yeah. So if I turned off passthrough I would get temp but run the risk of mounting the device and corrupting it?

On 6/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, AgentXXL said:

Not sure if you mean the "Main" or the "Dashboard" tab? Regardless I'm seeing any devices mounted by UD on both of these tabs. The full drive details aren't shown on the "Dashboard" tab, just the assigned drive device mountpoint. The "Main" tab shows the full details.

Hi,

indeed, I mean the mountpoint on the Dashboard. There the point is only visible after a reboot. The main tab is working like it should.

Ok, I am lost.

I was experimenting with passing through drives to a VM, I then removed then from the VM, deleted the VM and am trying to share them like I used to.

The issue is that all the drives that were passed through as now only being shared as read only, drives that were not passed through work fine.

I have restarted the server several times

I removed the configuration files for the drives by disconnecting them and clicking the X on historical devices

I changed all the read only, passthrough and other settings on and off again

I changed the unassinged devices share settings to all the different options, restarting samba between each one and restarting the whole server between many of them.

All the settings are setup exactly the same as when everything was working fine now but drives are still mounted read only??

I have no idea what else I could try or do. Is there a way to completely reset unassigned devices and all associated settings to stock?

EDIT: I just tried making a new folder with krusader and it is also read only there. So they are actually mounted as read only even though the config file on the flash drive doesn't have a read only line in it?

edit2: Found a fix that seems to work: https://askubuntu.com/questions/70281/why-does-my-ntfs-partition-mount-as-read-only

ntfsfix /dev/sdxX # where x is HDD and X is drive number, in my case it was /dev/sda1

Then unmount and remount the drive.

Apparently if the drives are not cleanly shutdown in windows, windows leaves files on the drive that prevent it from mounting as writable in linux.

The above command clears those files it seems.

Another little tip I found to help unassinged devices show up in SMB faster is to run

samba restart

from CLI and they will instantly show up.

Edited by TexasUnraid
6 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

Is there a way to completely reset unassigned devices and all associated settings to stock?

UD does not change anything from 'stock'.  It is only a way to manage unassigned disks.  All the UD settings apply only to UD.

Apparently if the drives are not cleanly shutdown in windows, windows leaves files on the drive that prevent it from mounting as writable in linux.

Correct.  Linux will mount the disk as read only.

Another little tip I found to help unassinged devices show up in SMB faster is to run

The reason UD does not do this is that it interrupts SMB trasfers.  UD does a Samba refresh.  If you are copying a file and restart Samba, you will probaby cause a failure in the fie transfer.  I would recommend you don't do this.  Just wait for a bit and the share will show up.

I am finally in the process of setting up my array.

I was using my NTFS drives mounted via UD for the last few weeks to get the server setup.

I won't need the server today, so my plan was to move the drive to the array and start copying the data over to it as it should take around 24 hours for the copy to complete wit my old drives and thus would be back up about the time I need it.

I made a backup of the drive to some other drives, I then moved it to the array from UD and formatted it.

I started the array and was about to start copying data to it when I noticed that it is still mounting it under the unassigned devices share name??

I have tried putting the drive back in UD, mounting and unmounting the drive, deleting the config and then adding it back to the array. Didn't help.

I deleted the symlink in disks, didn't work.

I rebooted several times, didn't work.

I even uninstalled unassigned devices completely and rebooted and the drive STILL mounted in /mnt/disks/, not even sure how that is possible?

I don't know what else to try, I don't want to waste time copying data if I might need to reformat the drive again to fix this.

Edited by TexasUnraid
7 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I am finally in the process of setting up my array.

I was using my NTFS drives mounted via UD for the last few weeks to get the server setup.

I won't need the server today, so my plan was to move the drive to the array and start copying the data over to it as it should take around 24 hours for the copy to complete wit my old drives and thus would be back up about the time I need it.

I made a backup of the drive to some other drives, I then moved it to the array from UD and formatted it.

I started the array and was about to start copying data to it when I noticed that it is still mounting it under the unassigned devices share name??

I have tried putting the drive back in UD, mounting and unmounting the drive, deleting the config and then adding it back to the array. Didn't help.

I deleted the symlink in disks, didn't work.

I rebooted several times, didn't work.

I don't know what else to try, I don't want to waste time copying data if I might need to reformat the drive again to fix this.

If it is showing up in UD, you haven't assigned it to the array.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

If it is showing up in UD, you haven't assigned it to the array.

It is showing up in the array in the GUI but it is still mounting the share under /mnt/disks that the drive used to be attached to when it was being used by UD.

I even uninstalled unassigned devices completely and rebooted and the drive STILL mounted in /mnt/disks/, not even sure how that is possible?

This is why I am scared to use the drive in the array, it should not be being mounted to the /mnt/disks, so something is wrong.

3 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

It is showing up in the array in the GUI but it is still mounting the share under /mnt/disks that the drive used to be attached to when it was being used by UD.

This is why I am scared to use the drive in the array, it should not be being mounted to the /mnt/disks, so something is wrong.

Find it in the Historical Devices and delete the configuration.

4 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Did you ever happen to reference that path (/mnt/disks/....) within a docker's template?

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Did you ever happen to reference that path (/mnt/disks/....) within a docker's template?

Good idea but sadly no, I knew these drives would be moved to the array so I was careful to not link anything to the /mnt/disks path since I knew it would change. Plus none of my dockers currently interact with the drives directly, they are just shared to the network for now as that is what they were doing when on windows.

Edited by TexasUnraid

Then with UD uninstalled, set the docker service to not be enabled (Settings - docker) and reboot.  If /mnt/disks comes back, you've made the folder via a script or something.  If it doesn't come back, then restart the service and odds on the folder will reappear and you can then look at your various templates to see where it's coming from.

A enhancement request... as the number of drives grows in my UD list in the GUI, I find I have to press the (+) to expand each drive to find the one that has the mount point I'm looking for.

Not sure what the right enhancement is, perhaps a way to expand them all at once to make all the mount points visible?

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Then with UD uninstalled, set the docker service to not be enabled (Settings - docker) and reboot.  If /mnt/disks comes back, you've made the folder via a script or something.  If it doesn't come back, then restart the service and odds on the folder will reappear and you can then look at your various templates to see where it's coming from.

Good idea, turns out that the backup I made with dirsyncpro prior to moving the drive to the array was still active and was accessing the folder from disks and that seems to of caused the issue. Didn't think about that since it was not supposed to be doing anything.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Edited by TexasUnraid
9 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

It is like there is some kind of symlink that is connected to the drive, if I stop the array, the folder disappears from /mnt/disks/ but comes back if I start the array, even with UD uninstalled.

Go to a terminal session and do 'ls /mnt/disks/(mountpoint)' and see what is contained in the folder.  That will help you track down what is happening.