Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi,

Been having an issue today where any of my mounted NFS shares become unusable once anything from unraid tries to access them. The shares were working as intended for months until just this morning. I've tried accessing the shares from a different computer which worked just fine so the issue seems to be solely with unraid and unassigned devices.

This is the error from the logs whenever :

Jul 3 13:50:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/Media' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' > /tmp/unassigned.devices/df 2>/dev/null) took longer than 2s!
Jul 3 13:50:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/Camera' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' > /tmp/unassigned.devices/df 2>/dev/null) took longer than 2s!

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20200703-1352.zip

5 hours ago, eraticwanderer said:

Hi,

Been having an issue today where any of my mounted NFS shares become unusable once anything from unraid tries to access them. The shares were working as intended for months until just this morning. I've tried accessing the shares from a different computer which worked just fine so the issue seems to be solely with unraid and unassigned devices.

This is the error from the logs whenever :

Jul 3 13:50:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/Media' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' > /tmp/unassigned.devices/df 2>/dev/null) took longer than 2s!
Jul 3 13:50:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/Camera' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' > /tmp/unassigned.devices/df 2>/dev/null) took longer than 2s!

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20200703-1352.zip 85.26 kB · 1 download

That's probably from a network or remote share server issue.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

That's probably from a network or remote share server issue.

What's the best way to go about troubleshooting that? I use FreeNAS to host the NFS share im trying to connect to.

I've tired the following:

- Accessed the NFS share from a different computer which works fine.

- Accessed the NFS share from a Ubuntu VM on unraid server which worked fine.

- Looked to see if there are errors on the server serving the NFS share and do not see anything noteworthy in regards to the share.

- Tried sharing the same folder through SMB but still acts the same way.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am building out a new Unraid server 6.8.3. I am a newbie.

I have 16 or so disc of media data from a previous storage server (Flexraid) that I need to migrate to the new server. My plan was to use unassigned disc and Krusader to add each disc and copy files from the disc to the shares instead of over the network. However I have run into a problem.

If I go into Krusader I only see the PPU portion of the disc which is full of old flexraid junk meta files I no longer need. If I take the disc out of the array and attach it to a separate windows machine I see all the media file, so the disc looks good. When I mount the disc the only secitoon that mounts is the PPU2 portion. The WDC xxxxx is grayed out. How can I mount this portion of disc in unassigned, which appears to contain all the media data I want.?

Also posting diagnotics... if that helps.

Here is a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.f3e9c34276e538cc5cddb5b70c71b68a.png

Hoping I am doing something stupid because right now I am copying files over my network and that is no where near as fast.

Remember I am an newbie so if you need me to post some files, please point me in the right direction.

spanky-diagnostics-20200704-1737.zip

Edited by stepmback
53 minutes ago, stepmback said:

I am building out a new Unraid server 6.8.3. I am a newbie.

I have 16 or so disc of media data from a previous storage server (Flexraid) that I need to migrate to the new server. My plan was to use unassigned disc and Krusader to add each disc and copy files from the disc to the shares instead of over the network. However I have run into a problem.

If I go into Krusader I only see the PPU portion of the disc which is full of old flexraid junk meta files I no longer need. If I take the disc out of the array and attach it to a separate windows machine I see all the media file, so the disc looks good. When I mount the disc the only secitoon that mounts is the PPU2 portion. The WDC xxxxx is grayed out. How can I mount this portion of disc in unassigned, which appears to contain all the media data I want.?

Here is a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.f3e9c34276e538cc5cddb5b70c71b68a.png

Hoping I am doing something stupid because right now I am copying files over my network and that is no where near as fast.

Remember I am an newbie so if you need me to post some files, please point me in the right direction.

Unraid (Linux) does not recognize a valid partition on the first partition of those disks.

I am new to Unraid (currently just on a trial). I have added a remote SMB share (from a Windows PC) using UD, using a local user account created on that PC that is provided full access permissions to that share.

Username entered is just "user" not "mypc\user", password is valid, not set to expire. I am able to add it to the list of remote SMB shares, but when I click "Mount", it looks like it will mount, loads, then goes right back to the same screen with the button still stating to "Mount".

image.thumb.png.1bb335a11d859f5df24d6dcdbfc1b4a3.png

Following other posts I've found that had some kind of resolution, I can confirm the password is just a-zA-Z, username is a-zA-Z as well. No special characters. I have tried to force SMBv1 to no avail. I have also changed my Windows PC settings to allow for 40/56-bit encryption connections, not just 128-bit, and to turn off password-protected sharing. I have also tried every mix of the above three. Turning off password-protected sharing does allow me to find the share without a user/pass, on Unraid, but still not mount.

I'm lost at this point. Any ideas?

16 hours ago, eraticwanderer said:

What's the best way to go about troubleshooting that? I use FreeNAS to host the NFS share im trying to connect to.

I've tired the following:

- Accessed the NFS share from a different computer which works fine.

- Accessed the NFS share from a Ubuntu VM on unraid server which worked fine.

- Looked to see if there are errors on the server serving the NFS share and do not see anything noteworthy in regards to the share.

- Tried sharing the same folder through SMB but still acts the same way.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is the remote share accessible, just that UD doesn't show the disk size, free, and available?

3 minutes ago, MiniKold said:

I am new to Unraid (currently just on a trial). I have added a remote SMB share (from a Windows PC) using UD, using a local user account created on that PC that is provided full access permissions to that share.

Username entered is just "user" not "mypc\user", password is valid, not set to expire. I am able to add it to the list of remote SMB shares, but when I click "Mount", it looks like it will mount, loads, then goes right back to the same screen with the button still stating to "Mount".

Following other posts I've found that had some kind of resolution, I can confirm the password is just a-zA-Z, username is a-zA-Z as well. No special characters. I have tried to force SMBv1 to no avail. I have also changed my Windows PC settings to allow for 40/56-bit encryption connections, not just 128-bit, and to turn off password-protected sharing. I have also tried every mix of the above three. Turning off password-protected sharing does allow me to find the share without a user/pass, on Unraid, but still not mount.

Post diagnostics.  Without it we can only guess at the problem.

4 minutes ago, MiniKold said:

Try using the IP address instead of the computer name.

I have an SMB windows 10 share mounted with all default settings on windows and unraid.

Make sure capitalization is correct as well.

Edited by TexasUnraid
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Try using the IP address instead of the computer name.

I have an SMB windows 10 share mounted with all default settings on windows and unraid.

Make sure capitalization is correct as well.

That did it.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Post diagnostics.  Without it we can only guess at the problem.

Wasn't sure where to grab diagnostics. Once I found it, I saw it wasn't resolving the hostname, tried IP like above, and it's working fine.

Preface - I'm a Linux newbie!

I have an 8TB external HDD, formatted NTFS. Windows Disk Management shows it as all one partition, but when I plug it into my unRAID box Unassigned Devices shows 2 partitions - the first as no file system and 0 B, the second as ntfs 8 TB. The 8 TB partition will mount, but I'd like to understand what's going on or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Does UD mount the drives under the fuse file system?

I have noticed that my speed with UD can be really slow, on par with using the fuse file system and I can't figure out why this is the case.

Seems like it should not be using the fuse file system since it is not mounted under /user but right now I am doing a file copy and it is only going at 30-40mb/s and the drive is only at 10-15% utilization?

It should be going closer to 150mb/s.

Any idea where the bottleneck is? I know the hardware can handle it as I easily saw 150mb/s when using the same hardware on windows. An NTFS driver issue maybe?

8 hours ago, qhunt said:

I use the smb function of Unassigned Devices, but it cannot load share. UD 6.8.1

The latest changes in Samba are causing issues with looking up servers and shares.  i.e. NetBios and Windows Discovery.  UD does the best it can to search for servers and shares, but using the IP address of the remote server seems to be the most reliable.

• Thanks 1

I apologize if this has been asked before but when I installed the UD plugin on Unraid 6.8.3 I can't get the unassigned drives to show up with the plus symbol next to them. I have pre-cleared the devices and everything. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plug, rebooting, stopping the array, acting like I'm going to mount them into the array, nothing seems to work. Going to see if UD+ is doing the same thing now. 

image.thumb.png.7de9de214fd001568b2196619a11807b.png

7 minutes ago, dragoryte said:

I apologize if this has been asked before but when I installed the UD plugin on Unraid 6.8.3 I can't get the unassigned drives to show up with the plus symbol next to them. I have pre-cleared the devices and everything. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plug, rebooting, stopping the array, acting like I'm going to mount them into the array, nothing seems to work. Going to see if UD+ is doing the same thing now. 

image.thumb.png.7de9de214fd001568b2196619a11807b.png

According to your screenshot the disks haven't been formatted so there is no partition for the "plus symbol" to refer to and nothing to mount.

UD+ is required if you want to format these as Unassigned Devices.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

According to your screenshot the disks haven't been formatted so there is no partition for the "plus symbol" to refer to and nothing to mount.

UD+ is required if you want to format these as Unassigned Devices.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm not trying to be dense but the Format button is greyed out. I cannot format the disks. I have installed UD and UD+ but the Format button is greyed out. Also noticed that in the Main screen those devices don't show up with a Green or Red light next to them but if I go into the UD plugin itself they do. Am I missing something super simple here?

6 minutes ago, dragoryte said:

I have installed UD and UD+ but the Format button is greyed out.

You must enable "destructive mode" in UD+ settings to allow formatting.

I think this is explained in the first post of this support thread. You should always read the first post in any support thread before posting questions 😉