Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

Try restarting the server, sometimes a mount name will get "stuck" and restarting will sort it out.

That should not be necessary.  I've never had this happen.  If someone gets in this situation, please post diagnostics so I can troubleshoot.

10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That should not be necessary.  I've never had this happen.  If someone gets in this situation, please post diagnostics so I can troubleshoot.

I had this happen a few times when it was duplicating names, there might of been another way around the issue but restarting fixed it for me.

I just updated this morning and have not had any issues thus far but have also not really used UD much, that is mostly when I do backups.

3 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

I had this happen a few times when it was duplicating names, there might of been another way around the issue but restarting fixed it for me.

I just updated this morning and have not had any issues thus far but have also not really used UD much, that is mostly when I do backups.

Before the latest release (2020.07.19a), there was an issue where this would happen.  Be sure you are updated to the latest UD.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chaineym said:

Hi guys, I have an issue. I'm in the process of switching from Ubuntu Server to Unraid. As part of this process, I didn't want to lose my media so here's what I did:

1. Formatted 2 new 4TB drives to XFS in Ubuntu
  2. Copied all my media from my 2 old 3TB drives to the new 4TB drives in Ubuntu
    1. I had to do that because my drives where in a logical volume.
  3. In Unraid, I pre-cleared then added my 2 3TB drives to the Array and started the Array.

After that, my plan was to mount the 2 4TB drives in Unassigned Devices and transfer the data to the Array. However, for some reason, I'm unable to mount these drives even though I know the file system is XFS.

2tVNy4Q.jpg

So I'm a bit lost and I don't want to lose all my media. Hopefully someone can help.

home-server-diagnostics-20200723-1141.zip 80.95 kB · 0 downloads

Unraid (Linux) does recognize a file system on those disks, so UD cannot mount them.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Unraid (Linux) does recognize a file system on those disks, so UD cannot mount them.

Sorry I'm learning, but I really appreciate the help. Did you mean "doesn't"? If it does recognize the file system why can't it mount them? I tried something in the meantime, I rebooted Ubuntu, formatted one of the drive in exFAT, move some of my files to it then tried to mount it in Unassigned Devices and it didn't work either.

Am I missing something? I though I would be able to move my existing files using this plugin but no matter how are format the drives, it's not being recognized. Am I doing it wrong?

4 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

Worst case just plug those drives back into the ubuntu computer and copy the data over the network, it will be slow but it should work.

I'm not sure how I would do that, Ubuntu is on the drive that will become my cache drive. The only reason I can still boot it is because I didn't add the cache drive yet. I only have one computer in which I can connect my 3TB and 4TB drives.

Edited by chaineym

You don't need the cache drive in unraid, in fact for a large transfer like this you would be better off without the cache drive installed as it will not help and will just wear it out.

Just boot up ubuntu, use SMB to connect to the unraid share and then transfer everything over (using another computer of course).

Worst case you can use an ubuntu usb stick and a USB adapter for the hard drive.

Although to use exfat you need to also install the unassigned devices plus plugin. That might fix your issue as well.

Alright so I think I found a way, I will know in a couple of hours. I formatted one of my drive in XFS using Unraid, booted in Ubuntu and Ubuntu can mount the partition and allows me to write on it. I'm in the process of copying my media to the drive. Since it was formatted using Unraid, I hopeit will be recognized correctly. Fingers crossed!

10 hours ago, chaineym said:

Sorry I'm learning, but I really appreciate the help. Did you mean "doesn't"?

Yes, I meant doesn't recognize.

Am I missing something? I though I would be able to move my existing files using this plugin but no matter how are format the drives, it's not being recognized. Am I doing it wrong?

You aren't missing anythng.  Ubuntu may be partitioning the disk in a non-standard way that Unraid can't understand.

Alright so I think I found a way, I will know in a couple of hours. I formatted one of my drive in XFS using Unraid,

Good solution.

13 hours ago, chaineym said:

Alright so I think I found a way, I will know in a couple of hours. I formatted one of my drive in XFS using Unraid, booted in Ubuntu and Ubuntu can mount the partition and allows me to write on it. I'm in the process of copying my media to the drive. Since it was formatted using Unraid, I hopeit will be recognized correctly. Fingers crossed!

Alright so I'm giving an update in case someone else has this issue in the future and ends up in that thread. I can confirm this worked. So if you formatted your drive outside of Unraid and you are not able to mount the drive in Unraid, it could be because wherever you formatted the drive does it in a way that Unraid cannot recognize correctly. I can confirm this happened to me when I formatted a drive in Ubuntu Server in both XFS and exFAT.

The solution for me was to...

1. Format the drive in Unraid (instead of Ubuntu)
  2. Boot Ubuntu Server
  3. Mount the drive in Ubuntu
  4. Transfer my files on the drive
  5. Boot Unraid
  6. Mount the drive in Unraid using UD
  7. Use Krusader to transfer the files from the mounted drive to my Array
2 hours ago, chaineym said:

Alright so I'm giving an update in case someone else has this issue in the future and ends up in that thread. I can confirm this worked. So if you formatted your drive outside of Unraid and you are not able to mount the drive in Unraid, it could be because wherever you formatted the drive does it in a way that Unraid cannot recognize correctly. I can confirm this happened to me when I formatted a drive in Ubuntu Server in both XFS and exFAT.

2. Boot Ubuntu Server
  5. Boot Unraid

What probably happened is that Ubuntu created multiple partitions and the first one did not have a file system.  If you click on the '+' next to the drive serial number, all the partitions on the drive will show.  Any that have a valid file system will show an active 'Mount' button.  The first partition on the drive is the one that shows the drive mount status.  So there could be mountable partitions on the drive, but not show as mountable on the drive.

2. Boot Ubuntu Server
  5. Boot Unraid

I'm betting it would be faster to just transfer over the network than to shuttle the data with a hard drive.

New release of UD.  Highlights:

• Re-arranged the UD page to more align with the Unraid disk stats.  While there is not a perfect alignment of comparable table entries (pretty difficult because of the dynamic nature of UD), the table entries like FS, Size, Used, and Free are in the same columns.
  • Device size, used, and free are now determined on a timed basis to cut down on UD page load time.  These stats are done using 'df' which is prone to hanging if cifs mounts get disconnected so this should help with the appearance that UD is 'hung'.
  • Script Edit and Log icons are now in one table entry instead of two saving some row space and allowing Size, Free, and Used to better align with Unraid disk stats.

The table entry alignment is most moticeable in the Non Tabbed view.

Hi, 

New to this topic and not sure what I need to do to post my problem.

I have been upgrading my unraid machine and swapped out smaller drives to larger ones.

At sometime during the swapping I have lost files, entire directory's.

I connected one of the old replaced drives and it shows in UD but will not let me mount it.SS.thumb.png.775e24388bd310b0092c249c4ddd1d61.png

3 minutes ago, tcshavasu said:

At sometime during the swapping I have lost files

Never have such problem, should be parity not sync or some wrong operation or ubderlaying problem invalid it.

7 minutes ago, tcshavasu said:

it shows in UD but will not let me mount it.

Disk controller change ?

9 minutes ago, tcshavasu said:

Hi, 

New to this topic and not sure what I need to do to post my problem.

I have been upgrading my unraid machine and swapped out smaller drives to larger ones.

At sometime during the swapping I have lost files, entire directory's.

I connected one of the old replaced drives and it shows in UD but will not let me mount it.SS.thumb.png.775e24388bd310b0092c249c4ddd1d61.png

Click the orange mount button, it should mount it. If not then it should give an error in the log that can help.

25 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Click the orange mount button, it should mount it. If not then it should give an error in the log that can help.

Log states:

Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdl1'...
Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdl1' '/mnt/disks/ST500DM002-1BD142_Z6E6JHFC'
Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower kernel: XFS (sdl1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID af97fc56-3528-4125-b30b-215ec979551b - can't mount

Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdl1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST500DM002-1BD142_Z6E6JHFC: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdl1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I'm guessing it's the duplicate UUID?

Can I clear that and see the files that were on it?

If so, how do I clear it safely?

I just need to copy the files off the old disk to the array.

Edited by tcshavasu
5 minutes ago, tcshavasu said:

Log states:

Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdl1'...
Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdl1' '/mnt/disks/ST500DM002-1BD142_Z6E6JHFC'
Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower kernel: XFS (sdl1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID af97fc56-3528-4125-b30b-215ec979551b - can't mount

Jul 26 12:51:49 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdl1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST500DM002-1BD142_Z6E6JHFC: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdl1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I'm guessing it's the duplicate UUID?

Can I clear that and see the files that were on it?

If so, how do I clear it safely?

I just need to copy the files off the old disk to the array.

Clck on the '+' and then click on the check mark and see if there are disk errors.  If there are, click on the run with the correct flag button.

I’m having the same issue,

Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdl1'...
Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdl1' '/mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R'
Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower kernel: XFS (sdl1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 20345907-1be5-47e5-9722-00ca8c644885 - can't mount
Jul 27 09:46:20 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdl1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdl1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
Jul 27 09:46:20 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R' could not be mounted.
Jul 27 09:47:36 Tower unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdl1' UUID. Result: ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_admin. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

drive was working perfectly before. no idea what to do next. could anyone offer their help, please?

edit: ran xfs_repair -L then xfs_admin -U generate and all is good.

Edited by iilied
solved
On 7/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, iilied said:

I’m having the same issue,

Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdl1'...
Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdl1' '/mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R'
Jul 27 09:46:19 Tower kernel: XFS (sdl1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 20345907-1be5-47e5-9722-00ca8c644885 - can't mount
Jul 27 09:46:20 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdl1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdl1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
Jul 27 09:46:20 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R' could not be mounted.
Jul 27 09:47:36 Tower unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdl1' UUID. Result: ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_admin. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

drive was working perfectly before. no idea what to do next. could anyone offer their help, please?

edit: ran xfs_repair -L then xfs_admin -U generate and all is good.

it happened again. disconnected and reconnected, and another letter assigned is assigned, that’s very strange.

Jul 28 03:20:46 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdm1'...
Jul 28 03:20:46 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdm1' '/mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R'
Jul 28 03:20:46 Tower kernel: XFS (sdm1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID c0baa833-15ad-41c1-b008-93d89164b138 - can't mount
Jul 28 03:20:46 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdm1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdm1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

and it doesn’t unmount.

Jul 28 03:36:53 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdm'.
Jul 28 03:36:53 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdm1'...
Jul 28 03:36:53 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdm1' 2>&1
Jul 28 03:36:53 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount of '/dev/sdm1' failed. Error message: umount: /mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R: target is busy.

now this too.

Jul 28 10:54:58 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdn1'...
Jul 28 10:54:58 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdn1' '/mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R'
Jul 28 10:54:58 Tower kernel: XFS (sdn1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 82f7e126-d6cb-4146-a545-0c51fbe8f1fa - can't mount
Jul 28 10:54:58 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdn1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST9500325AS_6VE5Z84R: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdn1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Edited by iilied
adding errors