Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

18 minutes ago, boomam said:

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a display bug in that causes unassigned devices that are mounted, to show its used and free amounts as wrong?  

For example, i have a 32Gb USB Drive attached and mounted to dump logs too, used shows 0 B, and free 4.23 MB. 

Doing a disk lookup in CLI shows the stats correctly however.  

Its not drive specific either, happens with any drive I've attached in the same way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What is the ouput of the following command?

/bin/df /mnt/disks/mountpoint --output=size,used,avail

34 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I understand and saying it over and over is not helpful.

The 'mountpoint' in the command is one of your disks that is having the issue, not literally 'mountpoint.

Neither is the attitude. Its not constructive. 

Two mentions is not 'over and over'.

I re-illiterated it once as often people miss key bits of information and didn't want people to fixate on 'must be your USB drive'.

Anyway, your second comment doesn't make sense, can you re-explain what you are getting/asking at please?

##EDIT##
nm - running the command as sdX as the mount point, same error.

Running it as the name of the mountpoint, 'Logs', returns the correct 1k-blocks, used and available.

Edited by boomam
1 minute ago, TexasUnraid said:

If your drive is called "Backup", Then replace "mountpoint" with "Backup" in the command or it will not work.

Thanks, i saw that a moment after i posted, i re-updated my post:  

nm - running the command as sdX as the mount point, same error.

Running it as the name of the mountpoint, 'Logs', returns the correct 1k-blocks, used and available.

Edited by boomam
12 minutes ago, boomam said:

Two mentions is not 'over and over'.

I re-illiterated it once as often people miss key bits of information and didn't want people to fixate on 'must be your USB drive'.

Once is enough.

I asked to see the output from the 'df' command.  Please post the actual output from that command and also attach your diagnostics.

UD uses that command to determine the size, used, and free on a drive.  It queries the disk on a timed interval and stores it in the /tmp/ file system and displays the information when the UD webpage is displayed so the disks are not constantly queried.  I suspect there may be an issue with the /tmp/ file system - like it is full?

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Once is enough.

I asked to see the output from the 'df' command.  Please post the actual output from that command and also attach your diagnostics.

UD uses that command to determine the size, used, and free on a drive.  It queries the disk on a timed interval and stores it in the /tmp/ file system and displays the information when the UD webpage is displayed so the disks are not constantly queried.  I suspect there may be an issue with the /tmp/ file system - like it is full?

Output was provided/described - 

• Initial run, no such file or directory
  • Second run, shows correct usages.

There was no further information so you'll need to believe me when i say the block usage/avail/etc is correct.

re: /tmp

Looking at /tmp, its at 8% usage, and occasionally spikes up a little higher when i'm transcoding something.

Re: Diag file

What specifically are you requesting/looking to see within it?

I'm never keen in providing it as despite the anonymous option, it does not obfuscate as much as i would like.

Are there specific metrics you want the output from to help diagnose?

Edited by boomam
7 hours ago, alturismo said:

@boomam he asked for a simple return like this

root@AlsServer:~# df /mnt/disks/PARAGONSOFT/ --output=size,used,avail
1K-blocks   Used    Avail
 14928045 672498 14255547

may also show this

image.thumb.png.ec983951499b7f38b2808c79d32edaf0.png

Thanks, but i'm aware of what he asked and as mentioned, the output was provided.

The 1k/used/avail was valid and correct. Beyond physically seeing the block values, knowing the output verbatim provides no useful information for further diagnosis as he is not familiar with what the drive size and usage should be, whereas i am. There is no information beyond that, and no error information either.

Getting stuck on 'but i need to know the exact blocks' doesn't provide anything additional.

By confirming that the values are indeed correct on that output, but are not within the GUI itself, it is in effect confirming that the lookup that is done, as per his synopsis above, is not calculating or reading this information correctly for the GUI.

Moving on, whats interesting to note, and it could be anecdotal as i dont have an old backup to verify, but i could have sworn that the calculation in the GUI was correct up until early last month. I have some old screenshots of when i was demo'ing Unraid to a friend where its showing correctly. 

Has anything changed in the last 1-2 months in how it gets the information for the GUI? Or has it always calculated it the same way?

actually i dont see any output values from you, but nvm, and as you see its correct in my view and im always updated, so to help debugging you really should consider to show how it looks in your case, due in the end its a simple calculation for used/free to show ... but as its not my issue and not my plugin im rather out now.

9 hours ago, boomam said:

The 1k/used/avail was valid and correct. Beyond physically seeing the block values, knowing the output verbatim provides no useful information for further diagnosis as he is not familiar with what the drive size and usage should be, whereas i am. There is no information beyond that, and no error information either.

Getting stuck on 'but i need to know the exact blocks' doesn't provide anything additional.

The reason I asked for the actual output from the command was to verify the formatting of the information to see that UD is parsing and dealing with the output properly.  There are several steps involved in gathering the information, and storing it for display to the UI.  I was looking to start from the beginning to see if I can find where the problem occurs.  The next step would be to see if it is being acquired and properly stored before UD displays it on the UI.

There were some changes made in the last few months to not constantly query disks for information to display on the UI to keep from hammering the disks with IO.  Some information like size, useage, and free is collected at timed intervals rather than each time the UI is refreshed.

This is the first time this has come up, so I assume it is something unique with your system or disks.  Your presumption that UD is not calculating the information correctly is not helpful in coming up with a solution in your case.

I didn't ask for the output just to prove that the disk information was correct.  I assume it is.

Since you do not care to share with me information I ask for so I can help with your issue, there is really nothing I can do to help you.

Note: I am a volunteer like most people here providing support on the forum.  I have limited time to devote to helping users like yourself.  I will do what I can, but your argumentative attitude doesn't inspire me much to help you.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, dlandon said:

The reason I asked for the actual output from the command was to verify the formatting of the information to see that UD is parsing and dealing with the output properly....but your argumentative attitude doesn't inspire me much to help you.

Thanks for outlining at a high level how it works.

However i will be clear on this, the argumentative attitude is not an attitude, its sticking to facts based on the information that i had.

I will point out that you begin being arsey because you took mentioning something 1-2x times as worthy of acting out - two wrongs dont make a right, but do not accuse others of their attitude when yours hasn't exactly been stellar from the off either, for whatever reason.

If you do not intend to help further, then that's fine, its not affecting the system operationally, i'll just leave it as a bug until a future release either fixes it, or i get a chance to look at the code myself. It's not a huge issue to me tbh.

However if you are willing to put water under the bridge, within the restraints of anonymity of information provided, i am willing to provide additional details to help.

Your choice. :)

On 9/13/2020 at 9:03 AM, Kiano70 said:

Hello :)

I have had an unusual display on my server for several days and rebooting does not solve the problem. What should I do ? Thank you.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function _() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php:35 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php(85): my_scale(870.35904, NULL) #1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php(177): render_used_and_free_disk(Array, true) #2 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php(262): render_partition(Array, Array, true) #3 {main} thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Helpers.php on line 35

DEVICEIDENTIFICATION

Capture.PNG

Update the UD plugin.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You can set a disk password in the UD settings.

I understand that.

How do I make that password temporary? Is there a way to make Unraid forget that password? Is it forgotten when you press the 'remove' button on the 'Main' tab's Historical Devices?

Edited by draeh
21 minutes ago, draeh said:

I understand that.

How do I make that password temporary? Is there a way to make Unraid forget that password? Is it forgotten when you press the 'remove' button on the 'Main' tab's Historical Devices?

It cannot be set temporary.  Set the password blank in UD settings to forget it.

Hi,

i have the following situation & problem:

Unraid - unassigned Devices - mounted a DROBO share via SMB.

Now i´ll try to re-share via Unraid. I´ve created an SMB share where the DROBO Share is linked.

Accessing this share from my Mac does work perfect for reading. I can also save files to the main directory of the directory. For the mounted DROBO shares i can read but not write files. I´ll receive a "-50" unknown error code...

Is there any hint? Logfiles to check?

I´m open for any hints.

Kind regards

Thorsten Gehrig

2 hours ago, Thorsten Gehrig said:

Hi,

i have the following situation & problem:

Unraid - unassigned Devices - mounted a DROBO share via SMB.

Now i´ll try to re-share via Unraid. I´ve created an SMB share where the DROBO Share is linked.

Accessing this share from my Mac does work perfect for reading. I can also save files to the main directory of the directory. For the mounted DROBO shares i can read but not write files. I´ll receive a "-50" unknown error code...

Is there any hint? Logfiles to check?

I´m open for any hints.

Kind regards

Thorsten Gehrig

If you mount a remote SMB share, it is already shared by Unraid with the mount point name.  Why are you re-sharing it?

You set the user access rights to UD shares in UD settings.

On 9/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, dlandon said:

If you mount a remote SMB share, it is already shared by Unraid with the mount point name.  Why are you re-sharing it?

You set the user access rights to UD shares in UD settings.

Hi

thanks - i wasn't aware that this automatically re-shares. unfortunainlty i still see the issue - even the user have read/write access in the ID settings. Mac still shows error -50 when i want to create files (while it creates an empty file only)

Any idea where to check logs?

Best Thorsten Gehrig

1 hour ago, Thorsten Gehrig said:

Hi

thanks - i wasn't aware that this automatically re-shares. unfortunainlty i still see the issue - even the user have read/write access in the ID settings. Mac still shows error -50 when i want to create files (while it creates an empty file only)

Any idea where to check logs?

Best Thorsten Gehrig

Post diagnostics.

How can i begin to diagnose why the UD plug-in 'drops drives out' - seems to happen randomly for me? (and a reboot sometimes brings those drives back) I have changed cables multiple times and I am scratching my head. Is the UD plug-in only really designed for external  USB drives? Reason I ask is that the UD drives that 'drop out' for me are connected to a secondary HBA.

Edited by mgeem