Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 hours ago, mgeem said:

How can i begin to diagnose why the UD plug-in 'drops drives out' - seems to happen randomly for me?

Check the Syslog.

4 hours ago, mgeem said:

Is the UD plug-in only really designed for external  USB drives?

No.

UD manages the mounting and unmounting of disk drives and has no control over the disk or file operations.

There are some controllers that have some issues with Unraid.  Post diagnostics for further help.

I just installed a new HDD (HGST HUS728T8TALE6L4 8TB) that is replacing a failing one. Didn’t want to take the time to run a Preclear but would like to at least run an extended smart test. I’ve tried starting the test using the start button but nothing happens. Tried this with safari and Firefox. Also tried the short test. Is there some UD setting that I’m missing?

25 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I just installed a new HDD (HGST HUS728T8TALE6L4 8TB) that is replacing a failing one. Didn’t want to take the time to run a Preclear but would like to at least run an extended smart test. I’ve tried starting the test using the start button but nothing happens. Tried this with safari and Firefox. Also tried the short test. Is there some UD setting that I’m missing?

Or maybe its just not supported?

screenshot.pdf

I have a number of old disks that I'd like to check whether I still have any data on them. Doing this with a simple USB enclosure (only 1 disk) and reading with UD.

This worked very well for the first drive, but struggling with the disks thereafter. UD seems not able to identify the new disk (even if the old one is no longer attached). It also increased the device number from ax to ay to az, etc.

Any thoughts how to fix this? There must be some form of cache or log that I can delete? Log attached.

tower-diagnostics-20201004-1644.zip

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

I have a number of old disks that I'd like to check whether I still have any data on them. Doing this with a simple USB enclosure (only 1 disk) and reading with UD.

This worked very well for the first drive, but struggling with the disks thereafter. UD seems not able to identify the new disk (even if the old one is no longer attached). It also increased the device number from ax to ay to az, etc.

Any thoughts how to fix this? There must be some form of cache or log that I can delete? Log attached.

tower-diagnostics-20201004-1644.zip 313.68 kB · 0 downloads

Unplug the enclosure from the USB port, change the disk, then plug the enclosure back into the USB port.

30 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Thee issue seems more severe and impacting all UD. I can no longer access "/disks" (where all my UD reside). When trying to access the folder, I am getting the following error message: /bin/ls: reading directory '/mnt/disks': Input/output error

If you didn't unplug the USB enclosure, but just kept changing disks, UD would have issues.  Reboot and see if it clears things up.

37 minutes ago, boomam said:

This is remarkably similar to my issue, but with exFAT or FAT32.

@Danno93093 supplied me with the diagnostics I needed to find and resolve the issue.  This is why I ask for the diagnostics.  I found an extra space character from some disks information in the df command that was causing a parsing problem.

Problem fixed in the latest release.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, dlandon said:

@Danno93093 supplied me with the diagnostics I needed to find and resolve the issue.  This is why I ask for the diagnostics.  I found an extra space character from some disks information in the df command that was causing a parsing problem.

Problem fixed in the latest release.

Good to hear.

Can't verify my end, update fails right now, so I assume git issues.

I'll give it another go later.

plugin: updating: unassigned.devices.plg

plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.10.04.tgz" ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)

plugin: wget: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.10.04.tgz" download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

1 minute ago, boomam said:

Good to hear.

Can't verify my end, update fails right now, so I assume git issues.

I'll give it another go later.

plugin: updating: unassigned.devices.plg

plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.10.04.tgz" ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)

plugin: wget: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-2020.10.04.tgz" download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

Try again in a few minutes.  I had a file name issue.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

There is a delay in the update of the used and free.  Wait a few minutes and then refresh UD.

No effect. Just retested as i got in, about 2-3 hours after your post - same issue.

As said, i'm not worried, its not a show stopper.

However it doesn't look like the other poster has confirmed the fix either, so probably still an ongoing issue i'm guessing.

2 hours ago, boomam said:

However it doesn't look like the other poster has confirmed the fix either, so probably still an ongoing issue i'm guessing.

I was able to reproduce the other poster's issue and confirm a fix, so there is another issue that might be related to your setup.  You also said in your case it applied to all UD devices.  What I fixed was related to one device and the output from the df command.

A screen shot of your UD page would go a long way to helping find the issue, since you are relctant to post diagnostics.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, dlandon said:

Check the Syslog.

No.

UD manages the mounting and unmounting of disk drives and has no control over the disk or file operations.

There are some controllers that have some issues with Unraid.  Post diagnostics for further help.

The drives that are having the issues with UD are atatched to a Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03) card.

Appreciate the assistance - hopefully the attached may yield what the issues are - thanks again

unraid-diagnostics-20201005-0732.zip

Edited by mgeem
11 minutes ago, mgeem said:

The drives that are having the issues with UD are atatched to a Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03) card.

Appreciate the assistance - hopefully the attached may yield what the issues are - thanks again

unraid-diagnostics-20201005-0732.zip 157.58 kB · 0 downloads

I see several issues.

Oct  4 18:32:55 UnRaid unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/SAMSUNG_SSD512GB'
Oct  4 18:32:55 UnRaid kernel: XFS (sdk1): mounting with "discard" option, but the device does not support discard

Go to UD settings and turn off 'Mount SSDs with 'discard' option?'.  Your SSDs don't support it.  This is a minor issue.

Your disk controller is really struggling.

Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#8976 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=0x00
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#8976 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 42 5e 98 00 01 00 00
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdj, sector 4349592
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#8975 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=0x00
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#8975 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 42 5d 98 00 01 00 00
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdj, sector 4349336
Oct  4 19:41:20 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###
Oct  4 19:42:10 UnRaid kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Oct  4 19:42:10 UnRaid kernel: ata6.00: link offline, clearing class 1 to NONE
Oct  4 19:42:10 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: device_block, handle(0x0009)
Oct  4 19:42:12 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: device_unblock and setting to running, handle(0x0009)
Oct  4 19:42:12 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct  4 19:42:12 UnRaid kernel: XFS (sdj1): metadata I/O error in "xfs_buf_iodone_callback_error" at daddr 0x80 len 32 error 5
Oct  4 19:42:12 UnRaid kernel: ata6: COMRESET failed (errno=-32)
Oct  4 19:42:12 UnRaid kernel: ata6: reset failed (errno=-32), retrying in 8 secs
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#5541 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] tag#5541 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 82 11 98 00 01 00 00
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdj, sector 8524184
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: log_info(0x31110d00): originator(PL), code(0x11), sub_code(0x0d00)
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdj, sector 8524440
Oct  4 19:42:13 UnRaid kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdj] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00

The log is full of thiese entries.  Maybe one of the experts on disk controllers can jump in here and help.

Thanks a lot. The update seems to have fixed (part of) my issue.

I am not sure though whether it is fully solved? The disk now mounts and shows two partitions (TO_Exter_nal_USB_3.0 and TO_Exter_nal_USB_3.0-part5). However, there seems to be a third partition (disks). Not sure what this partition does and whether it is a bug of UD or part of the disk?

Attached diagnostic log. Thanks for your help!

tower-diagnostics-20201005-0910.zip

I continue to face issues when switching between disks in my USB enclosure (even with turning it off/on, plugging on/off). What solves it is to restart the Unraid server, but this defeats the purpose.

Attached log shows some info on some more issues:

1) Two disks (sdv and sdw) are both connected and seem perfect. However, when I try to run a SMART test, it says that the disks are spun down. Also, it gives a different size. Both are connected via one USB enclosure.

2) One disk (sdx) show non-mountable and shows two parities. I don't think the disk is broken and this one actually ran a successful SMART test.

Attached a new diagnostic.

tower-diagnostics-20201005-0940.zip

9 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I continue to face issues when switching between disks in my USB enclosure (even with turning it off/on, plugging on/off). What solves it is to restart the Unraid server, but this defeats the purpose.

Attached log shows some info on some more issues:

1) Two disks (sdv and sdw) are both connected and seem perfect. However, when I try to run a SMART test, it says that the disks are spun down. Also, it gives a different size. Both are connected via one USB enclosure.

2) One disk (sdx) show non-mountable and shows two parities. I don't think the disk is broken and this one actually ran a successful SMART test.

Attached a new diagnostic.

tower-diagnostics-20201005-0940.zip 249.09 kB · 1 download

You have multiple issues going on here.

I found that you have a nvme disk mounted with UD and UD was issuing a spin down command.  That's fixed in the latest release.

You have one of the mount points on a disk set to 'disks'.  That is not a good choice of mount point names.

Please post a screen shot of the UD page so I can see the particulars of the disks and partitions.  Be sure that you set the 'None' switch to show 'All' so I can see the partitions.