Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Hi guys, I've got UAD and UAD+ installed but running into a bit of a problem: I plugged in an external SSD that I formatted in ExFat and Fat32 - and every-time I try to copy files to it (inside Krusader) I get an error that the that there is not enough room on the disk even though my source is only about 500 MB. 

Yes, destructive mode is enabled. 

I formatted it on my Mac, so I thought that my be causing issues....so I a tried to format it via UAD and I can't even find that option!

Thanks for any guidance. 

Can you post a screen shot?

Attached. You can see in the Krusader screenshot it's showing my UA drive as 1MB free out of 1MB ? Clearly in the other screenshot you can see it's a 2TB drive. No sure what I messed up where

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 16.44.30.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 16.45.05.png

Edit: I was able to format them by hitting the red x - and I chose exfat - but now it won't mount.

Edited by Nexus
5 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Attached. You can see in the Krusader screenshot it's showing my UA drive as 1MB free out of 1MB ? Clearly in the other screenshot you can see it's a 2TB drive

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 16.45.05.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 16.44.30.png

You haven't mounted the disk.  Can't write to a disk that is not mounted.  Click the 'Mount' button.

The 1mb you see is the mount point /mnt/disks/ that is to prevent writes to this mount point from filling the tmpfs.

Thanks. I had it mounted - but it was not allowing me to write. I restarted the Krusader container and all it set now. Clearly I was moving too fast, or did not do things in a specific order to get them to appear. Thanks for bearing with me as I clumsily went through this.

11 hours ago, Nexus said:

Thanks. I had it mounted - but it was not allowing me to write. I restarted the Krusader container and all it set now. Clearly I was moving too fast, or did not do things in a specific order to get them to appear. Thanks for bearing with me as I clumsily went through this.

Have you made sure that the mappings for the Krusader container use one of the ‘Slave’ access modes?   If not you will not see changes from within the container until you restart it.

3 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Strange. When the host is rebooted the temps are missing from dev1 but then I wait 15 mins or so and then they appear. Tried different browsers and same issue.

The disk temps are polled at an interval set by the Settings->Disk Settings->Tunable (poll attributes).  This setting defaults to 1800 seconds (30 mins).  There is an issue with RC2 in that the startup of the array does not initialize the disk temps, so they will not show up until they are polled.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

The disk temps are polled at an interval set by the Settings->Disk Settings->Tunable (poll attributes).  This setting defaults to 1800 seconds (30 mins).  There is an issue with RC2 in that the startup of the array does not initialize the disk temps, so they will not show up until they are polled.

OK, makes sense thanks for the info!

New release of UD that should be a lot more responsive.  I've moved the spinner to page refresh to cut down on the spinner on every thing that changes.  For example, mount a disk and the 'Mounting' indicator will come and go without the spinner.  Things like remote server on line status is now real time and the page will update if a remote server goes offline or online.  The disk spun up/down indicator is also real time and will change with disk spinning status.

The script file running status will now update based on the script running and will update real time.  For example, plug in a back up disk and the 'Running' indicator will show up and will go away when the script is completed.

I have a continually mounted disk that I use for daily backups and have a User Scripts script that does a daily backup.  You can set the User Scripts script file that is using the UD mounted disk and when it runs, the 'Running' indicator will show on the UD disk.  This will give you an indicator when a script is running and keep you from unmounting a disk that has a script running on it.

I'll continue working on getting UD to be more responsive and real time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great plugin! I use it all the time. Quick question:

I bought a bunch of 18tb external drives for shucking but thought I would try to use one on my mac. Formatted normally and verified it was a good drive. Unassigned devices failed to work on such a large drive and would only show about 800gb free (if I remember right). Is this a known problem and is it a problem with linux hfs+ support or something to do with unassigned devices?

12 minutes ago, magmpzero said:

Great plugin! I use it all the time. Quick question:

I bought a bunch of 18tb external drives for shucking but thought I would try to use one on my mac. Formatted normally and verified it was a good drive. Unassigned devices failed to work on such a large drive and would only show about 800gb free (if I remember right). Is this a known problem and is it a problem with linux hfs+ support or something to do with unassigned devices?

The size of the drive is based on Linux and the HFS+ support.  UD only reads the size that Linux and HFS+ report.

Do this command and see what Linux reports:

df /mnt/disks/{mountpoint of disk}

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The size of the drive is based on Linux and the HFS+ support.  UD only reads the size that Linux and HFS+ report.

Do this command and see what Linux reports:

df /mnt/disks/{mountpoint of disk}

Yeah, I think it is a linux problem because I futzed around in the cli for a while. when fdisking or doing anything I kept getting errors / warnings about the GPT mismatch

GPT PMBR size mismatch (4294967294 != 35156656127) will be corrected by write

I reformatted multiple times on a real mac machine and tried several drives (I bought 4).

I even tried creating new partitions under linux but could never get anything to work. Unfortunately, I can't do any further testing as I shucked the drive(s) and put them in my array. 

Hi,

I am having issues with the SMB share. I am able to create a partition, navigate via local system and assign it as needed. I just cannot see it over SMB.

SMB settings are correct. It shows as being shared in the syslog.

The name I chose is the same as a previous share that no longer exists (downloads). Do you think this is what would cause the issue?

tower-diagnostics-20201222-0745.zip

1 hour ago, dopeboeh said:

The name I chose is the same as a previous share that no longer exists (downloads). Do you think this is what would cause the issue?

Don't know but you can try deleting config/shares/downloads.cfg on the flash drive then restart the array and see if it helps.

1 hour ago, emersonicus said:

hi,

I recently purchased Seagate 8TB external hdd and connected it to Unraid through USB and now Its now showing up but my 2 TB Seagate shows up. Does this means it can only support a certain capacity? 

TIA!

inas-diagnostics-20201223-1052.zip 107.16 kB · 1 download

Looks like it was recognized by UD:

Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: usb 3-9: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: usb-storage 3-9:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: scsi host7: usb-storage 3-9:1.0
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     PNY      USB 2.0 FD       1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] 15950592 512-byte logical blocks: (8.17 GB/7.61 GiB)
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Write Protect is off
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] No Caching mode page found
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sdg: sdg1
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI removable disk
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'USB_2.0_FD_AD6AHE03000000194', mountpoint 'PNY_USB_2.0_FD' is not set to auto mount.
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdg'.

Does it not show up in the UD page?

Please have a look at the two screenshots.

As you can see there's a device sdb with the partition AW11 shown on the Main tab. Two historical devices/partition U33 and R15 are visible as well.

On the console you can see a partition ELEMENTAL on sdb. This is an old already removed USB device. I can't umount that device.

The AW11 USB stick is attached currently and shown on the Main tab. BUT it's missing in the mount list. ELEMENTAL is shown instead. Needless to say that if I navigate to AW11 on the Main tab the folder/file list is empty.

This is the only free USB port I'm using. No way to swap USB ports, because the rest is blocked with USB license sticks passed thru to VMs.

What's happening here? And is there a way to fix that without rebooting the server?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Diagnostics attached.

Unbenannt.jpg.e4aa8f743827d739e3126761ef4ed474.jpg

Unbenannt2.jpg.5565429c53633ff5c5f93c3101232556.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20201223-1107.zip

4 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Please have a look at the two screenshots.

As you can see there's a device sdb with the partition AW11 shown on the Main tab. Two historical devices/partition U33 and R15 are visible as well.

On the console you can see a partition ELEMENTAL on sdb. This is an old already removed USB device. I can't umount that device.

The AW11 USB stick is attached currently and shown on the Main tab. BUT it's missing in the mount list. ELEMENTAL is shown instead. Needless to say that if I navigate to AW11 on the Main tab the folder/file list is empty.

This is the only free USB port I'm using. No way to swap USB ports, because the rest is blocked with USB license sticks passed thru to VMs.

What's happening here? And is there a way to fix that without rebooting the server?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Diagnostics attached.

Unbenannt.jpg.e4aa8f743827d739e3126761ef4ed474.jpg

Unbenannt2.jpg.5565429c53633ff5c5f93c3101232556.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20201223-1107.zip 358.28 kB · 0 downloads

It looks like the disk went off-line or was unplugged.  You attempted several times to re-connect it, or the port went off-line and back on-line.  I don't know how to clear this up without a re-boot.

Reboot? Oh, sh*t.

This is USB, disks can go offline. User simply remove them without unmounting before. Something they do on Windows, etc. all the time. Linux can't work with that? Unbelievable.

In my case I could not Unmount thru the UD plugin. It simply didn't unmount. So I simply removed the device. 

Thanks.

Edited by hawihoney
25 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Reboot? Oh, sh*t.

This is USB, disks can go offline. User simply remove them without unmounting before. Something they do on Windows, etc. all the time. Linux can't work with that? Unbelievable.

In my case I could not Unmount thru the UD plugin. It simply didn't unmount. So I simply removed the device. 

Thanks.

Try:

unmount /dev/sdb1

at the command line and see if it will unmount.  Let me know if it does and I will try to come up with an answer for UD to handle this situation.

42 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Reboot? Oh, sh*t.

Thanks.

If a disk won't unmount, the answer is not to just yank it out of the system.  Find out why it won't unmount and clear it up.  Linux is a lot more particular about unmounting devices.