Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

Looks like it was recognized by UD:

Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: usb 3-9: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: usb-storage 3-9:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Dec 23 00:37:59 iNAS kernel: scsi host7: usb-storage 3-9:1.0
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     PNY      USB 2.0 FD       1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] 15950592 512-byte logical blocks: (8.17 GB/7.61 GiB)
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Write Protect is off
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] No Caching mode page found
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sdg: sdg1
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI removable disk
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'USB_2.0_FD_AD6AHE03000000194', mountpoint 'PNY_USB_2.0_FD' is not set to auto mount.
Dec 23 00:38:00 iNAS unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdg'.

Does it not show up in the UD page?

hi, this is my USB stick which I also tried. its 8GB and it appears in UD page but when I insert the 8TB external nothing shows in UD page. 

Edited by emersonicus
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Try:

unmount /dev/sdb1

at the command line and see if it will unmount.  Let me know if it does and I will try to come up with an answer for UD to handle this situation.

root@Tower:~# mount | grep sdb
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/disks/Elements type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

root@Tower:~# umount /dev/sdb1
umount: /mnt/disks/Elements: not mounted.

Funny result.

On 12/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, dlandon said:

I don't know where that inappropriate name came from, but UD can't handle that.  I'd like to try to understand how this happened.  It looks like your remote server gave some html code.

Please post diagnostics first, then delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg file and reboot.

This will remove all of your remote mounts.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer.

I defently try to delete the samba_mount.cfg from the UAD folder.

I also attached the diagnostics.

Thanks again and happy holiday

unraid-diagnostics-20201223-1431.zip

6 hours ago, hawihoney said:

root@Tower:~# mount | grep sdb
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/disks/Elements type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

root@Tower:~# umount /dev/sdb1
umount: /mnt/disks/Elements: not mounted.

Funny result.

What shows in UD now?

31 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What shows in UD now?

The same as in the screenshot of the main page above. UD shows sdb1/AW11 while mount reports sdb1/Elements.

sdb1/Elements is not attached to mainboard. Currently attached, but not mounted and not useable, is sdb1/AW11.

Unraid is completely out of sync here. Can't believe that something like that still happens.

Edited by hawihoney
6 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Stupid question to the post above.

Linux seems to see AW11. Is it possible to mount it manually:

root@Tower:~# ls /dev/disk/by-label
AW11@  UNRAID@

Probably not.  So it seems that you had the Elements disk installed then pulled it out when it wouldn't unmount, then installed the AW11? The AW11 got the sdb designation when it was installed, that was originally the Elements disk?

It looks like you are completely messed up and a reboot might be he only answer.

7 hours ago, Squid said:

That's yet another reason why USB drives aren't recommended for use as array drives (even though you're not using it like that).  Oft times the bridging plays havoc with SNs, SMART etc.

I was using the USB 3.0 dock to preclear a hard drive for later when my LSI 9211-8i card arrives instead of using a spare PC.

Will the name preclear uses affect adding to the array later? I.e.  clear drive again even though it doesn't need to.

I also had to double check it was the 6TB EFRX drive and not preclear the wrong drive.

Edited by Paul_Ber

Unraid itself IDs the drive model and s/n correctly, so it is UD not IDing correctly. 20201225_105620.thumb.jpg.661eaa949e6184002dac4fb4d0f7d480.jpg

UD section of main Unraid screen not getting models and s/n correct. 

Screenshot_20201225-105847_Chrome.jpg.d88f90f3462ae3e677c6558f5d88adad.jpg

So it looks like maybe UD gets its information from this part of Unraid?   See how Unraid is splitting the names in the 3rd column?

Screenshot_20201225-110320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be180cd592dc903010989b0c341a271d.jpg

Edited by Paul_Ber
3 hours ago, Paul_Ber said:

Unraid itself IDs the drive model and s/n correctly, so it is UD not IDing correctly. 

Looks to me like UD is working fine.

The information you are showing comes from he drive, not Unraid.

3 hours ago, Paul_Ber said:

Oft times the bridging plays havoc with SNs, SMART etc.

This is an issue UD cannot get around.

4 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

i changed the mount point of an unassigned disk.  noticed that the old mount point with a "?" mark in front of it is showing when browsing MC and when browsing Krusader.

unassigned_disk_questionmark.jpeg.abb1ff9ffe90639ea6ea871ee4db8cfa.jpeg

how to get rid of this?

thanks.

You actually entered a '?' in the mount point?  Is it a physical disk or a remote share mount?  Can you show a screen shot of UD?

On 12/27/2020 at 5:55 AM, dlandon said:

You actually entered a '?' in the mount point?  Is it a physical disk or a remote share mount?  Can you show a screen shot of UD?

no, i did not enter a "?" mark in the mount point.  a physical disk.

unassigned_disk_questionmark_moreinfo.thumb.jpeg.dd1cc44c66276f653e167ee2e5046727.jpeg

so, the "?unassigned_disk4" mount point does not show up in the UD.  it is the one i changed.  new is in circled in red above.  but i can see old one when navigating (/mnt/disks/) Krusader or MC.

unassigned_disk_questionmark_mc.jpeg.ae6d811060a970b703850d4a46c6d994.jpeg

but cannot delete it due to permissions.  was going to change permissions, then delete but wanted to get your input first.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
2 hours ago, dlandon said:

A "Show Partitions" switch has been added to set showing all partitions by specific hard drive device and not generically as before.  The option to show all partitions has been removed from the UD Settings.

Perfect, I was wondering where this went, thanks for the explainer. I got it figured out.

Early first impression after 2 minutes of use... I like it! Positive enhancements, thank you @dlandon !

Yes, here the headline flashes too.  (Safari on iPad)
BTW, I wish there is a switch in the header where I can switch off the automatic refresh.

In the Main page, the Reads and Writes are switchable between absolute number of Reads/Writes and Bytes/s. Is the possible for Unassigned Devices too?

Edited by Ralf.