Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

3 hours ago, madshi said:

I'm still having nervous behaviour with my running preclear actions. The preclear info comes and goes every 1-3 seconds.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the unassigned devices plugin, just to be safe I really have the latest. But the preclear refresh cycle still happens.

Preclear is not a part of UD, but UD picks up the preclear plugin script information and displays it in UD.  Because of the recent changes to UD, @gfjardim will have to look at updating the preclear plugin and/or do a PR and change UD.

Uninstalling and re-installing a plugin is not necessary if you have run the plugin update and don't see an update.  Generally uninstalling and re-installing a plugin doesn't fix anything.

5 hours ago, madshi said:

I'm still having nervous behaviour with my running preclear actions. The preclear info comes and goes every 1-3 seconds.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the unassigned devices plugin, just to be safe I really have the latest. But the preclear refresh cycle still happens.

Preclear is also available as a docker. You may want to try that so that it will be isolated from the rest of your system.

Preclear is not a part of UD, but UD picks up the preclear plugin script information and displays it in UD.  Because of the recent changes to UD, @gfjardim will have to look at updating the preclear plugin and/or do a PR and change UD.

Uninstalling and re-installing a plugin is not necessary if you have run the plugin update and don't see an update.  Generally uninstalling and re-installing a plugin doesn't fix anything.
Dan, have you any diagnostic of what this is about? Can it be UD refreshing and then Preclear so there are times which preclear info is missing?

Enviado de meu SM-G985F usando o Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

Dan, have you any diagnostic of what this is about? Can it be UD refreshing and then Preclear so there are times which preclear info is missing?

Not sure.  I did a little troubleshooting and didn't come up with anything.  What's odd, every other refresh, there appears to be no preclear info.

2 hours ago, gfjardim said:

If I remove the id from:

$hdd_serial .= "{$preclear_link}<span id='preclear_{$disk['serial_short']}' style='display:block;'></span>";

It does not blink on and off, but it does not display either.  Could preclear be changing the span id and clearing it?  When the brush icon is showing, there is no blinking.

56 minutes ago, Thorsten said:

I have a problem when I view the partitions of a drive via Settings.

I can not undo this later. The partitions are now always visible.

The minus sign is disabled. The option "Show Partitions" is not activated after redisplaying the settings.

Is this a bug ?

Yes, fixed in the nest release.

Edited by dlandon

RC2 with 2020.12.19

For a long time I used UD to share a 6TB drive, which was previosuly used in a Windows PC and only contains a single NTFS partition.
That drive/smb share still works nicely! 👍

However today I added a 512GB SSD (using the same settings in UD as the 6TB drive).
When I access that share from a Windows PC it tells me that it is "write proteced"!?!?
Even though "read only" is not enabled in UD.
The settings are identical to the 6TB drive and the same SMB user is used as for the 6TB drive. O.o

Another thing I just noticed is that the "Change Disk UUID" dropdown list in the UD settings is empty.

ReadOnly.jpg

write protected.jpg

7 hours ago, cholzer said:

When I access that share from a Windows PC it tells me that it is "write proteced"!?!?
Even though "read only" is not enabled in UD.

Look at the log.  The disk is probably being mounted read only.  This can happen with some NTFS formatted disks.

7 hours ago, cholzer said:

Another thing I just noticed is that the "Change Disk UUID" dropdown list in the UD settings is empty.

That only applies to XFS formatted disks.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Look at the log.  The disk is probably being mounted read only.  This can happen with some NTFS formatted disks.

That only applies to XFS formatted disks.

Thank you!
I was only looking at the log next to the disk in UD which did not show anything. Looking at the correct log I guess there is indeed something wrong with that partition. I did shutdown the PC as usual though before I removed it. Well... lets investigate. O.o

Dec 30 22:17:36 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

Edited by cholzer
3 minutes ago, cholzer said:

Thank you!
I was only looking at the log next to the disk in UD which did not show anything. Looking at the correct log I guess there is indeed something wrong with that partition. I did shutdown the PC as usual though before I removed it. Well... lets investigate. O.o

Dec 30 22:17:36 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

The log on the UD page is for the script that would run if you have one setup.  As you found out, the syslog is the go to place for UD logging.

You'll need to put the disk back in a Windows computer and fix the issue with the disk.  If it's a bootable disk, you'll need to turn off hibernation and fast boot.

• Like 1

I have two drives precleared that appear in unassigned devices to be incrementing reads every few seconds, i've never noticed this before, and just wondered what might be causing it, or if its a bug or if i should be even more worried 😂

Logs for scripts and the device dont shown anything, and the drives themselves are obviously unmounted and unformated, so i dont really understand what even could be read....

image.png

alexserver-diagnostics-20201231-1550.zip

3 hours ago, alexdodd said:

I have two drives precleared that appear in unassigned devices to be incrementing reads every few seconds, i've never noticed this before, and just wondered what might be causing it, or if its a bug or if i should be even more worried 😂

It's not a bug.  The reads are legit.  You've never noticed it before because UD didn't show reads and writes until 6.9 and UD now refreshes those periodically so you can see them change.

I suspect that the preclear plugin is monitoring the disk.  Remove the preclear plugin and see if the reads stop.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

It's not a bug.  The reads are legit.  You've never noticed it before because UD didn't show reads and writes until 6.9 and UD now refreshes those periodically so you can see them change.

I suspect that the preclear plugin is monitoring the disk.  Remove the preclear plugin and see if the reads stop.

Sweet, sorry I missed the update changelog, my bad!

Good point, I'll have a play with plugins, I just think it's best the drives spin down, so I'll see if I can track down what is causing it.