Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, SimplifyAndAddCoffee said:

I have a UD disk that I am running my dockers on. 

I want to know if there is a way to create custom mount points and shares on the UD disk and control access via SMB users. 

When I share the UD disk, it creates a public share at \\server\Patriot_Blaze_DE3F07580DC602009379\

I do not want it public, and I also don't want it named Patriot_Blaze_DE3F07580DC602009379.

There are a couple things I am hoping to do with this:

1.  I want to be able to run an rsync cron job to back up the contents of the UD disk to /mnt/user/backup/docker
  2. I would like to rename the disk, if possible
  3. I want to be able to mount and share arbitrary directories within the UD disk, for example /mnt/disks/Patriot_Blaze_DE3F07580DC602009379/appdata/swag/www as \\server\www only visible to specific samba users
  4. I want to be able to mount shares to arbitrary directories within the UD disk, for example I want to mount /mnt/user/media (or \\server\media) to /mnt/disks/Patriot_Blaze_DE3F07580DC602009379/appdata/swag/www/media
  5. I want to be able to persist all of this

What would be the way to go about this?

You can rename the disk by clicking on the mountpoint when the disk is not mounted.

For the rest of your request, the best is to use Unraid 6.9 and put the disk in the pool.  You can then manage access rights by Unraid shares.

11 minutes ago, SimplifyAndAddCoffee said:

Tempting but sounds risky. Is there even a way to pool the disk without losing the data that is currently on it? I have a ton of dockers and a VM all dependent on that disk.

If it is formatted xfs or btrfs, you can just move i to the pool.

Hey @dlandon!

First of all, thank you for implementing the toggle switch to ud!

I expirienced a bug today, which was just a few days ago reported from another user in a similar way.

Here's a snap:

image.thumb.png.c11fcdb2b7bca88dd0b5471ace757eef.png

In that moment I was copying a large vdisk to my new nvme (pool device 'images').

As you can see it does report roughly double the maximum theoretical throughput on that read sequence.

The nvme does report the correct write speed.

The other user I mentioned is able to achieve far over 10GB/s write speed reported in the ud section. In fact, his nvme is only capable of 1,7GB/s.

Just wanted to inform you... :) 

The way UD does the disk speed calculations is not that accurate and should only be used as a rough measure of the speed.  It uses the reads and writes reported by Unraid and it's own time interval to determine the speed.  The reads and writes can be chunky at times.  There is no time averaging, or accounting for buffering of the data in ram to smooth out the disk speed.

I replaced every drive in my array and was planning on using unassigned devices to move the data back to the new drives in the array. When I plug an old drive in to attempt to move data on to the new drives in the array it only shows the size and the filesystem just shows a dash. When I attempt xfs_repair I get this:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...

and that just goes on forever. I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate any help. No partitions show and I'm unable to mount the disk.

Edited by JahzyB
53 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

There doesn't appear to be any attempt to attach the disk in question, and the array is stopped. Recreate the issue then collect the diagnostics and post them.

image.thumb.png.dae0773a02a1ef29f391c39e26f043de.png

That's how it looks with the array started or stopped. Not sure how I'd recreate the issue since it is ongoing and is the same as when the array is stopped. I started the array and am attaching diagnostics.

Edited by JahzyB
3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Are you sure the drive you are trying to access was one of the data drives?

Do you have a list of the drives as they were in the array before?

I'm sure it was one of the data drives and not parity. I took a snapshot of the array as it was before. I also just tried a different data drive from my previous configuration and the same thing is happening.

7 minutes ago, JahzyB said:

I'm sure it was one of the data drives and not parity. I took a snapshot of the array as it was before. I also just tried a different data drive from my previous configuration and the same thing is happening.

Can you attach the drive directly to a SATA connection and try again?

6 minutes ago, opdb said:

After i updated the Unassigned Devices Plugin the mounting works and the drive is accessible through krusader but the unmount button isn't working anymore.

977134573_Screenshot2021-02-06213857.thumb.png.90177625451e7926e5f8144857ba9535.png

Click on the '+' and show a screen shot of the mount point.  Also post diagnostics.

1 minute ago, opdb said:

There is no file system on the first partition.  The disk 'Unmount' is based on the first partition.  You can unmount the second partition by clicking on the 'Unmount' button on that partition.

Unmount the second partition and then remove the first partition and it will go back to what you expect.

Can't seem able to mount 2TB USB FAT32 formtted drive:

partd -l

Model: Seagate Expansion (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdg: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  2000GB  2000GB  fat32

fdisk -l /dev/sdg
Disk /dev/sdg: 1.82 TiB, 2000398933504 bytes, 3907029167 sectors
Disk model: Expansion
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x73696d20

Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdg1       1919230059 6204919772 4285689714     2T  a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/sdg2        544829025 1089655755  544826731 259.8G 65 Novell Netware 386
/dev/sdg3        168653938  168653938          0     0B 65 Novell Netware 386
/dev/sdg4       2885681152 2885734080      52929  25.8M  0 Empty

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

It was formatted on xbox 360, does it make a difference? On windows it just show as one fat32 partition. 

I'm able to mount it via shell with mount -t msdos

https://ibb.co/RgT0nrW
https://ibb.co/h2RTw52

But even mount with this command, I'm not able to make directories with long name , guess such mount method on linux can only do 8.3 naming? Is there an option I could tell mount to support long name just like use on windows?

Edited by rampage

Apologies for my urge to post, I tried educating myself first. I promise. I have been inactive on the forum pretty much since October due to hurricane restoration. 

I saw a reference to this plugin from the 6.9.0-beta35 post about the need to convert paths to "mnt/remotes". 

I use UD for Duplicati and my "NZB/downloads" path and have been for a couple years. 

It is currently working fine using "mnt/disks" on all my containers and my legacy switch is set to "No". But the post states to continue using "mnt/disks" to set that to "Yes". 

Also when I try to set my containers to "mnt/remotes" there are no disk available. The plugin is updated and I have restarted multiple times since November. I have done 2 of the 3 suggestions just by updating things since then without knowing about this update.  Am I reading something incorrectly? Do I need to delete UD and start over? 

I am fine with using Legacy or going to /remotes. I just don't want it to brake paths and I not notice. Thanks!

Hi, Unassigned devices stopped showing up, I only realised when a backup failed because it couldn't find the drive.

I rebooted to no avail and then uninstalled the backup and reinstalled.

It showed a warning on the re-install although it seems to be working.

plugin: installing: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-plus.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-plus.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices-plus.plg ... done
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/packages/parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz" ... done

+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus/packages/parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz

Verifying package parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz.
Installing package parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# parted (GNU disk partitioning tool)
#
# GNU Parted is a program for creating, destroying, resizing, checking
# and copying partitions, and the filesystems on them. This is useful
# for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk
# usage, copying data between hard disks, and disk imaging.
#
Executing install script for parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz.
Package parted-3.3-x86_64-1.txz installed.
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/packages/exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz" ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus/packages/exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

Verifying package exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Installing package exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# exfat-utils (exFAT system utilities)
#
# This project aims to provide a full-featured exFAT file system
# implementation for GNU/Linux and other Unix-like systems as a FUSE
# module and a set of utilities.
# module.
#
# This package contains the utilities.
#
# Homepage: https://github.com/relan/exfat
#
Executing install script for exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Package exfat-utils-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz installed.
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/packages/fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz" ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus/packages/fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

Verifying package fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Installing package fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# fuse-exfat (exFAT FUSE module)
#
# This project aims to provide a full-featured exFAT file system
# implementation for GNU/Linux and other Unix-like systems as a FUSE
# module and a set of utilities.
# module.
#
# This package contains the FUSE module.
#
# Homepage: https://github.com/relan/exfat
#
Executing install script for fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Package fuse-exfat-1.3.0-x86_64-1_slonly.txz installed.
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/packages/hfsprogs-332.25-x86_64-2sl.txz" ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus/packages/hfsprogs-332.25-x86_64-2sl.txz

Verifying package hfsprogs-332.25-x86_64-2sl.txz.
Installing package hfsprogs-332.25-x86_64-2sl.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# hfsprogs - hfs+ user space utils
#
# The HFS+ file system used by Apple Computer for their Mac OS is
# supported by the Linux kernel. Apple provides mkfs and fsck for
# HFS+ with the Unix core of their operating system, Darwin.
#
# This package is a port of Apple's tools for HFS+ filesystems.
#
# http://www.opensource.apple.com
Package hfsprogs-332.25-x86_64-2sl.txz installed.
plugin: downloading: "https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/packages/libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz" ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus/packages/libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

Verifying package libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Installing package libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# libbsd (library of BSD functions)
#
# This library provides useful functions commonly found on BSD systems,
# and lacking on others like GNU systems, thus making it easier to port
# projects with strong BSD origins, without needing to embed the same
# code over and over again on each project.
#
# Homepage: http://libbsd.freedesktop.org/wiki/
#
Executing install script for libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz.
Package libbsd-0.8.7-x86_64-1_slonly.txz installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
unassigned.devices-plus has been installed.
Copyright 2015, gfjardim
Copyright 2016-2020, dlandon
Version: 2021.01.24
-----------------------------------------------------------

Warning: copy(/tmp/plugins/unassigned.devices-plus.plg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 524
plugin: installed

Updating Support Links

Finished Installing. If the DONE button did not appear, then you will need to click the red X in the top right corner

DONE

Hi All,

I am new to the UnRaid OS. I installed the Community Addon and this was followed by installing the Unassigned Devices app.

I have two Samsung optical drives.  Each one is connected directly to the motherboard SATA ports.  When I insert a 4.36GB DVD disk into the optical drive tray and close it my Unassigned Devices app does not recognize the data on the 4.36GB DVD disk.  It's as though the optical drive is invisible to my Unassigned Devices app.

Can someone please confirm to me if the Unassigned Devices app is designed to support Optical Drives?  Currently, on my system it seems Unassigned Devices only recognizes a Thumb Drive Stick or a MyBook external hard drive if either one is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

I would be very grateful  if anybody in the community could give me some advice on how I can get my Unassigned Devices app to recognize my Samsung Optical drive connected to my motherboard SATA port.  Thank you for your time.