Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

6 hours ago, slipstream said:

Hi All,

I am new to the UnRaid OS. I installed the Community Addon and this was followed by installing the Unassigned Devices app.

I have two Samsung optical drives.  Each one is connected directly to the motherboard SATA ports.  When I insert a 4.36GB DVD disk into the optical drive tray and close it my Unassigned Devices app does not recognize the data on the 4.36GB DVD disk.  It's as though the optical drive is invisible to my Unassigned Devices app.

Can someone please confirm to me if the Unassigned Devices app is designed to support Optical Drives?  Currently, on my system it seems Unassigned Devices only recognizes a Thumb Drive Stick or a MyBook external hard drive if either one is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

I would be very grateful  if anybody in the community could give me some advice on how I can get my Unassigned Devices app to recognize my Samsung Optical drive connected to my motherboard SATA port.  Thank you for your time.

UD does not support optical drives.  You can mount the drive in a VM or Docker depending on your use case, or create an iso file from the DVD and mount that with UD.

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

UD does not support optical drives.  You can mount the drive in a VM or Docker depending on your use case, or create an iso file from the DVD and mount that with UD.

Dlandon,

Thank you for your post.  Just as a hypothetical idea. What if I buy a portable optical drive that connects via a USB 3.0 male connector to the female USB 3.0 port on my UnRaid NAS, will Unassigned Devices work with such a USB 3.0 connection? My hunch is UD might look at the portable optical drive as if it were an external hard drive or thumb drive connected to the USB 3.0 port.

You mention dockers. Could you please name a docker app that supports an Optical Drive ?   As for virtual machines, that is my last option because it seems to be the most complicated one.

Edited by slipstream

UD specifically ignores optical drives, no matter how they are connected to Unraid.

10 minutes ago, slipstream said:

You mention dockers. Could you please name a docker app that supports an Optical Drive ?

Handbrake - used to rip DVDs.

11 minutes ago, slipstream said:

As for virtual machines, that is my last option because it seems to be the most complicated one.

It's very easy.  Look at this:

Hi folks

When I swap over external backup HDD drives and I click the UNMOUNT button on the main tab, Unraid doesn't always unmount said drive correctly and, while the system still seems to work without issue, I get multiple (2-4/minute) errors in the syslog (EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1455: inode #2: comm pool-16-thread-: reading directory lblock 0), which rapidly fills up; this is probably because the backup docker is still continuously trying to access the disk. Running the umount command in terminal fixes this, but I really would like a fix for this. Can anyone suggest anything?

1 hour ago, Boyturtle said:

Hi folks

When I swap over external backup HDD drives and I click the UNMOUNT button on the main tab, Unraid doesn't always unmount said drive correctly and, while the system still seems to work without issue, I get multiple (2-4/minute) errors in the syslog (EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1455: inode #2: comm pool-16-thread-: reading directory lblock 0), which rapidly fills up; this is probably because the backup docker is still continuously trying to access the disk. Running the umount command in terminal fixes this, but I really would like a fix for this. Can anyone suggest anything?

Are you unmounting the drive before you remove it?  You can't remove the drive until it is successfully unmounted.

Post diagnostics.

11 minutes ago, Boyturtle said:

Yes, I unmount by pressing the UNMOUNT button in the main page of Unraid. It's a bit hit and miss tbh, as it sometimes unmounts correctly and other times not

speedy-diagnostics-20210212-1137.zip 174.99 kB · 0 downloads

It doesn't appear to be related solely to unmounting of the disk.  I recommend the following:

• Remove the preclear plugin.
  • Set the drive in question to not automount.
  • Remove the drive in question.  USB drives should be unmounted and removed from the system when you reboot.
  • Reboot the server.
  • Plug the USB disk back in and mount it manually.
  • Check the log for errors before unmounting it.

I suspect that the drive has some issues.  Post diagnostics again if the log has errors.

Why are you using EXT4 on the disk?

1 hour ago, srepper said:

Hey lovely community,

i installed 'Unassigned Devices' but my storage doesn't mount automatically.
i tried it with fstab, but fstab delete after every reboot.

and under assigned devices isn't found there

so what is the best way ?

unraid.png

You have put your UD devices in the pool.  Stop the array and remove them from the pool.  You will then see them in the Unassigned Devices.

30 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You have put your UD devices in the pool.  Stop the array and remove them from the pool.  You will then see them in the Unassigned Devices.

thank you, i stopped the array, did a new configuration (via tools).

if i use lsblk, my storage isn't still mounted.

unraid1.png

unraid2.png

Edited by srepper
55 minutes ago, srepper said:

unraid1.png

unraid2.png

55 minutes ago, srepper said:

unraid1.png

unraid2.png

Click the 'Mount' button on the UD disk.

I've been using the plugin and it works very well.

I have 6 disks connected as UD. 3 NVME and 1 internal disk connect well and can be mounted.

I'd also like to connect one disk via USB. Unfortunately, this does not work and the "mount" button is greyed out. It used to work before, but stopped some days ago. I connected the disk to a notebook to eliminate a disk error. The notebook can identify the disk in the USB enclosure without problem.

Below info from the disk log information:

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 11721045168 512-byte logical blocks: (6.00 TB/5.46 TiB)
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 4096-byte physical blocks
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write Protect is off
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Mode Sense: 47 00 00 08
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sdt: sdt1
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Attached SCSI disk
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

Any help appreciated!

2 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I have 6 disks connected as UD. 3 NVME and 1 internal disk connect well and can be mounted.

I'd also like to connect one disk via USB. Unfortunately, this does not work and the "mount" button is greyed out. It used to work before, but stopped some days ago. I connected the disk to a notebook to eliminate a disk error. The notebook can identify the disk in the USB enclosure without problem.

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] 11721045168 512-byte logical blocks: (6.00 TB/5.46 TiB)
Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

Any help appreciated!

Log snippets are not very useful in troubleshooting problems.  Please post diagnostics for better support. 

On 2/12/2021 at 11:57 AM, dlandon said:

It doesn't appear to be related solely to unmounting of the disk.  I recommend the following:

• Remove the preclear plugin. Done
  • Set the drive in question to not automount. All UD disks showing as Automount on when hovering over settings button, but when clicking on button, it shows as off. It doesn't matter if the setting is set to off or on, the disk mounts automatically
  • Remove the drive in question.  USB drives should be unmounted and removed from the system when you reboot. Ok
  • Reboot the server.
  • Plug the USB disk back in and mount it manually.
  • Check the log for errors before unmounting it.

I suspect that the drive has some issues.  Post diagnostics again if the log has errors.

Why are you using EXT4 on the disk? No particular reason, it was just convenient. Would I be better off using another fs, disks are used for backup.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to the settings and then turn on and back off the automount.  That should clear it up.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I did that already and the automount is showing as off in the settings, but on when I hover the mouse over it. The drive automounts regardless of the position in settings.

23 minutes ago, Boyturtle said:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I did that already and the automount is showing as off in the settings, but on when I hover the mouse over it. The drive automounts regardless of the position in settings.

Delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.disks/unassigned.devices.cfg file, then click on the 'Refresh Disks and Configuration" icon (double arrows in the upper right) and see if it doesn't clear up the automount.

Edited by dlandon
typo
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Any help appreciated!

The diagnostics you gave me only go through Feb 12th.  The log snippet you posted was for Feb 14th.  Please update the diagnostics to cover Feb 14th and post those.

11 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Any help appreciated!

I just looked through the diagnostics and it appears you have assigned USB disks to the array.  If that's true, that's not a good idea.  I suspect you are also using external drive bays.  That might also be a problem.

55 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.disks/unassigned.devices.cfg file, then click on the 'Refresh Disks and Configuration" icon (double arrows in the upper right) and see if it doesn't clear up the automount.

That seems to have sorted it. Hopefully this will resolve the issue of the ext drives not unmounting when they should; time will tell over the over the next couple of weeks when I do the backup disk swap out.  Thanks for your assistance and persistence 🙂