Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

49 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Sorry for that. Issue is with "sdt" (unassigned disk connected via USB). It used to work very well, but now stopped for some days.

tower-diagnostics-20210215-0806.zip 256.28 kB · 1 download

The sdt disk is marked as pass through.  UD will not mount a passed through disk.

Feb 14 16:04:26 Tower kernel: sd 12:0:0:0: [sdt] Attached SCSI disk
Feb 14 16:04:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'nal_USB_3.0_2015033100081', mountpoint 'TO_Exter_nal_USB_3.0' is set as pass through.
Feb 14 16:36:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdt 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

The timeout error is UD trying to get the disk standby status.  That's probably a USB cable or port issue, or an issue if the disk is in an external bay.

Hi, I'm just setting up my first array and VM's planning to migrate data from my old pre-Unraid disks. In this thread in another topic, I was advised to passthrough all three 3 TB drives in an Intel RST RAID 5 set, but as shown below, only one of the there (marked in green) has the gears while the other two drives in the set (marked in red) do not:

image.thumb.png.e13f2665f95aa1f8abfbe328855fc42d.png

How do I pass them through?

Addendum: Sorry, just as I sent this I got a reply in the other thread:

Those drives without the icon aren't being intercepted by UD, so those can be passed through normally without changing any settings.

I was under the impression that "normally" as of the 6.9 UI is via the gears? The passthrough switches have gone away, including for the lines without gears, as you can see in the screenshot.

I wonder what's the difference between Dev 2 (with the gears) and Devs 3/4 (without), anyway?

Edited by TreyH
Adding new material
On 12/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, dlandon said:

The latest version of UD maps the remote shares to /mnt/remotes/.  You are encouraged to change your Docker Container and VM mappings to the new mount point.

If you can't do that, go the UD settings and set 'Legacy Mount Point Compatibility?' to 'Yes'.  Then unmount and re-mount the remote shares.  There will be symlinks created at /mnt/disks/ to the remote shares mounted at /mnt/remotes/.  You won't have to change any Docker Container or VM mappings.

Hi 

So I read that UD mounts to mnt/remotes but mine do not. I have tried the Leagacy mode and it did not help. I have tried to remove the UD and UD plus and made a reboot and install them again, but still the when I mount the disks (partitions) get under mnt/disks/.....

The problem is that my Home Assistant Vm reports Ext4 errors and goes in emergency mode and my Shinobi docker won´t work (I have my CCTV recording mapped to an UD disk) 

I understand that some other have had this problem aswell but did not manage to resolve it. 

If I look under my HA VM I see a remotes path but its eamty. 

I do have a disks path with my stuff but it don´t work as stated above. 

How can I resolve this? Thanks in advance. 

28 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Disks without a file system will not show the settings icon (three gears) as the settings there do not apply.

How do you pass those through to a VM, then?

(Would I have been unable to do the same thing to /dev/sde, if I hadn't clicked the settings and switched on passthrough on the disk that did have settings?)

I'm not sure why it thinks this disk and only this disk has a filesystem whose type is "isw_raid_member", when it's actually an NTFS filesystem striped across two other disks as well:

root@NAS:~# lsblk -fM
NAME   FSTYPE        FSVER 
[...]
sdb    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
sde    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
└─sde1 isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
sdf    isw_raid_memb 1.3.00
[...]

43 minutes ago, Micro553 said:

So I read that UD mounts to mnt/remotes

Remote shares, not physical disks.  Legacy mode maps these to /mnt/disks.

Physical disks mount to /mnt/disks/.

45 minutes ago, Micro553 said:

I do have a disks path with my stuff but it don´t work as stated above. 

What doesn't work?

11 minutes ago, TreyH said:

How do you pass those through to a VM, then?

(Would I have been unable to do the same thing to /dev/sde, if I hadn't clicked the settings and switched on passthrough on the disk that did have settings?)

The UD pass through setting is more of a convenience than a requirement.  You can pass through a disk any time without the 'Pass Through' switch being on.  With it on though, UD will not allow mounting of the disk.  If UD mounts a passed through disk, the file system will be corrupted.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:11 PM, itimpi said:

It is interesting that fdisk does not show any of the partitions as being a FAT type.  Maybe you would have better luck if you used Windows to delete the existing partitions and then created a new FAT/FAT32 one and formatted the drive on Windows?

It was formatted by xbox 360 game console thus the partition table might have some special thing in it. 

Windows can read write the fat32 partition just fine, fdisk might have got confused with those 

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

Remote shares, not physical disks.  Legacy mode maps these to /mnt/disks.

Physical disks mount to /mnt/disks/.

What doesn't work?

I have 2 disks with 3 partitions and 3 Shares 

CCTV - one disk

VM and Lagring - 2 partitions on 1 disk

When UD mounts the disks the shares are in mnt/disks/VM etc..... This gives the following error see pic. 

I´m desperate as my Shinobi docker don´t work and my HA VM don´t work. 

You said that the best thing is to map to /remotes instead of /disks in VM and docker but I can´t as remotes is empty. 

HA VM error.PNG

Remotes are empty.PNG

UD disks.PNG

UD mountpoint without Leagacy Mode.PNG

4 hours ago, Micro553 said:

When UD mounts the disks the shares are in mnt/disks/VM etc..... This gives the following error see pic. 

That looks like a disk problem.

4 hours ago, Micro553 said:

You said that the best thing is to map to /remotes instead of /disks in VM and docker but I can´t as remotes is empty. 

You have physical disks.  They will mount to /mnt/disks/, not /mnt/remotes/ regardless of the legacy setting.  I've said this before - please read this carefully.

Hi,

I am trying to mount a Windows 10 share on both my unraid servers but although the share adds successfully they wont mount?  I just get mounting for a few seconds and then back to mount again, there is nothing in the log.

1, unraid1 & unraid2 users have been added to my Windows 10 machine with full access.

2, I have shared a drive and a folder with full access to each share

3, when I add the share I am clicking "load shares" and the shares are shown, I select either one and get the same mounting/mount scenario mentioned above.

4, this happens on both of my unraid servers running on Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

5, I am able to access these newly created shares on other Windows machines on my network.

6, I have installed unassigned devices & unassigned devices plus installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, mbc0 said:

Hi,

I am trying to mount a Windows 10 share on both my unraid servers but although the share adds successfully they wont mount?  I just get mounting for a few seconds and then back to mount again, there is nothing in the log.

1, unraid1 & unraid2 users have been added to my Windows 10 machine with full access.

2, I have shared a drive and a folder with full access to each share

3, when I add the share I am clicking "load shares" and the shares are shown, I select either one and get the same mounting/mount scenario mentioned above.

4, this happens on both of my unraid servers running on Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

5, I am able to access these newly created shares on other Windows machines on my network.

6, I have installed unassigned devices & unassigned devices plus installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post diagnostics.

Not sure if it is related or not but I also have difficulty with some mountpoints between my 2 unraid servers.

They work for a couple of hours and then go stale.

I have 2 unraid servers both running Version: 6.9.0-rc2 and SMB shares between them go stale daily,  is this a known problem or is there any better way of sharing files between servers?

image.png.62fbac1a5d45c72ae0e5731adabe778d.png

image.png.805280a9621c3237fe79a00f23306d3f.png