Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

5 hours ago, ronald_c said:

i can not see this plus,what should i do?

The UD plus doesn't have anything to display in a user interface.  It's a background plugin that installs some packages for supporting additional features.

I don't see the same issue with the blank screen you are showing here.

1 hour ago, ViperSuicide said:

Usb wouldn’t unmount so I pulled the power.

That's not a good idea with Linux.  Find out why it won't unmount and unmount it properly.

1 hour ago, ViperSuicide said:

Then when I plugged it back in Unraid couldn’t mount it again showing errors in syslog that it was already mounted.

Linux thinks it's still mounted.

Don't just pull a drive out of Linux without unmounting it properly.  You'll have to reboot to clear it up.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

That's not a good idea with Linux.  Find out why it won't unmount and unmount it properly.

Linux thinks it's still mounted.

Don't just pull a drive out of Linux without unmounting it properly.  You'll have to reboot to clear it up.

Thanks. Any tips on finding out why it won’t unmount so I can avoid having to pull the power?

A recent update started to force SMB 2.1, which has broken one of my SMB connections (the device does not support anything higher than SMB1). How do I go about forcing SMB 1.0 for that particular connection?

I have viewed the settings for this particular connection and it says the script file resides at /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/xxxxxxxxx.sh but there is no such file within that directory. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, JimJamUrUnraid said:

A recent update started to force SMB 2.1, which has broken one of my SMB connections (the device does not support anything higher than SMB1). How do I go about forcing SMB 1.0 for that particular connection?

UD will try all versions of SMB until successful and will eventually try 1.0.  You don't need to force it to 1.0.

2 hours ago, JimJamUrUnraid said:

I have viewed the settings for this particular connection and it says the script file resides at /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/xxxxxxxxx.sh but there is no such file within that directory. Any guidance would be appreciated.

You probably haven't created the script file yet.  The edit settings only shows the proposed script file name if one hasn't been created.

If you can't mount a SMB mount, post diagnostics so we can have a look.

Hello!

I am not completely sure that this is a UD problem, but i'll start here.

I have a SSD mounted as a UD, this is then passed through to a VM. Everything works fine but the SSD is giving me CRC errors (SMART attribute 199), and this is fine. It's not critical and I am planning to replace it at a later time.

However, I have toggled notifications off for just attribute 199 but it does not "take". I still get notifications, 

/boot/config/smart-one.cfg

[KINGSTON_SA400S37960G_XXXXXX]
smEvents="5|187|197|198"

Device settings

image.png.495ef53c6d19ca0da3301751375c2687.png

I am on Unraid 6.9.1 and UD 2021.03.20. Have any one else encountered this? Like I said, I am not sure if this is a UD or Unraid issue.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, makkish said:

SSD is giving me CRC errors (SMART attribute 199), and this is fine. It's not critical and I am planning to replace it at a later time.

However, I have toggled notifications off for just attribute 199 but it does not "take". I still get notifications, 

CRC errors are connection issues not disk problems. Don't disable the notification. Go to the Dashboard page and click on the SMART warning for that disk and Acknowledge it, then it won't warn you again until it increases.

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

How are you passing through the disk?  Does the VM mount the disk?

Unraid is actually doing the disk monitoring and notification.

Yes, I have added the disk as a 2nd vDisk location

image.png.89c1698c7032834d7f4b97e4083215d2.png

It has nothing to do with UD then I guess.

51 minutes ago, trurl said:

CRC errors are connection issues not disk problems. Don't disable the notification. Go to the Dashboard page and click on the SMART warning for that disk and Acknowledge it, then it won't warn you again until it increases.

Thanks for the clarification.

I just figured out another issue, despite the warnings of CRC errors, SMART appear as healthy on the dashboard:

image.png.94e88197afa2f78aca1d1814960048df.png

I guess I should continue my issues in another forum instead, since this seem to have nothing to do with UD.

Edited by makkish

I'm struggling to mount an UD disk in a user script.

When I mount the disk in the console with
/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount /dev/sdg

I get "unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted" in the log. Perfect. Great ;)

When I try in a user script with the same command...the mount process is stuck and log report: "unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/mountpointname..." 

Any idea of why in the script the mount process do not proceed ? 

<edit> when I kill the script I get "emhttpd: shcmd (452): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdg1 mountpointname" in the log. 

<edit> retried and got :"

Apr 2 09:49:28 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/partitionname'...
Apr 2 09:49:38 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (197): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdg1 paritionname"

Do I need a keyfile or array passphase is alright to mount with UD like that ?

Edited by unraidnas
add info

I have a couple of NTFS disks that don't seem to be recognized properly and can't be mounted. Simple basic volumes with a single partition, look and function normally in W10, chkdsk /f is clean.

There is this:

fdisk -l | grep NTFS 

Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Relevant files attached. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 16.43.47.png

log.txt u-diagnostics-20210402-1647.zip

fdisk.txt

Edited by wibble
On 4/1/2021 at 8:37 AM, unraidnas said:

I get "unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted" in the log. Perfect. Great ;)

When I try in a user script with the same command...the mount process is stuck and log report: "unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/mountpointname..." 

Did you unmount it before trying to mount it with the user script?

On 4/1/2021 at 8:37 AM, unraidnas said:

Do I need a keyfile or array passphase is alright to mount with UD like that ?

Either one will work.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, wibble said:

I have a couple of NTFS disks that don't seem to be recognized properly and can't be mounted. Simple basic volumes with a single partition, look and function normally in W10, chkdsk /f is clean.

There is this:

fdisk -l | grep NTFS 

Relevant files attached. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 16.43.47.png

log.txt 2.25 kB · 0 downloads u-diagnostics-20210402-1647.zip 78.18 kB · 0 downloads

fdisk.txt 1.09 kB · 0 downloads

There is no file system on the first partition.  The second partition has a problem with an explanation on how to sort it out:

Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: No filesystem detected on '/dev/sdb1'.
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD100EFAX-68LHPN0_JEJ0YKMM-part1' cannot be mounted.
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdb2'...
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ntfs -o ro,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdb2' '/mnt/disks/TV'
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdb2' failed. Error message:  does not match  (record 32). Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details. 
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Partition 'TV' cannot be mounted.

On 1/21/2016 at 4:55 PM, dlandon said:

Unassigned Devices Best Practices

Here are some best practices I recommend when using unassigned devices.

• [...]

Hi, there are some conundrums in sharing unassigned dev's, resp. it is eventually about my comprehension. In the second part I'd like to know more about attaching external Thunderbolt (2 or 3) disks (e.g. Promise Pegasus2 RAID compound) to UNRAID as UD.

I run UNRAID on my DIY server using a set of HDs and SSD for my classical UNRAID array. There are some other drives that remained unassigned and which I'd like to use and share. I followed the instructions (and in the videos) that you all know. (installing the UD and UD+ and User Scripts Plugins, enabling Destructive Mode, etc.). I'm able to format my SATA DOM SSD and USB pendrive. I also enabled 'Disk Shares' in UNRAID because I deemed this necessary.

But ... when I change the toggle switch to 'Share', it won't show up the dev in UNRAID's Share section!

It took me quite a while and many research attempts to finally understand that I can access this dev via SMB from any computer but that such shared UD wouldn't show up in that Section, which is kinda annoying.

Could you confirm whether this is the case and whether this will change in future?

Could you add a clause to your guide so that it is clear to all users. During my researches I stumbled upon other users with the same experience.

Secondly, re the Thunderbolt. I did researches. The information I found states that Linux and thus UNRAID support lacks. Some ppl managed to make some Thunderbolt PCI-e cards run with UNRAID. But barely nobody wants to buy HW without knowing whether it will do the job.

In case Thunderbolt adapter X will be recognized by UNRAID, will it then also work with the UD plugin? I'm asking this as the UD plugin settings only show USB related params. Any recommendations for such card? It is an ASRock server MoBo for the latest Rayzen gen.

16 hours ago, dlandon said:

There is no file system on the first partition.  The second partition has a problem with an explanation on how to sort it out:

Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: No filesystem detected on '/dev/sdb1'.
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD100EFAX-68LHPN0_JEJ0YKMM-part1' cannot be mounted.
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdb2'...
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ntfs -o ro,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,nls=utf8,umask=000 '/dev/sdb2' '/mnt/disks/TV'
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdb2' failed. Error message:  does not match  (record 32). Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details. 
Apr  2 16:42:42 u unassigned.devices: Partition 'TV' cannot be mounted.

Yes, I had all ready done the chkdsk /f and reboot into Windows twice * 2. Same issue with two other disks on another controller also. Just the 1 simple basic volume per disk, nothing else going on. No kind of RAID or anything.

Can block size be a problem? They're all 64K. But I'd have thought there would be some relevant search results somewhere if it was an issue.

2 hours ago, EightBall said:

enabled 'Disk Shares' in UNRAID because I deemed this necessary

I recommend NOT sharing array or pool disks.

2 hours ago, EightBall said:

access this dev via SMB from any computer but that such shared UD wouldn't show up in that Section

Unassigned Devices don't participate in User Shares.

User Shares is how Unraid allows folders to span disks in the array and pools