Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 5/24/2021 at 3:42 PM, dlandon said:

Don't know how that's working.  This disk was formatted by Unraid:

/dev/sdg1: UUID="0cd04ece-dfe7-4c59-bff0-5ae6ef294aef" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"

I have figured out how to apply an encrypted file system label.  It will be in the next release.

Very nice for times like this when I have to move drives around between systems.

Along this same line, why are the btrfs formatted disks I made on ubuntu not mountable in UD? It does not even detect a file system?

Not a big deal in this case as they were not encrypted and I planned to reformat them anyways but found it odd.

I tried mounting it manually and they did mount up and work fine, UD just simply didn't detect the partition it seems.

5 hours ago, jortan said:

Very minor thing, but on systems with many disks, unassigned devices will show disks "out of order" when sdz rolls over to sdaa, sdab, etc.

Is there some logic that could be added to show disks in the "correct" order?

I need more information than this.  Post a screen shot that shows what you are talking about.

image.png.a24ee5b63c75f94889fef2eac20fea4a.png

Not a big deal but I figured it might be a one-liner to order these so sdaa comes after sdz.  This becomes more of an issue on another system where I have a lot of "unassigned devices" that are used in ZFS pools.  Disks plugged in to that system drop in to the middle of a long list of unassigned devices instead of the bottom of the list.

Edited by jortan
4 minutes ago, jortan said:

image.png.a24ee5b63c75f94889fef2eac20fea4a.png

Not a big deal but I figured it might be a one-liner to order these so sdaa comes after sdz.  This becomes more of an issue on another system where I have a lot of "unassigned devices" that are used in ZFS pools.  Disks plugged in to that system drop in to the middle of a long list of unassigned devices instead of the bottom of the list.

I understand, but I have no way of testing.  I'll include a potential fix in the next release for you to try.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Eric22 said:

I've downloaded ud and ud+ to my server to attach my ssd to my array. I attempted to format  and mount the disk and unraid is not allowing me to do so.  Here are the diagnostics and the photos.  Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

thebomb-diagnostics-20210526-1445.zip 164.97 kB · 0 downloads

Not seeing any screen shots.

Is the 'Mount' button grayed out?

One of your disks is struggling:

May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ACPI: Thermal Zone [PCT0] (17 C)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: READ LOG DMA EXT failed, trying PIO
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: failed to get NCQ Send/Recv Log Emask 0x1
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: failed to get NCQ Non-Data Log Emask 0x1
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: ATA-9: WDC WD120EMFZ-11A6JA0, X1G1X2ZL, 81.00A81, max UDMA/133
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: 23437770752 sectors, multi 0: LBA48 NCQ (depth 32), AA
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: failed to get NCQ Send/Recv Log Emask 0x1
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: failed to get NCQ Non-Data Log Emask 0x1
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      WDC WD120EMFZ-11 0A81 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] 23437770752 512-byte logical blocks: (12.0 TB/10.9 TiB)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] 4096-byte physical blocks
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2: failed to read log page 10h (errno=-5)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: exception Emask 0x1 SAct 0x1000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: irq_stat 0x40000000
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: cmd 60/08:60:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/40 tag 12 ncq dma 4096 in
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel:         res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x1 (device error)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: status: { DRDY }
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: both IDENTIFYs aborted, assuming NODEV
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2: hard resetting link

And your log is loaded with this:

May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
May 24 18:13:59 TheBomb kernel: ata2: EH complete

2 minutes ago, Eric22 said:

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  That's crazy. lol Now it works!!!!!! Thanks.    Another question.  according to the log , another one of my disks ai strugling.  How do know which one it is ?

I asked if you tried Yes instead of yes in your original thread, and you said it didn't work.

Curious, I have a bunch of drives plugged into the server at the moment, I keep manually spinning them down but for some reason they will spin up again within a few minutes?

With them being unmounted I would not think there is anything that would cause them to spin up. Any ideas what is causing the spin up?

26 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Curious, I have a bunch of drives plugged into the server at the moment, I keep manually spinning them down but for some reason they will spin up again within a few minutes?

With them being unmounted I would not think there is anything that would cause them to spin up. Any ideas what is causing the spin up?

You need to post diagnostics.  6.8.3 and 6.9 deal with the spin down differently.

2 hours ago, Eric22 said:

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  That's crazy. lol Now it works!!!!!! Thanks.    Another question.  according to the log , another one of my disks ai strugling.  How do know which one it is ?

Click on the icon to the left of the 'Identification' and it will show the ata number.

31 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

If you are using 6.9.2 there are some issues with spin ups, I reverted to 6.9.1 you could try 6.9.1

New release of UD.  Many small cosmetic and minor bug fixes.  One thing that is new is that files will be sync'd before a disk is unmounted.  This will flush all the disk writes to the physical disk before the disk is unmounted.  When this happens, you'll see the 'Unmounting' indicator on the 'Mount' button while syncing.  It may show for quite a while.  In your scripts that automount a pluggable disk, you should have a:

sync -f $MOUNTPOINT

in the 'UNMOUNT' case of your script.  The default script now has this included.  In any scripts where this is missing, UD will take care of it when the disk is unmounted.  This will help with cleaner unmounts.

Still sorting out cable/drive issues and have not got it started back up yet but had another question I ran across.

While I am in here, I am curious how the user scripts part of UD is supposed to work?

I have a user script that I would like executed after mounting a drive (creates a snapshot of drive). It looks like it wants me to select a user script file in the "script file" input but when I try it will never populate the path from the dropdown menu?

The "user script" input is grayed out and will not let me enter anything.

I tried coping the script contents into the "script content" section at one point but it didn't seem to work and gave me no output to debug it.

Is it possible to just trigger a user script when a drive is mounted (preferably with the user script background logging enabled)? I could not figure out the UD scripting layout and it always failed.

Edited by TexasUnraid
2 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

Still sorting out cable/drive issues and have not got it started back up yet but had another question I ran across.

While I am in here, I am curious how the user scripts part of UD is supposed to work?

I have a user script that I would like executed after mounting a drive (creates a snapshot of drive). It looks like it wants me to select a user script file in the "script file" input but when I try it will never populate the path from the dropdown menu?

The "user script" input is grayed out and will not let me enter anything.

I tried coping the script contents into the "script content" section at one point but it didn't seem to work and gave me no output to debug it.

Is it possible to just trigger a user script when a drive is mounted (preferably with the user script background logging enabled)? I could not figure out the UD scripting layout and it always failed.

The 'Script File' is the file that runs when the drive is installed.  You could run the User Script when the 'ADD' case in the default script is triggered.

You have to be aware that you can not run an executable file on the flash drive.  Copy it to /tmp/, chmod to executable and run it from the /tmp/ location.

The User Script field is only there to allow UD to indicate ('Running' on the mount button) when the User Script is running.  Most likely you'd have the UD disk mounted and the User script would run at a specific time.  The User Script field is grayed out because you have to have a Script File defined.

Ok, user script in this context is literally just a script that the user created and not a script in the user script plugin. That was throwing me off big time.

Sadly easier and simpler to just manually run the user script then try to get the automated script working with UD and then have to manage scripts in multiple places. It would be so cool if the plugins could work together.

A basic option in UD to kick off a user script "run in background" task just as if I had pressed the button manually.

Not a huge deal, I have been manually running the snapshot script and can keep doing so.

Ever since installing 6.9.1, I can't mount a SMB or NFS share, from my Diskstation, using the Unassigned Devices plugin. I have reinstalled the plugin and installed the plus plugin. Nothing seems to work.  When adding the share, it sees the server and the shares, it just won't mount them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

image.png.c79660de55f7a8071abbf7318595c11c.png

Edited by n8johnson
unraid version was incorrect
2 minutes ago, n8johnson said:

Ever since installing 5.9.1, I can't mount a SMB or NFS share, from my Diskstation, using the Unassigned Devices plugin. I have reinstalled the plugin and installed the plus plugin. Nothing seems to work.  When adding the share, it sees the server and the shares, it just won't mount them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

image.png.c79660de55f7a8071abbf7318595c11c.png

What is 5.9.1?

Try using the IP address of the server, not the server name.

Post diagnostics.