Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, 188pilas said:

I am having a similar issue as TeeNoodle indicates where UD just hangs on main page. Attached is the syslog. Will hold off rebooting to avoid an unnecessary parity check.  I was moving some data from the array to an UD WD 8TB drive. Any guidance/assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

omega-syslog-20190221-1647.zip

image.png

The best I can tell, you were copying to a UD remote mounted share.  I don't know your network configuration, but the log shows some network issues.

Feb 21 15:53:41 Omega kernel: mlx4_en: eth4: Link Down
Feb 21 15:53:41 Omega kernel: br4: port 1(eth4) entered disabled state
Feb 21 15:54:33 Omega kernel: mlx4_en: eth4: Link Up
Feb 21 15:54:33 Omega kernel: br4: port 1(eth4) entered blocking state
Feb 21 15:54:33 Omega kernel: br4: port 1(eth4) entered forwarding state
Feb 21 15:54:33 Omega kernel: mlx4_en: eth4: Link Down
Feb 21 15:54:33 Omega kernel: mlx4_en: eth4: Link Up
Feb 21 15:54:38 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal
Feb 21 15:54:38 Omega kernel: reconnect tcon failed rc = -2
Feb 21 15:54:40 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal
Feb 21 15:54:42 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal
Feb 21 15:54:44 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal
Feb 21 15:54:46 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal
Feb 21 15:54:48 Omega kernel: CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\192.168.10.4\personal

Unless you have a need to log the mover, you should disable it.  It floods your log with mover actions.

 

You should also review your log and see what you need to do to clear up some other issues.

Feb 21 16:11:57 Omega rpcbind[6974]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to getport/addr(mountd)
Feb 21 16:11:57 Omega rpcbind[6975]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to getport/addr(mountd)
Feb 21 16:11:57 Omega rpcbind[6976]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to getport/addr(mountd)
Feb 21 16:11:57 Omega rpcbind[6978]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to getport/addr(mountd)
Feb 21 16:12:00 Omega rpcbind[7116]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to null()
Feb 21 16:12:00 Omega rpcbind[7117]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to getport/addr(mountd)
Feb 21 16:12:00 Omega rpcbind[7118]: connect from 192.168.10.30 to null()
eb 20 17:16:35 Omega root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.02.18
Feb 20 17:16:35 Omega root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share isos set to not use the cache, but files / folders exist on the cache drive
Feb 20 17:16:36 Omega root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Deprecated plugin fix.common.problems.plg
Feb 20 17:16:39 Omega root: Fix Common Problems: Other Warning: CPU possibly will not throttle down frequency at idle
Feb 20 17:16:40 Omega root: Fix Common Problems: Other Warning: Mover logging is enabled ** Ignored

 

Link to comment
7 hours ago, therapist said:

Can btrfs balance -dconvert be done on the fly w/ data existing or must the disks be cleared beforehand?

No need to clear the data as long as it fits in the new profile, though it will take more time depending on how much data there is and backing up anything important before starting is always a good idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, thestraycat said:

Not sure why but for a while now my unassigned device is always intermittantly every second or so using 100% of a thread on a cpu... Any idea why? No VM's and all docker containers stopped. Fluctates between high 90's% and 100% on one thread.

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 00.50.44.png

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to help you.  What is the device used for?

 

Post diagnostics so we can take a look.

Link to comment

I'll grab some logs, but was wondering if it was a known issue at all? The device is simply used once a week at 5am on a Sunday as a flat file destination for container backup data using (the depreciated) CA backup v1 plugin. It's never used or accessed by anything else which is why I'm surprised it's being queried every second or so too list it's open files as shown by htop a reboot dosnt fix it either strangely. 

Edited by thestraycat
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, thestraycat said:

I'll grab some logs, but was wondering if it was a known issue at all? The device is simply used once a week at 5am on a Sunday as a flat file destination for container backup data using (the depreciated) CA backup v1 plugin. It's never used or accessed by anything else which is why I'm surprised it's being queried every second or so too list it's open files as shown by htop a reboot dosnt fix it either strangely. 

It looks to be from the preclear plugin.  Remove it and see if it makes a difference.

Link to comment

Halo.

 

I have got three unraid machines. Now I want to copy files from one unraid to another in base of mounting nfs shares and on command line with midnight commander. But I cant see all the nfs shares. The settings of the nfs shares all the same and the names are different. Why do I not see all nfs shares from one unraid to another. I have mounted the nfs shares on three linux mint servers in the fstab without any problems. Is there a possibility to mount the nfs shares manually in UD.

 

Best Regards, Hermann from Austria.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, hermannp said:

Halo.

 

I have got three unraid machines. Now I want to copy files from one unraid to another in base of mounting nfs shares and on command line with midnight commander. But I cant see all the nfs shares. The settings of the nfs shares all the same and the names are different. Why do I not see all nfs shares from one unraid to another. I have mounted the nfs shares on three linux mint servers in the fstab without any problems. Is there a possibility to mount the nfs shares manually in UD.

 

Best Regards, Hermann from Austria.

Where is it that you don't see the NFS shares?

 

From the UD gui, click on the 'Add Remote SMB/NFS Share', select the 'NFS' protocol, then fill in the 'Host/IP' address of the remote server and the 'Share'.  You should be able to mount it then.

Link to comment

Hi,

 

Thank you for your fast response. I have made it from the UD gui, selected NFS protocol, filled in the Host/IP address of the remote server and load shares. Now not all NFS shares are visible. In the moment I mace it with protocol SMB. With protocol SMB all shares are visible. I prefer NFS in fact of the network speed.

 

Best Regards, Hermann from Austria.

 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, hermannp said:

Hi,

 

Thank you for your fast response. I have made it from the UD gui, selected NFS protocol, filled in the Host/IP address of the remote server and load shares. Now not all NFS shares are visible. In the moment I mace it with protocol SMB. With protocol SMB all shares are visible. I prefer NFS in fact of the network speed.

 

Best Regards, Hermann from Austria.

 

Instead of using 'Load Shares', just enter the name of the share manually.

Link to comment

Hi!

I am another newbie trying to get around a issue I have with my UNRAID server and the Unassigned Devices plugin

I use  UNRAID 6.7.0-rc2 and Unassigned Devices Plugin version 2019.02.12

 

The plugin GUI stops working after a while for me on both my servers. The area in the main tab just have the UNRAID logo looping endlessly... 

Here if from one of the servers
 

MAIN tab

image.thumb.png.b8bec99253b9647be187777b3e3256f1.png

The same loop appears if I try to open the plugins page for Unassigned Devices directly

 

If I reboot the server, the Unassigned Devices plugin works as usual for a while, but then it starts with the above issue again.

 

Clearly I have been messing around with something I should not have messed around with, but I am unable to figure out what.

 

When checking the logs, I see this information, but I can't see why it would sink Unassigned devices

 

LOG

image.png.b2f678d14e93e1078d16037a95112a6a.png

 

192.168.168.214 = UNRAID Server

192.168.168.210 = The client I use to connect to UNRAID server using Chrome

 

Is there a known standard fix for the Unassigned devices not showing up properly after a while without having to restart the server entirely to make it work for a while again, or are there several different areas to investigate? Anyone got any ideas what to check?

 

Thank you!

 

Regards

HoBBiS

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, hobbis said:

Hi!

I am another newbie trying to get around a issue I have with my UNRAID server and the Unassigned Devices plugin

I use  UNRAID 6.7.0-rc2 and Unassigned Devices Plugin version 2019.02.12

 

The plugin GUI stops working after a while for me on both my servers. The area in the main tab just have the UNRAID logo looping endlessly... 

Here if from one of the servers
 

MAIN tab

image.thumb.png.b8bec99253b9647be187777b3e3256f1.png

The same loop appears if I try to open the plugins page for Unassigned Devices directly

 

If I reboot the server, the Unassigned Devices plugin works as usual for a while, but then it starts with the above issue again.

 

Clearly I have been messing around with something I should not have messed around with, but I am unable to figure out what.

 

When checking the logs, I see this information, but I can't see why it would sink Unassigned devices

 

LOG

image.png.b2f678d14e93e1078d16037a95112a6a.png

 

192.168.168.214 = UNRAID Server

192.168.168.210 = The client I use to connect to UNRAID server using Chrome

 

Is there a known standard fix for the Unassigned devices not showing up properly after a while without having to restart the server entirely to make it work for a while again, or are there several different areas to investigate? Anyone got any ideas what to check?

 

Thank you!

 

Regards

HoBBiS

Post a screen shot of UD when it loads properly.  I need to see what devices you are mounting.  Also post your diagnostics.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, hobbis said:

Hi!

I am another newbie trying to get around a issue I have with my UNRAID server and the Unassigned Devices plugin

I use  UNRAID 6.7.0-rc2 and Unassigned Devices Plugin version 2019.02.12

 

The plugin GUI stops working after a while for me on both my servers. The area in the main tab just have the UNRAID logo looping endlessly... 

Here if from one of the servers
 

MAIN tab

image.thumb.png.b8bec99253b9647be187777b3e3256f1.png

The same loop appears if I try to open the plugins page for Unassigned Devices directly

 

If I reboot the server, the Unassigned Devices plugin works as usual for a while, but then it starts with the above issue again.

 

Clearly I have been messing around with something I should not have messed around with, but I am unable to figure out what.

 

When checking the logs, I see this information, but I can't see why it would sink Unassigned devices

 

LOG

image.png.b2f678d14e93e1078d16037a95112a6a.png

 

192.168.168.214 = UNRAID Server

192.168.168.210 = The client I use to connect to UNRAID server using Chrome

 

Is there a known standard fix for the Unassigned devices not showing up properly after a while without having to restart the server entirely to make it work for a while again, or are there several different areas to investigate? Anyone got any ideas what to check?

 

Thank you!

 

Regards

HoBBiS

 

Upgrade unRaid to latest RC 5. Early RC Kernels have large issues that can cause system stability issues. Try that first.

Link to comment

I'm running Version: 6.6.7 and i'm having 

On 3/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, BRiT said:

 

Upgrade unRaid to latest RC 5. Early RC Kernels have large issues that can cause system stability issues. Try that first.

I am having similar issues with Unassigned drives using Version: 6.6.7, do you know if there were any issues with this version?

 

I have two unraid systems that mount each others shares. If one goes down the unassigned drives disappears and the icon starts "spinning". From there I can no longer stop the array or restart any dockers. I have to hard shut down the system and from there make sure I start both arrays at the same time so they both see each other. 

 

Not sure if this sounds familiar but I'll try to recreate it tomorrow morning when I don't need the systems up and post a diagnostics log.

 

also this did not happen on version 6.5.2

Edited by Wavey
added the last sentence
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, Wavey said:

I'm running Version: 6.6.7 and i'm having 

I am having similar issues with Unassigned drives using Version: 6.6.7, do you know if there were any issues with this version?

 

I have two unraid systems that mount each others shares. If one goes down the unassigned drives disappears and the icon starts "spinning". From there I can no longer stop the array or restart any dockers. I have to hard shut down the system and from there make sure I start both arrays at the same time so they both see each other. 

 

Not sure if this sounds familiar but I'll try to recreate it tomorrow morning when I don't need the systems up and post a diagnostics log.

 

also this did not happen on version 6.5.2

I am totally baffled about why you would cross mount shares and re-share folders that are already shared and visible on the network.  Why do you do this?  What does it accomplish?  Can you not see the complexity in doing this?  You have to time the mounting of the shares to when each server is available.  Each server depends on the other server and the network to keep the shares available.

 

How are you using the remote shares locally?  SMB or NFS?  How are they shared remotely?  SMB or NFS?

 

About the only thing I could possibly do is to unmount the remote share if the remote server goes offline.  Of course then I'll hear all about how the shares are getting unmounted when there is even a minor glitch in the network.

Link to comment
35 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I am totally baffled about why you would cross mount shares and re-share folders that are already shared and visible on the network.  Why do you do this?  What does it accomplish?  Can you not see the complexity in doing this?  You have to time the mounting of the shares to when each server is available.  Each server depends on the other server and the network to keep the shares available.

 

How are you using the remote shares locally?  SMB or NFS?  How are they shared remotely?  SMB or NFS?

 

About the only thing I could possibly do is to unmount the remote share if the remote server goes offline.  Of course then I'll hear all about how the shares are getting unmounted when there is even a minor glitch in the network.

I‘m not super versed in linux and mostly use tutorials to set things up. how else would my dockers see my other NAS?

 

Nas 1 has smb shares on it

Nas 2 has a docker that needs to see the shares on Nas 1

 

How else would my docker in NAS 2 see those shares if I dont mount them to it? 

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I am totally baffled about why you would cross mount shares and re-share folders 

wait you said reshare, is there a way to mount the shares using unassigned drives that doesnt reshare them? I used to mount shares using script in the boot file lr whatever that file is, sorry again linux isnt my best, but thought unassigned drives would be a better visual choice.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Wavey said:

How else would my docker in NAS 2 see those shares if I dont mount them to it? 

What docker is it specifically? Plex for example has always had the ability to use files shared on the network in its media library.

 

Does Nas 1 also need to mount shares on Nas 2? I think that is the main point he was making.

Link to comment
  • trurl pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.