Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

Recommended Posts

Just now, sota said:

agreed. /mnt/remote sounds like the right place to put remote stuff, not with disks.

 

I dunno... can you do a mini-update that does a screen blast, warning people that at some (un?)specified point you're changing the code?

I'm pondering a solution that no one will even notice.  I'm thinking of mounting remote shares to /mnt/remotes and adding symlinks to the /mnt/disks/ mount point for remote shares so all existing apps will still work, and recommend that as people add new apps, and modify older apps, they begin to use the /mnt/remotes mount point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I'm pondering a solution that no one will even notice.  I'm thinking of mounting remote shares to /mnt/remotes and adding symlinks to the /mnt/disks/ mount point for remote shares so all existing apps will still work, and recommend that as people add new apps, and modify older apps, they begin to use the /mnt/remotes mount point.

I agree with others that using /mnt/remotes is still a good plan. I was able to correct my mount issues after restarting unRAID and of course updating to the latest revision that reverts the change. The symlink idea also came to me while thinking about how to change all my Docker and VM paths that used the /mnt/disks mountpoints. At least using symlinks shouldn't require users to unmount their remote shares before updating.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, TexasUnraid said:

Times like this is where a script / plugin to update all the docker/VM at once would be amazing. Always hard to know if you got them all when done manually.

Is there really that much mapping to remote share local mounts?  Somebody give me some examples please.  I'm just not getting it.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Is there really that much mapping to remote share local mounts?  Somebody give me some examples please.  I'm just not getting it.

Not this particular situation so much as in general when a path needs to be changed or you want to change a path but the effort to find all the mappings can get annoying lol.

 

I just had to deal with this, so it is kind of a fresh wound lol.

Link to comment
Just now, TexasUnraid said:

Not this particular situation so much as in general when a path needs to be changed or you want to change a path but the effort to find all the mappings can get annoying lol.

 

I just had to deal with this, so it is kind of a fresh wound lol.

You're talking about mappings in general, not necessarily remote shares?

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You're talking about mappings in general, not necessarily remote shares?

Correct, I should of made that clearer.

 

It would be really nice to be able to see and then edit all the paths for dockers / VM's in one location.

 

Possibly laid out in a format listing all the paths and then able to click each path and see what all it is assigned to.

 

Along with a search option and filters to see any paths linked to the array, cache, user etc so you can track down rouge mappings.

 

This allows for several things, you can more easily find rouge mappings, you can then edit mappings in bulk and ensure that mappings match between containers when needed.

 

It would be a cool plugin if someone made it that is for sure.

Edited by TexasUnraid
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Correct, I should of made that clearer.

 

It would be really nice to be able to see and then edit all the paths for dockers / VM's in one location.

 

Possibly laid out in a format listing all the paths and then able to click each path and see what all it is assigned to.

 

Along with a search option and filters to see any paths linked to the array, cache, user etc so you can track down rouge mappings.

 

This allows for several things, you can more easily find rouge mappings, you can then edit mappings in bulk and ensure that mappings match between containers when needed.

 

It would be a cool plugin if someone made it that is for sure.

I could see the use for that.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, dlandon said:

I could see the use for that.

Fix Common Problems reported the fact that /mnt/remotes had been created but that's fairly easy to detect. It already scans paths in Docker containers reporting on errors like forgetting to set the path as 'R/W Slave' so it might not be a big ask to add this functionality.

 

Link to comment

/mnt/remotes is a good plan but it has a couple of disadvantages. I have a lot of my own rsync scripts which uses /mnt/disks shares, so I need to change paths in all of them and it's quite a long operation. Maybe you should add a option, so users can choose where they want to see their remote shares? Or just leave as it is. It's not a big deal in fact, /mnt/disks or /mnt/remotes, it's just a path, it does not introduce new functionality.

Edited by SuberSeb
Link to comment
1 hour ago, SuberSeb said:

/mnt/remotes is a good plan but it has a couple of disadvantages. I have a lot of my own rsync scripts which uses /mnt/disks shares, so I need to change paths in all of them and it's quite a long operation. Maybe you should add a option, so users can choose where they want to see their remote shares? Or just leave as it is. It's not a big deal in fact, /mnt/disks or /mnt/remotes, it's just a path, it does not introduce new functionality.

Maybe your script should be written with the mount point as a global variable so it can be changed in one place without a script rewrite.  I'd suggest you do that for future compatibility.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

Remote shares are now mounted at /mnt/remotes and not /mnt/disks to separate the mount points for disk devices and remote shares. 

IMHO this becomes messy. May I suggest to collect all mount points of Unassigned Devices under one unique root? Call it UD or whatever but put them together please. E.g. /mnt/UD/remotes and /mnt/UD/disks. It becomes obvious then that these mount points belong to your plugin.

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, hawihoney said:

IMHO this becomes messy. May I suggest to collect all mount points of Unassigned Devices under one unique root? Call it UD or whatever but put them together please. E.g. /mnt/UD/remotes and /mnt/UD/disks. It becomes obvious then that these mount points belong to your plugin.

 

All UD mounts will remain available in /mnt/disks.  I will be implementing the /mnt/remotes for remote shares with symlinks to /mnt/disks so nothing will have to change.  The use of /mnt/remotes mount point will be optional.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, lzl20110 said:

Is there a delay or timing added to the automount? I tried to use User Scripts, but the effect is not ideal.

The automount of disks is done on the server event "disks_mounted" so UD disks are mounted when VMs and Docker containers are started.

 

The automount of remote shares is done on the server event "started" so the network is available and the mounts will be successful.

 

When you say a user script is not ideal, what does that mean?

Link to comment
On 12/1/2020 at 12:03 AM, dlandon said:

Post diagnostics.

I don't think the disk is going off line.  I don't see anything in the log that indicates it went offline.  It looks like UD is throwing php errors when getting the unassigned disks.  I've fixed the php errors.  This will be in the next release.  You won't see them, but if the process of getting the unassigned disks fails, none of your disks will show.

 

I suspect a problem with disk information when a disk is hot plugged.  Does this issue show up at random, or is there an event like a disk being hot plugged and then the problem shows?

 

Start with your server freshly booted and wait for the issue to happen.  When it does, post here and I'll walk you through some trouble shooting steps.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.